Dead Island

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Lordnine

Re: Dead Island

Post by Lordnine »

Chris liked his truck so much he decided to take it on the boat with us...

Enlarge Image
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Must be the Jungle vehicle, looks pretty heavy - I like it... interesting parking job.

The parking spot I loved was in the Resort. Someone decided to put a smashed up truck on top of a large billboard; it almost looks like it was driven off the adjacent hill and got stuck there. It's just a set piece, but amusing when you find it.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Whoo...finally made it through the quarantine zone last night for the mission I mentioned earlier. The key?

Run like hell.

I'm surprised that some reviews say this game is short. I've put in at least 20 hours on it and I'm only 36 percent of the way through (chapter 8 still). I can easily see myself putting in at least another 20...if not more. Give me an open world game and I'll go off the beaten path within seconds.
Covfefe!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

hepcat wrote:Run like hell.
That's been my solution for a very few instances - usually involving getting past a lot of Walkers to somewhere safe. When I watch gameplay videos I see folks running past undead all the time, like they're just a bother to kill. I still prefer to stop and kill them. I've also started using my Pistol as a "lure" - Run past one group to aggro them, spot a second group - hop up on a car. While the first group is congregating for an easy slaughter, I pop a round into each of the more distant undead - like saying "Hey, over here!" and they come a-shamblin to be killed as well.
hepcat wrote:I'm surprised that some reviews say this game is short. I've put in at least 20 hours on it and I'm only 36 percent of the way through (chapter 8 still). I can easily see myself putting in at least another 20...if not more. Give me an open world game and I'll go off the beaten path within seconds.
I was (pleasantly) surprised by this as well. I didn't get to play last night, but it sounds like we're at pretty much the exact same spot in the game. I'm level 29 with 32 hours played. It's really all about how much you want to collect items and poke around. I've poked a lot and like to check a few red (level 3) chests when I log in to play; mind you, I've modded the game to make Lockpicking chests worthwhile (but not on a "cheating" level, just a 1 in 25 yeilds something Orange - otherwise it's like 1 in 250 for an Orange weapon in a Level 3 chest, which is complete bunk)
Black Lives Matter

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

What's the DRM on this thing and when is it going on sale? :D

For the record, as usual the internet has had a DRM-less free copy available for awhile.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

DRM is STEAM, and now Amazon Download has it for $39. Last week you could have picked it up for $37. I would be amazed if there isn't a $29 promotion between now and Halloween. Additionally, there's bound to be sales during the holiday shopping insanity -- but I have to say, being able to play it now has value.

I've put ~15 hours into the game and already feel like I've been tremendously entertained -- and I'm not even 1/2 done with it yet.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hitting a large group of infected with a Molotov, realizing that not all of them are going to die quickly and then running like hell because you're now being chased by a half dozen flaming zombies o' death was the moment I realized I'd spent my money wisely...
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Hell, I just used a gun for the first time in the game last night (it was around the 13 hour mark). A simple pistol no less -- and after swinging axes, boat oars and knives I felt like a god. I'm also really starting to get into the the old weapon toss, something I wasn't doing in the resort at all (for fear of being unarmed). Now that I have quite an arsenal, I've found that slower clunky weapons (like my modified ax) make an excellent opener against a lumbering zombie.

I am very curious to hear (or maybe see) just how different each character plays.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Smoove_B wrote:I am very curious to hear (or maybe see) just how different each character plays.
I'm not sure who you're using, but I'm on Purna.

Her Fury skill is perfectly usable as a 1-point ability. I can take down a group of Infected in seconds with it - at range, which makes it insanely useful for a single skill point. I haven't felt compelled to go any further down the Fury line than just to open it. When an emergency strikes or I hit a hard point - this is an easy go-to "win" ability... Hit the button, screen goes "Rage" and start firing; it even auto-targets your enemies for you.

Her Combat strength lies in the fact that she's not hedged into any one weapon category and applies her bonuses fairly broadly initially and then opens up Gun bonuses just as you can start finding them; well timed. She does good damage with anything you give her, but isn't outstanding with anything in particular (like Sam with a Sledge, or Xian with a Machete). To me this means she really can apply herself to any situation equally and it's been fun, and when I get heavier into Guns she'll be working them maliciously. Right now her Pistol can kill a Walker in 2-3 headshot hits (fully upgraded the best one I found a while back). Her final Combat ability includes a hidden boost to Stomp, making her do a quick-kill instead of a wind-up kill (I think everyone gets this).

Her "Survival" mainline (the central abilities) make everything a little better, for anyone in the team (which has been just me). She gets early access to Lockpick, which is on the same tier as Inventory. This meant I had to spend 6 points on Tier 1 instead of 3 on Tier 1 and 3 on Tier 2, but it's not a big deal - it was worth it to me. I've just gotten into the abilities she gets at the bottom - like crafting 75% more bullets (giving me 17 Pistol rounds created instead of 10, which is pretty nice for the times when ammo is scarce). I also imagine that holding extra ammo for guns will encourage me to use them more frequently.
Black Lives Matter

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote:Hell, I just used a gun for the first time in the game last night (it was around the 13 hour mark). A simple pistol no less -- and after swinging axes, boat oars and knives I felt like a god. I'm also really starting to get into the the old weapon toss, something I wasn't doing in the resort at all (for fear of being unarmed). Now that I have quite an arsenal, I've found that slower clunky weapons (like my modified ax) make an excellent opener against a lumbering zombie.

I am very curious to hear (or maybe see) just how different each character plays.
When playing as Logan, I get a skill upgrade that damages up to 3 or so zombies near the target when throwing. It's a great moment when you get a crit on the lead and the rest take a chunk of that giant damage...

...of course, then you may die and you now have to go in search of that one zombie with your fully upgraded, electrified katana sticking out of his neck.
Covfefe!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

hepcat wrote:...of course, then you may die and you now have to go in search of that one zombie with your fully upgraded, electrified katana sticking out of his neck.
I don't think I could play as Logan just for this very reason, or he'll be the last I try. The only thing I like to throw is bullets and grenades... things I don't ever expect to get back.
Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Well that's certainly encouraging. As an observer of the Zombie Survival Guide, I went with Xian. It took a long time to get bladed weapons that were of decent enough quality that I could use them for a while, but even still weapon reach is an issue. I'm holding out for a Katana which I have to believe is going to be the greatest thing in the world. I am sensing that perhaps the character with the regenerating health (Logan?) is the best choice for the first time playing as that would be a huge boon.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Smoove_B wrote:Well that's certainly encouraging. As an observer of the Zombie Survival Guide, I went with Xian. It took a long time to get bladed weapons that were of decent enough quality that I could use them for a while, but even still weapon reach is an issue. I'm holding out for a Katana which I have to believe is going to be the greatest thing in the world. I am sensing that perhaps the character with the regenerating health (Logan?) is the best choice for the first time playing as that would be a huge boon.
Sam has built-in Regen; 10% restored per minute, then 15%, and finally 20%. When I played him to level 6, I never needed a healing item - never. Logan has to get drunk to get Regen (near the bottom of his Survival chain) but also can get a damage boost at the same time, so it might be worth it. Xian gets good use out of medpacks, which isn't an outstanding ability but is better than nothing - which is what Purna gets.

Sam was okay, but I wanted something a little more challenging once I realized I'd basically never run out of health at the pace I play the game. He also has to be right in something's face to Rage on it, since his Fury is fist-pounding (I don't think he gets the run speed boost Xian does, either).

My best weapon reach is using a Hanbo (a big stick) - it can crush zombie skulls while standing on top of a car. I have to crouch to use a machete on them. I'd love to find some longer-reach cutting tools, which would make insane-running-screaming-Infected a little easier to insta-kill with a headswipe as they come at you.
Last edited by Paingod on Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

Effidian

Post by Effidian »

Smoove_B wrote:I am very curious to hear (or maybe see) just how different each character plays.
Sam is certainly geared toward a knock down/crush/stomp play and Xian is dismember/decapitate. There will be differences between those play styles, and I imagine you'd have to be more careful with Xian (I don't have a high level Xian, so I'm not sure), but I think they are fairly similar.

Logan and Purna both play differently once you get them up to a level where they have the necessary skills. As long as you build them properly, I think you can use throwing full time with Logan in the mid 20s and Purna using guns full time in the mid 30s.

Logan is really a beast once you get the AoE and modded weapon crits. He is probably the most powerful high level character. The downside is having to pick up weapons (even with maxed boomerang) and the chance to lose those weapons.

With Purna you need access to guns, the ability to carry more ammo, the ability to make ammo, and the various weapon damage modifiers so that the guns do decent amounts of damage against zombies (humans are easy with head-shots on any character). Once you have those, you can pretty much use guns full time on Purna.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm actually getting pretty good with the side-step / head chop combo. The problem is that in the city it's way less effective as I need some room to move. If I get caught in an alley, it's lights out for Xian. What has really started to become troublesome are the running zombies that are armed with small knives. Not only do they come at you fast, but they seem to stop a bit short and then come flailing in with tiny blades. If I don't one-shot them, it's usually instant death for me. This is where tossing an ax (or anything really) has become critical. A single fast guy can tie me up enough to allow his slower buddies to step in and finish me off.

God I love this game.
ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

Smoove_B wrote:DRM is STEAM, and now Amazon Download has it for $39. Last week you could have picked it up for $37. I would be amazed if there isn't a $29 promotion between now and Halloween. Additionally, there's bound to be sales during the holiday shopping insanity -- but I have to say, being able to play it now has value.

I've put ~15 hours into the game and already feel like I've been tremendously entertained -- and I'm not even 1/2 done with it yet.
Signed.

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Smoove_B wrote:I'm actually getting pretty good with the side-step / head chop combo. The problem is that in the city it's way less effective as I need some room to move. If I get caught in an alley, it's lights out for Xian. What has really started to become troublesome are the running zombies that are armed with small knives. Not only do they come at you fast, but they seem to stop a bit short and then come flailing in with tiny blades. If I don't one-shot them, it's usually instant death for me. This is where tossing an ax (or anything really) has become critical. A single fast guy can tie me up enough to allow his slower buddies to step in and finish me off.

God I love this game.
I'd suggest that if you find yourself dying a lot, start using the environment more. It's what really saved my sanity in the City, and is the big difference between fighting in the Resort and the City. Everywhere you look is an obsticle you can stand on, and when you're standing on something, the Zed's just stand next to it, waving their arms at you trying to get you. Infected will try and climb some barriers, but not all of them; and they're easy kills while they're trying to haul themselves up to the wall you're on.

I still do a lot of ground fighting, make no mistake, but the split second the odds turn against me, I'm running for the nearest car roof.
ibdoomed wrote:Image
They don't have a name for your illness yet, do they? Holy carp!
Black Lives Matter

Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I’ve found the jump kick completely essential for Xian now that I’m at level 30. Most of time you will have 2-3 zombie running at you and even though you do massive damage so does the enemy and your basic attacks will not knock them down. The jump kick however has a 100% chance to knock enemies on the ground and after knocking them all down you can use her upgraded hopscotch head stomp attack on each enemy in sequence.

For anyone expecting awesome swords for this character realize that at level 30 I have finally gotten my first sword and I would guess we’re almost to the last act.
ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

Lordnine wrote:I’ve found the jump kick completely essential for Xian now that I’m at level 30. Most of time you will have 2-3 zombie running at you and even though you do massive damage so does the enemy and your basic attacks will not knock them down. The jump kick however has a 100% chance to knock enemies on the ground and after knocking them all down you can use her upgraded hopscotch head stomp attack on each enemy in sequence.

For anyone expecting awesome swords for this character realize that at level 30 I have finally gotten my first sword and I would guess we’re almost to the last act.
It's level dependent or something. I'm just barely in the city with all my characters when I hit the 30's and start getting katana and washazki (sp?) swords.
Paingod wrote:They don't have a name for your illness yet, do they? Holy carp!
Yes, it's called Child-Free.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

I will probably pick it up at the holiday sales. I like zombies (though never played game with zombies in it, not counting plants vs zombies) and i like melee fights and survival, and i like crafting system. It seems this game will be great for me.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Matrix wrote:I will probably pick it up at the holiday sales. I like zombies (though never played game with zombies in it, not counting plants vs zombies) and i like melee fights and survival, and i like crafting system. It seems this game will be great for me.
Zombies and Melee, this game has in spades. Crafting is not so high on the list.

The things you can "Craft"
- Upgrade Weapons: 4 levels of improvement (no components needed, just cash - improves damage, force (how hard they hit), and durability (how many swings it lasts for).
- Create Weapons: As you complete missions and explore, you find blueprints for mods. These are basically "effects" you add to an existing weapon (+Electricute, +Knockdown, +Poison, +Bleed), and the ability to make some grenade-type items (Molotovs, Meat Lures, Grenades, Sticky-Bombs). These use up component items you'll find in your travels. Ex: The Grenade (Deo-Bomb) uses 2x Deodorant and 1x Duct Tape. You might find Deodorant at a merchant, or in a luggage bag next to a bus as random loot.

I've been doing a lot of looting and exploring, and have accumulated over 100 Duct Tape. Most mods require it in some fashion (x2 per mod, almost) - so I'm planning on never running out as long as I don't go overboard and start crafting and selling everything I find.

It'd be really cool if you could actually "Craft" items from components. I'd love to take:

- 1x Steel Rod
- 2x Bolts
- 2x Blade
- 1x Circular Blade
- 2x Clamp
- 2x Duct Tape
- 1x Broomstick

And make a level-appropriate bladed weapon with a Circular Blade attachment out of mere components. That would be awesome.
Black Lives Matter

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Paingod wrote: You might find Deodorant at a merchant,
There's definitely one early on in the game. The guy must think my character has a glandular problem the way I'm buying that stuff up.
Covfefe!
ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

Paingod wrote:
Matrix wrote:I will probably pick it up at the holiday sales. I like zombies (though never played game with zombies in it, not counting plants vs zombies) and i like melee fights and survival, and i like crafting system. It seems this game will be great for me.
Zombies and Melee, this game has in spades. Crafting is not so high on the list.

The things you can "Craft"
- Upgrade Weapons: 4 levels of improvement (no components needed, just cash - improves damage, force (how hard they hit), and durability (how many swings it lasts for).
- Create Weapons: As you complete missions and explore, you find blueprints for mods. These are basically "effects" you add to an existing weapon (+Electricute, +Knockdown, +Poison, +Bleed), and the ability to make some grenade-type items (Molotovs, Meat Lures, Grenades, Sticky-Bombs). These use up component items you'll find in your travels. Ex: The Grenade (Deo-Bomb) uses 2x Deodorant and 1x Duct Tape. You might find Deodorant at a merchant, or in a luggage bag next to a bus as random loot.

I've been doing a lot of looting and exploring, and have accumulated over 100 Duct Tape. Most mods require it in some fashion (x2 per mod, almost) - so I'm planning on never running out as long as I don't go overboard and start crafting and selling everything I find.

It'd be really cool if you could actually "Craft" items from components. I'd love to take:

- 1x Steel Rod
- 2x Bolts
- 2x Blade
- 1x Circular Blade
- 2x Clamp
- 2x Duct Tape
- 1x Broomstick

And make a level-appropriate bladed weapon with a Circular Blade attachment out of mere components. That would be awesome.
On a side note: Since death only means loss of money, and it seems to be some sort of percentage, I've been stockpiling "trash" with Jin instead of instantly selling it all for money. So I don't have a lot of money on me (only like 12k) but when I went to make a couple of the Dev mod items that need 10k, I was able to get that 20k from my stockpile.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

ibdoomed wrote:On a side note: Since death only means loss of money, and it seems to be some sort of percentage, I've been stockpiling "trash" with Jin instead of instantly selling it all for money. So I don't have a lot of money on me (only like 12k) but when I went to make a couple of the Dev mod items that need 10k, I was able to get that 20k from my stockpile.
That's an interesting concept. I usually sell it all off immediately, and never thought to simply hold it until I needed money. I think every death costs 10% of your total cash, and there's no reason to drag any around with you that I've seen except enough for on-the-fly repairs, which should be covered adequately by the cash you find on the dead and by looting containers. I've had it as high as $43,000 but promptly bought a ton of extra components and rare items just so I didn't loose $4300 the next time I died.
Black Lives Matter

Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

Is there a place to store items in the Resort... or ever? Almost done with Act I, time to go get the truck.
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes, when you finish Chapter 1, you will gain access to a way to store things.
Spoiler:
Jin
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

Smoove_B wrote:Yes, when you finish Chapter 1, you will gain access to a way to store things.
Spoiler:
Jin
Thanks.
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

ibdoomed wrote:
Lordnine wrote:For anyone expecting awesome swords for this character realize that at level 30 I have finally gotten my first sword and I would guess we’re almost to the last act.
It's level dependent or something. I'm just barely in the city with all my characters when I hit the 30's and start getting katana and washazki (sp?) swords.
I can also attest to this. I hit Level 30 seconds after entering the Sewers, and the very first chest I opened in there contained a Katana; the first one I had seen the entire game... and I found two more in the next hour.

A lot of folks didn't seem to enjoy the Sewers, but they weren't an issue for me. I actually found them a pleasant diversion from the City, with the exception of those derned Floaters. No matter what I do, they seem to always take 50% of my life away before I can kill them...
Spoiler:
...unless I waste a few bullets from my Shock Pistol, which they seem very vulnerable to.
Black Lives Matter

TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Heads up: The game was just patched on Steam. Here's the changelog:
- Fixed an issue where the game would actually start up. The game now crashes as intended upon launch.
In other words, turn off autoupdate until they fix this, or you won't be able to play the game.
Insert witty comment here.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

TiLT wrote:Heads up: The game was just patched on Steam. Here's the changelog:
- Fixed an issue where the game would actually start up. The game now crashes as intended upon launch.
In other words, turn off autoupdate until they fix this, or you won't be able to play the game.
Are you f*****g kidding me? You know, I bumped into a few minor issues that I can actually live with. The game could go unpatched for all I care - now they're breaking it for me?
Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wow. Color me surprised. And I just checked and confirm that at least on my PC, the game will no longer load. That's some good work, Lou.
abr

Post by abr »

Good thing that I finished it yesterday then, I guess.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

A new patch came out and it works again !
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

TiLT wrote:Heads up: The game was just patched on Steam. Here's the changelog:
I just like to step in at moments like this and point out that turning off auto update does nothing if Steam decides your game needs patching, as I discovered awhile back.
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

Well, I finished it tonight and it's such a relief to get this game behind me. Overall I liked it, but it got so tedious at the end you couldn't pay me to play it again (at least not on single player). The game is artificially long, with duplicate quest structures and locations, no new game mechanics, and back-tracking quests that put Halo to shame. I'm very happy I played it and I'm very happy it's over. Anyway, here are my stats and final opinions:

Play time (as Sam B): 33h 01m 23s
1659 walkers killed
425 infected killed
172 humans killed
24 floaters killed
10 butchers killed
46 suiciders killed
19 rams killed

Positives - Graphics; zombies; first 10 hours of the game.
Negatives - Brutally repetitive for the final 20+ hours; the "story" if we can call it that; all the odd glitches.
Favorite part - Who do you voodoo, bitch!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I haven't even gotten into Act III yet, but I'm still having a blast. Remember, I kill everything. I never run by a Walker struggling to get up or let them survive if they're just 20 feet away and shambling after me.

Purna - 32 Hours, 27 Minutes
Walkers: 2681
Infected: 457
Thugs: ???
Suiciders: 104
Rams: 27
Floaters: 23
Butchers: 0
Humans: 163

The combat doesn't bother me at all. I've been sick, though, and when I feel like crap the last thing I need is extra tension - so I've been playing "nice" games.
Black Lives Matter

Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

Holy cow, you are a machine.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I'm about to hit the 20 hour mark...and I'm just coming up on the Supermarket quest in the city. I think I'm level 26 (or close to it). No idea what my stats are at this point, but I'm still having a blast. I too have a tough time just leaving zombies alone -- they have to be pretty far away from me to ignore them. I'm always afraid they're going to sneak up behind me if I get into a dead end or blocked by a large group, so I'm constantly thinning the herd to make retreat easy.

What I'm really enjoying in the city is the inclusion of human enemies. For a long time it was, "Hey, is that a human standing way over there that needs my help? Why is he walking towards me?" Now I'm thinking, "Hey, why is that human shooting at me?"
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Has anyone else had a Molotov glitch? I made several of them at the workbench, maybe 5 or 6 in rapid succession, and when I opened my inventory I had four stacks of 30. My new basic weapon is a Molotov; I use them for everything now.

Three Walkers on the street? Molotov.
An Infected behind a door? Molotov.
A Floater surrounded by Walkers? Molotov ... Hm.
Bandits in an alley? Molotov.
An office space filled with cubicles and undead? Molotov.
Inverarity wrote:Holy cow, you are a machine.
That's nothin'. I wonder what ibdoomed's numbers are like.
Last edited by Paingod on Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

There was some type of weapon duplication glitch that allowed you to magically create the weapon you were holding by throwing and hitting the backspace key (?)...not sure. But that was patched out yesterday. They also upped the stacks for just about everything (I think) so you can hold way more med kits and Molotov cocktails now. They certainly are useful...until a running zombie torch is coming at you. :)