Dead Island

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Matrix

Re: Dead Island

Post by Matrix »

Smoove_B wrote:As part of their Halloween sale this week, Amazon Download is selling it for $29.99 -- get the key and activate on STEAM.
that was enough of a sale for me to jump on it.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Hmm, the sysreqs aren't as bad as I feared. Would this run decently on a modest E8500 (C2D 3.16 GHz), Geforce 9800GTX+, at 1280x1024?
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Ok, 29.99 is a price point I'm willing to try it for. I sure hope most of the bugs have been cleaned up. Dead Island, here i come.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I like it so far. Its fun smashing zombies but I almost died once when 6 of them came at me at once. Taught me to slow down my attacks so I don't burn all my stamina. Liking this game so far.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Very nice game. I by accident set up internet on, and at one point of the game i stepped out from my compute, when i was almost done with gas quest. LItteraly for 30 seconds, when i got back, someone was driving a car with me in it and i was like WTF. and we were going in the opposite direction. Apparently it was high level trying to help, but after that i turned internet off. Dont want to deal with idiots who might not have best intentions in mind next time.
I see zombies re spawn here in crazy rates.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Don't forget about the Dead Island Helper tool -- it was invaluable, IMHO. I used it to change the FOV, remove desaturation and reduce the bloom.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Run into few bugs, got a teady for the girl went back to base, than loged off. When loged back on, teddy was gone. and i had to do it again.
I really dont like auto leveling zombies, never liked in Morrowind, dont like it here. Was doing 2 gas station quests, got both juice boxes but it for some reason bugged out and didn't count for me getting them. Will have to re do it.

I have the range guy, but i dont seem to find any range weapons?! all i see is one handed or two handed weapons, yet to see something ranged. Is it normal? or maybe i dont know what ranged is.
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

Matrix wrote:I have the range guy, but i dont seem to find any range weapons?! all i see is one handed or two handed weapons, yet to see something ranged. Is it normal? or maybe i dont know what ranged is.
You just throw the normal weapons. Hold right mouse button and then left click.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Finished last night at level 40 w/ 43 hours of play time. The ending was a bit of a let down, but it wasn't stupid hard so at least it had that going for it. Based on my "There and Back Again" achievement, I don't think I have anything left to see, but I am curious how the other three characters play. I don't think I'll jump right back into a new game, but it seems like a great way to just blow off some steam. I had a tremendous time playing and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone that's into the whole zombie thing. Yeah, there are some minor warts but the game play is why I stuck with it. That and it filled my gaming need to explore places. It's so nice to be so enthralled with a PC game for a change.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Freezer-TPF- wrote:Hmm, the sysreqs aren't as bad as I feared. Would this run decently on a modest E8500 (C2D 3.16 GHz), Geforce 9800GTX+, at 1280x1024?
Anyone running it on a similar system, or am I just too behind the curve?
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I was able to get it running on my gf's rig (which was just below a number of the system reqs) by lowering some of the settings in the config files for the game. Turning off shadows in particular was a big boost to her frame rate if I recall.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Freezer-TPF- wrote:
Freezer-TPF- wrote:Hmm, the sysreqs aren't as bad as I feared. Would this run decently on a modest E8500 (C2D 3.16 GHz), Geforce 9800GTX+, at 1280x1024?
Anyone running it on a similar system, or am I just too behind the curve?
It's been posted before, but I cannot recommend this tweak tool enough.
He won. Period.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Finished as Xian the crazy knife girl.
Favorite weapon, Wakazashi

Oof, I think I got killed a lot.

Play time: 39h 15m 28s
Quests 124
Distance 184.94
Items modified 37
Medkits used 81
Food consumed 666
Deaths 92
2825 walkers killed
580 infected killed
263 humans killed
33 floaters killed
15 butchers killed
83 suiciders killed
31 rams killed
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Brian

Post by Brian »

So I came in way late to this party and have really enjoyed the ride until yesterday morning.

Saturday night I was pretty close to the end of the game. I was wrapping up the prison quests and was sitting at about 95% completed. Sunday morning I turned on the PC, loaded DI and hit "Continue" only to somehow wind up back in the swamp with the boat pilot and only 72% completion. What the purple fuck?

This is why checkpoint style save systems suck.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Brian wrote:So I came in way late to this party and have really enjoyed the ride until yesterday morning.

Saturday night I was pretty close to the end of the game. I was wrapping up the prison quests and was sitting at about 95% completed. Sunday morning I turned on the PC, loaded DI and hit "Continue" only to somehow wind up back in the swamp with the boat pilot and only 72% completion. What the purple fuck?

This is why checkpoint style save systems suck.
Oh man, that really sucks bad. Sorry man. I would just quit after that.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Since I didn't want to replay the six to eight hours I'd lost I restarted with a different character type. My original game was with Purna the gun chick so I decided to play the blunt melee weapons guy to see how different he was and I have to say I'm having a WAY easier time in the early game than I did with Purna. Of course, I went almost the entire game with her before figuring out how the rage meter works.

I kept wondering why the hell her rage meter would never fill all the way up. Turns out I was watching the level meter. :oops:

A friend of mine will be picking this up shortly and I want to get a feel for the different characters before we start our co-op run. I have a feeling that he will want to go with the blunt melee dude so I'll probably do our run with the gun chick since I know her quirks (And how her rage meter works now) but if he picks her than I will have an idea of how the others play too.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Brian wrote:A friend of mine will be picking this up shortly and I want to get a feel for the different characters before we start our co-op run. I have a feeling that he will want to go with the blunt melee dude so I'll probably do our run with the gun chick since I know her quirks (And how her rage meter works now) but if he picks her than I will have an idea of how the others play too.
I never had an issue with the Checkpoints in this game. Some folks complained that it'd move them to unpleasant places or even somewhere they hadn't been yet, but that only happened once to me. Everything worked as expected.

The general impressions I've been hearing and have experienced are:

- Logan (Knives, Throwing): Get ready to loose your thrown weapons several times during your career; otherwise a great character, potentially overpowered. Regens and does more damage by getting drunk. Ranged Fury attack, but not as long-range as Purna.
- Xian: Fast and deadly, but blades degrade quicker than bludgeons in general. Her Fury attack requires you to get right in their faces, but also speeds her up.
- Sam: Slow and brutal - and self-healing, meaning that you can just sit somewhere for a minute to recover enough to fight again instead of hiding on a roof and waiting to die because you ran out of medkits. I found him to be an easy ride.
- Purna: The "party" character. She gets general melee bonuses, but good gun bonuses, and party buffs. Holding extra ammo is awesome. Her Fury is the easiest of them all, IMO, and hugely effective - your pistol auto-aims and you just pull the trigger as fast as you can.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Brian

Post by Brian »

So after the lost hours debacle of my first play through as Purna, I played through chapter one as Sam. Then I started a new play through to try out Xian and ran into a serious design issue that I first noticed while playing as Sam but was far worse playing as Xian. The challenges don't reset for each character so I was completing fourth level challenges with Xian that came with huge xp bonuses. I went up thirteen levels in one shot putting me in the low twenties and facing leveled up zombies with level 5 & 6 weapons. That may not have been so bad on its own but I'm planning on playing coop with a friend and want to stay at or near his level while doing do. If I jump 10+ levels during our run that will seriously unbalance things.

Is there any way to reset the challenges?
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

I don't know anyway to reset the challenges. If you got 13 levels from a challenge completion, it was probably one of the rare ones. I wouldn't think you'd hit those often.
Brian

Post by Brian »

There are quite a few challenges that are on the final of four tiers that I am near completing. Some of those fourth tier challenge rewards are up to 80,000 xp.

That will shoot you up quite a few levels if you happen to hit them with a low level character.
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

80k... jeez, I don't remember those at all. I was thinking the big ones were 10k. Or maybe I just didn't complete many of them. I dunno.
Brian

Post by Brian »

I just scrolled through the list and many of the 4/4 level challenge rewards are 80,000 or more points. Most of which I'm near to completing.

One particular fourth tier challenge, Finders Keepers (Loot 5000 Corpses) is worth a whopping 200,000 XP.

Since the game tracks kills and stats cumulatively across all characters played, imagine being just a few kills (or looting in this case) shy of that mark and then starting a new character to play in coop mode with friends. Level one character steps out of the starting building, kills a couple zeds, grabs their $6-$7 each and BOOM! here's 200,000 XP. I imagine that would shoot that character up about 15 levels or so in one shot.

This likely won't be a problem for me as I just got a new video card and a copy of Win7 so I'll be wiping my drive and putting a fresh load on there this weekend.

So even though it won't be a problem for me it's still a pretty seriously flawed implementation.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Brian wrote:So even though it won't be a problem for me it's still a pretty seriously flawed implementation.
As someone who spent an inordinant amount of time exploring (and thus gaining lots of levels outside the main story), I'd have to say it's not really flawed. The game always matches your level pretty perfectly, so even if you got to start with a level 50 character, the game would challenge you from the first fight.

What I'd love to try is getting someone to 50 and starting over in the new game plus mode, and then dealing with that first group of Zeds that chases you into the maintenance closet. I could so whoop their asses now...
Black Lives Matter

Effidian

Post by Effidian »

Paingod wrote:What I'd love to try is getting someone to 50 and starting over in the new game plus mode, and then dealing with that first group of Zeds that chases you into the maintenance closet. I could so whoop their asses now...
They thought of that and so don't start you in that room in New Game+. Bastards...
Brian

Post by Brian »

Paingod wrote:The game always matches your level pretty perfectly, so even if you got to start with a level 50 character, the game would challenge you from the first fight.
Except that a friend and I are planning on a co-op run through starting with new characters. He has just picked up the game so it's entirely possible that my level one character will suddenly shoot up 15+ levels (and thus spawning level 15+ zeds) while leaving his character stuck at level 1 or 2 facing those same level 15+ zeds.

That's my problem with this scenario.

Borderlands, which this game has been compared to, resets all challenges for new characters. This game should have as well.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

That level jump happened to me, and it is an unfortunate experience. The zombies auto-level to match you, but your current weapons do not, so you are suddenly using weapons that are 5 levels out of date. Also, the weapon mods account for a big part of how much damage you can do, and when your only mod is nail-bat, its a really tough road for a while. because of those big jumps I was level 24 when I hit the city, and every fight was difficult because I just could not do enough damage, had to rush around and get the weapon mods first thing to bring my damage up to par.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Jaymon wrote:Also, the weapon mods account for a big part of how much damage you can do, and when your only mod is nail-bat, its a really tough road for a while.
I thought the mods added a little extra damage (+5%?) and a better chance to Critical with an effect for when you did. I would think the first thing to do is simply jump around to a few merchants and find some "level appropriate" equipment and you'll work okay - mods or not.

In Brian's case it's certainly a pain.
Black Lives Matter

Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Got this on Thanksgiving and have been having a blast. I'm at 32% and am in the beginning of Act II.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

I bought this on the Steam sale this week ($11.99). I promised my son we'd get it when it went on sale. I've played this for an hour or so and I'm intrigued. Game seems fun and I'm looking to dig into it more, but of course Diablo has been taking up my gaming time.
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The Dead Island 2 gameplay video got me jonesing to play some Dead Island again, at which point I noticed that the remastered versions of Dead Island and Riptide are currently on sale at 80% off, so I grabbed those instead of firing up the OG versions.

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Tempting...

But then I always think... "I've played it through 5+ times already, I probably won't ever play it again." Until I play through it again... :doh:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've yet to finish it. The harsh auto-aim with no option to disable it (including through modding) on a zombie game makes it feel horrible to me.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:32 pm I've yet to finish it. The harsh auto-aim with no option to disable it (including through modding) on a zombie game makes it feel horrible to me.
100s of hours, and I have no idea what you are referring to. But if it's not for you, then it's not for you.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I'm not sure there either. I had to modify the original because of the head bobbing but I loved both games, start to finish.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Every Dead Island title ported to PC thus far has auto-aim that pulls the aim to the center of the chest of a target. It will pull your aim from off target to the chest, and it will pull your aim from the head down to the chest. PC Gaming Wiki lists it. Riptide, too. Here's an example:

As someone who plays a lot of shooters and has built up a lot of muscle memory over the years for hitting precise shots, it's like someone has a hand on my mouse and keeps moving it around while I'm aiming.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

TheMix wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:58 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:32 pm I've yet to finish it. The harsh auto-aim with no option to disable it (including through modding) on a zombie game makes it feel horrible to me.
100s of hours, and I have no idea what you are referring to. But if it's not for you, then it's not for you.
That's the thing. I love everything about the game - except for the controls (and a few other console left-overs.) It's actually disappointing, as I like the experience, but just can't handle it jerking my mouse around. Maybe it would work better with a pure melee character.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

You can’t turn auto-aim off? That’s cray.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

/shrug

I headshot all the time. I have never had a headshot pulled down to the chest.

Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's been quite a few years since I've played, but I can't say I noticed that. I mean, I can see what's happening in the Youtube video but I don't think it's ever affected me. Huh.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've reinstalled it just to double check (you all are making me doubt myself.)