Good news, everyone! Netflix jacking prices again!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Freezer-TPF-

Re: Good news, everyone! Netflix jacking prices again!

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Holy reset button, Batman!
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

This is what happens when you make big decision while drunk in the middle of the night.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I demand another apology.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
WPD

Post by WPD »

Dear subscribers.

Sorry about that Qwikster thing, that was dumb? To show you we're sorry we have introduced a new service called Qwikster+! Everything you loved about Qwikster is here, as well as a hyperlink to the Netflix website! We will be adding $5 a month for this new and improved service. Ya'll can suck it.

CEO out.
Later ya'll.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

While I think this is a good move for customers, if I were an investor, I'd be having some serious questions about whether the management team at Netflix is up to the job. This isn't the first time they've made some big, sweeping announcement and then had to backpedal when the (predictable) uproar happened. If they can reverse something as big as splitting the physical discs and creating a new business entity due to public outcry, it means that either they're playing us for chumps, there was never a solid reason for doing it, or they're too insecure to see through a tough business decision that needed to be made.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

And another email apology. Just STFU already. We aren't pen pals Netflix...less talky, more streamy, mm k?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

naednek wrote:So does that mean, no video games?
UPDATE: They've officially said "We're not sure"
Maybe next year, maybe no go
naednek

Post by naednek »

Smoove_B wrote:
naednek wrote:So does that mean, no video games?
UPDATE: They've officially said "We're not sure"

well, at least they are sticking with that theme...
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The news stated Netflix lost more customers than they thought they would ...80,000. They expected 60,000. So they expected to lose 60k and yet they did it anyways?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
stessier

Post by stessier »

Daehawk wrote:The news stated Netflix lost more customers than they thought they would ...80,000. They expected 60,000. So they expected to lose 60k and yet they did it anyways?
Don't they have 20 million? They move to a business model they believe is sustainable going forward from one that was not and lose less than 0.5 % of their customers. Seems like a good deal.

(I actually thought I read they lost about 1 million customers and even at that it is a good deal.)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Yeah Daehawk must have dropped a zero, they reported a loss of 800,000 not 80,000. They have lost over 1 million though because that number doesnt include over 200,000 lost prior to the 3rd quarter but after their announcement of changes. Thats around a 5% loss which at an average of $10 per month is a reduction in income of 120 million annually. Not exactly chump change.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

In other news, NFLX has opened down 35% this morning. As I wrote this, it sits at $77, which is down from yesterday's close of $118.84. And it's falling.
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Down 75% from July's highs, still a hefty 17 times forward P/E.

In their report today, they said they lost 800K subscribers in the quarter and projected a loss for the next few quarters, mostly due to expansion in the UK/Ireland.

Basically though, content contracts are crushing it.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LawBeefaroni wrote:content contracts are crushing it.
Yup. Nothing they can do probably, or they would (have).
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Everyone wants either a bigger piece of the golden goose or is trying to Frankenstein their own together at the home office.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Netflix DVD service may be getting another big reduction in value.

The USPS says it is planning to change first-class mail delivery from the current 1-3 days to 2-5 days.

Right now, I can turn DVDs around twice a week most of the time, meaning my Netflix fee pays for three movies a week. With this, that could be halved. Right now, if I want a movie to be here to watch with my kids on Saturday, I need to send one back on Wednesday. Now I'll need to send it on Monday.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Odin

Post by Odin »

Hadn't thought about that. Yeah, that's a big hit for Netflix DVD. Another nail in the coffin for that mode of service unless they come up with some alternative means of delivery. The only good news is that it doesn't take effect until the Spring.
funnygirl

Post by funnygirl »

Something else I just recently noticed. Movies that are being released tomorrow on Blu-ray are still sitting in my saved queue as release date "unknown." Since most of the movies I get are older movies and tv series, I never added Blu-ray, even though I do have a Blu-ray player. It just wasn't worth the extra $4.00 a month. But now I'm wondering if there will be a further lag time for the non Blu-ray versions. And how long it will be before they don't come out in non Blu-ray at all.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote:Netflix DVD service may be getting another big reduction in value.

The USPS says it is planning to change first-class mail delivery from the current 1-3 days to 2-5 days.

Right now, I can turn DVDs around twice a week most of the time, meaning my Netflix fee pays for three movies a week. With this, that could be halved. Right now, if I want a movie to be here to watch with my kids on Saturday, I need to send one back on Wednesday. Now I'll need to send it on Monday.
Depends what your typical time currently is. If you're around 2-3 days right now, it might stay at 2-3 days.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:Netflix DVD service may be getting another big reduction in value.

Depends what your typical time currently is. If you're around 2-3 days right now, it might stay at 2-3 days.
Yeah, the story I read said that 1-day delivery is going away, but virtually all first class mail will still arrive in 2-3 days. On the 3-out plan that won't make a noticeable difference.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

To answer your Random Randomness post, Kraken, they are looking at closing offices, including cuts at other locations such as the Dallas main, possibly even closing it.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

funnygirl wrote:Something else I just recently noticed. Movies that are being released tomorrow on Blu-ray are still sitting in my saved queue as release date "unknown." Since most of the movies I get are older movies and tv series, I never added Blu-ray, even though I do have a Blu-ray player. It just wasn't worth the extra $4.00 a month. But now I'm wondering if there will be a further lag time for the non Blu-ray versions. And how long it will be before they don't come out in non Blu-ray at all.
New releases all come out one month later on Netflix than they do in stores.
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

Kraken wrote:Yeah, the story I read said that 1-day delivery is going away, but virtually all first class mail will still arrive in 2-3 days. On the 3-out plan that won't make a noticeable difference.
That would suck for us. If we return a DVD on Monday, it arrives at Netflix Tuesday morning and we get our next DVD shipped that same day, which arrives back to us on Wednesday. Now we wouldn't get DVDs back to us until Friday.

Redbox is looking better and better.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh, I doubt it'll be a huge deal, depending on where you live, but it is definitely another chink in Netflix's armor. If mine slow down too much, I'll likely drop one DVD from my plan and stop using Netflix for series.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Boudreaux wrote:
Kraken wrote:Yeah, the story I read said that 1-day delivery is going away, but virtually all first class mail will still arrive in 2-3 days. On the 3-out plan that won't make a noticeable difference.
That would suck for us. If we return a DVD on Monday, it arrives at Netflix Tuesday morning and we get our next DVD shipped that same day, which arrives back to us on Wednesday. Now we wouldn't get DVDs back to us until Friday.

It will only be noticeable when we watch all 3 disks in quick succession...which we don't do very often. As long as I always have one unwatched DVD on deck, I'm content.

Businesses most likely to suffer from losing next-day delivery include pharmacies that serve rural areas and newspapers mailed to remote subscribers. And yes, netflix subscribers on the 1-out plan.
theohall

Post by theohall »

Boudreaux wrote:

Redbox still doesn't have 1/10th of the selection Netflix provides - which is why Redbox is not an option for me.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The Redbox by us almost never has anything worth getting. It's pretty much cleaned out of titles unless you go on a Monday or Tuesday.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Octavious wrote:The Redbox by us almost never has anything worth getting. It's pretty much cleaned out of titles unless you go on a Monday or Tuesday.
Do you reserve your titles beforehand online? If I do it in the late morning after most people have dropped of things they watched the night before, I can usually get the latest releases I want even on a Friday.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

If the US Mail slows down the service I'll probably drop Netflix.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
stessier

Post by stessier »

HBO is no longer providing DVDs to Netflix as of 1/1/2012.

I'm not a user, so I don't know how big of a deal that is, but thought I'd pass it along.

That link it the entire story by the way - no real need to click through.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Well, the link is misleading. HBO is no longer providing DVDs to Netflix. Netflix will still acquire HBO DVDs. It's not like HBO has any control over whether Netflix can offer their content via DVD (thankfully).
Odin

Post by Odin »

I noticed that on 1/1 a whole bunch of stuff in my queue expired. Most notably, the TV series Jeremiah which I was only about 1/3 of the way through. :x

My kids are no longer addicted to Futurama, but rather The Simpsons (which isn't on InstantWatch) and the number of movies on there that my wife and I want to watch is REALLY small. I'm having a hard time justifying keeping it active, and am likely going to cancel at the end of January unless something changes. My DVD collection is too extensive and our appetite for movies is too small to justify the extra cost, especially when they yank stuff I'm only partway through. I have no idea when the warning went up on Jeremiah, but I only saw it on 12/30 and there was just no way to finish it before it disappeared. An email saying "The following items in your queue are going to expire on 1/1" would have been really nice, especially if it came a couple of weeks beforehand.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Odin wrote:An email saying "The following items in your queue are going to expire on 1/1" would have been really nice, especially if it came a couple of weeks beforehand.
Yeah, that's one thing I think Netflix could do a much better job of. You'd think it'd be a simple thing for them to set up notices for content that you've partially watched which will expire in < X days.

In other partially-related news, this past weekend we bit the bullet and killed our cable TV subscription. We're now totally antenna + Netflix streaming + Hulu Plus, and the only significant hole I'm dealing with is the loss of ESPN. Savings are around $28/mo even after adding Hulu Plus.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Zaxxon wrote:
Odin wrote:the only significant hole I'm dealing with is the loss of ESPN.
I wish there was a way I could send you my ESPN. I literally NEVER use it. In fact, I think I get 10-20 ESPN-branded stations, and I've told my TiVo to pretend they don't exist so as not to accidentally record something off them and fill up my suggestions with sports crap.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Odin wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:
Odin wrote:the only significant hole I'm dealing with is the loss of ESPN.
I wish there was a way I could send you my ESPN. I literally NEVER use it. In fact, I think I get 10-20 ESPN-branded stations, and I've told my TiVo to pretend they don't exist so as not to accidentally record something off them and fill up my suggestions with sports crap.
Appreciate the sentiment!
Isgrimnur

Good news, everyone! Netflix jacking prices again!

Post by Isgrimnur »

I recently read an article that there are lower priced plans that are ESPN-less, but they never advertised because companies hate selling them. I'll try to remember to run it down, but I'm still in post code cut madness.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Zaxxon wrote:the only significant hole I'm dealing with is the loss of ESPN.
If you have Xbox Live gold and a 360, you can get ESPN 360. Lots of live events on there to go with the taped ones, it's been great for college football, tennis and soccer.

If you're missing Sportscenter and their other original shows, it won't help much though. I've never been a Sportscenter/ESPN culture person so it's enough for me.

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm thinking more along the lines of MNF. Apparently my ESPN3 still works, though.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Zaxxon wrote:I'm thinking more along the lines of MNF. Apparently my ESPN3 still works, though.

Yep! I keep waiting for them to close that loophole, but ive had ESPN3 without cable tv for at least two years now. Unfortunately, MNF is not available on ESPN3.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote:I recently read an article that there are lower priced plans that are ESPN-less, but they never advertised because companies hate selling them. I'll try to remember to run it down, but I'm still in post code cut madness.
Found it:
To stanch the bleeding, some cable companies have begun to quietly offer stripped-down plans to retain viewers. They frequently go unadvertised in many regions and customers might have to hunt for them on providers' websites to find out exactly what to ask for.

Comcast, for example, has a "digital economy" tier that sells for between $29.99 and $39.99, depending on the area. The next tier up in service Comcast offers, which includes ESPN, often sells for around $58 a month.

The digital economy tier includes local broadcast channels, as well as popular cable channels, such as USA, Lifetime, but no ESPN. The company says it will work with customers to find a package to fit their needs.

Time Warner Cable late last year introduced a "TV Essentials" package in the same vein. It can cost as much as $49.99 but the company also offers promotional rates as low as $29.99 a month. It includes broadcast channels as well as 38 additional channels, but not ESPN.
Some cable operators and DirecTV also offer a family packages, which usually cost $30 to $40, and give households all the broadcast channels as well limited cable channels such as the Disney Channel and Food Network.
Other subscribers are dumping bulky packages of 190 channels or more in favor of the most basic service—often known as the "Lifeline" tier in the industry. These usually include public broadcast stations and the handful of over-the-air channels, and usually cost $13 to $16, compared to the $40 to $60 it usually costs to get the more widely-distributed level of digital cable service, which includes ESPN, MTV, TNT and other basic cable channels.