FCC and Net Neutrality

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Moliere

Re: FCC and Net Neutrality

Post by Moliere »

Ron Swanson Slams Fan Ajit Pai Over ‘Duplicitous Handling of the Net Neutrality Issue’
Dear @AjitPaiFCC , I noticed your Pyramid of Greatness and thought it felt strange in your office, given your stance. So I went to see Ron Swanson to ask if he'd care to weigh in & he dictated the below to me

"I'm flattered that my pyramid of greatness has inspired you. I will remind you that the top category is Honor. Sadly, based on your duplicitous handling of the net neutrality issue, and the way you are willfully ignoring the public you claim to serve, I feel you may need that term defined. Which means, of course, that you don't have it."
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If they change the net here because of the morons running this country and make the net tiered or charge for each thing or cap my data Im simply going to cancel my net service completely. When I do I guess that will force me to give up gaming but Im not going to be reamed by that stupid Ajit Pai at the FCC or the orange turd.

May have been posted within these 17 pages but its good.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
stessier

Post by stessier »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:04 pm If they change the net here because of the morons running this country and make the net tiered or charge for each thing or cap my data Im simply going to cancel my net service completely. When I do I guess that will force me to give up gaming but Im not going to be reamed by that stupid Ajit Pai at the FCC or the orange turd.
You're on Charter right? As part of their merger agreement, they can't impkse data caps for 7 years...well, six more now. So you have that going for you.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

malchior

Post by malchior »

Officially dead - I'm pretty sure this is going to end up in a series of court challenges but in the meantime we will have to see how quickly this repeal changes the environment.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The telecoms won't do anything threatening until they're confident that Congress and/or the courts won't act. This really ought to be legislated anyway -- control of the FCC changes hands too frequently.
Holman

Post by Holman »

link
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Oh, and this:
That's the Daily Caller staff there being all hip and ironic with the Harlem Shake (a meme from 200 years ago) as an example of "what you can still do on the internet" after Pai kills Net Neutrality.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I wonder if they paid the pizzagater in cheese pizza.
Hodor.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Our leaders are stupid and repugnant.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Not leaders; rulers. They have no regard for our approval or best interests and they face no consequences.
malchior

Post by malchior »

No no there will be a Dem wave and they'll take back power. They'll flip back a bunch of the policies. The benchmark state for a stable 1st world nation is constantly shifting policy priorities.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Just looking up my name on that list showed this, right off the bat. See anything that seems a little off (Read details starting with the second entry)? :x

My first thought was: ok, calm down. This is likely a copy and pasted script coming from an activist site - pretty common for activists to give scripts to use for comments, or messages to leave senators, etc, to be as effective as possible. Then I wondered what non-ISP citizen would be so interested in OPPOSING net neutrality that they would do this? Thanks, Citizens United! I guess it's just Citizens AT&T, TWC, Verizon, et al, doing their free speech thing! Proceed.

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

By "that list" of course, you mean this site?

I found a lot of my own name, but with different locations. Some were copies and pastes of the same comments. I can't say with certainty that they're not different people sharing my name, but the comments I checked were all against destroying Net Neutrality, not for it.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I had the same thing. My name is not that unique, but I think there were 7 postings and all used the same wording. I can't say that is unusual, though, if there was a form letter circulated by people against Net Neutrality. So curious, in my case, but not conclusive.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I would love to see an interview with a non-company "person" that is anti net neutrality.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Thanks, Ted.

Image link on the off chance that it gets memory-holed.

And, of course, the last 12 years of corporate shenanigans.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Informed Observer: Since that rule was implemented in 2015, Cable companies' infrastructure investments have continued to increase year over year while pledges to not prioritize traffic were commonplace. Since the new rule has passed, both Comcast and Verizon have removed all traces of these pledges.

Ignorant Senators: Uh, never mind.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Proof positive that Trump is rotting the brains of the Republican party. Snowflakes? What decorum for a senator, omg.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Enough wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:45 pm Proof positive that Trump is rotting the brains of the Republican party. Snowflakes? What decorum for a senator, omg.
That was my thought too.

In PUBG you can run people over with a car. It's very satisfying.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Just another example of the kindergarten philosophy of the modern GOP. If they can't win an argument through logic, they resort to branding. The term "snowflake," rather than being insulting, shows their own ignorance. They can't process complex social issues, so everything has to be turned into meme level vocabulary they can understand. I guess when your President has the brainpower of a hungry toddler, you have no choice but to stoop to his level.

I'd be HAPPY to take an IQ test against Trump. Anytime.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

First why is it we allow a former big company lawyer to run a government agency policing big companies? And second why is it ok for this idiot government employee to dress like Santa and play with toys in videos? WTF !????

These people should all be in prison.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:38 am Thanks, Ted.

Image link on the off chance that it gets memory-holed.

And, of course, the last 12 years of corporate shenanigans.
FFS Ted. A snowflake is someone who thinks they're special and unique. When you're pigeon-holing someone as overly sensitive, you refer to them as a delicate flower or a buttercup. And if they just have stupid ideas, they're a flake. Period. It has nothing to do with snow. It's no wonder that you're not President, with these weakass randomly selected insults.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Pyperkub

Re: Re: FCC and Net Neutrality

Post by Pyperkub »

malchior wrote:No no there will be a Dem wave and they'll take back power. They'll flip back a bunch of the policies. The benchmark state for a stable 1st world nation is constantly shifting policy priorities.
Yes, except for the flip back policies. The dumpster fire that the economy will become will be the priority (again).
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Moliere wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:29 am Ted Cruz v. Mark Hamill
While I applaud Mark for jabbing a politician that he caught attention from, he could have done so much more with that than throw an insult back. He could have said anything from "On that count, you're wrong. Vader would have squashed Net Neutrality, letting his Empire cronies listen in to every Rebel transmission and creating catastrophic delays in communications that hamstrung their efforts. Net Neutrality would stop the Empire from controlling traffic for their own benefit."
Black Lives Matter

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I'm beginning to think Ted Cruz is a poor man's Ann Coulter, a polemicist, but not a very good one.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just what we need:
This idea to reclassify smartphone data as broadband was first proposed in August, but with the net neutrality repeal out of the way, the FCC is expected to vote on the proposal by February 3. Currently, the FCC defines broadband connection as 25Mbps download speeds and 3Mbps upload speeds minimum. The new proposal would keep these minimums in place for fixed wireline broadband but also expand the definition to include cell phone data coverage.
To quote one of the greats:
My arm is not long enough for the jerk off motion that is in my soul.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Is the implication that your horrendous situation would qualify as “Super A Terrific Broadband” because there’s a nearby LTE tower?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's almost as if Ajit Pai literally hates America.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

RunningMn9 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:06 pm Is the implication that your horrendous situation would qualify as “Super A Terrific Broadband” because there’s a nearby LTE tower?
Exactly. No need to invest in wired infrastructure in rural America because everyone can play Words with Friends on their iPhones. Or apparently download and play the Witcher 3 while three people in my house simultaneously watch two HD movies on Netflix.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:09 pm
RunningMn9 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:06 pm Is the implication that your horrendous situation would qualify as “Super A Terrific Broadband” because there’s a nearby LTE tower?
Exactly. No need to invest in wired infrastructure in rural America because everyone can play Words with Friends on their iPhones. Or apparently download and play the Witcher 3 while three people in my house simultaneously watch two HD movies on Netflix.
There are days when I genuinely fear that you are going to be the one to start the Revolution. :)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Hill
A Senate bill that would reverse the Federal Communications Commission’s (FCC) decision to repeal net neutrality received its 30th co-sponsor on Monday, ensuring it will receive a vote on the Senate floor.

Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.) announced her support for the bill on Twitter, putting it over the top of a procedural requirement to bypass committee approval.

The bill, which is being pushed by Sen. Ed Markey (D-Mass.), would use Congress’s authority under the Congressional Review Act (CRA) to reverse the FCC’s rollback of its popular net neutrality rules.
Under the CRA, if a joint resolution of disapproval bill has enough support it can bypass committee review and be fast-tracked to a floor vote. If the bill is passed and signed into law, it would vacate the FCC's vote last month and prohibit the agency from ever trying to repeal the rules in the future.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

It's a nice gesture, but there is no way it's getting through the House and if it did, there's no way Trump doesn't veto it. Which is sad.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

stessier wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:38 pm It's a nice gesture, but there is no way it's getting through the House and if it did, there's no way Trump doesn't veto it. Which is sad.
Yeah, but it gets them on record, which is something.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Whopper Neutrality. Teaching people about Net Neutrality with real-world situations that they can grasp.

Black Lives Matter

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I do not have the words to express the level of disappointment I feel that YK did not post that. :lol:
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
stessier

Post by stessier »

That was pretty good.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The King with Ajai's stupid oversized Reese's mug was a nice touch at the end.
Black Lives Matter.