Spotify

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Carpet_pissr

Re: Spotify

Post by Carpet_pissr »

How does Spotify compare to MOG? Anyone tried both?

http://mog.com/" target="_blank

(one thing I like about MOG is that they stream at an awesome 320kbps, and it's available on ROKU)
telcta

Post by telcta »

$iljanus wrote:(for those who don't know, click on an artist and when you get to the artist's biography page there's a "Artist Radio" tab that will show you music "related" to the artist. Hit play and you'll get a random sampling of songs supposedly along the same lines as the artist you were looking at.)
Nice, thanks. I never noticed the playlist at the bottom, I assumed it was more advertisements they're usually showing on the bottom or the side.

I've been listening to Moby more since you mentioned him and the only song I owned was Extreme Ways (end-title to the Bourne Identity movie), and strangely enough it's not on Spotify but they have all his albums going back to 1988. Anyhow, I started with the new album and the track Victoria Lucas has a very similar, if not the same, riff as Extreme Ways.

I read in his biography he took the theme song to Twin Peaks and remixed it so now I'm starting to diverge into some Angelo Badalamenti and reminiscing about Twin Peaks.
Last edited by telcta on Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

$iljanus wrote:I think the only option is the "Artist Radio" function. Is that what you used to listen to "related bands", Exodor? I haven't played around with it yet.

(for those who don't know, click on an artist and when you get to the artist's biography page there's a "Artist Radio" tab that will show you music "related" to the artist. Hit play and you'll get a random sampling of songs supposedly along the same lines as the artist you were looking at.)

Nice! That's exactly what I wanted. Thanks.

Is it me or is the Spotify client almost an exact clone of the Songbird media player
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

Exodor wrote:Just got in thanks to my brother.

So far it's neat but I think it's only going to be useful when I'm seeking out specific new music.

If I want to listen to my music it's all in Google Music already.

If I want to find new music similar to music I like I've got Pandora.

Is there a Pandora-like "let me listen to a series of music I might like" setting? I can find "related bands" by starting with a band I like but it seems more limited than Pandora's playlists.
For someone like me, who's too cheap to spend much money on music, Spotify is awesome. I don't spend money to find new artists so the only albums I've purchased in the last few years have been from Flogging Molly and a couple other bands I like. With this, I can finally listen to full albums and find new artists without running the risk of buying something I might end up not liking (Modest Mouse, I'm looking at you).
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

godhugh wrote:For someone like me, who's too cheap to spend much money on music, Spotify is awesome. I don't spend money to find new artists so the only albums I've purchased in the last few years have been from Flogging Molly and a couple other bands I like. With this, I can finally listen to full albums and find new artists without running the risk of buying something I might end up not liking (Modest Mouse, I'm looking at you).
Between my library card and general media exposure (radio, forums, reviews, friend recommendations, artist webpages/Myspace/last.fm/etc.), it's never difficult for me to get a sense of what I like and don't like without investing anything beyond time, and hardly an excessive amount of that. I don't even read music magazines or blogs, but I'm immersed in the stuff on a daily basis regardless.

I guess it's nice to preview the entire album streaming because the library doesn't have it at all, or there are too many people ahead of you and you desire instant gratification, and you might like the couple of tracks the band has uploaded but what if you hate the rest of it enough that you feel like the album was a ripoff even though you liked those other songs enough to buy it in the first place and....

Very convenient, to be sure.

My library has 9 different albums by Modest Mouse.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

godhugh wrote:(Modest Mouse, I'm looking at you).
I've made a number of horrible (for me) purchases based on tastes primarily through OO/GG. Everything from Black Rebel Motorcycle Group to Arcade Fire. I stopped a long time ago with the realization that I'm really on my own little island when it comes to what music I enjoy. Well, me and Kelric, maybe. I will say that on my island I do find things that others here love(d)... years after the fact. I haven't used Spotify yet, though I've been meaning to and I want to do it to listen to albums of "if you like ... then you might like ... " (and Pandora wasn't much help) The big problem with this approach is I fear I'm looking for "you had no clue but as it turns out you absolutely love .... " I've really hit a musical void in 2011 but I've playing around with the "if you like ... then you might like ... " approach through songkick.com . Spotify will make checking bands out through songkick that much easier.

I'm still pissed that the closest things Satellite radio has to a punk (for lack of a better word) friendly radio station is the luck of the draw music you hear on bandeaparte. So I've got to listen to Canadian station that pretty much only plays music from Montreal in language I don't understand to find music I like a radio that has nearly a 100 music stations, maybe more? That's fucked up. That and I need to win the lotto, learn French, and move to Montreal.

And that reminds me. I need to see if some of the bands like CATL, whom I can't even find through google are on Spotify. I know they've got Loomis band, the Slammin Zeroes. (Anyone here remember Loomis?) Bands don't get much smaller than that.
telcta

Post by telcta »

LordMortis wrote:I need to see if some of the bands like CATL, whom I can't even find through google are on Spotify.
A quick search for CATL shows two albums both from 2010:

Adonde Vas? - A Ningun Lado
With The Lord For Cowards You Will Find No Place
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

telcta wrote:
LordMortis wrote:I need to see if some of the bands like CATL, whom I can't even find through google are on Spotify.
A quick search for CATL shows two albums both from 2010:

Adonde Vas? - A Ningun Lado
With The Lord For Cowards You Will Find No Place
Awesome. I heard them in passing. Once. And could not find them anywhere.... Must remember to use spotify. Must remember to use spotify. Must remember to use spotify.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Search: CATL+band
http://radio3.cbc.ca/bands/catl" target="_blank
http://www.myspace.com/catlmusic" target="_blank
http://www.nowtoronto.com/music/story.c ... ent=173241" target="_blank
http://www.chartattack.com/reviews/80140/catl-cmw-2010" target="_blank
and a ton of youtube footage and their twitter and their facebook....
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
telcta

Post by telcta »

Not what I pictured at all.

I just listened to a few songs... I like. Dropping into my playlist now to listen later.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

One unheralded feature I'm trying out - sharing playlists.

I like being able to create a playlist and share it on Facebook with just a click or two.

I hope some of my Facebook friends (particularly those with good taste) start doing the same.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Exodor wrote:One unheralded feature I'm trying out - sharing playlists.

I like being able to create a playlist and share it on Facebook with just a click or two.

I hope some of my Facebook friends (particularly those with good taste) start doing the same.
Not sure how how to do it, don't have good taste, but I'm always up for finding music. I'll send you my email and friend you on FB.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Awesome. Playlists share easy. Count me in as wanting to hear what you guys got. :D

I need to walk away from this now. I'm just moving from band to band and loving it. Who the hell are Maximo Park? Absolutely fun.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

LordMortis wrote:Awesome. Playlists share easy. Count me in as wanting to hear what you guys got. :D
My brother just sent me this tip:
You can share stuff directly in Spotify: just drag songs to my name on
the right side and it will show up in my inbox.
/mind blown.
disarm

Post by disarm »

FYI...it seems like you don't really need someone to invite you to Spotify any more. You can enter your e-mail address at the website to request an invitation, and there really doesn't seem to be any signficant wait time at this point. I requested access direct from Spotify on Sunday night and had an invitation in my inbox within minutes. I guess that could change based on how they may choose to limit access right now, but they really don't seem to be keeping anyone out at this point.
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

It's an awesome streaming service but the huge bonus that I wasn't expecting is how amazing the iPod support is. I can either stream albums when I'm at home or listen to albums/playlists via the offline mode if I'm away from the home network. No more uploading mp3's on to my iPod. HUZZAH and good riddance to that chore... iTunes took forever copying files and adding album artwork. Not having to use iTunes ever again is worth $10 a month easy. :lol:
ska5fe

Post by ska5fe »

Exodor wrote: My brother just sent me this tip:
/mind blown.
Yessss, I love this feature. I've got to convince my brother to get on the Spotify train because he's always saying 'Check this band out', but I often forget to, but if he sends me a track right to my inbox, how can I not listen to it?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Anyone know what the streaming bit rate is?
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

ska5fe wrote:
Exodor wrote: My brother just sent me this tip:
/mind blown.
Yessss, I love this feature. I've got to convince my brother to get on the Spotify train because he's always saying 'Check this band out', but I often forget to, but if he sends me a track right to my inbox, how can I not listen to it?
The only bummer is it seems you can only share tracks this way, not playlists.

So I'll use that for sharing single tracks and Facebook for sharing playlists. Kind of a pain but whatever.

EDIT - another new discovery:

When you click on a shared playlist you can "subscribe" to it which adds it to your playlists. I"m assuming that any changes made by the author to that playlist are then reflected in yours as well.

So I could setup a "new this week" or "current favorites" playlist, share it, and then occasionally change the tracks to change the tracks seen by anyone who subscribed.

Much more elegant than constantly sharing new playlists.

This is awesome. 8-)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Exodor wrote:EDIT - another new discovery:

When you click on a shared playlist you can "subscribe" to it which adds it to your playlists. I"m assuming that any changes made by the author to that playlist are then reflected in yours as well.

So I could setup a "new this week" or "current favorites" playlist, share it, and then occasionally change the tracks to change the tracks seen by anyone who subscribed.

Much more elegant than constantly sharing new playlists.

This is awesome. 8-)

Given that I spend about four or five hours just playing last night and dragging stuff into a new music to be sorted folder that could be a lot of fun. I wasted a lot time last night. Oi.

Also, I believe you can drag entire albums into the message delivery system as well as single songs. I was trading albums and songs with a friend last night to great delight. He totally blind by him sending me some Helix last night. Totally took me back to another place.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Anyone know what the streaming bit rate is?
I'm not sure about the bitrate of the free service, but you get up to 320kbps streaming if you pay for Premium. They openly admit that not all tracks are available at the highest bitrate though.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I'm finding the coverage spotty but loving it none the less. I know I'm looking for old and obscure bands but it still seems old to find one album from the middle of an artist's career and nothing newer or older.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Spotify's new terms of service agreement suck: it will remain the same for 6 month from account start date and then afterward limit non-paying users to 10 hours/music per month. I guess they aren't making enough money off the ad-based model. Oh well, I guess I'll have to go back to Grooveshark in a couple of months. :?
Black Lives Matter
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

So, what happened to their policy whereby all new users must sign up through Facebook?
wot?

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Highly recommend MOG as well...in several head to head comparisons, it beats out Spotify in sound quality, selection, and several other areas (note I still use Spotify free as well, and I do like it, but MOG is just a little bit better IMO).
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Spotify's Facebook integration is my favorite part of the program. I love being able to send and receive music recommendations and generally just see what my friends are listening to. I've already discovered a bunch of new music this way.
Black Lives Matter
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

That's fine if you like it as an option, but should it be mandatory?
wot?

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i know i'm not signing up for this service because of that. no, i don't want to make a fake FB account, either.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

silverjon wrote:That's fine if you like it as an option, but should it be mandatory?
Yes, because I like it. :ninja:
Black Lives Matter
tru1cy

Spotify

Post by tru1cy »

I've never linked my spotify account to my former FB account. I guess I'll pony up the 9.99 for premium as I use spotify everyday at work
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

tru1cy wrote:I've never linked my spotify account to my former FB account.
It's mandatory for all new Spotify users since end of September sometime.
wot?

rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

I spent the weekend working on a Spotify playlist of my 300 all-time favorite songs. It started at 100, then 150, then 200... had to stop myself at 300. It was really fun and addictive to put it together.

Check it out here, and subscribe if you wanna.
The Meal

Pretty cool, Rob!

Post by The Meal »

FINE. Sheesh. Okay, I get it. I'll join Spotify.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Barrack Obama's Campain playlist.

https://twitter.com/#!/BarackObama/stat ... 3764687872" target="_blank

http://open.spotify.com/user/barackobam ... fDLYTsCOAv" target="_blank

Wilco, Noah and the Whale... Whoda thunk? I'm not even sure I believe it. But hopefully that will NatW back to the states to tour.

Also can I assume this legitimizes Spotify?
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

rrmorton wrote:I spent the weekend working on a Spotify playlist of my 300 all-time favorite songs. It started at 100, then 150, then 200... had to stop myself at 300. It was really fun and addictive to put it together.

Fabulous! Thanks for posting this.
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

rrmorton wrote:I spent the weekend working on a Spotify playlist of my 300 all-time favorite songs. It started at 100, then 150, then 200... had to stop myself at 300. It was really fun and addictive to put it together.

Subscribed! Thanks!
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

What does subscribing do?

Ale
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Alefroth wrote:

Ale
It puts the playlist in your menu and updates it if the original list is updated, I believe.
Insert witty comment here.
telcta

Post by telcta »

TiLT wrote:
Alefroth wrote:

Ale
It puts the playlist in your menu and updates it if the original list is updated, I believe.
Correct. I subscribed (thanks rrmorton) and I can sort by the date he added songs which is pretty cool.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Thanks. I'm subscribing, too.

Ale