No
12%
Not sure
12%

Total votes: 110

Jaymann

Re: will marijuana ever be legal???

Post by Jaymann »

Here is a deeper dive into Biden's 3 step plan and the wildly popular polling on this issue. Repugnicans are painting themselves into an ever smaller corner.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I lol'd.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Nice.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:01 pm I lol'd.

Cool. Now if someone will just explain this meme to this old man... :?:
RM2

Post by RM2 »

This is heading in the right direction
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Hope he declassifies it as a Schedule 1 drug just by thinking about it.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Apollo wrote:Cool. Now if someone will just explain this meme to this old man...
The quick recap:

- Biden becomes derisively known as "Brandon" after "F--k Joe Biden" chant is mistakenly heard by a reporter as "Let's Go Brandon"
- The term "Dark MAGA" comes into play in reference to Trump waging a no holds barred 2024 run
- Pro-Trumpers start using "Dark Brandon" to reference Joe Biden
- Pro-Biden folks co-opt and steal "Dark Brandon" and turn it into a pro-Biden meme when Biden starts passing policy after policy

At this point "Dark Brandon" essentially refers to an all-powerful Biden kicking ass.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:36 pm
Apollo wrote:Cool. Now if someone will just explain this meme to this old man...
The quick recap:

- Biden becomes derisively known as "Brandon" after "F--k Joe Biden" chant is mistakenly heard by a reporter as "Let's Go Brandon"
- The term "Dark MAGA" comes into play in reference to Trump waging a no holds barred 2024 run
- Pro-Biden folks co-opt and steal "Dark Brandon" and turn it into a pro-Biden meme when Biden starts passing policy after policy

At this point "Dark Brandon" essentially refers to an all-powerful Biden kicking ass.
I thought this played into it as well. This is where I first heard of Dark Brandon:

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:19 pm Hope he declassifies it as a Schedule 1 drug just by thinking about it.
:clap:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

In related news, John Roberts writes the majority opinion revoking the powers of Presidential pardon as unconstitutional, reversing Biden's order.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:50 am In related news, John Roberts writes the majority opinion revoking the powers of Presidential pardon as unconstitutional, reversing Biden's order.
To be clear to the reader, you are just being cynical. This hasn’t happened (yet)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Unagi wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:57 am
LordMortis wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:50 am In related news, John Roberts writes the majority opinion revoking the powers of Presidential pardon as unconstitutional, reversing Biden's order.
To be clear to the reader, you are just being cynical. This hasn’t happened (yet)
Yes. It was a emotive cynical response.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:24 am
Unagi wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:57 am
Yes. It was a emotive cynical response.
I’m your cynical brother, so I actually thought it was likely true.
(Well, not a ruling against all pardons, just this one)
I was happy my google search came up empty.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So how would that work if Biden tried to pardon Florida Man (Uno)?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So the pardons are a nice start but what happens tomorrow when new people are arrested. How long do they sit in jail / prison before pardons? Why not just reschedule weed out of the bad drug cat and legalize it at the federal lvl? Pardons are great for those now in jail but wont stop the new people arrested.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It is a step in that direction. This is a very public way of him showing that things are changing. Actually changing the laws is much more involved, and the more baby steps we can take in that direction, the less of a hurdle that final step will become.

This also signals to the states that the Federal government is taking action. Some states have been holding out for the Feds to act first. This may get them talking.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Our fuckass Gov..GOP Bill Lee...has already said he wont comply with this.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:16 pm Our fuckass Gov..GOP Bill Lee...has already said he wont comply with this.
It was just a request to the states to pardon state prisoners. If there are any federal prisons in Tennessee, he has no choice.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

GOP - evil assholes. They are damned and determined and set in their ways no matter how stupid or backwards it is that whatever DEMS want then they are against it. If DEMS were against removing all oxygen from the Earth the GOP would do their best to remove it they are such shitheads.

TN Gov. Bill Lee will not consider state-level marijuana pardons
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

If the law is still on the books, I wonder what happens to new offenders.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Alefroth wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:28 pm If the law is still on the books, I wonder what happens to new offenders.
Biden can pardon them by thinking about it.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Alefroth wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:28 pm If the law is still on the books, I wonder what happens to new offenders.
I have a feeling that they simply won't be charged.

Until the end of the Biden administration, that is.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:36 pm
The quick recap:

Thanks! Not sure how I managed to hear nothing about this before... :think:
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:46 pm
I have a feeling that they simply won't be charged.

Until the end of the Biden administration, that is.
It's not like this was a common federal charge in the first place.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Didn't Obama say he'd stop federal prosecution of possession of Marijuana? I thought he and Eric whatshisface (Holder?) even had a public disagreement over such things. Did that never surface? Did Trump start prosecuting again?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I wondered about that. I figured it was a consolation charge when someone couldn't get them for the 'big thing' that they knew they'd done. I mean, how often does the FBI handle reports of a kid with a joint?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

FWIW, Governor Cooper (NC) is pushing for state pardons of small possession crimes. I swear he's the only politician that keeps living in this state bearable.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Inching closer....
The Biden administration’s Department of Health and Human Services is recommending that the Drug Enforcement Administration significantly loosen federal restrictions on marijuana but stopped short of advising that it should be entirely removed from the Controlled Substances Act.

The health agency wants the drug moved from Schedule I to Schedule III under the CSA, potentially the biggest change in federal drug policy in decades.

Cannabis is currently a Schedule I substance on the CSA, which means it is deemed to have a high likelihood of abuse and no medical uses. Heroin and LSD are also Schedule I drugs. Schedule III drugs are categorized as having “moderate to low potential for physical and psychological dependence.” The category includes ketamine and testosterone.

The HHS recommendation is the result of a nearly yearlong federal review of all available marijuana research. Biden’s executive action — which also included federal pardons for low-level marijuana convictions — was seen by many as a political move taken ahead of the midterm elections to incentivize turnout among younger and more progressive voters.
Of note:
Federal law has failed to keep up with massive changes over the last decade in state cannabis policies. Twenty three states now allow anyone at least 21 years old to legally posses the drug, while 38 states have established medical marijuana programs.

But because cannabis businesses are not federally legal, they are subject to a federal tax code that prohibits narcotics traffickers from taking typical tax exemptions for business expenses like salaries and benefits. That code does not apply to Schedule III, so if the DEA approved HHS’ recommendation, cannabis businesses around the country would immediately be paying much less in federal taxes.

That would provide a big boost to the financially struggling industry.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Damn. I knew there was a thread somewhere…posted this in the OO Investment club thread yesterday.

FWIW the stock prices of companies investing in psilocybin and LSD research as medicine are popping in sympathy to this.

I guess everybody wants to be on Uncle Joe’s Drug Bus Bonanza.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Once the right people can start making tons of money off it, I'm confident the changes will happen quickly. Should have known it all along, but I guess I just wasn't cynical enough until now.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Damn. I knew there was a thread somewhere…posted this in the OO Investment club thread yesterday.

FWIW the stock prices of companies investing in psilocybin and LSD research as medicine are popping in sympathy to this.

I guess everybody wants to be on Uncle Joe’s Drug Bus Bonanza.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:41 pm Once the right people can start making tons of money off it, I'm confident the changes will happen quickly. Should have known it all along, but I guess I just wasn't cynical enough until now.
Canada has somehow made a mess of the profitability of legalized marijuana. I don't know all much about the details, but I'm embarrassed on general principles.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

AP News
President Joe Biden is making thousands of people who were convicted of use and simple possession of marijuana on federal lands and in the District of Columbia eligible for pardons, the White House said Friday, in his latest round of executive clemencies meant to rectify racial disparities in the justice system.

The categorical pardon Friday builds on a similar round issued just before the 2022 midterm elections that made thousands convicted of simple possession on federal lands eligible for pardons. Friday’s action adds additional criminal offenses to those eligible for a pardon, making even more people eligible to have their convictions expunged. Biden is also granting clemency to 11 people serving what the White House called “disproportionately long” sentences for nonviolent drug offenses.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Merry Spliffmas!
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The one ahole jumped out of her chair in anger about this today. Saying Biden is pardoning criminals and needs to be out. Ummm.... I just walked away. I hate this place.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Octavious wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:36 pm The one ahole jumped out of her chair in anger about this today. Saying Biden is pardoning criminals and needs to be out. Ummm.... I just walked away. I hate this place.
You're empty nest in nine months. :coffee:
It's almost as if people are the problem.