Dead Island

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

TheMix

Re: Dead Island

Post by TheMix »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:34 pm To be clear, I also see the flashing/pulsing “RMB” and “LMB” pop ups as well…the mouse icon/call to action is different.
Huh. Okay. Not sure what it's for then. I don't recall ever seeing it.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Dead Island 2 is going to be a freebie for me (bought a new AMD video card), so we'll see how long i stick with it
Last edited by hitbyambulance on Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

TheMix wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:17 pm Additionally, I went through 50 rounds for my revolver. Every shot went exactly where I was aiming. There was no movement or aim adjustment.
From what I could tell, when I use the iron sights the aim assist does tend to pull the aim point toward what I assume it sees as the vulnerable target point nearest to the cursor. It can be noticeable when I'm intending to aim at the head and the aim point pulls toward the shoulder/arm initially. After that initial "assistance" it doesn't seem to further interfere with aiming while I keep the iron sights up.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

TheMix wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:37 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:34 pm To be clear, I also see the flashing/pulsing “RMB” and “LMB” pop ups as well…the mouse icon/call to action is different.
Gah. Played the DE last night and it’s not when I’m tangled up with a zombie, it only shows up when I’m trying to open or pull something heavy/hard/stuck.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:25 am
Gah. Played the DE last night and it’s not when I’m tangled up with a zombie, it only shows up when I’m trying to open or pull something heavy/hard/stuck.
OK, I think that's the UI for breaking down doors. I move the mouse once to start it, which starts a line moving up and down, then move the mouse again to stop it. If I time it so that the line stops in the red zone in the middle, the door breaks open, otherwise it takes up to 3 tries to open it. My reflexes aren't great, so I've found that it generally helps to let the line move through the full range once or twice before trying to stop it. I've never tried using the scroll wheel with it, so I don't know off the top of my head whether that works or not.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:25 am
Ah. Opening locked doors. Yeah, they don't explain that very well. It's a single down followed by a single push up. So you move the mouse down to start the action, then you want to move the mouse up when it's in that center area. That will open the door on one try. Otherwise you have to do multiple tries. Which isn't really a big deal. If you are playing Sam B, he gets a skill later that lets him ram doors open. It works ~60% of the time. :) Sometimes it's hard to get the distance to sprint.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Bammed by the mighty Max! :(

Black Lives Matter

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I'm up to 54 hours (finished the game with Xian Mei, finished the Ryder White campaign, and currently in Act I with Purna) in this go-around. Once I got used to the game's systems, I'm pretty much fine with how firearms work and I'm OK with thrown weapons too (except, maybe, when I accidentally throw my best weapon and it is destroyed/despawned). I'll probably get Purna to at least Act III, then maybe do a playthrough of Riptide before I set it aside and wait for Dead Island 2 to release next month.

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I usually try not to throw my weapons if the locale is questionable. They do sometimes go unexpected places. But I've found that even when they clip through a wall or something, that you can still generally get them back. You just have to move around until you find that one tiny point. Like searching for something in an Adventure point-and-click.

I had more issues with the DLC. My memory is that, in the first game, the weapon usually hits the target and falls roughly where they were standing (I like to use force/impact weapons - so often the target goes flying). But in the DLC, the thrown weapons seemed to always continue past the target for a ways. Made tracking them down annoying sometimes.

Black Lives Matter

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The one time I lost a thrown weapon (an upgraded blue hammer, early in the game), it was out in the open on the beach, so there wasn't much in the way of terrain or ground clutter for it to be hidden. I searched for it for a couple of minutes and then just moved on. For most of the game, weapons are pretty fungible, so losing even a good one isn't a huge problem. It was a good hammer (it let me earn the Can't touch this achievement), but I would have outlevelled it soon anyway.

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:35 pm I would have outlevelled it soon anyway.
Definitely this. I learned early on not to get attached. I rarely even repair weapons. Usually I get an upgrade long before it's too damaged to use.

Black Lives Matter

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Same. I usually have a high quality weapon for bosses, but use trash on trash. Did the same in Dying Light.

These games provide you with near infinite weaponry despite having them decay.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Which is also why I always scratch my head when people complain that they won't play them because the weapons deteriorate, and they don't want to have to constantly repair.

Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

To come full circle (and to add additional commentary on how differently we all play these games), I would constantly repair my weapons if I enjoyed using them and *never* would throw them at zombies (unless they were designed for throwing). What a versatile game. :)
Maybe next year, maybe no go
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

BTW, thrown weapons don't take damage. I like to make the Home Run Developer bat and then throw it. Developer weapons are notoriously expensive to repair. Since I only throw it... no repair bills. :D

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:53 pm To come full circle (and to add additional commentary on how differently we all play these games), I would constantly repair my weapons if I enjoyed using them and *never* would throw them at zombies (unless they were designed for throwing). What a versatile game. :)
I suppose, full disclosure, I do repair some. I didn't want to give the impression that I never repaired. But once a weapon got a couple levels below my level, when it I knew that I'd like be replacing it sooner rather than later, then I'd stop repairing.

I think the exception to that was a couple of the bladed weapons. Katanas, maybe? They were ridiculous over powered, and hard to come by. Those I'd keep longer.

Black Lives Matter

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Welp, I ended up putting about 140 hours into Dead Island DE and another 80 hours into Riptide DE. I'm about ready to step back and wait for Dead Island 2 to release.

Going back to the aim assist discussion, I did run into one specific circumstance where it was very annoying for me. In Riptide, during the base defense battles, the aim assist sometimes did get in the way a lot when using firearms, probably because there were so many targets that it was often pulling the aim toward something other than what I was trying to attack. Aside from those large battles, though, it wasn't a problem.

In other news, getting one-shot killed when a zombie throws a stick at me never gets old.

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Max Peck wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:08 pm In other news, getting one-shot killed when a zombie throws a stick at me never gets old.
Oh yeah. Especially when you check the weapon and it's a low level white kitchen knife... Not even something good. At least in my last run I was playing Sam B and was "lucky" to usually only lose about 90% of my health.

Black Lives Matter