concerts....who you seeing?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: concerts....who you seeing?

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Excited with the new Orion Amphitheater (designed by Ben Lovett of Mumford & Sons) opening this summer we will be getting bands that often bypassed us for Birmingham or Nashville. Styx may be my first concert there although Dave Matthews, Black Crowes and My Morning Jacket are tempting also.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Psycho Las Vegas just announced this year's location and the full lineup this morning. Um...wow. :shock:

Will be there on my birthday this year, COVID permitting. :horse:

MERCYFUL FATE
Suicidal Tendencies
Emperor
Bone Thugs-N-Harmony
Warpaint
Mayhem
Carpenter Brut
GZA
Satyricon
WATAIN
She Past Away
Raekwon
Ghostface Killah
Carcass
At The Gates
High On Fire
Ulver
Beats Antique
Paradise Lost
Cirith Ungol
Vio-Lence Offical Page
Katatonia
The Accüsed
SAMAEL
Boris
Nothing
Dance with the dead
Anika
The KVB
The Juliana Theory
Monster Magnet
Wolves In The Throne Room
...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead
Amenra
Mgła
Liturgy
PRIMITIVE MAN
Tribulation
Monolord
Gatecreeper
King Woman
WAND
Crobot
Wiegedood
Marissa Nadler
N8NOFACE
Bömbers - The ultimate Motörhead tribute
DRAIN
Year of no light
Mizmor
The Goddamn Gallows
Sanguisugabogg
200 Stab Wounds
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:01 pm Psycho Las Vegas just announced this year's location and the full lineup this morning. Um...wow. :shock:

Will be there on my birthday this year, COVID permitting. :horse:

MERCYFUL FATE
Suicidal Tendencies
Emperor
Bone Thugs-N-Harmony
Warpaint
Mayhem
Carpenter Brut
GZA
Satyricon
WATAIN
She Past Away
Raekwon
Ghostface Killah
Carcass
At The Gates
High On Fire
Ulver
Beats Antique
Paradise Lost
Cirith Ungol
Vio-Lence Offical Page
Katatonia
The Accüsed
SAMAEL
Boris
Nothing
Dance with the dead
Anika
The KVB
The Juliana Theory
Monster Magnet
Amenra
Mgła
Liturgy
PRIMITIVE MAN
Tribulation
Monolord
Gatecreeper
King Woman
WAND
Crobot
Wiegedood
Marissa Nadler
N8NOFACE
Bömbers - The ultimate Motörhead tribute
DRAIN
Year of no light
Mizmor
The Goddamn Gallows
Sanguisugabogg
200 Stab Wounds
I've heard of approximately none of those. Must be a west coast thing?
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bone Thugs-N-Harmony?

What rock have you been under?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I have heard of some of those on Wordle.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:02 pm Bone Thugs-N-Harmony?

What rock have you been under?
I haven't been into harmony since the doo-wop era. Give me a break, will ya?
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

have seen these bands:
Warpaint (opened for Depeche Mode on the last tour)
Boris

would definitely not miss:
Carcass
GZA

and would try not to miss:
Raekwon
Ghostface Killah
Suicidal Tendencies
Marissa Nadler
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I've seen most of those metal bands before (Emperor, Satyricon, Carcass, Watain, At the Gates, High On Fire, Ulver, Primitive Man, Monolord, Paradise Lost, Cirith Ungol, Vio-lence, Katatonia, Samael, Wolves in the Throne Room, Tribulation, and Gatecreeper), but there's a few big names on this list that I've wanted to see for ages and just never had the chance. Namely Suicidal Tendencies, Mayhem, and Monster Magnet. I've never been a big Mercyful Fate fan, but they're such a "legacy" metal band that I'm sure I'll make room for that one.

Really excited for a few of the smaller bands as well, like Mizmor, MGLA, Sanguisugabogg, and 200 Stab Wounds (their last release was on my 2021 top 10 list)

Maybe I'll even do one of the rap shows this year (ok...probably not).
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Seeing REO Speedwagon tonight. It's a birthday gift for my 10yo son, who loves them.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

going to Gang of Four this week. the lineup will be _completely_ different from the last two times i saw them, lol (but with half the same lineup as the first time...) it's all original/early members instead of "Andy Gill + three new guys" (as good as they were). Gill died of covid-19 early 2020, so the guitarist filling in will be David Pajo of Slint, which is exciting
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:42 pm going to Gang of Four this week. the lineup will be _completely_ different from the last two times i saw them, lol (but with half the same lineup as the first time...) it's all original/early members instead of "Andy Gill + three new guys" (as good as they were). Gill died of covid-19 early 2020, so the guitarist filling in will be David Pajo of Slint, which is exciting
i actually didn't go. i had to go home and when i did... i completely lost any energy or initiative to go back out again.

i did go see Gary Numan tonight - fifth time over the past 22 years. i realize i just never get sick of "Down in the Park"... i did have to get out of the middle of the crowd when these maskless bozos kept breathing on me. i was not feeling good about that
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Going to see Del Amitri on Monday and I got balcony seats just to avoid the mouth breathers.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

The Wallows.

Sigh.

Daughter.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Bought my Tickets this week for Styx/REO Speedwagon on Sept 13h.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

putting my ticket for Ministry (next Monday) up for resale. i have heard several stories of people suspecting they contracted covid-19 at earlier dates on the tour.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Excited to see Behemoth, Arch Enemy, and Napalm Death on Saturday, as this will be my first show since January. Had to choose between this show or The Cult (which is at a venue just around the corner, so parking should be fun), and Behemoth ultimately won out.

Also, the final lineup for Psycho Las Vegas was released today. This is a crazy, eclectic lineup. I knew most of the big-name bands, but there were some killer additions today (Nitzer Ebb! Blood Incantation! Frozen Soul! Undeath! Creeping Death! The Dwarves!). I went by myself last year, but have at least two others that are coming this year. Can't wait for August. :)

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Oh man, Behemoth, Arch Enemy, and Napalm Death put on an absolutely KILLER show tonight.

I’m going to be sore as hell tomorrow, but it was totally worth it. The Behemoth mosh pit was nuts. I’m retrospect, 47 is probably a bit too old to be doing that sort of thing but…that’s why they invented Advil. :)

Frontline Assembly is next up on Wednesday night.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The best part of any old-school goth or industrial show is seeing all the local goth elders emerge in their full regalia. Tonight’s FLA show certainly did not disappoint in that regard. :lol: I’m mostly just jealous because I’m too much of a square to pull off that look.

FLA is a weird band live. They’re primarily electronic, but their live performances always focus so heavily on the guitar and drums. I’ve seen them 4 times now, and have yet to see a show where the sound is balanced well enough to catch even the slightest nuance of the synths (which is the bulk of their appeal).

If you know their music well enough for your mind to fill in the gaps of a really muddy live performance, they can be pretty fun. If you came in knowing nothing about them, however, you’d likely think they’re the worst live band ever.

And man, Bill Leeb is looking old. Doesn’t help that he looks more and more like Judge Doom from Roger Rabbit every time I see them.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Amon Amarth, Carcass, Obituary, and Cattle Decapitation doing a US tour Nov/Dec.

While I'm kinda over AA at this point (although they do put on a good live shot), I'm always down for those other three.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I saw Dierks Bentley a few weeks back at the new Orion Amphitheater. Not a country fan but my "Ex-Wife/now girlfriend again" likes it. I survived, the new amphitheater was amazing. I listened, couldn't sing along since I know none of his songs.

Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Lassr wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:43 am Not a country fan but my "Ex-Wife/now girlfriend again" likes it.
Yay! (At least I hope it’s a yay)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:35 am Amon Amarth, Carcass, Obituary, and Cattle Decapitation doing a US tour Nov/Dec.

While I'm kinda over AA at this point (although they do put on a good live shot), I'm always down for those other three.
too bad Carcass is only an opener, still might go.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Attended our local music festival this past weekend, which was celebrating 50 years. It's considered the longest running music festival in Canada. Lots of awesome music and mingling with artists. The headliners this year were Bombino (Friday), St-Paul and the Broken Bones (Saturday), and Judy Collins (Sunday). Bombino was great, and while I don't think I had really heard them until this weekend, one of their songs did sound familiar. St-Paul and the Broken Bones was rather a mixed bag. Didn't really care all that much for them, though the teens and tweens certainly were enjoying themselves. But there was a lot of indifference in the crowd over them that night. We ended up leaving before the set was over. Judy Collins was magical. It was a special experience just seeing her, and her voice so strong, even after all these years.

Among one of the favourites this weekend is a band called the Lemon Bucket Orkestra, a Ukrainian-style gypsy punk band. This is my second time seeing them and I'll never get tired of seeing them. They have so much energy up on stage, and they bring it into the audience. The first time out, they had done a procession across the seating area as they brought their show to a close and made for the exit. This time they made their way into the seating area again, but a few of them stood onto empty seats and continued playing. All this was happening right behind me. It was quite an electrifying experience and quite memorable.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:35 am Amon Amarth, Carcass, Obituary, and Cattle Decapitation doing a US tour Nov/Dec.
Hmm I see they're coming to Toronto. It would be nice to go to my first show since the pandemic, that is if we're not in the middle of the eighth wave by then. I've become a minor AA fan, and I liked some of CD's last album. Gore's not my thing though and I'm not familiar with the other two except by reputation. My taste is still mostly more melodic. I'll have to check them out on Spotify.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:06 pm
Lassr wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:43 am Not a country fan but my "Ex-Wife/now girlfriend again" likes it.
Yay! (At least I hope it’s a yay)
It is. Much stronger relationship now.

Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sudy wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:00 pm
Hmm I see they're coming to Toronto. It would be nice to go to my first show since the pandemic, that is if we're not in the middle of the eighth wave by then. I've become a minor AA fan, and I liked some of CD's last album. Gore's not my thing though and I'm not familiar with the other two except by reputation. My taste is still mostly more melodic. I'll have to check them out on Spotify.
You might hate Cattle Decap live (not a fan myself), but AA, Carcass, and Obituary put on really fun live shows. Even if you're not a fan going into the show, you might be coming out. That definitely happened for me with Obituary. I'd heard bits and pieces but never really dug into them until after a live show. They tear the roof off every time.

AA is a band that's absolutely worth seeing once, just for the sheer spectacle of the thing. Last show, they staged a full battle with a mechanical dragon onboard a Viking longship...during a song. it was pretty awesome.

I saw Carcass on the 70K cruise, but will admit to being very drunk so maybe they weren't actually as good as I remember. :lol: I'm seeing them in Vegas next month, so I'll report back. Regardless, they're absolutely catchy as hell. Riffs for daaaaaaaaays.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:51 pm Image
Who are the Big 4 for grunge?
Figure Pearl Jam is 1 and they're still going strong.
Nirvana-gone
Soundgarden-gone
Alice in Chains-kinda gone, but still out there.

Any others?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

it's a joke. bit of a hyperbole.

but on a sidenote:

Andrew W. of Malfunkshun and Mother Love Bone
Ben M. of Gruntruck (but not from overdose or suicide... complications of diabetes)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

They announced the lineups for Vegas yesterday. Next Friday night:

- 3:00-4:00 - Wolves in the Throne Room
- 5:00-6:00 - Carcass
- 7:00-8:30 - Mayhem
- 9:00-10:30 - Emperor

That’s gonna be one hell of an evening. :shock:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Annual metal fest in the books. Highlights were seeing King Diamond, the aforementioned Carcass/Emperor/Mayhem trilogy, and At the Gates playing a set at the pool venue which led to a “slosh pit”.

Lowlights were possibly the worst sound mixing I’ve ever heard at a fest. A couple bands escaped the mixing board terror (Mercyful Fate and Mayhem were the best), but most of them just sounded like a jumbled mess. For two bands, they simply forgot to turn on the singer’s mic until the second song, which sucked. $16 beers and $26 pina coladas (before tip) were also pretty shitty, as was every venue being standing only with no seats. I wasn’t impressed at all with Resorts World Las Vegas.

A mediocre festival all things considered, but a few truly epic sets from some metal legends. Full list of bands seen:

Wolves in the Throne Room
Carcass
Mayhem
Emperor
Frozen Soul
200 Stab Wounds
Bone Thugs & Harmony
Blood Incantation
The Munsens
Liturgy
Tribulation
Suicidal Tendencies
Tobacco
At the gates
Black Sabbitch
Undeath
Samael
Paradise Lost
Mercyful Fate
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

$26 cocktail, WTF? For that price I expect a skewered ribeye as a garnish.

Sorry it wasn't better.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Spoon/Interpol playing in Portland on 9/18. Two of my favorite bands doing a dual-headlining tour. So excited for this!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Stevie Nicks is coming to The Orion. Tickets go on sale Friday morning. I'm gonna try to grab a couple.

Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Strange to see 80s musicians like Stx and Stevie Nicks still doing shows. So long ago.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:54 pm $16 beers and $26 pina coladas (before tip)
Suicidal Tendencies
Sarsippius: "That's recockulous"
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Danny Elfman Halloween weekend (a *** HUGE *** deal for Boingo fans who used to plan Halloween around Oingo Boingo's legendary Halloween performances at the Irvine Ampitheater back in the day).

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I came to the realization over this weekend that I think I'm finally getting "concerted out".

As I was standing around in the back of these venues (since pits or even the general crunch of the front rows don't appeal any more), drinking a beer apparently made of liquid gold (judging by the price), and watching bands muddle through mostly sloppy sets with mostly mediocre sound, I realized the whole thing just doesn't quite appeal the way it used to 10, 15, or 20 years ago. My buddy and I were talking about some of the upcoming metal shows in Salt Lake and our general opinion on all of them was "Do I really need to see them again?"

At this point, I've seen nearly every band I've ever wanted to see, many of them 4, 5, 6 times. This weekend crossed a couple more off the dwindling bucket list (Mayhem, Mercyful Fate, and Carcass), leaving really only Sigh and maybe Opeth on my "haven't seen but really need to" list. There's a handful of bands that I will still always go see no matter what because they're so damn good (Skinny Puppy/Oghr, Wilderun, Zeal & Ardor, Ghost, At the Gates, Septicflesh, etc), but unless something changes, I'm likely going to sit out live shows for the next 6-12 months. Maybe I'll catch a little bit of that live show spark back if I step away for a bit, who knows.

I do need to do at least 24 more shows before I die to get my set list spreadsheet to an even 400. :ninja:
Pyperkub wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:09 pm Danny Elfman Halloween weekend (a *** HUGE *** deal for Boingo fans who used to plan Halloween around Oingo Boingo's legendary Halloween performances at the Irvine Ampitheater back in the day).
Here's a link for this. That'd be cool. Boingo's "Farewell Live" is the best live album ever made, imho.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

We haven't been to a real show since pre-pandemic, tho I'll be trying to get Mrs. Kub to go see the Dollyrots in Sept, as well as the Elfman show. Nice thing is that Hollywood Bowl will be an outdoor gig.

We do like going to shows, but we usually try to make a short weekend out of a show at the Mountain Winery, which is just a fun place, and the acts are usually older (so, more reserved fans). You can also have a nice dinner up on the mountain.

This is just about the worst seat in the house ;)

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.