concerts....who you seeing?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Sudy

Re: concerts....who you seeing?

Post by Sudy »

The Native Howl (out of Michigan) are outstanding! Way heavier live than their recordings suggested to me. Thrash (blue)grass is correct. The banjo's played clean, and sometimes the guitar. They remind me of the concept of Toronto's own Johnny Nocash's death country. Fantastic all around!

Orbit Culture and Avatar up next, so excited.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Madmarcus wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:02 am I haven't been to a concert in 10+ years but now that I'm near my brother I've got someone to go with. We might be the only 55+ guys seeing The Dreadnoughts on Oct 20. Which I figured I should mention here because I think it was someone on OO that first turned me on to The Dreadnoughts ages ago.
Dunno if it was me but I saw them I want to say 2008 for Polka's Not Dead and they were fantastic. They've never been back this way and rightfully so, they only played to like 50 people. But they played out of their minds for us and were so much fun.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I think being on the edge of the pit is harder than being it....

I got to cradle this guy's head as he fell. It was fuzzy.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Saw Arctic Monkeys tonight in Portland at the Moda Center. Opening for them was Fontaines D.C.

This was the 4th time I've seen the Arctic Monkeys, one of my favorite bands, and they didn't disappoint. Great set. We also made a point to show up to see Fontaines D.C., a band I hadn't actually listened to before learning they'd be the opening act for this show. Listened to them a little over the weekend and became really interested. Their opening set was brief, and their stage presence was incredibly unpolished compared to the Arctic Monkeys, who've become a great live show over time. But Fontaines D.C. killed it. Seriously good band. Check them out!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Kurth wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:06 am Saw Arctic Monkeys tonight in Portland at the Moda Center. Opening for them was Fontaines D.C.

This was the 4th time I've seen the Arctic Monkeys, one of my favorite bands, and they didn't disappoint. Great set. We also made a point to show up to see Fontaines D.C., a band I hadn't actually listened to before learning they'd be the opening act for this show. Listened to them a little over the weekend and became really interested. Their opening set was brief, and their stage presence was incredibly unpolished compared to the Arctic Monkeys, who've become a great live show over time. But Fontaines D.C. killed it. Seriously good band. Check them out!
Random Arctic Monkey aside.

At ComicCon on Friday, I counted at least a dozen people walking around wearing the exact same Arctic Monkeys t-shirt. They apparently played Salt Lake on Thursday, so a bunch of people had bought the t-shirt.

I had actually never heard of the band before, so I thought it was a new anime that people were doing some sort of viral promotion for. :lol:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

went to White River Ampitheatre for the first time last week. it's waaaaaaay the hell down in Auburn on the Muckleshoot tribal lands so it's a huge pain to get there (didn't even go for **original lineup** The Damned opening for The Misfits with Glenn Danzig, or any of Slayer's final shows) - you need a motor vehicle and since there's only one road in and out, the traffic jams post-show are legendary...but i found $20 tickets for this Rob Zombie/Alice Cooper/Ministry/Filter tour back in May or June and i bought two to bribe my friend to drive - since she used to be a big Rob Zombie fan, it was an easy persuasion. anyways, we intentionally skipped Filter cuz they are dumb - good thing too since it took an hour and a half to get to the venue. Ministry played a 45 minute set and made the most of it - first time i have ever seen them where the most songs played from any album was The Land of Rape and Honey **not complaining** and closing with new track "Goddamn White Trash" which was a great choice for this particular venue. AND NO MOSH PIT WHATSOEVER what the hell, that was weird. venue rules? Alice Cooper played a set of almost all 70's and 80's 'greatest hits', with two newer tracks in the setlist (and nothing from his latest album). needed to see this guy live once before he kicks the bucket since he's like 75 years old now (when the video camera was super zoomed in on his facial profile he looks hella old, but from a distance he could pass a good 20 years younger) and he had the boa constrictor on stage for 'Snakebite' (i don't know the new snek's name). it wasn't the super-theatrical show that e.g. "Welcome to My Nightmare" was, but it was good enough. i was kinda dreading having to sit through Mr. Zombie's set, but my friend suggested leaving right after, so i was happy for that.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

last night was Tangerine Dream **with no original members** (Edgar Froese died in 2017, c'est la vie) but that just means the show was way cheaper than it otherwise would have been. i do like what these 'young'uns' are doing with the band. played a lot of older tracks but updated, sometimes modified, sometimes heavily altered. i liked how they were taking whole _sides_ from the old officially-released live albums and re-making them. they also played the "City Map Screen" music from GTA V, haha

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/tangerin ... 38247.html
Formix

Post by Formix »

OK, a highly controversial choice, I know. Heading to Lost Wages to see U2 at the Sphere. I get all the criticism of the lads but, dammit, I like em, and the Sphere is a technological thing that I really want to experience. I've only been to Vegas once, wasn't really for me, but this trip, with my wife and friends, I'm hoping will be more fun.
disarm

Post by disarm »

I'm not a U2 fan, but that show could be a worthwhile experience just because of the Sphere. The videos I've seen of animations playing on the outside are pretty surreal...hardly looks real to see a moving image on something that massive.
Last edited by disarm on Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

disarm wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:58 amI'm not a U2,
You're at least a C-130.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Formix wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:39 am OK, a highly controversial choice, I know. Heading to Lost Wages to see U2 at the Sphere. I get all the criticism of the lads but, dammit, I like em, and the Sphere is a technological thing that I really want to experience. I've only been to Vegas once, wasn't really for me, but this trip, with my wife and friends, I'm hoping will be more fun.
I'm heading there to see this later in October. Looking forward to hearing your review!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

disarm wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:58 am I'm not a U2 fan, but that show could be a worthwhile experience just because of the Sphere. The videos I've seen of animations playing on the outside are pretty surreal...hardly looks real to see a moving image on something that massive.
I would put U2 very near the top of my least favorite bands in the entire world, but even I would go suffer through them just to see the spectacle of the Sphere.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You can just drop $50 for THE SPHERE EXPERIENCE.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Ministry, Gary Numan, and Front Line Assembly have announced for winter/spring. Some of the pre-sales are already up, around here anyway. Public on Friday. :horse:

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Journey and Toto in February! I can't wait. I wish it was Steve Perry's Journey but that just ain't happening.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sudy wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:59 pm Ministry, Gary Numan, and Front Line Assembly have announced for winter/spring. Some of the pre-sales are already up, around here anyway. Public on Friday. :horse:
Bummed that one's not coming here, as I'd love to see them again. All three put on a fantastic show last time.

Igorrr is tomorrow night. They're one of my last few remaining "bucket list" bands, playing a completely insane blend of baroque classical, techno rave, death metal, and opera. Heard it described once as "Post Apocalyptic Cabaret", which feels fitting. I'm so gorram excited.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I couldn't make the Toronto show unfortunately, but I had some acquaintances who enjoyed it. Or Igorrr, anyway... don't think they were down with Otto Von Schirach. :lol:

I'm seeing Wolves In The Throne Room/Blackbraid/Gaerea/Hoaxed tomorrow and I'm stoked, I've really enjoyed what I've heard of each band.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sudy wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:42 pm don't think they were down with Otto Von Schirach
He opened for SP once. One of the worst sets I've ever suffered through, and I've seen lots of bad openers. He was truly awful. We're doing dinner and showing up fashionably late tomorrow night instead of sitting through that.
Sudy wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:42 pm I'm seeing Wolves In The Throne Room/Blackbraid/Gaerea/Hoaxed tomorrow and I'm stoked, I've really enjoyed what I've heard of each band.
I've seen WitTR a couple times, and they're always excellent. Remind me of a harsher Agalloch. I haven't seen Blackbraid, but I love, love, love his new album. Gaerea is hit and miss. First album was awesome, last album was meh.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Formix wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:39 am OK, a highly controversial choice, I know. Heading to Lost Wages to see U2 at the Sphere. I get all the criticism of the lads but, dammit, I like em, and the Sphere is a technological thing that I really want to experience. I've only been to Vegas once, wasn't really for me, but this trip, with my wife and friends, I'm hoping will be more fun.
Please post your impressions of The Sphere facility itself. We have tix for Postcards From Earth next month and I am stoked to see it.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Z-Corn wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:55 am
Please post your impressions of The Sphere facility itself. We have tix for Postcards From Earth next month and I am stoked to see it.
I’m curious to hear too.

I have a friend that was at the U2 opening and said it was “insanely awesome”. (The Sphere)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

My co-worker is headed there tomorrow for the U2 sphere show. She promised to send me some videos.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I've seen still photos from a show inside the Sphere and it looks mind-blowing.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:16 pm Igorrr is tomorrow night. They're one of my last few remaining "bucket list" bands, playing a completely insane blend of baroque classical, techno rave, death metal, and opera. Heard it described once as "Post Apocalyptic Cabaret", which feels fitting. I'm so gorram excited.
This show was absolutely hilarious. Seemed like about half the crowd was fully into it, and the other half weren't quite sure what the hell was happening.

It's not often you get to run point on a "wall of death" during one song, then end up literally waltzing with some random 6'4" dude in the middle of the mosh pit during the next.

It was glorious.

We did show up about halfway through Otto's set. Maybe I've mellowed as I get older, but I found him more amusing than simply awful this time around. Melt Banana was meh. Noise rock has never really been my thing.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:35 pm Dunno if it was me but I saw them I want to say 2008 for Polka's Not Dead and they were fantastic. They've never been back this way and rightfully so, they only played to like 50 people. But they played out of their minds for us and were so much fun.
It was almost certainly you.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Just spent an ourtageous amount to get 8th row tix to see Foo Fighters next year at the soccer stadium :horse:
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Foo Fighters are playing at Providence Park which is the MLS stadium downtown. They use SeatGeek as their ticket broker and I tried to use my account to buy tix only to find it locked. I created an account with an alt email while I waited for them to unlock my main account but

I've never had a company just refuse to give me access to my account and suggest I go elsewhere. WTF
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Peter Gabriel was pretty good, with some definite highlights. half the concert was tracks from the yet-to-be-released new album (he played all but one track from it!)

had to look up info on the new record, i/o since i didn't want to know anything about it until i had heard it - this part is interesting:
"Both Mark 'Spike' Stent and Tchad Blake contributed a mix of each song from i/o. Gabriel said, "Rather than choosing only one of their mixes to release, I have decided that people should be able to hear all the great work that they are both doing." Stent's mixes are released as the 'Bright-Side Mix', while Blake's mixes are the 'Dark-Side Mix'. All the songs have each also received a third alternate mix in Dolby Atmos, called an 'In-Side Mix', by Hans-Martin Buff."

most of the new tracks sounded interesting so i'm definitely getting it, but this probably means i'm getting the 'deluxe edition' or whatever
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Exodor wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:08 pm I've never had a company just refuse to give me access to my account and suggest I go elsewhere. WTF
I just start from the baseline assumption that every single ticketing agency in existence is a hive of scum and villainy. Makes the inevitable WTFs a little easier to manage.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

2024 Sick New World lineup just announced.

My feeling is about the same as last year. This would be a KILLER Friday-Sunday festival, but cramming all of those bands into a single day? Uh, no thanks. You'd have to miss 2/3 of the bands you want to see, at least.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sudy wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:59 pm Ministry, Gary Numan, and Front Line Assembly have announced for winter/spring. Some of the pre-sales are already up, around here anyway. Public on Friday. :horse:
Numan just announced a few extra shows next spring with just FLA (no Ministry). Salt Lake is one of them! :dance:
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:15 pm 2024 Sick New World lineup just announced.

My feeling is about the same as last year. This would be a KILLER Friday-Sunday festival, but cramming all of those bands into a single day? Uh, no thanks. You'd have to miss 2/3 of the bands you want to see, at least.
only bands of interest for me:

SWANS (have seen numerous times)
Killing Joke (have seen numerous times)
slowdive (the slowdive show in Seattle next week sold out almost immediately, and it was a decent-sized venue as well. i don't get it.)
Danny Elfman
Helmet (a band i always seem to keep missing)
* Front 242 (have seen numerous times)
* Nitzer Ebb (have seen numerous times)
* Front Line Assembly (have seen numerous times)
*that right there is my dream lineup from three decades ago
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:25 pm Helmet (a band i always seem to keep missing)
Aw man, that stinks. I saw them play in a bar that is probably the size of your living room and kitchen put together. One dude was so into it, he pogo'd himself into a light rig hanging over the stage and Paige Hamilton just started laughing mid-song. I hope you can catch them somehow - they put on a great show.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:25 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:15 pm 2024 Sick New World lineup just announced.

only bands of interest for me:

SWANS (have seen numerous times)
Killing Joke (have seen numerous times)
slowdive (the slowdive show in Seattle next week sold out almost immediately, and it was a decent-sized venue as well. i don't get it.)
Danny Elfman
Helmet (a band i always seem to keep missing)
* Front 242 (have seen numerous times)
* Nitzer Ebb (have seen numerous times)
* Front Line Assembly (have seen numerous times)
*that right there is my dream lineup from three decades ago
For me, all those plus:
- SOAD (total guilty pleasure band)
- AIC (was my favorite grunge band, but I've never seen them live)
- Primus (watching Claypool is always amazing)
- She Past Away (very Sisters of Mercy/Joy Division'ish)
- Kim Dracula (goofy weirdness)
- Code Orange (not a huge fan of their music per se, but seen concert footage and they put on a crazy live show)
- Front 242
- Lords of Acid
- 3Teeth
- Combichrist
- Jinjer
- Fear Factory
- Polyphia

Hence why I'd be bugged if I missed most of them for a 1-day fest.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i spaced on buying tickets to Ministry/Gary Numan/Front Line Assembly and ofc it's sold out now. >:{
Formix

Post by Formix »

Okay, so Sphere was INSANE. U2 did a fantastic show, but if you're not a fan, you're probably not interested, and if you are, you would have been very happy.

But Sphere, wow.
First of all the sound. We're all used to concerts being "too loud". This was not. It was just on the edge of it, but generally just, I'm at a concert loud. And perfect. No muddy bass, nothing. The clarity of everyone was like nothing I've heard short of some very high-end audiophile setups. Those 150,000 speakers really work!
And the screen was almost unbelievable. I've been doing high-end AV for over 20 years, so I'm used to playing the game "What's the smallest detail I can see"? So the Edge was 25 feet tall, and I can tell you the manufacturer of his sneakers, if he has something in his pocket, and I can almost tell you what he has the volume knob on his guitar set to. Absurdly good.

If you have the slightest inclination that you might want to go see this show, go.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

So I kinda saw Taylor Swift again with the Eras Tour movie today. I'm sure it's great for those who didn't get a chance to see it live; but it doesn't offer much new for those that did. No behind-the-scenes, and a few songs and costume changes were cut for time. Would've probably been better with a good crowd. We went to a noon showing that was only about 1/4 full, so it was a weirdly subdued experience.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Formix wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:26 am Okay, so Sphere was INSANE. U2 did a fantastic show, but if you're not a fan, you're probably not interested, and if you are, you would have been very happy.

But Sphere, wow.
First of all the sound. We're all used to concerts being "too loud". This was not. It was just on the edge of it, but generally just, I'm at a concert loud. And perfect. No muddy bass, nothing. The clarity of everyone was like nothing I've heard short of some very high-end audiophile setups. Those 150,000 speakers really work!
And the screen was almost unbelievable. I've been doing high-end AV for over 20 years, so I'm used to playing the game "What's the smallest detail I can see"? So the Edge was 25 feet tall, and I can tell you the manufacturer of his sneakers, if he has something in his pocket, and I can almost tell you what he has the volume knob on his guitar set to. Absurdly good.

If you have the slightest inclination that you might want to go see this show, go.
Thank you for the impressions!

I just read U2 agreed to do 12 more shows in January and February and that they get 90% of the tix sales, which is at least $1,000,000 per show. Not too shabby of a payday...
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

We went and saw a local band over the weekend and it was a blast - Bond Girl:

Their whole gig is based around "Spy Rock"! Such a cool concept - they played a bunch of the James Bond songs, the themes to Bond, Mission Impossible, The Avengers (John Steed/Emma Peel, not Marvel ;) ) Secret Agent Man, some Shirley Bassey (she did a bunch of Bond songs), etc.

I had a huge grin on my face for both of the sets we stayed for (it was Sunday night, so literally a school night as I work at a University), and (of course) had to have a Vodka Martini (shaken, not stirred) for the show!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

YellowKing wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:18 pm So I kinda saw Taylor Swift again with the Eras Tour movie today. I'm sure it's great for those who didn't get a chance to see it live; but it doesn't offer much new for those that did. No behind-the-scenes, and a few songs and costume changes were cut for time. Would've probably been better with a good crowd. We went to a noon showing that was only about 1/4 full, so it was a weirdly subdued experience.
We were at the theater Saturday to see another movie and in a 20 theater multipleplex I'd say 18 of them were showing the Taylor Swift concert film. They had a showing every 15 minutes. At noon-ish it was pretty empty but apparently it pulled in ~$100M so I guess it did OK. We couldn't get tickets to the tour but didn't bother with the concert film - it's just not the same.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Saw U2 do Auchtung Baby at the Sphere in Las Vegas last night. Amazing!!