27 year streak in jeopardy

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stessier

27 year streak in jeopardy

Post by stessier »

I haven't vomited in 27 years (give or take a few months). That streak is in jeopardy tonight.

My wife relived Metalhead's worst day ever last night. I've known her for 10 years, been married for 7, and was at the business end of the birth of our two children. Last night was the worst thing we've been through together.

And now it's coming for me. I can't go more than 10 feet from a bathroom because of random explosions from my lower half. I'm fighting with everything I've got to keep my stomach where it belongs. I was thinking typing would help. I think I might have been wrong.

I'm going to keep fighting, but the Fat Lady is warming up off stage.

And if anyone is in wisconsin, please feel free to drop by and put me out of my misery. Much obliged.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
WYBaugh

Re: 27 year streak in jeopardy

Post by WYBaugh »

Man stessier that sucks big time. My last bout of stomach virus I felt it coming on soon enough and was able to avoid dinner so ended up with only the runs but definite nausea. Just no hurling thank god.

Did you have the black and white cookie?

I've got a puking phobia. Yesterday at work I'm at the urinal and hear a noise from one of the stalls...was that a cough? Nope. Couldn't get out of the bathroom fast enough.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

REMEMBER to drink! Replenish fluids or you might dehydrate and that can lead to you going to the hospital. I know that if I'm going to be spending a great deal of time in the bathroom, I would prefer it to be in my house. So force down Gatorade or something that will replace what your body needs.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Home of the Akimbo AWPs
tgb

Post by tgb »

What is "How long has it been since stessler puked?"
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I have some recent experience in that...a few months ago, while on a business trip, something didn't agree with me and I suddenly woke around 4 am and projectile-vomited all over the hotel room. :oops: It actually ruined a pair of khaki pants that was in the blast radius.

I don't know how many years it had been (not 27), but it was a while. I hope it's a good long while until the next time.
Black Lives Matter
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Man I hate that. Especially after eating something I really like, as I can't stand to have whatever it was for YEARS.
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Chaosraven wrote:Man I hate that. Especially after eating something I really like, as I can't stand to have whatever it was for YEARS.
I think it was walleye in a very tasty cream sauce. But it didn't kill my taste for that. OTOH, when I was 6 years old, I got violently ill after eating Easter ham. To this day, I still can't eat ham.
Black Lives Matter
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Jeff V wrote:
Chaosraven wrote:Man I hate that. Especially after eating something I really like, as I can't stand to have whatever it was for YEARS.
I think it was walleye in a very tasty cream sauce. But it didn't kill my taste for that. OTOH, when I was 6 years old, I got violently ill after eating Easter ham. To this day, I still can't eat ham.
took me ten years to have an Olgas, havent had a Steak and Cheese sub in six, and last fall gave up the Reuben.
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I don't know how many years ago I last had a pizza from the local House 'o' Pizza. Whenever it was, I sat bolt upright several hours after going to bed. "What's the matter?" asked my wife. "I...I think I'm going to BLOW CHUNKS!!" I said, incredulous. I scrambled for the bathroom and chunks indeed blew. Chunks of pizza. I was sick for days.

I fell into a fever that made me pretty sure it was the flu, but I have not been back to BHOP since then. In fact, I still avoid pizza.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

"How 'bout a nice greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray?"
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Food poisoning can give you a fever. I've been poisoned twice. I swore off hot dogs for 2 years once.

Now I was always the worst at vomiting. I HATED it. I avoided it like crazy all my life. Two wishes I made in the mall fountain as a kid was not to vomit for 7 years and to kiss Farrah Fawcett . The first actually came true.

Anyways since being food poisoned I've learned to barf if I can. May suck but I always feel better afterwards.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I went without eggs for awhile after getting food poisoning two years ago. I was the sickest I can remember. At one point as I was trying to get to my bed I must have passed out. The next thing I know I'm laying face down in the middle of my room and my nose hurt like hell. It must have broken my fall. I then immediately vomited all over my room. Fun times. I now make sure to cook my eggs over-easy instead of sunny side up....
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The last night I puked was vastly more exciting than anything described in this thread.

:ninja:
Hodor.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Absinthe.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The last time I got food poisoned I threw up from 11pm to 6am. I would stand there and heave and nothing would come up there at the end. I thought my balls were going to explode. man that hurt.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
stessier

Post by stessier »

Still hanging in there. I thought I had actually turned the corner after I posted because The Best Wife in the World (so named because she is still recovering and yet went out in 10 degrees to get supplies) came home with some ginger ale, gatorade, and jello. I actually started to feel slightly better after a glass of de-fizzed ginger ale - so much so that I was able to sit up right after about 5 hours on the floor in the fetal position.

I tried falling asleep around 10 and now here I am having been woken by a roiling gut. My wife vomited at 10 pm Wednesday night and still has the runs. I started in the serious pain part around 3pm Thursday, so I have a lot more to go if the pattern holds. This really sucks.

Luckily, I haven't had anything since lunch, so if I do lose it, it should be mostly water at this point. Small favors I guess.

Oh, and highly unlikely it is food poisoning. Our 1 year old threw up on Tuesday, so we think we got it from her. Additionally, our 4 year old had the same dinner we all had on Wednesday, and she's fine. We think food poisoning would have taken her little system out first.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Just your fun trivia for the thread: food poisoning generally takes about 24 hours to kick in. In other words, whatever it is that you're puking up and won't be able to stand for years afterward is very likely innocent of giving you the food poisoning.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I had the stomach flu two sundays ago. Sucked.

Are you afraid to vomit?

I say, give your stomach something, like a some water... and go sit over by the toilet and get mentally ready to puke. (puking on an empty stomach really sucks)
You will feel better after you do.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Gryndyl wrote:Just your fun trivia for the thread: food poisoning generally takes about 24 hours to kick in. In other words, whatever it is that you're puking up and won't be able to stand for years afterward is very likely innocent of giving you the food poisoning.
Huh. I don't doubt you but I had always heard it took 4-6 hours to hit you. Learn something new everyday!
stessier

Post by stessier »

Unagi wrote:I had the stomach flu two sundays ago. Sucked.

Are you afraid to vomit?
Afraid? Not really. It isn't terribly pleasant though (as I recall) and there is the streak and all. :P Had the fetal position lasted much longer, I probably would have followed your advice.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I hardly ever vomit, nothing near your streak.

All I can say is that I felt a lot (not entirely, but a lot) better after I did. Finally could sleep.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

stessier wrote:
Gryndyl wrote:Just your fun trivia for the thread: food poisoning generally takes about 24 hours to kick in. In other words, whatever it is that you're puking up and won't be able to stand for years afterward is very likely innocent of giving you the food poisoning.
Huh. I don't doubt you but I had always heard it took 4-6 hours to hit you. Learn something new everyday!
For me I always thought it was close to 8 hours on the dot. Turns out different germs have different times. I'm sure Smoove_B has them all memorized. :lol:

Feel better!
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

I took the over 27years in the pool. Woo Whoo!!!
(V)(;,,;)(V) - Why not Zoidberg?
Model Mayhem # 641920
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Food poisoning is crap.
Though, usually, after puking you feel better.
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Chaosraven wrote:took me ten years to have an Olgas, havent had a Steak and Cheese sub in six, and last fall gave up the Reuben.
Reubens are just nasty, but the only reason to give up a properly made hoagie is because you are on stupid stupid stupid diet.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Look to the cookie Elaine... Look to the cookie!
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I have clicked on this link at least three different times expecting something about that IBM computer competing on Jeopardy.
:grund:
Odin

Post by Odin »

At least you know why you keep clicking on this thread. I don't have a clue.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Slow it down - and don't confuse food poisoning (i.e. food intoxication) with infection. There are any number of intoxications that can occur within 30 minutes of eating food, though a lot will depend on the dose and host conditions (age, immune status, etc...). Generally speaking the easiest way to figure out what ails you is to look at the symptoms. Upper gastrointestinal? Foodborne intoxication. Lower GI? Foodborne infection. But even that isn't always written in stone and believe it or not, some of the intoxications can introduce a low-grade fever.

If you're tossing your cookies in that 30-60 minutes time range after eating, the most likely culprit intoxication (poisoning) from Staph aureus. It sounds to me though like stessier and family are suffering from a self-limiting Norovirus infection. While it's typically spread through the fecal-oral route, it's certainly possible to catch it via the airborne route as well, particularly if you're around someone that's puking. Make sure that when you're feeling better (and before you have people in your house) you're wiping down flat surfaces (tables, counter tops) and doorknobs with some type of bleach or sanitizing solution. Norovirus is highly, highly infectious and it doesn't take much to get someone ill.

But to go back to your original comment (did you want to talk about foodborne illness or were you just making chit-chat?), yes, most of the time individuals incorrectly associate the food that actually made them ill with whatever it is that they're experiencing.

And don't even get me started on Hepatitis.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Odin

Post by Odin »

Smoove_B wrote:did you want to talk about foodborne illness or were you just making chit-chat? And don't even get me started on Hepatitis.
Does anybody else figure Smoove has to say this fairly often?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If I had a $1 every time someone said "Can we please not talk about this while we're eating?" I could probably retire. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Brian

Post by Brian »

The Meal wrote:
stessier wrote:
For me I always thought it was close to 8 hours on the dot. Turns out different germs have different times. I'm sure Smoove_B has them all memorized. :lol:

Feel better!
What about stuff that's not food poisoning? Like whatever BWW makes their Blazin' sauce from. If I order an twelve piece, the time I finish my third Blazin' wing to the time I'm (almost) guaranteed to be blasting hot stinky magma from my arsehole is roughly 45 minutes.

Lately I've taken to just ordering the Wild and a small cup of Blazin' to lightly dip every other wing into. I've discovered that this ratio will often give me just enough hotness to really enjoy the wings while allowing me to enjoy the rest of the evening without fear of soiling myself or significantly delay the ass blasting enough that I can do so in the comfort of my own bathroom at home.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

I last puked after a bad reaction to anesthesia in 2001.

The last time I remember puking prior to that...was...a long freaking time.
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

A friend of mine declared, at the start of his bachelor party on the eve of his wedding day: "I've never thrown up from drinking."

That was the last time he was able to say that.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Smoove_B wrote:
Slow it down - and don't confuse food poisoning (i.e. food intoxication) with infection. There are any number of intoxications that can occur within 30 minutes of eating food, though a lot will depend on the dose and host conditions (age, immune status, etc...). Generally speaking the easiest way to figure out what ails you is to look at the symptoms. Upper gastrointestinal? Foodborne intoxication. Lower GI? Foodborne infection. But even that isn't always written in stone and believe it or not, some of the intoxications can introduce a low-grade fever.

If you're tossing your cookies in that 30-60 minutes time range after eating, the most likely culprit intoxication (poisoning) from Staph aureus. It sounds to me though like stessier and family are suffering from a self-limiting Norovirus infection. While it's typically spread through the fecal-oral route, it's certainly possible to catch it via the airborne route as well, particularly if you're around someone that's puking. Make sure that when you're feeling better (and before you have people in your house) you're wiping down flat surfaces (tables, counter tops) and doorknobs with some type of bleach or sanitizing solution. Norovirus is highly, highly infectious and it doesn't take much to get someone ill.

But to go back to your original comment (did you want to talk about foodborne illness or were you just making chit-chat?), yes, most of the time individuals incorrectly associate the food that actually made them ill with whatever it is that they're experiencing.

And don't even get me started on Hepatitis.
Thanks for filling out my trivia :)
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

Smoove_B wrote:And don't even get me started on Hepatitis.
What's with Hepatitis?
dedewhale

Post by dedewhale »

its been over 35 years for me....so hold on young jedi.
Hrnac

Post by Hrnac »

stessier wrote:And if anyone is in wisconsin, please feel free to drop by and put me out of my misery. Much obliged.
What part of the state are you located in? Hopefully you will recover before the big game on Sunday.

-Hrnac
Never do today what can be done tomorrow.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

When I first saw the subject line, I thought this was going to be a thread about Ken Jennings or Watson.