Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Holman

Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy

Post by Holman »

Pre-orders for Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy are now available.

I've been a huge fan of Combat Mission from the beginning. The whole CMBO/CMBB/CMAK series was wonderful for its time, and CMSF has matured (after early bugginess) into the best tactical wargame available. It's great to see that engine returning to WW2.

The pre-order is $60 (plus $10 shipping) for a fancy box version (with digital download too).
Last edited by Holman on Thu May 12, 2011 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
MonkeyFinger

Re: Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy (Pre-orders)

Post by MonkeyFinger »

In. :wink:
-mf
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

There will be a OS X version as well :) Have they listed system specs yet (for either platform)? They don't seem to be on the main web site.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Oh I want this so bad, but $70 with shipping...ouch.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

Waiting for the digital download but I'm definitely getting it.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Lassr wrote:Oh I want this so bad, but $70 with shipping...ouch.
Serious wargames have crossed the line into expensive boutique territory. But I'll have that $70 down to pennies/hour in no time.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Unfortunately, by continually increasing the price of their games, they're pushing casuals like me out of the market. I own the first three Combat Mission games, but realistically I never wound up sinking a ton of time into them. Still, at $40-50, I'd probably have grabbed this one, because I'm dumb and always think "this'll be the one". At $70 though, I can't make myself get it.

I assume that before they set that price, they did the math and figured out that there weren't enough people who would decide not to buy at the higher price point, and that losing that segment makes good financial sense. For me though, it sucks that I'll likely never get to play this one.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

I skipped CM:SF, glad they're going back to WWII so I'm in too.
Teggy wrote:There will be a OS X version as well :) Have they listed system specs yet (for either platform)? They don't seem to be on the main web site.
System Requirements MINIMUM:

Operating System: Windows XP/Vista/Win7
Processor: Pentium IV 1.8 GHz or equivalent speed AMD processor
Video Card: GeForce 5200 or Radeon 9200 (32 Megabyte VRAM or better and must support 1024x768 or higher resolution) in OpenGL
Sound Card: DirectX 9 compatible Sound Card
System Memory: 256 Megabytes RAM
Hard Drive Space: 3.5 Gigabyte
Other Requirements: DVD Drive (not needed for download version)
The game does not work in a virtualized environment (virtual machine)
System Requirements SUGGESTED:

Operating System: Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7
Processor: Pentium IV 2.8 GHz or equivalent speed AMD processor or better
Video Card: GeForce 6800 or Radeon x850 (256 Megabyte VRAM or better and must support 1024x768 or higher resolution) in OpenGL
Sound Card: DirectX 9 compatible Sound Card
System Memory: 1 Gigabyte or more RAM
Hard Drive Space: 4 Gigabyte
Other Requirements: DVD Drive (not needed for download version, but recommended for backup)
The game does not work in a virtualized environment (virtual machine)
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

Chaz wrote:...At $70 though, I can't make myself get it...
The digital download is $55.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Elmo wrote:
Chaz wrote:...At $70 though, I can't make myself get it...
The digital download is $55.
probably what I end up doing because I do love the Combat Mission series. I just love having a manual to reference while playing but maybe it will be close enough to the other games that I won't need one.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

Well, I bit. I will admit I did it mainly for the manual even thought I played the death out of the original ones (still have them + graphic mods on my hard drive).
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

Yeah, somehow I wound up pre-ordering the metal box for Mac. It's $5 off at the moment and I figure having the paper manual will be nice and I'll still be able to download day 1. But with shipping it was $70 and I almost didn't pull the trigger.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I couldn't find a way to do anything other than order the physical copy for $70 shipped. Is the $55 download only option something that won't show up until the game releases? I ordered it anyway because I'm a sucker for big manuals and metal cases, plus with the new job, I've got extra cash to indulge on a thing or two. ;)
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

Chaz wrote:...Is the $55 download only option something that won't show up until the game releases?...
That's my understanding. Only the steel box can be pre-ordered now.
edosan

Post by edosan »

Chaz wrote:Unfortunately, by continually increasing the price of their games, they're pushing casuals like me out of the market. I own the first three Combat Mission games, but realistically I never wound up sinking a ton of time into them. Still, at $40-50, I'd probably have grabbed this one, because I'm dumb and always think "this'll be the one". At $70 though, I can't make myself get it.

I assume that before they set that price, they did the math and figured out that there weren't enough people who would decide not to buy at the higher price point, and that losing that segment makes good financial sense. For me though, it sucks that I'll likely never get to play this one.
I'm in the exact same situation as you are in this. I'd love to get this and that 200 page manual but that's quite a bit more than what I'm willing to pay. Maybe I'll spend the time trying to figure out the first one instead.
"I made it out alive, by whipping ass." -- U2K
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I hope all of you that pre-ordered for the manual get it. I was tempted to pre-order till I read this (I added bolded part):
Note! The Limited Collector Edition is, well, limited, and available only for as long as supplies last. We cannot guarantee that all pre-order customers will receive the Limited Collector Edition. Orders will be fulfilled in the order they are received. Should the Limited Collector Edition sell out while pre-orders are still in effect, the hardgoods will be substituted with a disc, DVD case and no printed manual. The sale price will remain unchanged. We will edit this page to reflect the availability of the Limited Edition (see icons at the top right)
I think it's stupid that a printed manual doesn't automatically ship out at that that price if you pre-ordered. So not wanting to take that chance I'll just do the digital download on release day.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I saw that, but decided that since they were still advertising the limited edition, I'd take the chance. I think when I read the paragraph you quoted, I missed the "no printed manual" bit. I'll be mighty pissed if I wind up paying a $15 premium just so they can send me the DVD in a regular case.
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

FYI, this was posted today over at Battlefront.com (so those that pre-ordered already look guaranteed to get Steelbox edition)

(Un-)fortunately, the Steelbook[TM] Limited Edition of Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy is now officially "low in stock". If you pre-order it now, you are still guaranteed to get the Steelbook[TM] edition of the game with the deluxe Steelbook[TM] box, printed manual and disc, but stock is running low, and we may be sold out any day now.

We will announce once the product has sold out here as well as on the order page at http://www.battlefront.com/store" target="_blank.

After the Steelbook[TM] edition sells out, (pre-)order customers will receive a regular plastic DVD case with the disc and printed manual. We have printed more manuals than Steelbook[TM] boxes, so the manual will remain available for some time after release.

A note/reminder to our international customers: ALL Steelbook[TM] editions are being sent from our main US location. The remaining stock is too low to warrant a transfer to our European warehouse. This means that international customers may have to pay additional import VAT, customs fees and/or duties, depending on your country's regulations.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Tampa_Gamer wrote:
After the Steelbook[TM] edition sells out, (pre-)order customers will receive a regular plastic DVD case with the disc and printed manual. We have printed more manuals than Steelbook[TM] boxes, so the manual will remain available for some time after release.
That's good that they're throwing in a manual after all to those who pre-ordered regardless of Steelbook availability. Looking forward to this coming out. Enjoyed the Combat Mission:Shock Force Marine expansion and haven't played around with the British one yet but the sterile desert setting just didn't grab me. It will be nice to fight in hedgerows, trees and small quaint French villages again, blowing it all to hell.

I was hoping that this was a demo announcement. :(
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Excellent, confirmation that I'll be getting the version of the game that got me to preorder. ;)

And while it's good that they're giving people manuals even after the steel cases are gone, I think it's kind of shady that it was even an option that you wouldn't get one. I mean, you're already paying a premium for shipping the disc, the least they can do is give you the paper manual.
Toe

Post by Toe »

So wait, if you order limited edition and pay them $70 and then they run out, you get a regular copy and still pay $70??? That is pretty frickin lame if so.
Holman

Post by Holman »

BTW, the CMBN manual is already available to read online here.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Toe wrote:So wait, if you order limited edition and pay them $70 and then they run out, you get a regular copy and still pay $70??? That is pretty frickin lame if so.

You know sonny during the Bulge we'd pay double that for a manual so we could wipe our ass with the paper. The steel box would have been a bonus to crap in to keep the foxhole clean. You spoiled kids today!
Black lives matter!

JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

I'm a big fan of the series; it's been the near-perfect combination of my interests in tactical turn-based combat, "realistic" ballistics modeling, concepts like combat morale, WW2 (esp. the Russo-German War) and PC gaming.

Plus stuff blew up really well.

I recall starting college when the first game came out and all I could afford was the free demo. Played the hell out of it.

I've bought the game(s) several times now - and I don't believe that altogether I paid $70 for all the duplicates and sequels. (Ahh, Electronics Boutique and its used, shrink wrapped games discount bin and its lovely brunette salesgirls, but I digress...)

When you all are veterans of this latest primo edition, please let us know your detailed opiniones.

As well as any screenshots of stuff exploding.

Thanks.
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
Toe

Post by Toe »

$iljanus wrote:
Toe wrote:So wait, if you order limited edition and pay them $70 and then they run out, you get a regular copy and still pay $70??? That is pretty frickin lame if so.

You know sonny during the Bulge we'd pay double that for a manual so we could wipe our ass with the paper. The steel box would have been a bonus to crap in to keep the foxhole clean. You spoiled kids today!
Men fought and died so that we could buy less expensive stuff at lower prices.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Toe wrote:
$iljanus wrote:

Men fought and died so that we could buy less expensive stuff at lower prices.

Freedom isn't free!

Besides isn't the steel box made from the metal remains of Michael Wittmann's Panzer? Surely worth all those $$$.
Black lives matter!

edosan

Post by edosan »

They've said in the past that they would announce when their stock was starting to run out and when it was out entirely. Sure enough on the Battlefront site's front page (dated Monday):
(Un-)fortunately, the Steelbook[TM] Limited Edition of Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy is now officially "low in stock". If you pre-order it now, you are still guaranteed to get the Steelbook[TM] edition of the game with the deluxe Steelbook[TM] box, printed manual and disc, but stock is running low, and we may be sold out any day now.

We will announce once the product has sold out here as well as on the order page at http://www.battlefront.com/store" target="_blank.
Sounds like if you order now, you're still in the clear but I imagine they won't last long as everyone that was deliberating jumps in on the deal.
"I made it out alive, by whipping ass." -- U2K
Holman

Re: Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy

Post by Holman »

The demo is out now, here. The full game is apparently just a few days away.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Holman wrote:The demo is out now, here. The full game is apparently just a few days away.

Since I need to be at work in order to pay for the full game any demo impressions would be greatly appreciated, of course. :)

Tonight, you will be mine little demo.
Black lives matter!

Holman

Post by Holman »

$iljanus wrote: Since I need to be at work in order to pay for the full game any demo impressions would be greatly appreciated, of course. :)
I'm the same boat. I downloaded the demo just in time to head out the door to work before I could even install it.

I'm following the posted impressions at Battlefront.com. They seem to be overwhelmingly positive.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Holman wrote:
$iljanus wrote: I'm following the posted impressions at Battlefront.com. They seem to be overwhelmingly positive.
Maybe I'm misremembering amidst all of Battlefront's consumer misconduct over the years, but don't non-fanboys get banned there?
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Jeff V wrote:
Holman wrote:
$iljanus wrote: I'm following the posted impressions at Battlefront.com. They seem to be overwhelmingly positive.
Maybe I'm misremembering amidst all of Battlefront's consumer misconduct over the years, but don't non-fanboys get banned there?
Heh, I wouldn't know. I should jump on the Wargamer.com forum and read their impressions as well. They won't pull any punches there.
Black lives matter!

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

$iljanus wrote: Heh, I wouldn't know. I should jump on the Wargamer.com forum and read their impressions as well. They won't pull any punches there.
I have a problem.

I just read the thread for you. Not much as of yet, only about three people have played it. So far it's been gripes about download links, speeds, and control issues. From the people that have played it, I haven't seen anything to indicate that they hate it.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Sarkus

Post by Sarkus »

The sense I get from the QT3 thread on the demo is that it runs like crap on powerful machines, has a horrible camera that is years out of date, and that it in other ways it come across as a small time development. Which is not to say that the gameplay is bad, just that from a presentation point of view it is even more dated then the original series was relative to the then current state of the art. Hardcore fans aren't going to care about most of that stuff, though.
Foggy: You have my word as a corporal and a gentleman.
Clegg: Hitler was a corporal!
Foggy: Not in my regiment.
Canuck

Post by Canuck »

I may have been the person complaining about the camera. Once I learned how to use it properly (RTFM duh) it's not as bad as I initially thought. It is still a generation behind though in my opinion. Graphics look great for a CM game but let's not kid ourselves-they don't compare and don't really need to compare to the other RTS games out there. Once you get used to the changes (and there are a lot if like me you refused to buy Shock Force) then it really is the same old (but prettier Combat Mission). I would say that if you are one of those gamers who loved CM but decided not to get involved with SF and wait for the new CMx2 iteration then this is a must buy for you.
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

By why of background, I did not buy CM:SF so I am coming straight from the original CM series which I still play and have on my hard drive (with the usual graphic mods installed) so take that for what it is worth.

My current rig was built in Dec '09:
Windows7/64b
i7 920 @2.7gh
8gb DDR3
Radeon HD 5850
1920x1200

I played the Road to Berlin scenario with all max settings without any lag/hiccups.

Gameplay-wise, it is very much vintage CM series with incredible attention given to unit details. You can play it traditional WEGO (60 second turns) or real-time pausible. I prefer the former, but that is probably my age coming out. All in all, it makes me feel like I am a kid again playing with my 60's vintage army men, but with a real referree so I cannot cheat. I like.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm a full-bore fan of CM, so take that for what you will, but I think this is the second coming of Combat Mission. CM Shock Force had a rough start, but it was eventually ironed out into an extraordinarily good tactical wargame, probably the best at its scale. What CMBN does is take that now highly-polished engine and apply it to the WW2 setting that has long benefited from BTS's grog-love and research.

I've seen the interface complaints, but they make little sense to me. I've played CMSF long enough that the control scheme is second nature. (Maybe the problem here is that the default controls, which use a series of contextual menus, are hard to make intuitive. But most players switch right away to the customizable alternate control scheme that dumps context for one-key/one-function.)

Seeing the game described as "real-time strategy" always throws me. To me, this has always been the computer-assisted evolution of Advanced Squad Leader, a totally different species from Shogun Total War or even Company of Heroes. The AI and the details under the hood all set CM apart.
Canuck

Post by Canuck »

How exactly do you "switch" to the other controls? That's the part I don't get. I can understand that you can edit hotkeys in a text file (huh?) but how do you switch to those hotkeys rather than using the relative system?

Also I wish there were more tooltips in the interface. I suppose I could read the textbook to see what all the different icons mean (especially in the unit description box) but it would be so much easier to have a little tooltip pop up when I hold my mousepointer over the icon.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Canuck wrote: Also I wish there were more tooltips in the interface. I suppose I could read the textbook to see what all the different icons mean (especially in the unit description box) but it would be so much easier to have a little tooltip pop up when I hold my mousepointer over the icon.
Yeah, I have CMSF but I'm not a frequent player and there were three small buttons over the larger command buttons which were new to me (or just forgot what they did in CMSF) but for the life of me I don't know what they do. I'll be reading the manual to figure it out but a popup would make the game more readily approachable. Also I still miss the mouse based menu of the original Combat Mission engine. Thought it was very simple to just select my unit and right clicking to bring down the command menu. I can never figure out why they went away from that.

Now back to the demo!
Last edited by $iljanus on Thu May 12, 2011 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black lives matter!

JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013