53%
No
36%
Maybe
11%

Total votes: 89

Yankeeman84

Post by Yankeeman84 »

Mmm...punishment does little to rehabilitate. But I'm not interested in rehabilitating everybody. And I have no particular problem with stooping to Peterson's level as we inject him with nastiness for his crimes.
Again...correct RM9! Why should we have to be the rehab-ers. It is simple. If you commit a crime....you pay the price....easy as 1-2-3. I think we all agree that Peterson is a total asshole. If you try to rehab a double murderer...that costs more money and resources. Why should we spend more resources on a fucker that cares nothing about others lives and it seems his own.

He took to right to life away. Taking away his is only fair.
XBox Live Gamertag: Yankeeman84

GO HOKIES!!!

Virginia Tech Department of History
geezer

Post by geezer »

Yankeeman84 wrote:
Mmm...punishment does little to rehabilitate. But I'm not interested in rehabilitating everybody. And I have no particular problem with stooping to Peterson's level as we inject him with nastiness for his crimes.
Again...correct RM9! Why should we have to be the rehab-ers. It is simple. If you commit a crime....you pay the price....easy as 1-2-3. I think we all agree that Peterson is a total asshole. If you try to rehab a double murderer...that costs more money and resources. Why should we spend more resources on a fucker that cares nothing about others lives and it seems his own.
Because we are better than that fucker, and are capable of giving mercy even where none was given.
Yankeeman84

Post by Yankeeman84 »

I'm not saying I know the answer, I jusr wonder what it is that make sus feel we have to punish, and why we think that it's not only ok, but necessary.
Punishment is used as a deterrent. I would not even think about killing someone cause of my fear of getting the DP or life in prison. Some people do not care and you must use them as the example. If we didnt punish, IMHO, the murder rate and crime would soar.

GO HOKIES!!!

gbasden

Post by gbasden »

geezer wrote:
RunningMn9 wrote:
geezer wrote:I mean, everyone says "criminals need to be punished." But why? So that they won't be criminals anymore? So that they compensate their victims somehow? Or just because we are too primitive to get past the anger we have that demands that we make ourselves feel better by striking back.
But why? Because it's "right?" "Fair?" Makes you feel good to make a bad person suffer? Because it's wrong for someone to cause another person pain and not suffer pain themselves?

I'm not saying I know the answer, I jusr wonder what it is that make sus feel we have to punish, and why we think that it's not only ok, but necessary.
Because most people like the idea of vengeance and payback. It's not particularly nice, but there it is.

I can live with it, as long as we are certain that we are administering the smack-down to the proper person.
Yankeeman84

Post by Yankeeman84 »

Because we are better than that fucker, and are capable of giving mercy even where none was given.
He did not show *mercy* when he killed his wife and unborn child.

GO HOKIES!!!

Yankeeman84

Post by Yankeeman84 »

I can live with it, as long as we are certain that we are administering the smack-down to the proper person.
I agree. Let the sentence/verdict fit the crime.

GO HOKIES!!!

gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Yankeeman84 wrote:
Punishment is used as a deterrent. I would not even think about killing someone cause of my fear of getting the DP or life in prison. Some people do not care and you must use them as the example. If we didnt punish, IMHO, the murder rate and crime would soar.
Punishment does not *have* to equal the death penalty. I doubt anyone is advocating changing the penalty for murder to a $50 fine and community service.
Spiff

Post by Spiff »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Spiff wrote: In order to impose the death penalty there are several factors that must be present during the commission of the act in order for the crime to be punishable by death. That's why most deaths as a result of arguments, passion, etc. aren't prosecuted as 1st degree murder.

We have laws in this country that need to be followed. Deterrent or not, the death penalty is a possible punishment for committing 1st degree murder. Don't like that, work to have the laws changed. The Supreme Court doesn't seem to think it's cruel and/or unusual punishment. I have absolutely zero problem with the death penalty. If you don't want to be executed, don't commit the crimes that carry a death penalty sentence. Pretty simple.
We have laws in various states, not "in this country." A murder may or may not meet the requirements of the death penalty in a particular state and then it may or may not result in death. The law isn't automatically applied when requirements are met.
True, I should have said states, but didn't. Semantics. I know not all crimes that are death penalty eligible are prosecuted that way. My point was, don't want to be put to death, don't commit a crime that has that for a possible punishment.
"Some people never find it, some only pretend; but me, I just want to live happily ever after every now and then."
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Yankeeman84 wrote:
I agree. Let the sentence/verdict fit the crime.
Except in this case, we don't agree. You think Mr. Peterson needs to die, tomorrow, if possible. I don't think the level of evidence meets my personal threshold of certainty in this case.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Yankeeman84 wrote:
It's not a deterrent to murder. It is a deterrent to specific forms of murder in certain states. If someone really, really wanted to kill someone, and life in prison wasn't a deterrent but the death penalty was, they could find a way to commit the crime and avoid getting executed. Which would exhibit even more cunning and deliberation than Peterson and would be rewarded with the "measley" life-in-prison sentence.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Yankeeman84 wrote:If you try to rehab a double murderer...that costs more money and resources. Why should we spend more resources on a fucker that cares nothing about others lives and it seems his own.

I take it the studies showing that the death penalty has no deterrent effect and costs more than life imprisonment are lies? Wrong? Creations of the liberal media?

Or just easily ignored?

Why is our murder rate so much higher than other western countries that do not have the death penalty? By your logic, the deterrent effect of the death penalty should reduce the amount of crime.

The death penalty is retribution. It's vengeance. If you support it, please at least be honest about why we have it. I have no love for government and little trust in them to do the right thing - why the hell would I give a government I don't trust the power to kill its own citizens?
Yankeeman84

Post by Yankeeman84 »

Punishment does not *have* to equal the death penalty.
I understand. I am just saying that a Murder 1 and a Murder 2 combined pretty much sums up the DP. I think if it was just a Murder 1 he would have gotten life with possible parole.

GO HOKIES!!!

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Spiff wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:
Spiff wrote: In order to impose the death penalty there are several factors that must be present during the commission of the act in order for the crime to be punishable by death. That's why most deaths as a result of arguments, passion, etc. aren't prosecuted as 1st degree murder.

We have laws in this country that need to be followed. Deterrent or not, the death penalty is a possible punishment for committing 1st degree murder. Don't like that, work to have the laws changed. The Supreme Court doesn't seem to think it's cruel and/or unusual punishment. I have absolutely zero problem with the death penalty. If you don't want to be executed, don't commit the crimes that carry a death penalty sentence. Pretty simple.
We have laws in various states, not "in this country." A murder may or may not meet the requirements of the death penalty in a particular state and then it may or may not result in death. The law isn't automatically applied when requirements are met.
True, I should have said states, but didn't. Semantics. I know not all crimes that are death penalty eligible are prosecuted that way. My point was, don't want to be put to death, don't commit a crime that has that for a possible punishment.
Like I said, that rewards greater cunning. Don't want the death penalty? Wait until the victim is in another state. Or pick a fight with them. Or get drunk first. Or do it in the height of your anger. And so on.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Yankeeman84

Post by Yankeeman84 »

Why is our murder rate so much higher than other western countries that do not have the death penalty? By your logic, the deterrent effect of the death penalty should reduce the amount of crime.
I blame it on our culture and out way of life. That, imo, if why our MR is so much higher. It should but is does not. Honestly, I have no idea how we can *effectively* reduce our crime rate.

GO HOKIES!!!

Spiff

Post by Spiff »

Exodor wrote:I take it the studies showing that the death penalty has no deterrent effect and costs more than life imprisonment are lies? Wrong? Creations of the liberal media?

Or just easily ignored?

The death penalty is retribution. It's vengeance. If you support it, please at least be honest about why we have it. I have no love for government and little trust in them to do the right thing - why the hell would I give a government I don't trust the power to kill its own citizens?
I don't care if it's a deterrent or not. It's a possible sentence for committing certain acts.

I do support it. Vengence, revenge, payback, whatever you wanna call it is fine. It's a possible punishment.

In Oklahoma, a jury decides whether or not a defendant gets the death penalty. The sentence isn't a recommendation like it was in Peterson's case, it's the sentence. When I was on jury duty in January, and we sentenced a kid (he was 22) to death, the judge had no alternative but to impose the penalty that 12 citizens agreed upon.

So, the reason I support it is pretty simple. If a person doesn't value the life of another human being enough not to commit a death penalty eligible crime upon that person(s), then he/she deserves to give up their life for their transgressions.
"Some people never find it, some only pretend; but me, I just want to live happily ever after every now and then."
Yankeeman84

Post by Yankeeman84 »

The death penalty is retribution. It's vengeance.
So killing McVeigh is retribution....vengence? He didnt value life anyway so how is it retribution. Look at all of the families he ruined. What do you say to them?

I think sending Peterson to prison is a slap in the face to the victims family. I am not for quick execution but he murdered 2 people. I know if someone killed my parents or someone close to me...I would want them punished to the fullest extent of the law. I think by giving them a fair trail is enough *fairness*.

I have no love for government and little trust in them to do the right thing - why the hell would I give a government I don't trust the power to kill its own citizens?
"The jury of your peers" hands out the sentence. THEY sentence the person to death....the government just carries it out. We tell the government what to do and they do it. Of course, there is always the appeals process but I do not see this one being overturned.

Again, fellas I respect your opinion but we might have to agree to disagree on this one.

GO HOKIES!!!

gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Yankeeman84 wrote:
So killing McVeigh is retribution....vengence? He didnt value life anyway so how is it retribution. Look at all of the families he ruined. What do you say to them?

I think sending Peterson to prison is a slap in the face to the victims family. I am not for quick execution but he murdered 2 people. I know if someone killed my parents or someone close to me...I would want them punished to the fullest extent of the law. I think by giving them a fair trail is enough *fairness*.

I have no love for government and little trust in them to do the right thing - why the hell would I give a government I don't trust the power to kill its own citizens?
"The jury of your peers" hands out the sentence. THEY sentence the person to death....the government just carries it out. We tell the government what to do and they do it. Of course, there is always the appeals process but I do not see this one being overturned.

Again, fellas I respect your opinion but we might have to agree to disagree on this one.
We've seen a lot of people on death row get their convictions overturned. To me, killing off an innocent person is more disturbing than letting a murderer only get life in prison.

Would you not agree that the death penalty should have a higher threshold of proof? Or is the risk of killing an innocent not that important to you?
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Yankeeman84 wrote:
Yes, of course. What else is it? Rehabilitation?

Killing Scott Peterson is not going to bring back Laci or the child - it's just going to eliminate one more life.

I'd much rather the bastard rot in a cell for the next 60 years and think about what he's done.
Padre

Post by Padre »

The death penalty is too soft on criminals.

There. I said it.

Let's look at death for a second. What does a criminal being dead actually get? Depends on what you believe, but it basically boils down to one of the following:

1. The crim gets thrown into an eternal hellpit of despair. Ok, great, lots of vengeance there. But, if the hellpit is eternal anyway, why shouldn't we keep him around on Earth for fifty years, depressed, alone, imprisoned and contemplating his eventual fate, and THEN cast him into the bosom of Satan? That'd be even better punishment, right? Especially as any false hopes of release would be cruelly dashed. Maybe you could even torture him a bit before death.

2. The crim gets sent to an eternal realm of happiness and joy. Shit, that sucks for us, don't it? Rubbish punishment there. Hell, sign me up for the death penalty.

3. The crim ceases to exist on any meaningful level. Which puts him about neutral on the "suffering for his crime" scale, I'm thinking. Surely better to keep him alive but miserable? That's punishment. Plus we get to vicariously participate in his suffering, thus satiating our bloodlust.

4. The crim is reincarnated in some fashion. Ok, perhaps this'd be good if he gets reincarnated as something awful, like a slug or something. But no guarantees , right? We don't want him off being a happy slug as his comeuppance for killing a bunch of kids. And if he;'s gonna be reincarnatred anyway, why can't we have a little fun with him while he's still human-shaped?

Nah, I say these Death Row types get it easy. Life in prison? There's something to fear.

(Note for the humour impared, the above post was 80% non-serious.)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Yankeeman84 wrote:
What do you say to them? "There, McVeigh is all dead now. Doesn't that make you feel better? Um...ok? Bye." It satisfies a certain understandable bloodlust but really doesn't accomplish much of substance.

And for what it's worth, a number of family members didn't want McVeigh executed.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Padre wrote:The death penalty is too soft on criminals.

There. I said it.

Let's look at death for a second. What does a criminal being dead actually get? Depends on what you believe, but it basically boils down to one of the following:
[4 belief options]

(Note for the humour impared, the above post was 80% non-serious.)
Too true.
(I agree but it is is still spot on).

MYT
geezer

Post by geezer »

Yankeeman84 wrote:
He did not show *mercy* when he killed his wife and unborn child.
But.. that's kinda my point :)

Anyway, we can agree to disagree... But if I'm ever on a jury with you I'll hang it up in sentencing ;)
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

But why? Because it's "right?" "Fair?" Makes you feel good to make a bad person suffer? Because it's wrong for someone to cause another person pain and not suffer pain themselves?
Because I lack that "thing" that makes some people believe that all life is sacred. You fuck up bad enough, and I have no problem with your life becoming forfeit. You want to skip out on your relationship by killing your wife and unborn child? Fuck off. You get to look forward to 200cc of liquid retribution.

You have a problem with that, I don't. I don't know where to go from there.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

We've seen a lot of people on death row get their convictions overturned.
Let's assume that all of the overturned convictions are innocents (you know that isn't a given in our legal system). Isn't that a sign of the system working?

How many innocent people have been executed in the US? How many guilty people have been executed in the US?

To me, killing off an innocent person is more disturbing than letting a murderer only get life in prison.
I think we've made it difficult enough for the State to kill someone that a vanishingly small number of innocents will slip through the cracks.

Sure, it can happen. As long as it is rare enough, I'll take it.

Would you not agree that the death penalty should have a higher threshold of proof? Or is the risk of killing an innocent not that important to you?
I'm fine with that. I would be ok with raising the threshold to "beyond ALL doubt". As part of the compromise though, let's shave down the appeals process to save costs. We get to kill you if we catch you on video tape. But if we catch you on video tape - you get no appeals. Deal?

Or is the risk of killing an innocent not that important to you?
It's important. It's just not absolute (for me).
Make up bags of change
Quipp

Post by Quipp »

gbasden wrote:I doubt anyone is advocating changing the penalty for murder to a $50 fine and community service.
Just for celebrities. I mean, what's a life or two when our entertainment is in jeopardy.

Seriously though, I can't really support the death penalty, even for worms like Peterson. I think you have to weigh the risk of accidently killing innocent people against the momentary pleasure that is derived from serving vengence on the wicked. I think the risk is too high.

Not that I would shed a tear if Peterson were to suddenly develop horrible, painful ass cancer or met with an "accident" in the prison yard. I would see that as nature running its course.
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

Yankeeman84 wrote:

He took to right to life away. Taking away his is only fair.
We should be the rehabilitators because the vast majority of criminals do not get either life in prison or the death penalty. They go back on the street eventually. If no attempt is made to deal with whatever caused them to commit a crime, they will likely do so again. We all lose when that happens. Rehabilitation can and does work when it's properly done - where's the problem with that?

Justice based solely on retribution is poor justice, not only for the criminal but for society as a whole. It simply leads to more crime.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- George Orwell
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

The Mad Hatter wrote:We should be the rehabilitators because the vast majority of criminals do not get either life in prison or the death penalty. They go back on the street eventually. If no attempt is made to deal with whatever caused them to commit a crime, they will likely do so again. We all lose when that happens. Rehabilitation can and does work when it's properly done - where's the problem with that?
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Quipp wrote:Not that I would shed a tear if Peterson were to suddenly develop horrible, painful ass cancer or met with an "accident" in the prison yard. I would see that as nature running its course.
So you're fine with the end result, you just don't want to be party to pulling the trigger? I guess that's ok.
Make up bags of change
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

TMH said:
We should be the rehabilitators because the vast majority of criminals do not get either life in prison or the death penalty. They go back on the street eventually. If no attempt is made to deal with whatever caused them to commit a crime, they will likely do so again. We all lose when that happens. Rehabilitation can and does work when it's properly done - where's the problem with that?
To clarify, RM9 said:
Mmm...punishment does little to rehabilitate. But I'm not interested in rehabilitating everybody.
I don't have a problem with rehabilitating some/most criminals. But I do recognize that people like Scott Peterson aren't going to be rehabilitated.

In that case, they can piss off.
Make up bags of change
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

RunningMn9 wrote: Let's assume that all of the overturned convictions are innocents (you know that isn't a given in our legal system). Isn't that a sign of the system working?
Once DNA evidence showed up, yes. How many did we fry before that? How many will we fry because we convicted them with only circumstantial evidence?
How many innocent people have been executed in the US? How many guilty people have been executed in the US?
Unfortunately, we'll never really know. According to this page, we've executed 956 people since the death penalty was restored in 1976. So, some subset of those killed were actually innocent. The Innocence Project alone has exonerated 157 death row inmates to date, mostly based on DNA testing.
I think we've made it difficult enough for the State to kill someone that a vanishingly small number of innocents will slip through the cracks.

Sure, it can happen. As long as it is rare enough, I'll take it.
I guess that's where we differ - I don't think that the number of innocents we kill is a vanishingly small percentage of the total number of people put to death. I think, based on the studies that have been done in Indiana and elsewhere, that the numbers of innocents on death row is not inconsequential.

I'm fine with that. I would be ok with raising the threshold to "beyond ALL doubt". As part of the compromise though, let's shave down the appeals process to save costs. We get to kill you if we catch you on video tape. But if we catch you on video tape - you get no appeals. Deal?
Done. We can march him out the courthouse steps and behead him on camera if you have him on video. I don't have a moral qualm about the act itself, just upon it being applied based on flimsy evidence.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Quipp wrote:
gbasden wrote:I doubt anyone is advocating changing the penalty for murder to a $50 fine and community service.
Just for celebrities. I mean, what's a life or two when our entertainment is in jeopardy.
Are you on crack? You should know better. Celebs don't even get the $50 fine.
GuidoTKP

Post by GuidoTKP »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Or is the risk of killing an innocent not that important to you?
It's important. It's just not absolute (for me).
Why?

Put differently, what do you perceive to be the rewards for killing the guilty vs. the costs of killing the innocent?

Just to frame where I am coming from, if there was absolute certainty that someone was guilty of heinous, savage brutality, I would have no qualms about executing them for purely moral reasons (i.e., I don't think all life is sacred and believe that one can waive their entitlement to life by their conduct).

My problem is that level of certainty is very hard to come by. It's hard to imagine a system that acheives the requisite level of certainty. Unlike you, I don't find very good accuracy to be anywhere near good enough. Advances in DNA testing are starting to reveal to us that an alarming number of people have been sentenced to die that shouldn't have been. That really isn't an example of the system working, that is an example of science proving that the system was broken in numerous instances. DNA evidence is not really a perfect solution to that problem, so I don't characterize the problem as being one confined to our past.

Given the fallability inherrent in the system (let's say we get it wrong 0.01% of the time -- which I think is a conservative estimate), I can't really identify why the benefits outweigh the risks.

Its not cost. There are numerous credible studies that indicate that the appeals process is more expensive than just locking them up and throwing away the key. The only way to make it cost effective is to cut down on the appeals ... which lowers the system's accuracy rate. Hopefully this doesn't require extensive argument to establish as a "bad thing" ....

Its not safety. Locking them up protects the public almost as much as killing them does (prison breaks do happen, so killing them is a little more effective on that front, but escapes are so rare that I don't really factor them in much; plus, there is nothing to say that a prison break is any more or less likely during the years that the person is processing their appeals).

Its not deterrence. This one is at least arguable, but I tend to buy the studies that say it has no deterring effect. The problem is that the mentality of people who committ violent crimes tends towards two extremes. Category 1 are the criminals who think they will never be caught. They don't worry about the death penalty, because they believe they'll get away with it. Category 2 are the criminals who are pretty much incapable of weighing consequences while they are committing crimes. Not incapable in an insane way, just incapable in a "these are the type of fucktards who make bad decisions all of the time, because they have shitty consequence consideration mechanisms". We'll call them the Defectives. Defectives aren't deterred because ... well ... they are defective.

It may be justice. I'm throwing the whole retribution/vengence consideration into this pool. Many people simply believe it is more "just" to deprive a killer of his life. I don't really know how to weigh this one. I don't know how to measure the positive effects on the victim's family and on society that flow from killing a killer. I'm willing to believe that there are some. On the other side of the coin, however, is the stark injustice that comes from convicting the innocent. Even worse would be killing an innocent, since you have now shut down any opportunity to ever correct your mistake. My conclusion on this score is that a more "just" society arises from a system where you always have an opportunity to correct the most heinous of mistakes than from one that kills its killers. I consider this to be the only really good argument advanced by the pro-death penalty camp, but on the whole, I find it unpersausive.

I just think the death penalty loses whenever you do the math.
"All I can ever think of when I see BBT is, "that guy f***ed Angelina Jolie? Seriously?" Then I wonder if Angelina ever wakes up in the middle of the night to find Brad Pitt in the shower, huddled in a corner furiously scrubbing at his d*** and going, 'I can't get the smell of Billy Bob off of this thing.' Then I try to think of something, anything, else." --Brian

"Would you go up to a girl in a bar and say 'Pardon me, miss, but before I spend a lot of time chatting you up, and buying you drinks, I'd like to know if you do anal. Because if not, that's a deal-breaker for me.'"
-- Mr. Fed
Quipp

Post by Quipp »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Quipp wrote:Not that I would shed a tear if Peterson were to suddenly develop horrible, painful ass cancer or met with an "accident" in the prison yard. I would see that as nature running its course.
So you're fine with the end result, you just don't want to be party to pulling the trigger?
I don't think the government should be involved in executions. My ability/inabilty to personally execute someone is a separate topic.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

First gbasden, then I have to take a break before dealing with Guido. :)
Once DNA evidence showed up, yes. How many did we fry before that? How many will we fry because we convicted them with only circumstantial evidence?
I no longer have to worry about people being convicted in a world without DNA evidence. If we fried innocent people in 1947, that's not my problem, nor is it necessarily a reason to not fry guilty people in 2005.

I'll let Mr. Fed deal with the "only circumstantial evidence" portion of your comment. :)

Unfortunately, we'll never really know. According to this page, we've executed 956 people since the death penalty was restored in 1976. So, some subset of those killed were actually innocent.
Is the size of the subset 0? 1? 950? Your threshold may be any number greater than 0. My threshold may be any number less than 10. Neither one of us is right. In aggregate, we determine the appropriate number, which seems to be some number greater than 0.

The Innocence Project alone has exonerated 157 death row inmates to date, mostly based on DNA testing.
Kudos to the Innocence Project. But that doesn't tell us how many of the 956 executions were of innocent people.

And I'll point out that Barry Scheck (one of the two head dudes at the Innocence Project) was part of the team that got OJ exonerated. Not so much a "hooray" on that one.

I guess that's where we differ - I don't think that the number of innocents we kill is a vanishingly small percentage of the total number of people put to death. I think, based on the studies that have been done in Indiana and elsewhere, that the numbers of innocents on death row is not inconsequential.
As long as we catch them while they are still on Death Row, and not in a pine box - they don't count. They are examples of the system working, not of the system failing.

You have to make it through the cracks to count as a failure.

Done. We can march him out the courthouse steps and behead him on camera if you have him on video. I don't have a moral qualm about the act itself, just upon it being applied based on flimsy evidence.
Nice. Who do we take our deal to for ratification?

Now off to digest Guido's shenanigans. :)
Make up bags of change
GuidoTKP

Post by GuidoTKP »

RunningMn9 wrote:Now off to digest Guido's shenanigans. :)
You know it made your day, peaches ....
"All I can ever think of when I see BBT is, "that guy f***ed Angelina Jolie? Seriously?" Then I wonder if Angelina ever wakes up in the middle of the night to find Brad Pitt in the shower, huddled in a corner furiously scrubbing at his d*** and going, 'I can't get the smell of Billy Bob off of this thing.' Then I try to think of something, anything, else." --Brian

"Would you go up to a girl in a bar and say 'Pardon me, miss, but before I spend a lot of time chatting you up, and buying you drinks, I'd like to know if you do anal. Because if not, that's a deal-breaker for me.'"
-- Mr. Fed
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Guido:
Why?
I don't know. :)

All I know is that when I do the mental calculus, my threshold for the innocent:guilty ratio, it's nonzero.

Put differently, what do you perceive to be the rewards for killing the guilty vs. the costs of killing the innocent?
I don't know that one could quantify it exactly. Let's imagine that I get 1 point of satisfaction in knowing that a guilty asshole is executed. Let's imagine that I get 1 point of anguish when an innocent is executed.

Let's imagine then that 1 anguish point = 57 satisfaction points. In that case, as long as we have greater than a 56 out of 57 "hit" rate in determining guilt, then I am ok with the system.

I don't know what the actual numbers are for me. For some of you, 1 anguish point equals infinity satisfaction points. That's cool too. I say we vote on it.

If I had to guess, I would say that I could sleep at night with a hit rate in the 99.9% range. NOTE: That's executions mind you - not death row inmates.

Just to frame where I am coming from, if there was absolute certainty that someone was guilty of heinous, savage brutality, I would have no qualms about executing them for purely moral reasons.
I get where you are coming from. Like anything else though, the tolerance level is a continuum. You are at the "absolute certainty" end. I'm at some point less than that. I don't have any problem with elevating the threshold to something beyond "reasonable doubt". If we can do something more to ensure that we're only killing bad guys - let's have at it.

But not killing bad guys? No thanks.

That really isn't an example of the system working, that is an example of science proving that the system was broken in numerous instances.
I guess I just don't agree. The appeals process is in place to catch mistakes (since we know that SOME mistakes will be made). When the appeals process catches mistakes - that's a good thing. It's less good than not making the mistake in the first place, but still a good thing in context.

Given the fallability inherrent in the system (let's say we get it wrong 0.01% of the time -- which I think is a conservative estimate), I can't really identify why the benefits outweigh the risks.
For you, they probably don't. That's why we should vote on it.

Its not cost. There are numerous credible studies that indicate that the appeals process is more expensive than just locking them up and throwing away the key.
Fucking lawyers man. But we already struck a healthy compromise. If we catch you on tape - you get no appeals.

As someone else pointed out - in general it seems pretty bad form when death penalty opponents jack up the number and cost of appeals, and then whine about how expensive it is.

It costs less than $10 to actually execute someone. But I agree with you - in the current system, the lengthy appeals process is necessary to make sure we are killing the right guy or gal. So I'm ok with it being more expensive.

Its not safety. Locking them up protects the public almost as much as killing them does (prison breaks do happen, so killing them is a little more effective on that front, but escapes are so rare that I don't really factor them in much; plus, there is nothing to say that a prison break is any more or less likely during the years that the person is processing their appeals).
What's the repeat offender rate for murderers who are ultimately released? Is it non-zero? What's the repeat offender rate for murderers that are executed? Which is safer?

Your argument here presumes that the alternative to the death penalty is going to be life imprisonment without parole. I don't know that I agree with that.

However, as another possible compromise - perhaps we can work something out on this front. I'll trade in the death penalty for a life sentence in a 4 x 4 x 4 box that they are never allowed out of. And they only get to drink water and a basic, bland diet. No TV. No lifting weights. No getting butt raped. No butt raping. Just sit in your fucking box until you die.

At least then, if we find out that we fuct up, we could let you out of the box and give you a lifetime supply of Twinkies or something to smooth things over.

Would you agree to that? If so, then we're done.

Its not deterrence. This one is at least arguable, but I tend to buy the studies that say it has no deterring effect.
I've seen studies that say there is no deterrent effect. I've seen studies that say that every execution stops 8 innocent people from being murdered. WTF do I know?

I have problems with trying to address this question because I don't know how people are going to come out and say that they WOULD have committed murder if it wasn't for their fear of the death penalty.

I'm more than comfortable with the execution deterring one criminal from ever committing another crime.

I consider this to be the only really good argument advanced by the pro-death penalty camp, but on the whole, I find it unpersausive.
You are such a lawyer. :)

We don't need arguments. We have the numbers on our side. :)

I just think the death penalty loses whenever you do the math.
Of course it does, when you are weighting the variables according to your own biases.

Not unsurprisingly, when I do the math, the death penalty almost always wins.

We could have a cage match to decide whose opinion wins - or we can just leave it to the Legislatures and the people we elect to implement our will.

I understand that advocacy for your position is a good thing - in the long run, you might change enough minds to become the majority on this issue. That's cool. You don't persuade me, but I'm kind of a stubborn asshole about some things.

In the meantime, if the majority of the people in your state are on board with killing criminals for various crimes - let's just hope that they are killing the right people.

In this case, I think they got the right guy. So I'm ok with that if that's how you crazy Californians want to handle it.
Make up bags of change
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Let's use a different real world example: Brian Nichols from Atlanta.

Why shouldn't he be immediately removed/killed for the good of society? He killed four people outright in a matter of minutes while escaping justice. Why should society at large accept his presence at all anymore, or trust that he won't do the same again during another trip through the justice system?
There is no hug button. Sad!
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

killbot737 wrote:Let's use a different real world example: Brian Nichols from Atlanta.

Why shouldn't he be immediately removed/killed for the good of society? He killed four people outright in a matter of minutes while escaping justice. Why should society at large accept his presence at all anymore, or trust that he won't do the same again during another trip through the justice system?
There's a fundamental difference between being removed (life in prison) and killed. I don't think anyone is saying that Scott Peterson or Brian Nichols should walk free or only do some token amount of time. If they're guilty, put them away for life. What purpose is there in killing them?
- George Orwell
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

The Mad Hatter wrote:There's a fundamental difference between being removed (life in prison) and killed. I don't think anyone is saying that Scott Peterson or Brian Nichols should walk free or only do some token amount of time. If they're guilty, put them away for life. What purpose is there in killing them?
Is there some purpose to letting Brian Nichols live? I mean - we are pretty sure that he's guilty, right?

Kill him too.
Make up bags of change
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

RunningMn9 wrote:
The Mad Hatter wrote:There's a fundamental difference between being removed (life in prison) and killed. I don't think anyone is saying that Scott Peterson or Brian Nichols should walk free or only do some token amount of time. If they're guilty, put them away for life. What purpose is there in killing them?
Is there some purpose to letting Brian Nichols live?
Yes, there is. It's better that he spends the rest of his life rotting away in prison than that we give the state the right to kill its citizens. You pick out these sensational, "live on CNN" cases as if they're typical, but the reality is most death row offenders didn't shoot a judge in front of dozens of witnesses.
- George Orwell