concerts....who you seeing?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Skinypupy

Re: concerts....who you seeing?

Post by Skinypupy »

Exodor wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:03 am College buddies are trying to tempt me into the Sick New World festival but I'm wary of outdoor Vegas festivals...

But how can I pass up seeing The Sisters of Mercy play at like 3 PM outside on a sunny Vegas day? :mrgreen:
Lots of really good bands there. If it were a 2-3 day festival, I’d be there in a heartbeat. Skinny Puppy, Sisters of Mercy, Cradle of Filth, and Mr Bungle on the same bill is pretty awesome, not gonna lie.

That many bands in one day though? I’ll pass. Would likely only be able to actually see about half the bands I would want to.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I remember a 2 am show by My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult for my 21st birthday.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

So Off Broadway was surprising good and tight -- for a 2-album band that were, for all intents and purposes, a 2-hit wonder in the late-70's/early 80's. They seemed to have a lot of fun playing, and that got the crowd into it.

The venue its self (called...wait for it..."The Venue") is a non-for-profit. Among upcoming acts there is an Eagles cover band (I'm sure LM is dying to come see that).
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Exodor wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:03 am College buddies are trying to tempt me into the Sick New World festival but I'm wary of outdoor Vegas festivals...
That's like... half of what I was listening to as a 15-year-old in 1999. I don't know if I could ever do a festival. That sounds exhausting for a fatty, especially one that's not as young as he used to be.

Katatonia, The Ocean, and Cellar Darling are in town in about a week, but the ticket's more than I want to pay considering I don't know Katatonia, and what I gave a listen to on Spotify I didn't particularly enjoy. (I presume their recent stuff.) I think Sp or someone else here gave The Ocean a good review and I like what I've heard, but it isn't much. I don't even know Cellar Darling that well, but I love a couple of their songs. And folk metal bands don't come to town often these days.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:41 pm Image
On a dark desert highway...
Black Lives Matter
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Last weekend we finally got to see Filthy Friends again - that's the "supergroup" featuring Corin Tucker of Sleater-Kinney and Peter Buck from R.E.M.

They played a ridiculously tiny room and because we got there early we were able to get kinda close

Close enough that I could have plucked Peter's guitar stings if I wanted to. So close that it was actually kind of uncomfortable staring at Corin from three feet away. :oops:

It was awesome.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Mr Bungle and The Melvins will be playing here in May. Holy shit. :shock:

Bungle is a band I thought I’d never see live in a million years.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

A college friend was a big and early Mr. Bungle fan. Strange but fun. Do it. :)
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:30 pm Mr Bungle and The Melvins will be playing here in May. Holy shit. :shock:

Seattle show sold out almost immediately
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:30 pm Mr Bungle and The Melvins will be playing here in May. Holy shit. :shock:

had tickets to see them a couple of years ago at a small venue.
Was beyond stoked. Then Patton had his breakdown and all shows were cancelled.
So glad he seems to have sorted out his issues and is getting back to it.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Ministry/Gary Numan/Frontline Assembly tour announced today.

I'm not hugely excited for it (seen FLA and Ministry, not a huge Numan fan), but a friend really wants to go so I'll grab tickets this week.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:25 pm Ministry/Gary Numan/Frontline Assembly tour announced today.

I'm not hugely excited for it (seen FLA and Ministry, not a huge Numan fan), but a friend really wants to go so I'll grab tickets this week.
that is not coming near here, but Numan and FLA are touring on their own.

also i see Alice Cooper/Rob Zombie (with Ministry opening) but those are going to be amplitheatre shows not really at all close to here. (and i don't care about Bob Zombo)

----

and i don't get that SickNewWorldFest. some bands i _really_ like mixed in with a whole lot of late 90s nu-metal and Hot Topic-core
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

After teasing it yesterday on social media, Skinny Puppy announced a “Final Tour” this morning.

Thankfully, it’s coming here so I can see them for a 6th time before they call it quits again. :(

https://skinnypuppy.com/?fbclid=IwAR3YJ ... roZIWlpzUw
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

already got my ticket. even sucked up the +50% TicketBastard fees for this one

artist presale code is "THEEND"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:08 pm already got my ticket. even sucked up the +50% TicketBastard fees for this one

artist presale code is "THEEND"
Got mine this morning as well. :dance:

I think I'm going to skip the Bungle show. Last night, I checked out setlists and some videos from Bungle's live shows over the past year. The entire set was the "Raging Wrath of the Easter Bunny" album (which I don't like at all) and a bunch of cover tunes, most of which I had never heard before. It'd be cool to see Patton live, but that's a tough sell when it's songs that I already know I don't like or don't know.

If I find out the setlist has somehow changed to include tunes from the "Mr. Bungle", "Disco Volante", and "California" albums, I'll give it another look.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Oh shit, with Lead Into Gold!

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:45 pm
I think I'm going to skip the Bungle show. Last night, I checked out setlists and some videos from Bungle's live shows over the past year. The entire set was the "Raging Wrath of the Easter Bunny" album (which I don't like at all) and a bunch of cover tunes, most of which I had never heard before. It'd be cool to see Patton live, but that's a tough sell when it's songs that I already know I don't like or don't know.

If I find out the setlist has somehow changed to include tunes from the "Mr. Bungle", "Disco Volante", and "California" albums, I'll give it another look.
actually i don't think i care about Bungle much at all. i just wanted to see Melvins. they're one of the better 'old' bands still touring and releasing albums
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

I saw Squirrel Nut Zipppers over the weekend. Wasn't sure what to expect from a band that old, but it was easily one of the most entertaining shows I've ever seen. They work a stage like nobody's business.

Back in October I saw Too Many Zoos, which is also a unique experience.
No sig, must scream, etc.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:26 pm

actually i don't think i care about Bungle much at all. i just wanted to see Melvins. they're one of the better 'old' bands still touring and releasing albums
Heh. I’m the opposite, never gotten into Melvins at all. I had one of their albums in the 90s (Stoner Witch, I think) but they never really grabbed me.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:53 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:26 pm

Heh. I’m the opposite, never gotten into Melvins at all. I had one of their albums in the 90s (Stoner Witch, I think) but they never really grabbed me.
what i like about them is that their album releases are not only prolific, but they are always experimenting and trying new approaches.
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

I saw that The Sisters of Mercy are coming to Houston. I have never seen them but would love to see them. But I hear that recent live shows have been awful. I’m torn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:25 pm Ministry/Gary Numan/Frontline Assembly tour announced today.

Seems like a good show -- I am a huge Numan fan (I was at one of the concerts where his "Living Ornaments" 79-80 live album was recorded).

Jerry Hairston and Adrien Belew are doing a Talking Heads show (Remain in Light) on 2/25. I almost talked my wife into going, but then she got pissed at me and hasn't spoken to me in 3 weeks. Ah, well, I saw Hairston when he released his solo album (on a bill with Tom Tom Club, so 3/4 of the Talking Heads that night) and I saw Belew with his jazz band, The Bears. While I've seen all of the Talking Heads before (I saw David Byrne perform with the Chicago Symphony doing a classical piece he composed), I never actually saw Talking Heads music in a concert before.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Dramatist wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:07 pm I saw that The Sisters of Mercy are coming to Houston. I have never seen them but would love to see them. But I hear that recent live shows have been awful. I’m torn.
I love SoM, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone say a good thing about their live performance.

I'll just stick to the albums, I think.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:50 pm I love SoM, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone say a good thing about their live performance.

I'll just stick to the albums, I think.
I've seen them before and yeah, the live shows are pretty uninspiring.

We're going anyway. I mean, it's the Sisters of Mercy. :oops:
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Back in 2016, I saw Andrew Bird live and it was an incredible experience. A very sweet lady who I had gone on a few dates with about a year before that saw my Facebook post about Bird and was very jealous, so I offered to take her to see Jeff Tweedy of Wilco. We've been pretty much inseparable ever since then, and so now next month I get to return the favor and bring them to see Andrew Bird. It all comes full circle.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I don't think Eldritch would deny that SoM performances are uninspiring. I swear he's been interviewed saying as much when they were in their heyday in they early 90s. Do they overcharge for the experience? I saw them in the early aughts for like thirty bucks and the experience was fine. The over expensive beers for the evening cost more than the show and the parking half as much.

I'm debating getting out for some local shows late this month. Black Jake and the Carnies for VD and the Ruiners to close the month. We'll see. I'm still in lockdown, so either/or/both would be a huge leap for me. Especially, as we seem to be getting an early thaw this week.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:26 am I don't think Eldritch would deny that SoM performances are uninspiring. I swear he's been interviewed saying as much when they were in their heyday in they early 90s. Do they overcharge for the experience? I saw them in the early aughts for like thirty bucks and the experience was fine. The over expensive beers for the evening cost more than the show and the parking half as much.
$55 this time around ($65 if you can buy one of the ~20 seats in the balcony). Pretty standard for the venue.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Exodor wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:15 am
LordMortis wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:26 am I don't think Eldritch would deny that SoM performances are uninspiring. I swear he's been interviewed saying as much when they were in their heyday in they early 90s. Do they overcharge for the experience? I saw them in the early aughts for like thirty bucks and the experience was fine. The over expensive beers for the evening cost more than the show and the parking half as much.
$55 this time around ($65 if you can buy one of the ~20 seats in the balcony). Pretty standard for the venue.
essentailly you'll be staring at fog machine smoke the entire time
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

hitbyambulance wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:45 pm essentailly you'll be staring at fog machine smoke the entire time

I'm mostly going for the people watching and to listen to Sisters in a room full of fans.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Wow, I was certainly not expecting that pairing. I'll take it though, even if it's at my least favorite venue in the state.

Ghost and Amon Amarth announce summer tour
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Carcass headlining tour (with Sacred Reich, Municipal Waste and Creeping Death opening) announced - going to go to that

and funnily enough, Creeping Death are from Denton, TX
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:29 am Carcass headlining tour (with Sacred Reich, Municipal Waste and Creeping Death opening) announced - going to go to that

and funnily enough, Creeping Death are from Denton, TX
Thanks for the heads up, might have to check that one out when it’s here.

Psycho Las Vegas announced yesterday that they’ve cancelled 2023, so I won’t be doing any festivals this year. I’m quite bummed about that.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Heard that Duran Duran is touring. I never saw them back in the day, but they seem like a good act to put on the bucket list.

Anyone seen them (esp. recently)?

I was talking to Mrs Kub about maybe going to see them in Napa for Bottlerock (which is generally pretty expensive, but would be fun to go at least once, as it's basically in our backyard ~30 mins away, sans Bay Area traffic).
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i just bought a floor seat at the new Depeche Mode tour. this is officially the most expensive concert i have ever attended :shock: ... including $50 in TicketFührer usury fees
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Lol I was sent a "virtual commemorative ticket". Too bad I can't buy it as an NFT.

Enlarge Image

So I have to get an appropriate "industrial, but not the playing band" T-shirt. I'm thinking of paying tribute to my history and getting KMFDM's Split or Godlike. They don't have UAIOE in my size. :?

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:10 am i just bought a floor seat at the new Depeche Mode tour. this is officially the most expensive concert i have ever attended :shock: ... including $50 in TicketFührer usury fees
I know little about their music, but my son and I agree that Depeche Mode is the best band name ever.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Sudy wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:06 pm
So I have to get an appropriate "industrial, but not the playing band" T-shirt.
i have four SP shirts to pick from, plus one from Archaic Smile back in the 90s that is clearly Puppy-inspired - i will just wear the newest i got last year

https://skinny-puppy-store.myshopify.co ... yhh00bl-ts
I'm thinking of paying tribute to my history and getting KMFDM's Split or Godlike. They don't have UAIOE in my size. :?
i have the GODLIKE, MORE AND FASTER and SUCKS ones
stessier

Post by stessier »

First up is the Shaky Knees festival in ATL on May 5th - this is for my daughter who has a specific band she'd like to see. Then comes Ed Sheeran in ATL on Memorial Day weekend. Finally we'll end the year out by seeing P!nk in Charlotte in November. Given that the last concert any of us has seen was the Fresh Beat Band 9 years ago, this is going to be a bit of a welcome change. :D
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I'm thinking of paying tribute to my history and getting KMFDM's Split or Godlike. They don't have UAIOE in my size. :?
i have the GODLIKE, MORE AND FASTER and SUCKS ones
Split the song doesn't do much for me (though I enjoy the context), but the single art may be my favourite of any of Brute!'s KMFDM covers.

Enlarge Image