Good news, everyone! Netflix jacking prices again!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Good news, everyone! Netflix jacking prices again!

Post by Isgrimnur »

Mashable
The streaming video service will be raising prices on its middle and top tier plans in the U.S. starting in November. Subscribers who currently pay for the standard $9.99 service will be charged $10.99. The price of the premium tier will rise from $11.99 to $13.99.

Good news for people on the basic $7.99 plan—that price is staying put, for now.

The U.S.-only price hikes will begin to go into effect in November, varying depending on individuals' billing cycles. Starting on Oct. 19, subscribers will be notified and given at least 30 days notice about the increase.
Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Never a fan of price increases, but given the fact that Netflix (along with Hulu and Amazon) allowed me to give up a $180 a month cable bill, I can live with it.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Damn 4k! I should have stuck with HD and I never would have known any better.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Z-Corn wrote:Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo is expiring and you guys are joking about Troll movies!?
Did I miss this?
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote:
Z-Corn wrote:Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo is expiring and you guys are joking about Troll movies!?
Did I miss this?
It's available through Amazon/Starz.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hey me and my friends liked that movie in the 80s. Watched it many times.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

The middle price in Canada has just went up to 10.99.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

hepcat wrote:
Did I miss this?
It was in my newsletter that month! Are you not subscribed!?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Just got my notification of the increase. whoo...
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Not sure what they mean by "standard" and "premium" - when I look at our account, we have the "2 screens + HD" plan, which is still $9.99, and there's a 4-screen plan for $13.99. We also pay $7.99 for 1 DVD rental (quite a bit of stuff we want to see isn't available to stream).
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:14 pm Mashable
The streaming video service will be raising prices on its middle and top tier plans in the U.S. starting in November. Subscribers who currently pay for the standard $9.99 service will be charged $10.99. The price of the premium tier will rise from $11.99 to $13.99.
Enlarge Image
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

gilraen wrote:Not sure what they mean by "standard" and "premium" - when I look at our account, we have the "2 screens + HD" plan, which is still $9.99, and there's a 4-screen plan for $13.99. We also pay $7.99 for 1 DVD rental (quite a bit of stuff we want to see isn't available to stream).
4k and HDR
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Jacking inbound:
Netflix is raising its prices again, and the news is sending the company's stock up more than 6 percent in early trading Tuesday.

Netflix's cheapest basic plan will cost $9, up from $8; its most popular HD standard plan will cost $13, up from $11; and its 4K premium plan will cost $16, up from $14.

The rate hikes constitute a jump of between 13 and 18 percent — the company's biggest increase since launching its streaming service 12 years ago — and will take effect immediately for new customers. Existing subscribers will see the price increase on their bills over the next three months.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Well, someone has to pay so Netflix can hand Michael Bay $150 million to make a movie.
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Still an amazing deal in my opinion.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Don't say that. I literally just ordered an antenna yesterday to advance my intent to "cut the cord" and Netflix is supposed to be part of the cord cutting plan.

(I've yet to study what I need. First I want to make sure OTA TV works, then I'll make the plan, as modern living would see me bounce off the walls if I had no TV and not Internet for two weeks because a new service doesn't launch promptly after I kill what I have now. I really am locked in to a world of after work electronic "company". Which reminds me, I need to grab my GOG games before I cut the cord as well, as Steam games are (for me) unpredictably unreliable when I have no internet.)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm not sure I understand why you're losing internet if you're cutting the cord? Internet access is requirement number one for doing so. :?
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As someone that joined Hulu for the $0.99 Black Friday deal, the "limited commercials" are annoying as hell. I'm ok with Netflix bumping the subscription price a bit as long as I'm not forced to watch another commercial about something I'd never purchase.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:02 pm I'm not sure I understand why you're losing internet if you're cutting the cord? Internet access is requirement number one for doing so. :?
When I cut the cord I will be cutting my provider. My provider has crappy Internet and expensive crappy Internet to boot. If I am going to engage the idea of streaming then I have to upgrade from crappy to occasionally unreliable. I will shamefully be going back to ComCast after two decades of being ComCast free but I still have a clear memory of how ComCast customer service works. I have to brace myself for neither Comcast nor WOW having any regard for my schedule or my timing for switching from one provider to another.
stessier

Post by stessier »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:11 pm
hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:02 pm I'm not sure I understand why you're losing internet if you're cutting the cord? Internet access is requirement number one for doing so. :?
When I cut the cord I will be cutting my provider. My provider has crappy Internet and expensive crappy Internet to boot. If I am going to engage the idea of streaming then I have to upgrade from crappy to occasionally unreliable. I will shamefully be going back to ComCast after two decades of being ComCast free but I still have a clear memory of how ComCast customer service works. I have to brace myself for neither Comcast nor WOW having any regard for my schedule or my timing for switching from one provider to another.
Okay, but Netflix going up $2 should still save you a ton of money over cable. All but the most expensive plan is still less than an HBO subscription and Netflix has waaaaaay more content.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah, got it. That makes more sense.

I've been with RCN in Chicago for years for internet and love their service and speed. I'm not sure if they're in your area. May be worth checking though.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I know I'm being slow-boiled like a frog, but I don't care either. We were paying around $140/month for cable (I subtracted internet). That was with a standard digital tier, no pay channels.

Between Prime, Hulu (no ads), and Netflix I'm paying roughly $35/month for more content than I could possibly ever consume. It's even more of a gap when you consider I was paying for Netflix and Prime even while I had cable.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And Shudder Channel. Don't forget Shudder Channel. :D
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah Shudder is just gravy. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop on that one. I don't know what their subscriber base is, but it was enough to crash servers during the first Joe Bob special. It's got to be just a matter of time before they realize they can charge more than $5 a month.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:35 pm Ah, got it. That makes more sense.

I've been with RCN in Chicago for years for internet and love their service and speed. I'm not sure if they're in your area. May be worth checking though.
I was going to dump ATT for RCN but my neighbor said they sucked (well below advertised speed) so I didn't. I may reconsider.

ATT fiber is available about 100 yards away. But no closer.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Your neighbor may be using an older cable modem that limits his top speed. I'm paying for 330 but routinely get slightly higher speeds.

Covfefe!
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:07 pm As someone that joined Hulu for the $0.99 Black Friday deal, the "limited commercials" are annoying as hell. I'm ok with Netflix bumping the subscription price a bit as long as I'm not forced to watch another commercial about something I'd never purchase.

They are, aren't they. Sheesh. Especially when they repeat the same one over and over and over. Crazy making!
-mf
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Every time I subscribe to Hulu for a month to catch up on something, it reminds me of how much better Netflix is. I don't think that's their intention, but they sure do it well.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:52 pm Your neighbor may be using an older cable modem that limits his top speed. I'm paying for 330 but routinely get slightly higher speeds.

Are you using their modem or did you buy your own?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I use my own because I don't like paying monthly for the crappy one they usually give you. Plus, since it's crappy, you sometimes get a cable modem with DOCSIS 2.0 or something. Thus resulting in being limited to way less speed than you pay for.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:33 pm Jacking inbound:
Netflix is raising its prices again, and the news is sending the company's stock up more than 6 percent in early trading Tuesday.

Netflix's cheapest basic plan will cost $9, up from $8; its most popular HD standard plan will cost $13, up from $11; and its 4K premium plan will cost $16, up from $14.

The rate hikes constitute a jump of between 13 and 18 percent — the company's biggest increase since launching its streaming service 12 years ago — and will take effect immediately for new customers. Existing subscribers will see the price increase on their bills over the next three months.
Recently got my notification.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

It seems like there's far less on Netflix these days, especially on the Canadian version. It feels very lean right now and I see things reappearing much more quickly than they have in the past.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Netflix is losing a lot of current content and 'big name' shows and films. What I would really love to see them do, and it's something that is lacking from other streaming networks, is to build a big library of older content. Get the streaming rights to popular shows and sitcoms from the 60s through the 90s. Put together a collection of classic films and musicals. That would be a big draw, and something that would make them a little more unique. Combine that with originals and what licenses they manage to hold on to.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

All those old shows usually have rights controlled by the Big Three networks.

CBS - All Access
NBC - Owned by Comcast, part owner of Hulu
ABC - Owned by Disney, the other owner of Hulu and launching Disney+

It's why Netflix is throwing money at their own content creation and acquisition.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

I suspect a significant number of Netflix customers may well jump ship to the Disney Plus service after it launches in November. From what I've heard, Netflix content for children in particular is already a fairly weak area for them. So it'll be interesting to see how Netflix responds to the increased competition from the Disney/Fox/Marvel Studios behemoth.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

As an aside, I hate the browsing options. On Hulu I can can click 'TV' and have categories such as 'Staff Picks', '90s Family Comedy', and 'Binge from the Beginning.' It's completely useless for actually finding shows. Where do I click for classic sitcoms from the 80s, or 60s westerns, or 90s adventure shows? Why can't I click Browse, put check marks in 'TV', 'Drama', and put in '1965-1975'? Prime streaming, for all the search options Amazon has for stores, is even worse.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:31 pmFrom what I've heard, Netflix content for children in particular is already a fairly weak area for them.
Really? It seems to me that there is an amazing wealth of content for kids, and it feels like there's new stuff added nearly every time they log in. What little I've sat down and watched with them is quite well done.

Granted, it's not Disney IP, but there's more than enough content for them in Netflix. Enough that I'm not likely to jump over to the Disney streaming service any time soon (I have zero personal interest, outside of the potential Star Wars stuff)
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Rumpy wrote:It seems like there's far less on Netflix these days, especially on the Canadian version. It feels very lean right now and I see things reappearing much more quickly than they have in the past.
Craziness, at least in America. If Netflix deleted everything that wasn't a Netflix original tomorrow, I'd still never catch up.

They've reached the tipping point of being worth it just on their own content, fore at least.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:01 pm
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:31 pmFrom what I've heard, Netflix content for children in particular is already a fairly weak area for them.
Really? It seems to me that there is an amazing wealth of content for kids, and it feels like there's new stuff added nearly every time they log in. What little I've sat down and watched with them is quite well done.

Granted, it's not Disney IP, but there's more than enough content for them in Netflix. Enough that I'm not likely to jump over to the Disney streaming service any time soon (I have zero personal interest, outside of the potential Star Wars stuff)
I cannot really speak to it myself. But it wasn't a matter of quantity, but rather of quality. I recall hearing from several parents that they'd come across a great deal more chaff than wheat, so to speak, in terms of the quality of Netflix content aimed at younger children. Of course, those opinions may well have been subjective, but I cannot help but think it's likely to be difficult for Netflix to compete in that arena against the likes of Disney/Pixar/Star Wars/Marvel and so on.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:57 pm As an aside, I hate the browsing options. On Hulu I can can click 'TV' and have categories such as 'Staff Picks', '90s Family Comedy', and 'Binge from the Beginning.' It's completely useless for actually finding shows. Where do I click for classic sitcoms from the 80s, or 60s westerns, or 90s adventure shows? Why can't I click Browse, put check marks in 'TV', 'Drama', and put in '1965-1975'? Prime streaming, for all the search options Amazon has for stores, is even worse.
Problem solved! :horse: