Elder Scrolls Skyrim thread

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Elder Scrolls Skyrim thread

Post by Daehawk »

This thread will be for all things Skyrim....trailers, news, impressions..etc etc. Starting out with a trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTURc3Fv ... r_embedded" target="_blank

And it's on the 360 so im already thinking of cancelling my pre order. i do NOT want to go through the console'itis UI yet again. In fact I refuse to wait on mods to fix it. To hell with that. If they can release it ready for PC then Ill keep[ my order.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
silvaril

Post by silvaril »

Heya

That's nothing.

Consider if you will that the Consoles are still at DirectX v9.

So no DX10+ effects et al for any of those Console games...
Ahriman

Re: Elder Scrolls Skyrim thread

Post by Ahriman »

I think Todd Howard mentioned there's a chance the PC version of Skyrim might ship with some DX11 support. Probably depends whether or not they have time to add those and still hit the 11/11 ship date.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

i am getting the game, but i feel same thing will happen with this game as with other Betsheda morrowind line of games. I get really excited and play it for a 10-20 hours, then i just get side tracked. I am not sure why. I love the concept of open world, and the atmosphere, and i will play it some amount of time, and then i just side track. I have much better span of attention with Diablos esq games, and FPS, and some Strategy games.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Same. I did not finish Arena , I did not finish Daggerfall. I did finish Morrowind and all expansions. I did not finish Oblivion. I tried twice and gave it good goes. But in the end I got bored or side tracked and didn't go back. I can't believe Im getting Skyrim but i will and Ill not finish it perhaps :)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Matrix wrote:i am getting the game, but i feel same thing will happen with this game as with other Betsheda morrowind line of games. I get really excited and play it for a 10-20 hours, then i just get side tracked. I am not sure why. I love the concept of open world, and the atmosphere, and i will play it some amount of time, and then i just side track. I have much better span of attention with Diablos esq games, and FPS, and some Strategy games.
Same here but it usually takes me more like 50-80 hours to get sidetracked and quit. At which point I figure it's worth the price.

I'm in for Skyrim, although it will probably take me months to get 50 hours in at my current gaming rate.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Good to see at the ~3:20 mark we still haven't figured out to have the enemy AI respond to seeing a companion get sniped by your arrows. I've never been real big on the RPG aspects of the Elder Scrolls system, but I do enjoy me some exploration. I'm hopeful...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
ScaryMike

Post by ScaryMike »

Awesome video preview. 14 minutes, G4 "Exclusive" from E3. I am now super stoked about this game.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/06 ... of-skyrim/" target="_blank
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Looks nice, but really not diggin' the console menu usage. It's very very obviously designed for "Hold left trigger, move analog stick, press "X" to select" - and as a PC user these menus end up feeling very sluggish, slow, and almost insulting.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Well, considering an interview with the lead producer gives us this quote:
We develop toward the consoles and then porting to PCs is not too bad, actually.
it should explain more. I'm not surprised given how many copies of Oblivion were sold on the Xbox360/PS3. I'm surprised he admitted it.
ScaryMike

Post by ScaryMike »

Paingod wrote:Looks nice, but really not diggin' the console menu usage. It's very very obviously designed for "Hold left trigger, move analog stick, press "X" to select" - and as a PC user these menus end up feeling very sluggish, slow, and almost insulting.

The console-itus of this bugs me too. But frankly, we just don't have big name publishers making games like this solely for the PC. That sucks, but I look at is a "take the good with the bad." I'd rather have someone making massive open world RPGs with flaws, than not making them at all.
Jag

Post by Jag »

It gets worse:
Bethesda: Consoles to be the lead platform for Skyrim, aim to make it “really accessible”In an interview with CVG, Bethesda’s Craig Lafferty said that Skyrim has been developed with consoles as the lead target.The lead producer on Skyrim said: “We use the consoles as our lead SKU… So we develop towards the consoles and then porting to PC is usually not too bad actually .

”The above comments are likely to cause PC gamers a bit of grief, and the next thing on Craig Lafferty’s mind was unlikely to appease them.“We wanted to take it and make it really accessible,” the producer said.“… We still have the complexity behind the scenes, but we wanted to make it so that you could pick up the controller and play and it was easy; the average person could get into it…We knew we wanted to make the user interface a little bit more open and available … get away from the stats and things like that.”Hopefully this doesn’t mean we will be getting a dumbed down version of the RPG, but rather a slicker and more streamlined game. Simplifying RPG’s usually equates to commercial success, but also causes a split in your core audience, as we saw with Dragon Age 2. Bethesda will have to make sure they don’t alienate its established fan base in its quest to please the “average person”.The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim releases on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on November 11.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

:cry:

It's so wrong. "Accessible" is by no means a PC-friendly term. It's a "we want to target the guys who love Madden 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011" kind of line. The kind of line you get from your girlfriend when you find out she's been sleeping with your you-thought-he-was-gay friend. It's a death-knell to difficulty and complexity, and it makes the games more "average" instead of "satisfyingly interesting" ...
Black Lives Matter

godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

Would you rather have no Skyrim at all? Seriously, they are going to emphasize the version that will make them the most money and I don't see a problem with that. If they didn't, they probably wouldn't be able to make games of this scale. Oblivion was designed the same way and it turned out fantastic on both PC and Console so I fail to understand the anger toward something everyone should have already known.
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

godhugh wrote:Oblivion was designed the same way and it turned out fantastic on both PC and Console so I fail to understand the anger toward something everyone should have already known.
Well, just because it sucked then doesn't mean they couldn't learn from the experience and change how Skyrim launches. For example, why should PC gamers need to wait for a motivated group of modders to fix the UI or remove the "Loading..." message? Shouldn't that be something that launches on the PC version?
Sarkus

Post by Sarkus »

Oblivion and Fallout 3 were both designed with consoles as the leads, so I don't get why anyone would be surprised that the same is true of Skyrim. We'll have to see if they've gone too far this time, but after the last two Bethesda in-house RPGs, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that they aren't screwing over the PC segment.
Foggy: You have my word as a corporal and a gentleman.
Clegg: Hitler was a corporal!
Foggy: Not in my regiment.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Well that's the problem, we don't have a choice it's the console port version or nothing so we buy it. Really we want the PC version for PC's. Not going to happen though.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I enjoyed Oblivion on the 360 but I suspect the reason I eventually fizzled out on it was that it was on the console.

Still, I'll probably play skyrim on the console. If it's designed for a couch and controller, I might as well play it that way.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ScaryMike

Post by ScaryMike »

I'm pretty excited about the dual hand mechanic. I love the idea of being able to have a spell in one, and a weapon in the other, or sword and board, or duel weapon or even duel spell. I wonder if there will be 2 handed weapons though.. How will bow wielding work? Wait, I think they show a bow in the video. I'll have to go back and look.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Sarkus wrote:Oblivion and Fallout 3 were both designed with consoles as the leads, so I don't get why anyone would be surprised that the same is true of Skyrim. We'll have to see if they've gone too far this time, but after the last two Bethesda in-house RPGs, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that they aren't screwing over the PC segment.
I'm not. The PC versions of Oblivion and Fallout 3 were both bug-ridden messes. They're in a very select group of games that consistently crash on my PC, even without mods (and trying to mod them just increases the crash frequency from once every couple hours to a couple times an hour, even with just simple mods like interface overhauls).
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Zurai wrote:
Sarkus wrote:Oblivion and Fallout 3 were both designed with consoles as the leads, so I don't get why anyone would be surprised that the same is true of Skyrim. We'll have to see if they've gone too far this time, but after the last two Bethesda in-house RPGs, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that they aren't screwing over the PC segment.
I'm not. The PC versions of Oblivion and Fallout 3 were both bug-ridden messes. They're in a very select group of games that consistently crash on my PC, even without mods (and trying to mod them just increases the crash frequency from once every couple hours to a couple times an hour, even with just simple mods like interface overhauls).
The console version of Oblivion and Fallout 3 were both also bug-ridden mess. Morrowind were also bug-ridden mess at release. Daggerfall and Arena were both bug-ridden mess, too. So the problem is not design for console then port to PC. The problem is that Bethesda doesn't release bug-free games.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Maybe it was because it was the first one I really ernt at full throttle. Or maybe it was the setting of the game with all the graphics. But the only one I really loved was Morrowind. I finished it. Can't say that about any of the other ones. I even finished all the addons for it. I had a lot of fun in it. One of my favorite places was the second town you came yo. The one with your Blade contact. Was it Balmora? Can't recall now. But I loved just hanging out in that town and made it my hub for all my adventures. The first town with it's light house was pretty damn cool too. The start and the starting area of Oblivion just didn't strike me the way MW did. I played the hell out of it but it never grabbed me. Not sure if Skyrim can or not. But I will give it a shot.
ScaryMike

Post by ScaryMike »

Well, at least we can count on great graphics for the pc:

"...Skyrim is unquestionably going to be a beautiful game. The PC footage is beyond belief, and just the stills are breathtaking. Which makes their decision to demo it on a vast cinema screen with the 360 code an utterly bewildering one. People turned to each other in confusion and asked, “Why would they show us this version?”"

Rock Paper Shotgun E3 2011 First Look: Skyrim
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/06 ... ok-skyrim/" target="_blank
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

The game looks great. Unfortunately, I didn't care for Oblivion (loved Morrowind though) and I am preparing myself for disappointment.

One thing though - they say they got rid of cliff racers (yay!) but then turn around and in almost the same breath talk about their wonderful, unscripted, neverending dragons that will attack the player at any time. News flash Bethesda -- the thing we all hated about the cliff racers wasn't that they weren't tough enough.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LulzSec has your back:
LulzSec is at it again. Today, after much taunting on Twitter, the hacking group has posted online the source code and database passwords of Bethesda Softworks, a subsidiary of gaming company ZeniMax Media.
LulzSec says it has data pertaining to more than 200,000 registered users of the game Brink, but says it held back that information because "we actually like this company and would like for them to speed up the production of Skyrim, so we'll give them one less thing to worry about. You're welcome!"
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

About time. Skyrim will allow you to marry whomever you want..same sex or not.
In response to someone asking if there is same sex marriage in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Pete Hines of Bethesda tweeted the following:

Not hush hush, just not making a huge deal out of it. You can marry anyone.
Finalgenesis

Post by Finalgenesis »

I absolutely hate games designed with console consideration in mind and then port to PC, not to say there aren't successful ports, but it takes aways so much potential of what the game could become when the design have to cater to console limitations.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Daehawk wrote:About time. Skyrim will allow you to marry whomever you want..same sex or not.
In response to someone asking if there is same sex marriage in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Pete Hines of Bethesda tweeted the following:

Not hush hush, just not making a huge deal out of it. You can marry anyone.
I wonder if this will be like Fable, where you can just grab an NPC and marry. Or a Bioware game where there is actually character development involved.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Given the open-ended-ness of Elder Scroll's games, I'd go with "Marry Anyone" - you'd have to get their reputation up enough, get them interested, probably run some dating quests, and then a marriage quest.

What I wonder, though, is if you can make any character in the game "turn" gay for you or if only specific ones are available as predefined "gay" characters. Except Wood Elves. They'd all be gay.
Black Lives Matter

tgb

Post by tgb »

I think this guy is an NPC.

I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

Paingod wrote:Given the open-ended-ness of Elder Scroll's games, I'd go with "Marry Anyone" - you'd have to get their reputation up enough, get them interested, probably run some dating quests, and then a marriage quest.

What I wonder, though, is if you can make any character in the game "turn" gay for you or if only specific ones are available as predefined "gay" characters. Except Wood Elves. They'd all be gay.
It's the post-marriage quests that kill you.
Popehat, a blog.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

tgb wrote:I think this guy is an NPC.

/eyebleach/
He definately looks like a Wood Elf.
Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Some incredible new Skyrim videos. These make me want the game. I have had it in pre order because I love their games but these videos cement that it will rock finally.

LINK to videos
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

Is it the same leveling system and enemy scaling as Oblivion?
silvaril

Post by silvaril »

Heya

Apparently the leveling system has changed, while they have continued tweaking the encounter scaling...
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My new PC Gamer is packed with Skyrim info. Can't wait! Looks great. I need to finish The Witcher 2 first lol. Speaking of which....will Skyrim have any mini games? Something to waste time with or make money with? Sure would be nice.
Orgull

Post by Orgull »

Saw the videos. Want very much to be in love with Skyrim. But I've got a problem.

I was the biggest Bethesda Fanboi for many years. But I didn't like Oblivion. It was pretty but boring, like that hot chick you see at a party and think you'd like to sleep with until you hear her talking about Kim Kardashian as though it's a life-or-death subject and you just go "uuugh!".

I just reinstalled Morrowind and played it for a few hours. What the hell was I smoking when it came out? The combat is beyond atrocious and the gameplay consists of wandering around looking at pretty things and trying not to get killed by assassins. When did the Elder Scrolls games become boring?

Am I going to love Skyrim or is it just going to be another pretty sandbox to wander around in till I get hungry and permanently go make a sandwich?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Orgull wrote:Saw the videos. Want very much to be in love with Skyrim. But I've got a problem.

I was the biggest Bethesda Fanboi for many years. But I didn't like Oblivion. It was pretty but boring, like that hot chick you see at a party and think you'd like to sleep with until you hear her talking about Kim Kardashian as though it's a life-or-death subject and you just go "uuugh!".

I just reinstalled Morrowind and played it for a few hours. What the hell was I smoking when it came out? The combat is beyond atrocious and the gameplay consists of wandering around looking at pretty things and trying not to get killed by assassins. When did the Elder Scrolls games become boring?

Am I going to love Skyrim or is it just going to be another pretty sandbox to wander around in till I get hungry and permanently go make a sandwich?
It isn't the Elder Scrolls that have changed in this equation.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

coopasonic wrote:
Orgull wrote:When did the Elder Scrolls games become boring?
It isn't the Elder Scrolls that have changed in this equation.
Imagination? Does it fade with age? I like to think mine hasn't. I still enjoy these games as sandbox titles where you basically build your own adventure as you go. Where Oblivion slowed down for me was when I actually tried to follow the main storyline (and had basically hit the creature difficulty limit); nothing was a real challenge anymore - BUT - a handful of mods and you're playing a new game again.
Black Lives Matter

Orgull

Post by Orgull »

coopasonic wrote:It isn't the Elder Scrolls that have changed in this equation.
Fair enough. But I still like games. Is it possible as I approach 40 my tastes are completely different now?

Skyrim LOOKS marvelous. But is there a game there? That's the crux of my question.