Darksiders: What's the Deal With That?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

NickAragua

Darksiders: What's the Deal With That?

Post by NickAragua »

Yeah, I have no idea one way or the other about this thing, but it's apparently on a Steam sale for 75% off (as per http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showth ... p?t=138935).

Anyone ever play this? Any opinions?
Black Lives Matter
Doomboy

Re: Darksiders: What's the Deal With That?

Post by Doomboy »

It is fun. But pretty mindless. Just lots of slashing and jumping around. Not quite as much fun, in my opinion, as Prototype or Red Faction Guerrilla. But in that same sort of vein.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I spent a few hours with it on the Xbox360 based on the generally positive feedback it was getting in the press...and eventually just gave up. I don't understand why it was so highly praised as I found it to be rather repetitive. Truth be told, I also didn't care much for the art style; the main character had these giant feet. It was like playing a Quake throwback. Conceptually I thought the story idea was awesome but it just never came together for me. I'd look for some youtube videos for gameplay to see if you'd be into it because I had no idea what to expect and I was rather disappointed.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I've played about half of it on 360. It's pretty fun and looks amazing. Theres one boss fight with a dragon demon that made me pull my hair out but other than that it's good.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
disarm

Post by disarm »

i played Darksiders on the 360 and thought it was a really fun game. it wasn't even on my radar until it started getting really positive reviews and i fell victim to the forum effect over at GamingTrend. in my opinion, it's definitely worth $10.

if you want more detailed info, there was a pretty extensive discussion at GamingTrend around the time of its release.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Some aspects are actually amazing, such as the art, but most of it is just a decent action/adventure in the vein of Zelda meets God of War (or rather the Horseman War) with an emphasis on Zelda above all else.

One review of the game really hit the nail on the head about the story in that it's refreshingly predictable, but well presented. They don't try to do a big twist, but rather they just roll with things and do a good job of it.

Gameplay, especially combat, feels like they copied certain aspects of God of War/DMC style games without working out all the complex timings that makes them great, and that's probably because they put so much effort into the Zelda style adventure (which is the bulk of the gameplay).
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Turtle wrote:Some aspects are actually amazing, such as the art, but most of it is just a decent action/adventure in the vein of Zelda meets God of War (or rather the Horseman War) with an emphasis on Zelda above all else.
I don't get the Zelda comparisons. I picked up the game for $10 based on hearing similar things about the game, and I found it nothing like Zelda. Sure you occasionally get a new weapon, but that's about the only similarity I see. It seems much closer to GoW to me.

I thought the game was ok, but undeserving of it's praise. I ended up playing for about 5 or 6 hours before losing interest.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I tried the demo on the 360, too. It never managed to make me want more. I'm not overly fond of combo fighters, and the art style didn't really appeal to me, either. A little too WoW, running around with an Arthas clone.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Ninyu

Post by Ninyu »

It certainly does follow the Zelda formula. Get a new weapon or tool in the dungeon and use it to kill the mini boss and then reach previously unreachable areas of the world. I'm not sure what game Ralph was playing. I really loved that game. Definitely a stylized WoW-like art style which I like, too.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Ninyu wrote:It certainly does follow the Zelda formula. Get a new weapon or tool in the dungeon and use it to kill the mini boss and then reach previously unreachable areas of the world. I'm not sure what game Ralph was playing. I really loved that game. Definitely a stylized WoW-like art style which I like, too.
Yeah, but it's completely linear. Half the fun of Zelda was traveling all over the place at the beginning and realizing how many areas you couldn't access at that point. I never got that sense of exploration in Darksiders.
Black Lives Matter
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Darksiders also has traveling around to find stuff. And some Zeldas have gotten pretty linear.

The two are still pretty similar if you consider in both games, the only real exploring you do is for extra stuff and upgrades.

From what I hear about Darksiders 2, they're putting more focus on the combat, and may be adding in co-op.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Recall hearing that the PC version got ramped up significantly when it came to difficulty. I certainly remain stuck in Twilight Cathedral, which is pretty early on.
A patch add in a difficulty slider would be most welcome ... or an enhanced save system.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I'm stuck right after that demon dragon thing. It has given me access to the tunnel network but i dont know where to go, where I've been, or how to get there.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

I think you see the merchant and, where he is, there is tunnel access. Mind you, that's from 'reading ahead' as I haven't beaten the cathedral level yet and I think that's when tunnel access opens.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I just started this on the 360, and I'm really enjoying it. I really like the story/ mythology as well as the art, and after sticking to guild wars for a couple of months, this has been just right.

tapatalkin'
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Fired up the remaster last night, and it certainly shows an older method of game design.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:53 pm Fired up the remaster last night, and it certainly shows an older method of game design.
It caught my eye when the previous post mentioned "I just started this on the 360". Ten years between posts? Is that a record?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold