Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

ydejin

Re: Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy

Post by ydejin »

Sarkus wrote:The sense I get from the QT3 thread on the demo is that it runs like crap on powerful machines, has a horrible camera that is years out of date, and that it in other ways it come across as a small time development. Which is not to say that the gameplay is bad, just that from a presentation point of view it is even more dated then the original series was relative to the then current state of the art. Hardcore fans aren't going to care about most of that stuff, though.
My machine was powerful when it was built in October 2007. Since then I've upgraded the video card, but nothing else -- Core2Duo 3GHz, 4 GB memory, GTX 285, Vista 32. Running at 1920x1200.

It runs quite well with graphics all on max settings.

Warning: even with max settings the graphics do look dated. My biggest complaint is that the ground textures look like crap. Other than that, everything else looks acceptable, but not very impressive. It looks like a niche product, which it is.
Clanwolfer

Post by Clanwolfer »

For what it's worth, it runs fine on a stock 2010 Mac Mini (which I was a bit worried about since it's only got 2GB of RAM in it right now). Will see how it runs on max settings when my 8GB RAM kit gets in.

However - the UI is impossible to read from the couch playing at 1080p, which won't be such an issue after I have a printed manual with the hotkeys (or I change to absolute hotkeys instead of relative and print out a reference for myself), and I re-acclimate myself enough to it that I can at least spot what kind of unit I'm dealing with. Not a surprise, just needs time to relearn since I haven't really played a CM game since CM:BB.
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

Couple of additional thoughts after tinkering with for about 4 hours last night.

- agree with comments regarding ground graphics and the smoke (which I think is horrible), but I would rather developers focus on getting AI and gameplay correct. Modders will soon fill the void since (as with the original) it is a completely open system for graphics/sound.

- agree with the gripe about no right click (you have to hit the space bar to bring up the old right click menu). I tried to re-route the commands in the hotkey file to swap the r.click function so that the space bar could be activated but you cannot map mouse functions :( I assume they did this because r.click is used universally to de-select your current unit.

- AI routinely kicked my butt in the Road to Berlin scenario, reaffirming that once again that I am not even a good armchair commander but does not necessarily mean the AI is good.

- I am having problems with passable/non-passable terrain. The manual says no bocage is passable, yet my troops seem to be able to move through some. I assume those were hedges and I just could not tell between the hedge/bocage but I will have to look more closley tonight. I had a problem with the stream as well, but I seem to recall problems with CMx1 in this regard as well. Really need a hovering tooltip for terrain declaring passable or impassable, but maybe that is part of the "fog of war" concept they try and bring about.

[edit] OK, found a partial answer to that last one on p.34 of the manual which describes in detail the different types of bocage and fences. Seems there are sporadic holes in the bocage for infantry, you just dont know where they will be.
DragonKP

Post by DragonKP »

Tampa_Gamer

Actually, if you zoom all the way down to ground level and get up close to the hedges, you can see the openings that infantry can use.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Canuck wrote:How exactly do you "switch" to the other controls? That's the part I don't get. I can understand that you can edit hotkeys in a text file (huh?) but how do you switch to those hotkeys rather than using the relative system?
It's explained in the "hotkeys" and "alternate hotkeys" text files in the game's Data folder. What I've always done is set the direct command scheme the way I like it and make the relative command scheme blank. This new game seems to come with an alternate scheme already set up for you.

Basically, the default (relative) control scheme maps different commands onto a 9x9 grid of keys like so:

UIO
JKL
M,.

Depending on what order mode you've chosen (movement, combat, etc.), the keys mean different things. It's a weird system that only some people like, and I could never get used to it. Fortunately, it's easy to use the alternate hotkeys to simply set up "direct commands," so that (for instance) "M" always means Move and "T" always means target, etc.

The decision to make the weird and unintuitive system the default has probably put a lot of people off the series.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

For those who have preordered you should be able to download the game now!

I'm so weak that I decided to preorder just to be able to download it and play tonight. Probably won't even get the shiny box to ogle at either but I've been waiting for combat mission to get back to ww II and i did enjoy the demo.

Everyone in the house needs to go to bed now while daddy "works" at the computer. Or more likely I'll be playing this after 11pm.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Clanwolfer

Post by Clanwolfer »

DO NOT BUY THE MAC VERSION CURRENTLY.

The serial key activation is broken - the keys are 30 digits, the Mac program will only take 19. So there's no way to activate the Mac copy right now, on at least a number of setups.

No word yet if it's everyone with a Mac or not but nobody has chimed in on the thread to say they were successful.

Super-annoyed, since it's such a basic item to test and because I was hoping the release would be a nice little birthday present...

Edit: It's "fixed", via a patch that has to be applied manually and requires a bit of Mac knowledge to do - they'll be patching the installer overnight, apparently, and the CD gold version doesn't have the issue.

SUPER-quick impressions after a 30-minute realtime meeting engagement:

The quick battle force purchasing mechanism is just awesome. Tons of detail and choice, though I was constraining myself pretty heavily with a tiny force size and infantry only. The computer auto-picker gives some decent suggestions though of course they can be refined (i.e., taking antitank units out for the infantry-only scenario and replacing with a few BARs).

It also does a great job at varying the forces. I wanted to go with a lot of manpower, so I basically went with a bunch of basic rifle units and a ton of MGs, and just a couple of 60mm mortars - for the opponent, it selected an incredibly artillery-heavy force (probably to a fault). My guys got absolutely hammered on the way to the middle of the map (I'm guessing by a preset artillery point that was bought), and hammered again about 20 minutes in when a forward observer finally got far enough up to put eyes on the ridge that I had my MGs and mortars set up on. I'd say that 80% of my casualties were in the first minute and the 20th minute.

That said, that purchase for the Germans left them with damn near nothing for infantry. I was able to establish a presence in the victory area early, got an HMG and a marksman up in the tall buildings, a few scattered rifle units on the lower floors, and really wasn't in too much danger of being pushed out at any point. Every time the Germans would make a move they either had to go through open field where my infantry had covered, or through areas exposed to my many, many MGs. They used a forested area to sneak some infantry close but the riflemen pushed them back and then my 60mm mortars pounded the hell out of the woods - definitely 'danger close' to my own men but well worth it, as no credible threat came from that spot again.

In the end, I had about 2x as many KIA and 1.5x as many WIA as the Germans, but I had something like 118 men OK to their 8 (!). If their artillery had been just a little more accurate in the beginning and shaken up more of my infantry, it would have been a lot closer, as I would never have been able to set up my defense in the village and would have had to fight in the open for it.

Things I'm looking forward to most - getting the time, hopefully next week, for some WEGO turn-based action (I can't properly appreciate the graphical detail, or for that matter concentrate on more than one area of the map at a time, in the real-time mode, as fun as it is.

Doing the rest of the tutorials so I can actually feel like I know what I'm doing instead of winging it.

Getting a handle on armor again - I tried some in the demo, but it was throwing me up against Panzers that were absolutely outmatching me. I need to figure out how to outfox German armor again. Again, I think turn-based mode will help with this, so I can pay attention to detail instead of half-assing it while I manage my infantry.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Various thoughts on the game:

So I've been playing around with this for two nights and I'm favorably impressed. The simple presence of foliage made a big difference for me as opposed to the starkness of fighting Syrians in the desert. The camera controls seem to be tighter compared to the demo although there have been reports of jerky movements using the WASD controls. Battlefront is aware of it though and will try to squash it in an upcoming patch. I don't have any problems with the camera so I'm a happy camper.

The graphics are fine for me and it is certain that hi-res mods will probably be released for things like shrubbery and grass which are the weakest part of the game graphically. But that isn't really a sticking point with me. There are already explosion mods, sound mods, tracer mods and I can only see more mods available in the future, especially with how robust the original mod community was for Combat Mission 1. I like the detail on the individual soldiers and the vehicles are well done, especially when they explode. It adds to my immersion factor when the occasional burning tank will explode as their ammo cooks off. I should watch to see if any nearby troops are injured in secondary blasts which would reflect how one should avoid strolling near burning tanks in real life I suppose.

WEGO is fun: Part of the attraction of the WEGO system is being able to play back turns and just enjoy what unfolds. Was playing a battle scenario called Barkmann's Corner on the German side which centered on a tank commander named Barkmann (obviously) who was holding off an Allied advanced with some troops and a single Panther. In one of the turns I was able to light up 4 Shermans in one game turn. Being an elite unit it just calmly took out one tank after the other even as shells were plunking off the tank. I had strategically positioned my tank so the more armored front took the brunt of hits and in one replay I had a close up view of Barkmann's tank and actually saw an armor piercing shell bounce off the front and bury itself in the ground before exploding. It was white hot and I could even see the shape of the shell as it bounced away.

In another battle I had some troops in a small town which had a Sherman tank causing some troubles for my men. I rushed a Panzerschreck team to a low wall opposite the tank hoping for the best. Didn't look too hopeful because the team would be firing towards the front of the Sherman where the armor would be a little thicker, well that and the small issue of being in the firing arc of the tank's MG and cannon. Cheering my little pixeltrooper on I zoomed on on him to see his fate. Machine gun rounds were kicking up dirt all around him but he just calmly loaded his panzerschreck and took aim. Was surprised he didn't break and run but perhaps he was a veteran of the Eastern Front or was just extra pissed that day. He takes the shot and ends up taking out the tank. Being caught up in the moment however, he unfortunately runs toward the tank which is now unloading a very pissed tank crew which starts firing at him. As the replay ends, he's in one of those action movie poses where his arms are flapping in the air and he's arching forward. Next turn though he still is on his feet and runs to safety around the corner. Hope he survived the war and owns a nice quiet farm.

Controlling your troops: So bought Combat Mission Shock Force close to release date and after struggling with pathfinding issues put it far from my mind. Eventually it was patched up and I played the Marine expansion which was more fun while the British expansion has yet to be touched. In this game though, I've had few pathfinding issues with my troops. Vehicles and troops usually go where they are sent. One time I selected multiple squads to move to a location just to see how that would work out and two out of the three squads arrived at the destination. Since I ordered them over a bridge, I thought that worked out well since bridges can mess up mass movement orders. Issuing movement orders to multiple selected groups over regular terrain where there are no geographical bottlenecks worked fine. Had some issues over unit placement in buildings in the demo in regards to their facing. There is a "face" command though which I forgot about that helps. Will have to place more units in buildings and see how they behave. Windows make a difference instead of being an abstract feature, since if there are no windows in the direction that you want your troops to face there will be no line of sight in that direction.

With the various commands that can be issued to your units, the WEGO style of play is the better way to go. I think their keyboard shortcut scheme is pretty unintuitive and I just end up using my mouse to click on my orders. And with WEGO you aren't under time pressure to move your units about. I do miss the right-click drop down menu system that was in the original game since it was easy to just right click on a unit and select your commands from there. But that isn't changing and again when playing WEGO you can take your time finding what you need click on.

"You want me to do what, Sir? Respectfully, screw you...Sir!": Troop morale and command elements play an important part in the game. Your squads are not mindless shock troopers which will run headlong into MG fire under your orders. They can be suppressed and will be more than happy to cower and run away if faced with overwhelming odds. Having a command element within shouting and visual distance will toughen them up though, increasing your chances of taking that well defended position. Command units will also help units recover morale over time quicker than if they are on their own. Your command units are also the ones who are able to call in artillery if they have line of sight and a way of contacting said artillery, such as a radio. It's a pain in the ass when an attack breaks due to morale but I appreciate the realism and it just makes you think a little harder about providing better support for an attack. I haven't played around, with the exception of Herr Barkmann, with elite units and perhaps there are morale modifiers associated with those units. And you do have instances of your little pixeltroopers just getting it done like my Panzerschreck fella mentioned above.

I've taken enough work time typing this out so I'll continue later with my impressions of the Quick Battle purchase system and other game impressions. If your on the fence, just download the demo and take it for a spin. The demo has some good scenarios which will give you enough information I think to make an informed judgement.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

Awesome report, Lt.

I've messed around with the demo - and I do enjoy it. I suspect via impressions like yours and my demo experience (as well as the years I've enjoyed the earlier Combat Missions) that I would like the game too, like it a lot.

I'm a fan of custom battles, especially if I can assemble the correct mix of men and machines to my specifications. So I'd welcome further good reads.
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
Arnir
Location: Right here. No, a bit left. A bit up. Okay, close enough. Texas.

Post by Arnir »

I just ordered the download and mail version. Should have it on the drive in 10 more minutes. I was there when this was going to be a CASL program. Loved the first games but never really got into CM:SF although I bought it for five bucks at Half Priced Books. I have high hopes for this though.

Regarding their forums, they don't ban non-fanboys, but the mods can be very mercurial. I was always amazed at just how much crap they would take and then suddenly drop the hammer over what seemed to be nothing. I do feel, though, that they have gotten arrogant over the last few years and it shows. I hesitate to buy anything out of house from them as they might drop support and move it to a new publisher, but I have confidence in their support of the CM games.
Blast from the past:Currently playing: Civ 4, HoI 3 (or at least trying to). Intel Pentium Dual Core E2220 2.4ghz, PNY GeForce GTS 250 1GB, 4GB system ram, Vista 64.
Chaosraven's D&D Party 2: Arthur Leadwyrm (now game 1) For your GPS PoI needs
"She needed a green card; I wanted a man card."
Arnir

Post by Arnir »

Now I remember why I stopped going to their forums for a long time. They have a lot of great posters who are very helpful, but they also have a huge number of self-righteous jerks that police the place according to their whim. I respect what Steve and crew has done with his products, but sometimes I think they have crossed Steve Jobs and Derek Sm... ( he who must not be named) on the boards. "We have given you exactly what I want you to have and you do not have the credentials to question us...."
Blast from the past:Currently playing: Civ 4, HoI 3 (or at least trying to). Intel Pentium Dual Core E2220 2.4ghz, PNY GeForce GTS 250 1GB, 4GB system ram, Vista 64.
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

Looks like my order just shipped today! Was hesitant to download it for some reason (even though I have the right to). Hopefully DVD version does not have diskcheck, otherwise will go for download version.
Arnir

Post by Arnir »

I realized that while I was bitching about the forums, I forgot to add that the game is top notch and wargamers should buy it. Don't expect gee whiz graphics but they are solid and attractive. I like to think of the series as being able to play miniatures on the computer.

BFC will also be there for the long haul with the Combat Mission games so I think that if you like the genre, a purchase is a must.

Be aware though, that they have a licensing system. (Can't remember if this is posted or not). You get 4 initial installations, although you are really only licensed for two computers. There are no uninstalls. Every 365 days you get one new installation license. They say you can contact them if for whatever reason you fall outside of the normal installation pattern. I trust BFC will probably be helpful with this but I do admit that I don't really like this system much. BTW, these system is for disc and download versions.

Edit: The camera system still sucks big time, though.
map

Post by map »

The camera system is a pain, but this is a great wargame.
Peace through Strength
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

So the first patch for this game has just been released. Here's some of the changes from the Battlefront website. Linkage to patch can be found at http://www.battlefront.com" target="_blank

Haven't tried it out yet but I like that they improved the effectiveness of trenches and foxholes which have previously been convenient burial holes for your troops to die. Also the keyboard control for the camera is supposedly smoother. I usually use the mouse to maneuver because the keyboard can be a bit stuttery at times. Looking forward to playing this version!
Vehicles

Hit text for projectiles that enter an open vehicle hatch says "Hit: Opening" rather than turret or hull.
Fixed a bug that prevented ricochets off a Panther lower mantlet into the hull top (though this intentionally remains rare).
The glacis/hull-roof armor plate on the Tiger front is thicker.
PSW 222 and PSW 223 are capable of firing weapons after losing a crewman, and have slightly improved commander's visiblity when buttoned up.

Terrain

Troops hiding in trenches or foxholes get better protection from shrapnel.
Direct hits do more damage to trees.

Quick Battles

The unit auto-purchaser is improved.
Air support may only be purchased during daytime with clear or hazy weather.

Artillery

When a forward observer cannot see where spotting rounds impact, he will usually require another round to be fired rather than skip ahead to fire-for-effect with poor accuracy.
White phosphorous (smoke) does not cause unrealistically high casualties.

Soldier Behavior

Soldiers can spot anti-tank mines (in addition to anti-personnel mines).
Soldiers are quicker to stop attempting to surrender if friendly soldiers are nearby and enemies are not.

Misc

Troops may throw grenades from buildings at open-topped vehicles.
Corrected some minor pathing problems across bridges.
Keyboard camera controls are smoother (Windows version).
When attaching targeting orders to a waypoint, the range display is calculated from the waypoint, not the unit's current location.
Clicking Exit or New in the Editor brings up a confirmation dialog.
MP40 ammo pouches display correctly on German soldiers.
Updated US rank icons.
Fixed some out-of-memory problems.
And lots more...!
Black lives matter!

Holman

Post by Holman »

In related news, Battlefront also released a patch for the Combat Mission: Shock Force series, fixing some niggling issues there.
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

So I honestly never played this much when it came out last year, but I got an itch to try it again with the latest patch that came out earlier this week.

Grab it here: http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?op ... Itemid=478" target="_blank

Going through the training missions again, just to brush up but expect to play some games this weekend with the wife out of town. I know there a plenty of mods out there, but any "must haves"?
Holman

Post by Holman »

I've been playing the Commonwealth Module that was just released, which is just great. But I'm a long-time CM fanboy.

Lately the Syria situation has me going back to CMSF too.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Holman wrote:I've been playing the Commonwealth Module that was just released, which is just great. But I'm a long-time CM fanboy.

How's the campaign? Heard there was a new one for the Commonwealth and German forces. New maps as well? I haven't touched the CM:Normandy for a while but did enjoy it and come back to it from time to time. I'm waiting for a good Market Garden campaign/scenario to be done (if someone hasn't come up with one already).
Black lives matter!

Holman

Post by Holman »

$iljanus wrote:
Holman wrote:I've been playing the Commonwealth Module that was just released, which is just great. But I'm a long-time CM fanboy.

How's the campaign? Heard there was a new one for the Commonwealth and German forces. New maps as well? I haven't touched the CM:Normandy for a while but did enjoy it and come back to it from time to time. I'm waiting for a good Market Garden campaign/scenario to be done (if someone hasn't come up with one already).
I haven't tried the new campaigns yet. There are tons of new scenarios with the module, but the game has always had a robust map/scenario editor. User-designed scenarios and campaigns easily outnumber the originals.
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

AAR from the recently announced Combat Mission: Fortress Italy. Reinforced Platoon of American Paratroopers against Italian Company with Armor Platoon.
persself

Post by persself »

This guy made a documentary, he calls it "mockumentary". It is a 15 part, 200min body of work, which is like a video AAR. It is amazing stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOBQJPqS ... D8FA8BA1E5
Girl Gamer Extraordinaire-less/Redskins Fan
Holman

Post by Holman »

The Market Garden expansion for Combat Mission Battle for Normandy has just been released. It looks excellent: new vehicles and unit formations, updates to the engine, and tons of very well-researched scenarios (down to getting individual houses in just the right place).
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I picked up the Android version through of Amazon's "Free Paid Apps" of the day. Wow. Just because you can miniaturize something to fit on a phone display doesn't mean you should Everything is just too small to see.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

From what I understand, it's still not everything.
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

FYI: this and other Combat Mission games are now available on Steam. You can get a Steam code for previous purchases by having a Slytherine account and registering the game with your Battlefront activation key. It didn't accept my original activation code for the game but it did for my upgrade 3-4 bundle. It's currently on sale, but that's not saying much for Matrix/Slytherine even though CMBN is 12 years old.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Slitherine did not accept my Battlefront activation code either.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Freyland wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:51 pm Slitherine did not accept my Battlefront activation code either.
Have you paid for one of the major engine updates? The latest (3.0) is the code Slitherine wants, since otherwise they're giving it to you for free.
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

Freyland wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:51 pm Slitherine did not accept my Battlefront activation code either.
Open a ticket at: battlefront.mojohelpdesk.com. Hopefully, they can help you out since as far as I can tell you can't even buy just the upgrade anymore. It cost me $15 a few years ago to go from 1.0 to 4.0.