Dark Souls -- Will I Like It?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

ezmate

Re: Dark Souls -- Will I Like It?

Post by ezmate »

Damn, I love this game!

I finally beat the Capra Demon! I tried to do it solo a few times, but finally decided to summon people to help. I'd help someone defeat him, get some humanity, run back to the bonfire, turn human, and give it a try with some friends. I only had to do this 3 times before I was successful!

I quietly made my way down into the cellar and really whopped up on some rats and a butcher before resting at a new bonfire. I honestly want to skip work to play this game....
Where I go, destruction will follow!
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

ezmate wrote:I honestly want to skip work to play this game....
I know that feeling. I'm looking forward to the weekend so I can make up some lost time from last weekend.

I finally got over my fear of being cursed and went back to the depths to whoop up on some basilisks. I'm ready for the Great Hollow now.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Inverarity wrote:I'm ready for the Great Hollow now.
No, you're not. ;)
Insert witty comment here.
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

It actually wasn't so bad. My +9 Halberd takes out Basilisks in one shot. And when I miss, the Crimson Robe armor provides enough curse protection that I'm safe. Even the mushroom folk were okay to deal with. The level itself is just frustrating because of the damn camera angles. I ended up getting bored with it and returned to the surface. Particularly after I saw what was waiting for me at the lake. And for old times sake, I lost 8500 souls when I fell off the wheel two times in a row.

I learned that those seemingly worthless Dung pies are actually worth quite a bit to the guy who eats all the items (back in Firelink). I fed enough of them to him to get an extra soul level. Now I'm level 46 and feeling like I will at least try Sens Fortress tomorrow night. Once I upgrade my longbow, that is.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

So I found myself at the bottom of Blight town suddenly with 4 or 5 baddies hot on my tail. I ran into the water... and ran... and ran.... low on life and scared.

I run right up against a rock throwing barbarian, turn on my heels, and run a different direction to get away from him. Finally, I happen upon a campfire in an alcove and light it. Safe for the moment.....

I plot my next move now. Probably into her lair and to the Second Bell beyond her.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Ok so that felt cheap.

I'm about to go fight Qualagg or whatever for the 6th or so time.... and I hit the wrong summon sign (not the NPC). So a real PC comes in....we go in... and she literally 3-shots the boss with sorcery spells. Boom. Fight over.

Wow that person was POWERFUL. Anyway... I made it all the way down the Great Hollow, killed the Hydra, and finished up Ash Lake. So then I made my way allllllll the way back up to Firelink.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

TiLT wrote:On the other hand, it's really easy to farm souls in this game. Once you open up the correct area, you can regain those souls in way less than 30 minutes. Here's how:
Spoiler:
Save up 20000 souls. Doesn't matter how. This is a one-time investment. Go to the smith in Undead Parish and purchase the key he sells for 20000 souls. Head down the stairs into the Darkwood Forest (run past the demon if it's still alive) and keep moving forward. Eventually you will find a glowing door. Unlock it using your key, but don't enter yet. To the left of this door is a piece of wall you can destroy with your weapon, revealing a bonfire. Rest here. Now enter the door you just unlocked and run directly forward into the forest, along the cliff to the left. You'll see a fallen log to your right. Stay on its right side and make a wide turn, eventually returning to the stairs. You'll have 2-3 pretty powerful human enemies on your tail at this point, one of them casting spells. Run to the right of the stairs along the cliff, hiding as far into the corner as you can get (at the spot where you're standing before a lethal drop on one side and a wall on the other. Stay there. The guys following you will jump off the stairs above you, land on your head (or not) and fall to their deaths below. Each one gives you 2000 souls. There are 3 such enemies in the close vicinity. If you run in the right path, you'll get all three at the same time, netting you a grand total of 6000 souls for a minute's work. Return to the bonfire and repeat until satisfied.

I'd check Youtube to see the exact path you might want to run if you're uncertain, but it's not hard and it's possible to find all kinds of ways to do this. Just remember that one of the three guys is cloaked and hard to see, so try not to let go of the sprint button too often. ;)

If you should happen to die here, you'll still be very, very close to the bonfire and should be able to regain your lost souls with ease.
Finally got enough money to try this.

Goddamn, that is a LOT of souls. I went from flying by the seat of my pants to having +3 armor and weapons, plus a +8 pyromancer's glove. The game is still damn hard, but I no longer am feeling like a third wheel in every coop adventure.

I will say this: Heavy armor + Iron Flesh = "Can't knock me down, bro." Extremely satisfying to finally be able to fight all of the skeletons out in the graveyard.
e1123

Post by e1123 »

Sen's fortress is overrun with invaders. Be careful if you choose to be human.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

e1123 wrote:Sen's fortress is overrun with invaders. Be careful if you choose to be human.
Got owned there due to this just today.
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

I have so little humanity that it doesn't matter to me. This seems to be a problem with my character - or the game - and I'm not sure how to resolve it. I used (wasted) a bunch of humanity early on, particularly down in Blighttown. I haven't picked up a single humanity (or even seen my "number" increase like it did early in the game) in over 10 hours of gameplay. I am well aware that you get humanity when you're summoned and help someone else, but I cannot get summoned. I doesn't matter where I put my summon sign, it never happens. In 40 hours of game play (closing in on 50) and countless attempts to be summoned, it's happened a grand total of once.

I've also tried farming humanity by killing rats (watched the youtube videos and everything) and I guess I'm unlucky or something, because I've killed 100+ rats and not one of them dropped humanity (and yes, I have the ring that improves item drops). I suppose I'll resign myself to playing on alone, but it would be nice to be able to summon an NPC. I wonder if a new character is the way to go....

Edit to add: I suppose I should go the route of buying humanity from the merchant lady in the depths. Hmmm. They're 6000 souls a pop, but it is a resolution.
e1123

Post by e1123 »

Inverarity wrote:I have so little humanity that it doesn't matter to me. This seems to be a problem with my character - or the game - and I'm not sure how to resolve it. I used (wasted) a bunch of humanity early on, particularly down in Blighttown. I haven't picked up a single humanity (or even seen my "number" increase like it did early in the game) in over 10 hours of gameplay. I am well aware that you get humanity when you're summoned and help someone else, but I cannot get summoned. I doesn't matter where I put my summon sign, it never happens. In 40 hours of game play (closing in on 50) and countless attempts to be summoned, it's happened a grand total of once.

I've also tried farming humanity by killing rats (watched the youtube videos and everything) and I guess I'm unlucky or something, because I've killed 100+ rats and not one of them dropped humanity (and yes, I have the ring that improves item drops). I suppose I'll resign myself to playing on alone, but it would be nice to be able to summon an NPC. I wonder if a new character is the way to go....

Edit to add: I suppose I should go the route of buying humanity from the merchant lady in the depths. Hmmm. They're 6000 souls a pop, but it is a resolution.
She actually only sells one. Maybe the game hates you because I have gotten about five off of rat kills without the ring. Keep in mind that you get a tiny amount for each kill as long as the stage boss is alive. I lost a boatload in Blighttown because my essence was lost. I only have four and about twelve sprites in reserve.
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

I did get a bunch of humanity from the rats earlier in the game; for whatever reason, I just can't seem to get more. Maybe there's a hard limit. I did end up using about 15 of them in Blighttown. Good point about the humanity coming from a location where the stage boss is alive. I finally got humanity during my run through Sen's Fortress.

Speaking of which, I took out the boss there tonight
Spoiler:
I loved fighting the Iron Golem. He was tough enough that it took me 4 tries, but it was done in a way that allowed me to figure out how best to fight him. I originally tried my usual weapon (halberd +10) and armor. Once that didn't work, I tried using resin to get lightning on it, but the halberd's range was still too narrow to be effective (and its strong attack too slow). I ended up using the Black Knight's greatsword and wearing no armor whatsoever, to keep my speed and dodge ability up. The greatsword was doing 300+ damage on each hit and with enough speed I was able to kill the golem in a minute or two. Great fight
Now it's on to the next stage, unless I decide to clear out Sen's first. I skipped over the bottom area after I saw what was down there. Now I'm feeling a bit more confident....

Edit to add: Confidence is the enemy of my success in Dark Souls. :grund:
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I'm still making slow-but steady progress, although I think I may be running out of steam.

To progress in the main story line, I need to beat the fat-and-skinny combo. I've helped someone else take them down, but haven't been able to get good help to take them out myself. But I've made good progress exploring many of the optional areas. Optional bBosses I've killed so far include:
Spoiler:
Havel the Rock
Pinwheel in the Catacombs
That big wolf in Darkroot Garden (looks cool, but I prefer Tales of Vesperia's wolf-with-a-sword-in-its-mouth)
Hydra in Darkroot Basin
Hydra in Ash Lake
Ceaseless Discharge (what a pain in the ass)
I joined the Darkmoon Blades to try a bit of PvP, but got my butt kicked every time. I think I'll stick to co-op and solo play, thanks.
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

I'm really enjoying Anor Londo and now, the Painted World. That part took me by surprise and since I'm a sucker for snow levels, I love it. Plus, I'm accumulating souls at a nice rate too, without using that garden soul-farming trick (not that there's anything wrong with that). There is an easy 4000 souls between the Sen's bonfire and the one in Anor Londo (roughly 10 minutes of work). Or stay in Sen's, backtrack a little and get 7000-10,000 in the same amount of time.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

My preferred farming spot is in Anor Londo, right next to the third bonfire.
Spoiler:
I just go into the room across the hall from the bonfire, use Soul Spear to one-shot the Silver Knight, and go back to the bonfire to re-spawn the knight. 900 souls each time, and it takes all of 12 seconds.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Dark Souls patch is supposed to hit today.

Here's a changelist as translated from the a Japanese player.

The only change I don't see that I would have wanted to read about it s a higher level range that it will match players in.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

ChrisGrenard wrote:Dark Souls patch is supposed to hit today.

Here's a changelist as translated from the a Japanese player.

The only change I don't see that I would have wanted to read about it s a higher level range that it will match players in.
I believe that's actually in this patch. None of the patch lists I've seen are complete, because they are all translations from Japanese, and even the original notes seem to lack details.
Insert witty comment here.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Based on my Dark Souls experience so far, I'm surprised that they provide patch notes at all. I expected
Dark Souls 1.04
Patch Notes

We have changed several things. Good luck.

Heh heh heh heh.
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

That's great. I can hear the bizarre laughter now.

Two nights ago I was invaded for the first time. It was awesome. While I was trying to equip the Lloyd's Talisman in a quick slot, he showed up faster than I thought he would and hit me with a massive blow from a dark knight great sword. I was practically done, but managed to hold on to fight him for several minutes before an ultimately win. The move that turned the fight for me? He was blocking all my halberd attacks, so I surprised him when I hit him with the Eagle Shield. That knocked him off-balance and I was able to get in a halberd thrust, forcing him to heal and giving me the time I needed to land the death blow.

Obviously, that means I was in human form, which is to say, my humanity problems are over (for now). Right when I start complaining about a lack of humanity, the game gives me the Painted World of Ariamis. This place is loaded with humanity drops. Plus, there are rats that drop humanity and I picked up another 4 in my humanity ticker (or whatever that is in the top left corner of the screen) simply by playing the level so many times (all of which I promptly lost, do to, um, "issues" with bird-people).

What a great level. Be warned, it's a one-way journey. Once you're in the level, there's only one way to get out of it. As a result, the game really gives you the feeling of survival. It's not just about completing a level which looks great (which it does). It's not just about collecting all the stuff in the level (of which there is a lot). It's about getting the hell out of there, which I finally did last night, without help from a guide or forum, after three days in the painting. Crazy awesome feeling.

...only to return to a place where there are 8 or so painted guards waiting to kill me. What do we say to the God of Death? Not today.
Last edited by Inverarity on Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

I was also in Painted last night. Fun place, but I *hate* those bird things.

I had two awesome and intense moments last night:

1) In Painted, I had just gotten the Dark Ember, then got killed by a birdman, losing all my 75,000 souls. I went back up to the same spot, and my level of intensity when fighting those birds was through the roof. Trying to get back to my body and not lose everything provided a level of motivation that is hard to describe.

2) After this, I went to take on the Great Gray Wolf Sif. I went into human form so I could summon help. Upon entering the forest, an invader showed up within 50 seconds. Spell caster with the ring so I couldn't target him. Well, I threw a short fit and then went, "NO. VICTORY SHALL BE MINE, FOREST GUARDIANS BE DAMNED!" I commenced to chase this guy around the entire forest, building up a train of 4-5 guys and a few trees following me as well. I wasn't about to let him pelt me with spells while I dealt with the minions, so I just never gave him an inch. Finally, he runs up past the cat and onto the bridge, where I catch him with a backstab that throws him off of the bridge and to his death. I then ran (still with the train on me!) to the end of the level, summoned another Sunbro and we ran into the boss fight and kicked Sif's butt with a hail of lightning spears.

Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

ChrisGrenard wrote:I was also in Painted last night. Fun place, but I *hate* those bird things.
I hate them for having taken so many of my souls & humanity, but now that I've figured them out, they aren't very challenging to fight...alone. In a group they're dangerous (which enemies aren't?), but by themselves they are weak except for that one move, which they telegraph. Also, I figured out that if you head up to the top of the annex, they'll all show up and because they're clumsy, many of them will fall off the stairs when trying to fight you (just make sure you don't too, he says to himself). It beats trying to fight them in the tower where there are a lot of narrow passageways. And being worth 900 souls a pop, they make great kills.
losing all my 75,000 souls
Holy cow. We either play the game very differently or you're much further along than me. Whenever I collect what I think is enough souls to allow me to level up, I return to a bonfire. I spend souls as soon as I am able, basically. As a result, I'm level 61 and not yet done with Anor Londo. And I've invested 70+ hours into the game, no doubt because of all the damn bonfire stops. I guess I'm gun shy after so many lost souls.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Inverarity wrote:
ChrisGrenard wrote:I was also in Painted last night. Fun place, but I *hate* those bird things.
I hate them for having taken so many of my souls & humanity, but now that I've figured them out, they aren't very challenging to fight...alone. In a group they're dangerous (which enemies aren't?), but by themselves they are weak except for that one move, which they telegraph. Also, I figured out that if you head up to the top of the annex, they'll all show up and because they're clumsy, many of them will fall off the stairs when trying to fight you (just make sure you don't too, he says to himself). It beats trying to fight them in the tower where there are a lot of narrow passageways. And being worth 900 souls a pop, they make great kills.
losing all my 75,000 souls
Holy cow. We either play the game very differently or you're much further along than me. Whenever I collect what I think is enough souls to allow me to level up, I return to a bonfire. I spend souls as soon as I am able, basically. As a result, I'm level 61 and not yet done with Anor Londo. And I've invested 70+ hours into the game, no doubt because of all the damn bonfire stops. I guess I'm gun shy after so many lost souls.
For cooperative play, it's optimal to not overlevel yourself. Thus, I am attempting to stay at 44 right now. Because of this I end up with a lot of souls until I can get back to a merchant to buy stuff.
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

Interesting. I hadn't thought to take that approach, but then I don't play much co-op. I have been summoned four times recently, all of them in the Painted World. In each of those four times I watched the player who summoned me die in some silly way (mainly at the hands of the birds). Without any way to heal on my own, I'm not supposed to be leading the way when I'm summoned, right?

On another subject, I feel like armor just isn't that important, except when it affects you negatively. I'm wearing black leather armor (+5) with a thief mask and it works for me better than something heavier.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Inverarity wrote:Interesting. I hadn't thought to take that approach, but then I don't play much co-op. I have been summoned four times recently, all of them in the Painted World. In each of those four times I watched the player who summoned me die in some silly way (mainly at the hands of the birds). Without any way to heal on my own, I'm not supposed to be leading the way when I'm summoned, right?

On another subject, I feel like armor just isn't that important, except when it affects you negatively. I'm wearing black leather armor (+5) with a thief mask and it works for me better than something heavier.
Heavy armor can grant poise which can be important against some types of enemies. Inability to be interrupted during big attacks can be huge.

Also, I play as a Warrior of Sunlight, which means I am all about cooperative play. Thus why I try and focus on it so much.
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

I have a ring that I use for upping my poise, and it seems sufficient. It's not that I don't like the heavier armor; it typically looks better than the lighter stuff. It's just that I hate the weight. When I get my endurance up to a point where I can wear the heavy stuff and use a shield and use a fairly heavy weapon, I'm in. Until then, I've found that being under 50% burden for equipment trumps all the benefits of heavy armor.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Inverarity wrote:I have a ring that I use for upping my poise, and it seems sufficient. It's not that I don't like the heavier armor; it typically looks better than the lighter stuff. It's just that I hate the weight. When I get my endurance up to a point where I can wear the heavy stuff and use a shield and use a fairly heavy weapon, I'm in. Until then, I've found that being under 50% burden for equipment trumps all the benefits of heavy armor.
Oh no doubt! Keep that number under 50% as best you can. Just saying that mixing in a few pieces of heavy armor to add to the poise is often beneficial, and on occasion you can get some major benefits with going super heavy. It just depends on the enemy types and your own weapons.
ezmate

Post by ezmate »

ChrisGrenard wrote:For cooperative play, it's optimal to not overlevel yourself. Thus, I am attempting to stay at 44 right now. Because of this I end up with a lot of souls until I can get back to a merchant to buy stuff.

Also, I play as a Warrior of Sunlight, which means I am all about cooperative play. Thus why I try and focus on it so much.
I'm also interested in cooperative play and joined the Warriors of Sunlight last night. Are there any guideline for what level you should be at various points in the game?

I'm currently level 27 and working on The Great Hollow and Quelagg's Domain. My only upgraded item is a +10 long sword and I've dabbled with some pyromancy, but think I'm about to start pushing up my Faith stats (currently only at 8 :? ) since the Faith spells seem more to my liking.

I heard that helping with the Gargoyle fight can help you get in better standing with the Warriors of Sunlight, but I sat there for 30 minutes last night & never got summoned.
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

Wanting some extra humanity I put down my summons sign twice last night, both times at the bottom of the long staircase in Anor Londo, and both times I helped the player defeat the area boss. Good times! My first successes in co-op. I'm level 62 if that helps you. I was in the high thirties, low forties for quelaag, though i think that was too high as i never got summoned.

I definitely see the appeal of co-op even as a single player kind of guy.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

ezmate wrote:
ChrisGrenard wrote:For cooperative play, it's optimal to not overlevel yourself. Thus, I am attempting to stay at 44 right now. Because of this I end up with a lot of souls until I can get back to a merchant to buy stuff.

I'm also interested in cooperative play and joined the Warriors of Sunlight last night. Are there any guideline for what level you should be at various points in the game?

I'm currently level 27 and working on The Great Hollow and Quelagg's Domain. My only upgraded item is a +10 long sword and I've dabbled with some pyromancy, but think I'm about to start pushing up my Faith stats (currently only at 8 :? ) since the Faith spells seem more to my liking.

I heard that helping with the Gargoyle fight can help you get in better standing with the Warriors of Sunlight, but I sat there for 30 minutes last night & never got summoned.
Here's a decent guide, but there aren't any hard and fast rules on this.
ezmate

Post by ezmate »

Well, based on the guidelines for levels/areas, I guess I've been under-powered all along. Tonight, I remedied that:

I helped a lot of people kill Quelaag tonight. We succeeded 6 times and each time, I was given 10,000 souls! (is that normal? I swear when I helped kill the Capra demon, I was getting less than 1,000) I was able to push my faith all the way up to 20 so I can finally use the lightning spear - which helps a ton against that spider bitch! In addition, I killed about 3-4 different invading phantoms (which isn't nearly as scary when it's 3 vs. 1).

Oh, and putting your summon sign at the bonfire is definitely the best way to get summoned - previously, I was putting my signs right before the boss...

So, I'm sitting on 40,000 souls and 6 humanity at level 39 (up in a single evening from 27). Tomorrow, I'll reverse my hollowing and take on Quelaag myself (with some help, of course!). Before I do that, though, I need to figure out where I want to put my points - I figure I can probably get 3 levels out of that, but I'll be damned if I know what the best thing to do with it is. Attunement slots and upgrading my bow are where I'm leaning right now....

I know I've said it before, but DAMN this game is fun!
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

I think we're making vastly different character types, but in case you're interested, I have Vitality 15, Endurance 37, Strength 36, Dexterity 25 and Attunement at 10 (for exactly 1 pyro spell slot). My other stats are the defaults for the Bandit build. This is at soul level 70 or 71.

I made my +10 Halberd a Lightning Halberd and I'm kind of regretting it. Not only is the lightning noise obnoxious, but the weapon has lost the strength and dexterity modifiers. On easier enemies it does more damage, but on some of the tougher ones it seems to do less (like silver knights). Or maybe it's just time for me to find a new weapon to enjoy. I feel like I used the Drake Sword for the bulk of the game's unofficial Act I (the ringing of the bells). I've used the Halberd for the bulk of the unofficial Act II (the Lord Vessel) and now that I'm on to the unofficial Act III, maybe it's time for a change.

On that note, I completed Anor Londo tonight (with help from two other players), joined the covenant of the great cleavage and even got revenge on Lautrec. A good night all around. The Sen's Fortress / Anor Londo journey was as good as anything in the game up to this point (as good or better than the Undead Burg & Parish, and certainly better than the Depths & Blighttown).

Now I'm off to complete some of the optional levels that I've only partially played: The Darkroot levels, the Great Hollow and Ash Lake.
Spoiler:
I wasn't sure what to expect with the Lautrec fight, so once I found that his team was tough to take down as a whole, I ended up running them around the place to get some separation. I must hae completed seven or eight laps around the room (up and down the stairs), including two changes in direction, just to get them isolated. Overall, a really fun fight
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

So, Tomb of the Giants:
Spoiler:
The Tomb of the Giants was not as horrible as its reputation had led me to believe. This is probably because I had the Light spell, which makes the whole area significantly more tolerable. Don't underestimate the value of actually being able to see things that are more than 5 feet away. Also, by this point in the game I've really gotten comfortable with dying over and over again. I don't really worry about losing souls at all any more -- there are always more to be had.

Gravelord Nito wasn't too bad, although thank goodness he moves so slowly. After a couple of failed attempts, I used a divine +5 club to take out the skeletons in his tomb, while he slowly shuffled in my direction. With them out of the way, I was able to mop him up quickly using Soul Spear + Homing Soulmass (I'm a sorcerer with Int around 40).
That said, I don't think I'll be going back any time soon.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

AWS260 wrote:So, Tomb of the Giants:
Spoiler:
The Tomb of the Giants was not as horrible as its reputation had led me to believe. This is probably because I had the Light spell, which makes the whole area significantly more tolerable. Don't underestimate the value of actually being able to see things that are more than 5 feet away. Also, by this point in the game I've really gotten comfortable with dying over and over again. I don't really worry about losing souls at all any more -- there are always more to be had.

Gravelord Nito wasn't too bad, although thank goodness he moves so slowly. After a couple of failed attempts, I used a divine +5 club to take out the skeletons in his tomb, while he slowly shuffled in my direction. With them out of the way, I was able to mop him up quickly using Soul Spear + Homing Soulmass (I'm a sorcerer with Int around 40).
That said, I don't think I'll be going back any time soon.
As a priest class, I envy you. No light spells to be had, the only way I can do that area is to either level to 55+ and get a helmet in a tough area or study Youtube videos on how to navigate the path to the torch item.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I've been playing this in short spurts so I just got to Anor Londo last night. Level 41 I believe. Finally got rid of the Drake sword and I'm now running around with a +2 lightning spear. Not really my cup of tea, but it works really well until I can find or upgrade me a nice sword.

Londo is AMAZING looking and I'm really digging the layout of it. I think I might shelve the game until the patch is released though. Getting anything multiplayer going is unpossible. They didn't release it did they? I didn't get any notification through the 360 anytime recently...
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

The 1.05 patch, which fully fixes multiplayer, is currently out in Japan. It is expected to roll out to US and Europe within the next 2 weeks, but nobody has heard an exact date.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Cool I thought it wasn't fixed yet. I think the simple fact that you can easily recommend messages with the update will make a huge difference. People don't seem to comment on messages and I think it's because it's so annoying how you have to do it now.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Nice! I'm going to play Skyrim until the patch drops. It's going to be rough. ;) I love this game, but the multiplayer is totally borked right now. I almost never even see ghosts running around. In Demon Souls I would see them all the time.

ezmate

Post by ezmate »

Wow! That is fantastic news! Unlike Octavious, I don't think I can quit the game, though...

On Friday, I had a blast playing multi-player: I got summoned into Darkroot Basin and the guy who summoned me was a beast - he had a full stone armor set and could tank almost anything. I switched to light armor (under 25% load) & would help out by running down and engaging the invading phantoms until he could catch them - we killed 20+ people before he had to go back to a bonfire & reload. I think I earned 80k souls in that time! It sure made for a nice diversion to my 20-30 failed attempts on Sif!

I can't believe how much I love this game! Was Demon Souls this good?
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

ezmate wrote:
Wow! That is fantastic news! Unlike Octavious, I don't think I can quit the game, though...

On Friday, I had a blast playing multi-player: I got summoned into Darkroot Basin and the guy who summoned me was a beast - he had a full stone armor set and could tank almost anything. I switched to light armor (under 25% load) & would help out by running down and engaging the invading phantoms until he could catch them - we killed 20+ people before he had to go back to a bonfire & reload. I think I earned 80k souls in that time! It sure made for a nice diversion to my 20-30 failed attempts on Sif!

I can't believe how much I love this game! Was Demon Souls this good?
It was better in the summoning aspect, but that is going to be fixed soon enough! After that, I think I can firmly declare that Dark Souls is a better and more refined game.

Plus, I am astounded at how big the world is. I'm finally essentially in Act 3, and the game world just is massive on all sides.