Good news, everyone! Netflix jacking prices again!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

dbt1949

Re: Good news, everyone! Netflix jacking prices again!

Post by dbt1949 »

That Tubi looks really good.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:55 am https://www.tcm.com/watchtcm/films
I wish I could use that (TCM is one of the reasons I still have a cable subscription), but my cable provider isn't "participating"...
dbt1949 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:59 am That Tubi looks really good.
I like Tubi a lot. They've got a pretty good mix of old movies and TV shows.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:56 am
dbt1949 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:28 am I just dropped them again. I'd been with them this time about one month. I binge watched every day but once again it boiled down to not having a very good selection of movies. I wanted to see old movies like from the thirties and forties of which they have about six. Like two Clint Eastwood movies. One cowboy movie before 1980. every time I'd search for a favorite actor of mine I would maybe two or three choices. No Batman series. Saw all the TV series' that I was interested in.
<sigh>
Batman, like everything DC-comics that wasn't already under contract elsewhere, is on HBO Max. HBO/Warner owns DC.
but if you wanted Adam West Batman, you can get that Saturday nights on MeTV (over the air, if your market has it)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:59 am That Tubi looks really good.
That and Freevee (rebranded IMDB-TV) now make up most of the content Amazon Prime is pushing as free to me. They are free to everyone...ads during movies, but as far as I can tell, no censorship. There's another...Zuma or something like that I think, that is rather more abrupt when it comes to inserting ads.

Whether they have to movies of your slightly younger days, I don't really know. My son is into ancient Disney stuff...like the 1930's, and he finds it on YouTube. Could be much of what you are looking for is in Public Domain?
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Freevee has a surprisingly large library of good stuff. Tubi is also really good for foreign films.
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:56 pm Freevee has a surprisingly large library of good stuff. Tubi is also really good for foreign films.
I've no problem with either of them so long as they don't nerf the movies. And it seems they don't. My only complaint is that my Fire Stick (used currently in the quarantine bedroom) tends to abort the movie several times during the course of its play. This doesn't happen -- at least as much -- with the Fire box I have on my main TV.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Try clearing the cache on the apps you’re having issues with.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Amazon Video never has anything I look up to watch. i9ts always buy only. Weird that.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:43 pm Amazon Video never has anything I look up to watch.

I also just did a search for “bikini clad Swedish models fighting other bikini clad Swedish models with no dialogue” and there were about 4 available. :?
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:43 pm Amazon Video never has anything I look up to watch. i9ts always buy only. Weird that.
Yeah, it pisses me off how their platform now almost invisibly integrates free streaming options with purchasable ones. It's extremely shitty.

I use Justwatch.com to figure out whether something I want to see is streaming anywhere, but I'm sure you're already using something like that.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

No I dont watch enough of anything to count.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sudy wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:28 pm
Daehawk wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:43 pm Amazon Video never has anything I look up to watch. i9ts always buy only. Weird that.
Yeah, it pisses me off how their platform now almost invisibly integrates free streaming options with purchasable ones. It's extremely shitty.

I use Justwatch.com to figure out whether something I want to see is streaming anywhere, but I'm sure you're already using something like that.
Thank you for that link! Its just showed me all the places to watch The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai and even 2 that were free.

I was so lucky to be a teen in the 80s. SO many great movies they just dont do anymore. The in the 90s in my 20s there were so many amazing TV shows.

EDIT: Oh hell ya...after Buckaroo they have Robot Jox...Im young again woooo.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Just FYI, I got an email from "Netflix Surveys" yesterday and it doesn't say it n the email, but it has a short survey about what digital entertainment services you use and if, based on the initial responses, you qualify you get an extended survey and if you do that they credit your account with a free month. The extended survey is pretty long, just as a warning, but I'll spend 15 minutes on a survey for a free month.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Sudy wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:28 pm
There was an "Amazon Original" series that my daughter loved when she was younger and wanted to show her brother yesterday. We went to watch and it was "unavailable." Conveniently, a different SKU was available for $30. Yeah, no.

(Ronja the Robber's Daughter, for reference)
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Heh...I remember reading the book when I was a kid. Didn't know they made an anime out of it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

$20.99 on Vudu is the best I can find. Or you can get the Bluray for $30.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
naednek

Post by naednek »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:47 pm
Daehawk wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:43 pm Amazon Video never has anything I look up to watch.

I also just did a search for “bikini clad Swedish models fighting other bikini clad Swedish models with no dialogue” and there were about 4 available. :?
I'm a little late, but this had me laughing :D
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Try doing a deep dive on Amazon Primes video offerings. You'll feel the need to shower afterwards, I warn you.
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

hepcat wrote:Try doing a deep dive on Amazon Primes video offerings. You'll feel the need to shower afterwards, I warn you.
Before you grab that shower, you may want to go take a gander at TubiTV's offerings as well. My buddy and I have a running challenge where every week we pick a movie from Tubi that the other has to watch. :twisted:
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Amazon owns the MGM library now, so at some point all that content is going to be available on Amazon Prime, although I'd expect that they need to wait for current licence agreements to expire before they can consolidate it all under their own service (similar to how it took some time before Disney was able to move the Netflix Marvel shows over to Disney+).
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

As long as they don't lose The VelociPastor
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

There was one dinosaur movie that I swear was just plastic kids toys being moved around. Nice grammar school film project -- but a feature for Prime?
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I don’t think the vast majority of films in their library are made for Prime…or even “features”. They’re usually low budget stuff someone convinced someone at Amazon to stream.

EXCEPT for The VelociPastor. That one’s a goddamn national treasure.
He won. Period.
naednek

Post by naednek »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:46 pm Try doing a deep dive on Amazon Primes video offerings. You'll feel the need to shower afterwards, I warn you.
I was more laughing that you knew Daehawk too well
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Netflix seems to be more and more specializing in TV series as movies are being promised to other streaming services. That's the reason I quit and I suspect many others too. I want movies not TV.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Netflix is weak on flix, for sure. But recently I've come to value mini-series at least as much as movies. Six or eight or even 10 hours is a good amount of time for a complete story. You wouldn't watch an eight-hour movie, but that's what some of these mini-series amount to...just broken into one-hour chapters.

And I think you'd really like Ozark, although it's not a mini-series.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I live it.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

naednek wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:59 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:46 pm Try doing a deep dive on Amazon Primes video offerings. You'll feel the need to shower afterwards, I warn you.
I was more laughing that you knew Daehawk too well
Oh, I know. :D
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I did that a few years ago - decided to see exactly what was being offered on Prime Video. I was hoping for some good non-pop documentaries. That... experience is one of the main reasons that Prime Video is the last site I go to when looking for something to watch.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:07 pm Netflix seems to be more and more specializing in TV series as movies are being promised to other streaming services. That's the reason I quit and I suspect many others too. I want movies not TV.
I am 100% the opposite. I almost never watch movies any more.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:45 am
dbt1949 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:07 pm Netflix seems to be more and more specializing in TV series as movies are being promised to other streaming services. That's the reason I quit and I suspect many others too. I want movies not TV.
This is me, mostly because I'm rarely wanting to be tied up for the length of a full feature. Now and then I'll sit down just to watch a film, but mostly I want something that I can watch during dinner, after which I'll be free to get back to whatever I was doing before. Lately, though, I've hit a snag: newer shows pushing the 60-90 minute window. It makes every episode a movie-sized commitment.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:29 am
coopasonic wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:45 am
This is me, mostly because I'm rarely wanting to be tied up for the length of a full feature. Now and then I'll sit down just to watch a film, but mostly I want something that I can watch during dinner, after which I'll be free to get back to whatever I was doing before. Lately, though, I've hit a snag: newer shows pushing the 60-90 minute window. It makes every episode a movie-sized commitment.
My wife and I watch TV together before bed. She gets up for work at like stessier time (4:30am). Some nights we'll only get 40-50 minutes of TV watching in. The last episode of this latest season of strangers things took us 4 nights to watch.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:56 am The last episode of this latest season of strangers things took us 4 nights to watch.
So you're doing hepcat's Amazon Prime Deep Dive watchlist?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Dear God, man! I don't make a watchlist of that stuff! Do you WANT the FBI to show up at my place asking why I'm watching films about sentient thongs that try to take over all the shopping malls in Idaho or whatever?
He won. Period.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I just read an article that said that Netflix has video games to play. Has anybody ever looked into this? Or even knew about?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

They've invested heavily in games over the last 6 months or so. But being that I hardly ever use Netflix via a mobile device, it's a side that I hardly get to see. You have to scroll way down to see them, and you kind of have to know they're there. The weird thing is Netflix doesn't really promote them, so they kind of just sit there.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm interpreting this thread to be news about Netflix as a service, so I'm sharing here:
Netflix has estimated that over 100 million users worldwide are using the service through the login credentials of someone else. It hopes that by putting an end to account sharing, it will bring a new infusion of revenue to the company. It’s essentially the only way that Netflix can make meaningful subscriber additions in North America, where the service currently sees its highest share of market penetration.

The Netflix Help Center now has a page outlining how your account should be shared, and how it shouldn’t. Check below for all the details you’ll need regarding sharing a password on Netflix.

Who Can Use a Netflix Account Now?

Netflix accounts are still shareable, but only within one household. To ensure that your devices are associated with your primary location, Netflix is now asking users to connect to the Wi-Fi at your primary location, open the Netflix app or website, and watch something at least once every 31 days.

How Can You Prevent Netflix from Blocking Your Devices?

Signing into home Wi-Fi at least once every 31 days on your devices will make them “trusted devices,” which Netflix will remember and leave unblocked.

If your device has been blocked incorrectly, you’ll need to contact Netflix in order to get it unblocked.

How Will Netflix Know if You’re Not in Your Home/Primary Location?

Netflix uses information such as IP addresses, device IDs, and account activity to determine whether a device signed into your account is connected at your primary location.

If your device is being used outside your home by someone you haven’t authorized, you can sign into your account and sign out on all other devices, then change your password.
Good luck Nextflix support staff. You're going to need it.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

So when my daughter goes to my mother's house for a 'Gramma Sleep Over' - can she still use her profile on my Netflix account, even though it is on another router in another town?

And to that point, I suppose letting my mother use our account is exactly what they want to stop. Or for a parent to let their kid in college still use the family Netflix account? This will not go well.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

So...I haven't used my phone to watch Netflix in a very long time but if I don't open Netflix on it within their 31 day window it's going to be blocked? And I'm going to have to talk with Netflix to unlock it? Ummm fuck that shit.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?