Good news, everyone! Netflix jacking prices again!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Victoria Raverna

Re: Good news, everyone! Netflix jacking prices again!

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:05 pm Yeah, heard that on the radio today. It sounds reasonable when you hear about the additional slots already being part of the package.
What you mean by that? People that pay for premium can have two members outside the household without paying extra or premium can pay extra for members outside the household up to two?

Is it 20.99 + 7.99 + 7.99 for premium with two members who don't live in their household?

Or 20.99 for premium with two members who don't live in their household?
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

The way I read it was that while no outside slots came with the basic plan, the other plans did at no extra cost, but could add more if they wanted to for an extra fee. That seems like the way to go to me.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Yeah, on the Canadian $16.99 plan or whatever, you can pay $7.99 for one additional household max. And only one person at the secondary address can stream at one time I believe. On the 4K $20+ plan, you can add up to two $7.99 slots, and two people at the secondary address(es) can stream simultaneously.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:38 am The way I read it was that while no outside slots came with the basic plan, the other plans did at no extra cost, but could add more if they wanted to for an extra fee. That seems like the way to go to me.
I read it that only the higher plans had the option of adding extra members. You'll still have to pay for it, though.

My Dad uses my login, so I'll probably end up paying to make sure he can continue to use it. Paying $25+ a month for Netflix is going to suck. The only way it makes sense is because I use Dad's cable login to get HBO and access to various other channels/apps. Mainly ESPN/FOX/NBC during football season.

There's no way in hell Netflix is worth that cost by itself though.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

msteelers wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:07 pm
Rumpy wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:38 am The way I read it was that while no outside slots came with the basic plan, the other plans did at no extra cost, but could add more if they wanted to for an extra fee. That seems like the way to go to me.
I read it that only the higher plans had the option of adding extra members. You'll still have to pay for it, though.

My Dad uses my login, so I'll probably end up paying to make sure he can continue to use it. Paying $25+ a month for Netflix is going to suck. The only way it makes sense is because I use Dad's cable login to get HBO and access to various other channels/apps. Mainly ESPN/FOX/NBC during football season.

There's no way in hell Netflix is worth that cost by itself though.
Yeah, on second thought, it seems like the $7.99 was to unlock the extra slots, with standard unlocking one slot, and premium unlocking two. Or is it $7.99 for each individual slot? It's confusingly worded.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:56 pmYeah, on second thought, it seems like the $7.99 was to unlock the extra slots, with standard unlocking one slot, and premium unlocking two. Or is it $7.99 for each individual slot? It's confusingly worded.
It said "each" so I'm thinking it's $7.99 per slot.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Right, but it's also just as easy to think the 'each' was referring to the standard and premium plans themselves.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Netflix hikes prices again
The streaming giant said in its third-quarter earnings report that its premium ad-free plan in the United States will increase by $3 per month, to $22.99, starting Wednesday. Its one-stream basic plan will rise to $11.99 in the United States. All other plans, including its entry-level, $6.99-a-month ad-supported tier, will remain at the same monthly cost.

Netflix also announced price increases for some subscription tiers in the United Kingdom and France.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

More on the price increase:
The "steady programming" and "variety and quality" Netflix cites as key to its success in its Q3 results are likely going to cost Netflix a good deal more in the coming year, which may have precipitated going ahead with a price hike before the year was out.

Netflix, along with other streaming services, will soon have to share performance metrics with writers as part of their new contracts with the Writers Guild of America, as well as increase residual payments to writers. While the outcome of the SAG-AFTRA actors' strike is unknown, Netflix CFO Spencer Adam Neumann said on an earnings call last quarter that the writers' and actors' strikes might add "lumpiness" to Netflix's cash flow in 2024.

Netflix is also facing cost pressure from competitors that both make content and now have their own streaming services. Companies like Max (or HBO, as most people still call it) license shows like Ballers and Six Feet Under to Netflix, generating both revenue and new audiences while still keeping a few marquee shows for their own offerings. Despite its numerous original offerings, Suits, a USA network show, is one of its biggest recent hits.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I still get way more value out of Netflix than I do out of cable, which I am also paying for, but 5-6x as much as the new Netflix costs.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I probably use Netflix less than Disney Plus, Hulu and Max, so this increase will probably get me to cancel. It's getting to the point where I can't justify keeping all of them. Especially if Netflix is the most expensive and least watched.
FTE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm the exact opposite. Netflix and Hulu (and Shudder to a lesser extent) make up about 80 percent of my viewing habit. I reduced Max recently to the ad sponsored level and it's been fine. Disney I watch maybe 3 or 4 hours a month at most...and only if there's a new Star Wars or Marvel show. But I get that bundled with my Hulu for less than 3 bucks a month.
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My family watches it enough to justify continuing to pay for it, but it's still REALLY annoying. They're by far the most expensive streaming service I subscribe to and I seriously question whether their content is worth the premium price they slap on it. I mean I have Disney over here giving me new Star Wars and Marvel content, and on the other side I've got Netflix giving me another season of Love is Blind. :?
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Scraper wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:28 pm I probably use Netflix less than Disney Plus, Hulu and Max, so this increase will probably get me to cancel. It's getting to the point where I can't justify keeping all of them. Especially if Netflix is the most expensive and least watched.
Yeah this will be enough to get me to cancel Netflix for now. We'll be back when they release something we want to watch but it's by far the least-watched service for us and I personally haven't watched anything since the most recent season of Stranger Things.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Exodor wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:39 pm
Scraper wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:28 pm I probably use Netflix less than Disney Plus, Hulu and Max, so this increase will probably get me to cancel. It's getting to the point where I can't justify keeping all of them. Especially if Netflix is the most expensive and least watched.
Yeah this will be enough to get me to cancel Netflix for now. We'll be back when they release something we want to watch but it's by far the least-watched service for us and I personally haven't watched anything since the most recent season of Stranger Things.
If you liked 24 or The Bodyguard (British), check out Night Agent before you go!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

There really is so much good stuff on Neflix (and a lot of crap), but I'm constantly feeling overwhelmed with new content coming (on all the various subscription services) and I can't keep up. I even keep lists at my desk to try and remember and still get overwhelmed.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What I've come to appreciate about Netflix is their foreign tv and movie collection. I've discovered so many great shows that I normally would never have come across if it weren't for showing up on Netflix.
He won. Period.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

We have been culling back as of late. Max we subscribed through Hulu and 16 bucks a month is a bit much. For some reason it's been a month and Max still works even though I'm not paying for it. Methinks Hulu didn't pass on that I cancelled. I had a deal on my CC that if I spent 100 on Max I would get 25 back. I was going to do that, but as it's not cancelled I can't. Whatevers... 75 would be 6.25 a month which hells ya.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:19 pm What I've come to appreciate about Netflix is their foreign tv and movie collection. I've discovered so many great shows that I normally would never have come across if it weren't for showing up on Netflix.
It's great for language learning. There are plugins that'll pull in native subtitles from the native language and has me locked into the platform.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:51 pm I still get way more value out of Netflix than I do out of cable, which I am also paying for, but 5-6x as much as the new Netflix costs.
Same here. Still the most convenient. And that could be because overall, Canada has less choice in the Streaming area.
hepcat wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:19 pm What I've come to appreciate about Netflix is their foreign tv and movie collection. I've discovered so many great shows that I normally would never have come across if it weren't for showing up on Netflix.
Absolutely. Netflix is a goldmine of foreign releases. And sometimes even they'll have good dubbing. Just a few weeks ago, we watched a really good Polish movie about a Doctor with amnesia who can't remember who he is, but keeps doing good deeds as a healer. We watched it in English and the dub they had was actually very good. I believe dubbing is something that is continually being improved upon.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

malchior wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:36 pm
It's great for language learning. There are plugins that'll pull in native subtitles from the native language and has me locked into the platform.
Ya the kiddo does this. I'm always freaking turning off subtitles everywhere. :x
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I can't watch a foreign language show dubbed. I find it too distracting. I always go with subtitles.

Also, none of us here would have been exposed to the greatness of RRR without Netflix. :D
He won. Period.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

RRR was flipping amazing. I really need to track down more movies like that.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:14 pm I can't watch a foreign language show dubbed. I find it too distracting. I always go with subtitles.

Also, none of us here would have been exposed to the greatness of RRR without Netflix. :D
For me it entirely depends on the production. Sometimes they speak so fast and the subtitles disappear before I'm able to read them. Some productions have some great dubs that are completely natural sounding and not distracting. Bad dubs all sound like they've been recorded in a bathroom.
stessier wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:45 pm
If you liked 24 or The Bodyguard (British), check out Night Agent before you go!

Oh man, The Night Agent was amazing. The Diplomat got all the attention, but I feel The Night Agent was even better IMHO.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti