Cryptic's Neverwinter morphs into a MMO and goes F2P

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

silverjon

Re: Cryptic's Neverwinter morphs into a MMO and goes F2P

Post by silverjon »

KDH wrote:regarding expenditures for professions ... I do believe that you can use assets till the cows come home .. and .. still sell them back to the AH (or am I mistaken?) ... anyhow, if true, would help with buyer's remorse .. they can definitely be passed around between characters
They do not bind (except the seasonal crafting persons). People often buy assets to unlock slots and then resell them afterwards. This does mean they are also vulnerable to theft in the case of account hacks. All the profession assets I own could be resold at a profit over what I bought them at with the probable exception right now of the Alchemy stuff, and once those packs go, the price on them will go up again.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

silverjon wrote:With three purple alchemy tools and an extra blue crucible (bonus, crucibles are also used in artificing), it's easy to just whack out a few batches of lowbie potions or dyes until one generates the max quantity.
Oh. LOL! I thought you needed to get dragon eggs and other expensive reagents, then wait for a blue task to show up, then cross your fingers that you get a rank 3 epic sword/shirt/pants/whatever instead of the rank 1 or 2.

You're saying that even low end alchemy recipes can generate a "perfect" result? I may need to check out some prof asset prices.

Also, if the Zen exchange is going up, I've probably had some standing sell offers trigger while here at work. That'll be good for a little profit.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Rare alchemy tasks are the class dyes, which result in 2/4/6 dyepacks, and batches of potions, which mostly result in 6/8/10 potions (it's 3/5/7 or something like that for the special ones like stamina). So the max quantity is your rank 3 result. None of these require special materials, and they all have tiered results. The minor and lesser batches are really short duration tasks too. The other nice thing is that "failure" only means you get less of the thing you were making, not a truly inferior item.

Unless you're going to go all-in with gemmed pants and shirt crafting for sale, I don't recommend getting epic tools for anything else, and the market for that is fairly saturated anyway, requires expensive materials, and is at the mercy of RNG since you cannot get 100% chance of success even with all epic tools. I'm waiting for a crafter I know to finish up my tunics'n'trousers order so I can trade him with my accumulated dragon eggs I was never going to use, which makes us both happy with the deal.

I have some blue hammers which are multi-purpose, and a blue file and two grindstones, which together with my alchemy stuff are enough that I can get 100% chance of success on the Fomorian and Fallen Dragon weapons. These tasks have an extra tool slot, so you can get to 100% without needing any epic tools at all.

I've got a few green tools as well, and used to make some pretty decent money making non-gemmed rare shirts to sell, but it's not really worth it right now. (Hmm, I lie. GWF stuff has gone up again... guess the GWFs aren't bothering making their own right now.) Occasionally, there would be no fancy leather shirts on the AH at all - the highest level of green ones - and I'd sell them almost as fast as I could crank them out, all the while levelling my leatherworking. That hasn't really been worth the time or resources in a while either.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Zen is on sale, and keys are on sale. Grrr. That means you get keys for significantly less $ amounts than normal, since it's a double discount. Buying them in 10's increases the savings as well.

I don't buy a lot of keys, but I do buy some. I like the gambling aspect. This might get me to put some more money in. If you keep the zen in your PWE account, you can use it for other games besides NWO, like STO. Once you transfer the zen into NWO, it's there to stay.

Also, I sold 500 zen at 439 and 1000 zen at 449 yesterday, which wasn't bad and pretty close to the peak I think. Not sure what it is today, I'm at work for once on a Saturday.

So some small profit there.

Now I have to decide on a mount, if any. I like the look of the regular, barded horses, so I'm probably just buy the cheapest of those. Maybe. If I can pry some AD/Zen loose for my iron grip. Was hoping for more than 20% off. :P
KDH

Post by KDH »

:horse: I'm tempted to buy keys! .. the first time for me. I had 1275 zen, I kept exactly enough to buy a ten-pack (956) and sold my remaining zen (319 .. :roll: lol) at the 433 AD mark netting over 138K

now, I'm tempted to scrap the key idea and sell my remaining zen .. since I've not been the luckiest of folks :ugeek:

does anybody know if there will be a new lockbox for ICEWIND .. and, if so, will it drop everywhere?
Ain't nobody got time for that
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Details up for the post-60 advancement system

When Module 3 goes live, players who have hit level 60 will continue to gain experience points just as they would prior to hitting the level cap. Once you accumulate 250,000 XP you will get an Experience Reward that can contain: Enchants, Refinement Items, account Bound XP Scrolls, Rough AD, and Power Points.

For first time we are giving you a chance to add extra Power Points to your character’s Power Tree. This is the only way to get extra power points; however you will only be able to get a maximum of 20 power points through Experience Rewards.

Once you hit the 250,000 XP mark, the experience bar will reset allowing you to work towards gaining another 250,000 experience points to claim even more rewards.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

KDH wrote:does anybody know if there will be a new lockbox for ICEWIND .. and, if so, will it drop everywhere?
They will change the lockbox. We're already relatively certain that there will be a black ice shaping profession pack and a new artifact (Hammer of Gond).

Except during "lockbox resurgence" events (where all past boxes randomly drop again), there is only one active lockbox dropping worldwide. I did forget to mention that there will be people buying keys now to save to use on the new boxes.
wot?

Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Free green companion and other crap being given away by GameSpot until Monday
KDH

Post by KDH »

I've noticed some AH expiration dates indicating, for example, 5days-10hrs (right NOW, in the Iron-Crucible lowest-bid sorting) ... is the auction duration being nuanced as part of upcoming content? ... Does Icewind have its own AH and postal clerks, or do you still need to return to Prot-Encl.™

The GREEN pet mentioned by Exodor can be redeemed on all characters .. and, most importantly .. does not snore or yawn

edited: for snoring + yawning
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

There will be mail in Kaer-Conig (sp?). Auction house can be accessed anywhere through the broker, who has not taken an increased percentage in quite some time.

As for end-times, no idea why some would display like that.
wot?

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Exodor wrote:Free green companion and other crap being given away by GameSpot until Monday
Thanks for the heads up.

edit: Got it. +55 power, +55 recovery. Not bad.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Spent about 400k on Alchemy assets so I can start getting the speed slot and hopefully the rank 3 slot too.

I think I did pretty good for a skinflint. My therapist gave me a hug. :P

edit: actually closer to 450k.

The Grandmasters are going for around 29k (I bought 4. holy cheap batman) and the stone, crucible and mortar are about 100k each. I'm not even sure how these work except that they improve your chances of a higher ranking result.

Now to start the process of getting 10 characters through enough alchemy to open the speed slot and the rank 3 slot. Gonna be awhile, since some of them haven't even started alchemy yet.

Edit2: Ok, got the speed slot using 2 Grandmasters on the rank 1 -> rank 2 job. That was easy. Next.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

I ended up buying 40 green alchemists from someone in trade chat for 4 gold each (cutting a deal for buying bulk), and am now engaged in smushing them together. They'll end up being my first epic craftsmen. I know the numbers don't come out precise, but wanted to be sure I had room for the trade. Enough are consumed now that I'll probably get more if I see the same seller.

Also traded some of my excessively huge stock of gold for a lesser Bloodtheft Lifedrinker enchant to help out a friend. It's not an especially good weapon enchantment, but it's something to replace a normal Bilethorn I need to steal from one of my second-stringers to make a greater. I'm about 60 peridots away from finishing the refinement to do the upgrade. I really wish I'd jumped on more deals on Bilethorn when it was unpopular. My first weapon enchant ever was a lesser Bilethorn and I've always liked it.

My other friend let me know that all the gemmed underclothes I ordered were ready, so we made that trade. I'm tickled to have something in exchange for the dragon eggs I've gotten from events. I can put anyone else interested in that kind of trade in touch.

I've decided it's time to start working on getting Silverjon a 4-piece Profound set, which means I actually have to do my PvP dailies. One of my guildies is always happy to have someone to play some matches with though, so we had some fun with that yesterday... win some, lose some. I think my favorite moment was getting punted off the enemy home point, right onto the nearest healing potion, which I rather needed at that moment. Silv holds up pretty decently since I have him in the basic TR PvP gear and slotted for loads of hitpoints (a big health pool is one key to not having an awful time in PvP). Time to swap out the rank 8 silvery enchants from my guardian fighter's defense slots though... Silv's cat contributes a fair bit to his recovery in PvE, and stealth builds rely on it. It'll be nice to earn him a Raven Skull artifact too. I'm actually looking forward to running a few matches a day for a while.

I am finished Dread Ring boons on all characters as of the past weekend, and can finish Sharandar on another tonight. The final stragglers, I'll probably just get their weekly reservoir quest in until Mod 3, since they're far from even getting the third Sharandar boon, nevermind finishing. At least the dailies for seeds, etc. will go into their post-60 experience bucket that way.
Last edited by silverjon on Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wot?

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yeah, I saw that green alchemist seller. He'd been hawking his wares for at least a week, if I remember correctly. He started out asking for 6 gold per, I think.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Yeah, lockbox churner. They have to find something to do with the bad prizes, and the alchemists finally fell low enough for me to go for it.

I thought about buying men at arms for gold when it was leadership packs, but they never got quite that rock-bottom, and I didn't have as much gold at the time either (and wasn't faced with an easy way to consolidate it shortly).
wot?

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I don't have a huge amount of gold, but nothing much in the game uses gold, so I should probably start thinking along your lines as well.

I think my highest gold dude is about 300 gold. Most are in the 200 gold range. Some of my more recent characters are sitting at about 100 gold.

I'm not comfortable until I have at least 100 gold, but after that I don't pay much attention.
KDH

Post by KDH »

Icewind ... Dungeon Delve Keys ... Image
Tired of missing out on the Dungeon Delve Chests? Finding it difficult to get a group together when the Dungeon Delve event is running? Sometimes the timing of the Dungeon Delve Event can be a bit inconvenient, which is why we will be introducing Dungeon Delve Keys with Module 3: Curse of Icewind Dale.

Neverwinter Dungeons and Epic Dungeons all contain a bonus reward chest with the final encounter which players can only access when the Dungeon Delves event is running. With the new Dungeon Delve Key system, players will be able to unlock the chest even when the event is not running.

Players can acquire a free key from the Dungeon Key Master located near the entrance to the Seven Suns Coster Market in Protector’s Enclave. Players can only receive one of these keys a day, and will be bound to the character. However, players can purchase more keys through the NPC using astral diamonds.

`·.¸¸.·´´``··._.·`·.¸¸.·´´``··._.·`·.¸¸.·´´``··._.·`·.¸¸.·´´``··._.·

What happens to the keys when the Dungeon Delve Event is running? These keys cannot be used when the dungeon delve event is running. During the event the dungeon chests will open without the need of a key just like it normally would.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Oh, nice! I thought the keys were replacing the dungeon delves. They are in addtion to.

So for those playing all day (saturday, day off, whatever) you can get up to 4 (free) DD chests. And if you want to pay, more. Given that they almost always make the keys cost more than any potential reward is worth, I don't see anyone buying keys unles they've got money to burn.

Has anyone bought an extra key for the mini-dungeons in Sharandar or Dread Ring? If so, why?
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Even after those purchases, I have between 600 and 800 gold on all but my two youngest characters. It's a side-effect of the Leadership grinding.
wot?

silverjon

Post by silverjon »

I bought an extra key in Dread Ring once when I started because I forgot a gauntlet, thought having an unused one around would mess things up with the quest to improve them, and most importantly didn't know that you could enter a lair as long as you were partied with someone with an active quest. It was... unnecessary.

When the refinement system was introduced, greater marks of foo could be sold for more than the cost of a key, so there was that. But the price of easily farmed refinement stuff keeps falling, so no point to that now.

People might have bought dark fey keys early on for similar reasons, wanting to farm terror shards or something, I don't know. Or due to not knowing how to keep getting a daily free one whether you do any questing or not. I have way too many of those keys. Been making a bit of headway on using them up, but still way too many.

With regard to the dungeon key, I believe the price on preview is 5000AD for an epic dungeon key. If that ends up being the live price, they're potentially worth using in T2s for extra chances at your set pieces if the RNG is cruel. Only the T1 accessories you can get in the chest are worth substantially less than the key, though bound random T1 set pieces do require you to be able to recoup the cost by refining salvage.

In practice, I suspect the free one per day means that my guildies will end up being able to finish T2 sets slightly faster than while bound to the event (if we're reasonably organized, we can run 2 dungeons with the event active pretty easily, but more often we just do one run), and perhaps more important than that, it will be easier to pull a party together with some of our European members whose playtime only tends to overlap on weekends.

Some of us might also use them running MC/VT during not-DD, when we don't need to prioritize people who haven't got their T2 sets yet.
wot?

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

silverjon wrote:Even after those purchases, I have between 600 and 800 gold on all but my two youngest characters. It's a side-effect of the Leadership grinding.
If you ground out 800 gold using leadership, I do NOT want to know how much AD you've got :D
Last edited by GreenGoo on Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

silverjon wrote: Or due to not knowing how to keep getting a daily free one whether you do any questing or not.
I do not know this. Do tell.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

GreenGoo wrote:
silverjon wrote:Even after those purchases, I have between 600 and 800 gold on all but my two youngest characters. It's a side-effect of the Leadership grinding.
If you ground out 800 gold using leadership, I do NOT want to know how much AD you've got :D
Well, I spend it... so hard to say. I own a lot of nice things.

Re: How to get a dark fey key just for showing up
Basically, you need to have at least one active quest in your journal for one of the lairs. When just getting started, if you don't do Gnarlroot, you can keep picking up keys. When you have two areas open, you can do either lair as long as you don't finish both on the same day, etc. Without an active quest, you need to do three dailies in an area to have it offered again. But if you do Celadaine and turn it in, there's nothing stopping you from running it daily (or as many times as you have key backlog like me), as long you don't finish Witch Fen too, for example.
wot?

KDH

Post by KDH »

:horse: re: the plethora of cheap, tawdry, alchemists

as silverjon alluded to previously

from the nw-forums
Is it just me or are there way way way to many alchemist boxes in the chests. I am so sick of getting them and I'm wondering has anyone else noticed it. I opened 40 boxes and got 32 alchemist, WTF is up with that. Isn't there some kind of balance to how many of one thing over another. What I mean is why can't I get more planer idols and why is it a crap ton of alchemist. I don't even use alchemist, what about the other trades, you don't get those at all. Last night I seen in chat someone got 6 beetle mounts in a row at the same time and all I get is these stupid alchemist boxes which are crap.

had I actually bought keys, that would be ME posting that .. and I use alchemy
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

The RNG is streaky. If you don't like what your lockboxes are spitting out at the moment, STOP, and try again later.

As for "what about the other trades?"... open a lockbox with a different kind of profession pack in it. "Alchemy special pack" kind of implies that it is very likely to contain alchemists. Dimwit.

I bought some keys, but I'm going to sit on most of them and see what the new boxes bring.
wot?

KDH

Post by KDH »

:pop: Module 3 Preview: Black Ice Gear

a sneak peak at armor + weaponry ... with some curious verbage associated with it
Soon after the dwarf craftsman Baerick Hammerstone first discovered the mysterious substance known as black ice, he learned the secret of shaping the strong glass-like material. The powerful substance was then forged into weapons and armor giving them great power. The corruption of black ice has made surviving in Icewind Dale ever more challenging, which is why adventurers must equip themselves with Black Ice Gear.

Corrupted and Purified Black Ice gear not only features the unique aesthetics of the new substance, but is also very powerful. Additionally Corrupted and Purified armor sets offer slightly different stats so chose wisely before deciding on which armor set to build out. Each set of armor will also bring resistance to Black Ice Damage, which will aid you in your adventurers throughout Icewind Dale.

Black Ice gear can also be empowered using black ice. Players gather, giving the gear a temporary stat boost. Over time the empowerment will deplete, but players can continue to empower the gear with black ice to ensure the stat boosts will remain.
Enlarge Image
Odin

Post by Odin »

Yeah, you'll need to gather both Black Ice as well as certain other materials (which seem to be somewhat uncommon if not rare) - think of them sort of like arcane shards. Then you forge your Black Ice gear using the profession (which appeared to me to be somewhat challenging to level up, even though there are only three levels. I don't recall why, just that it wasn't worth the effort to mess with it on the preview shard). The craftsmen are bound, if I remember right, and it takes a craftsmen to hire a second craftsman, so if you want to have two then you'll have zero for a while. Then, once you've gathered your black ice, and refined your black ice, and crafted your gear, you then can (somehow - I didn't actually do it) slap some more black ice (refined, I presume, but I don't know) onto your gear to empower it, but that will wear off. You'll then need to slap on some more to get the power back, which ensures a non-stop need to farm black ice. And the best place to find the black ice? In the PVP arena. Or the Remorhaz lair. You can find it scattered around other parts of the zone, but the biggest concentrations are definitely those two spots, at least in the first zone. I never got past that.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Here's a tip that I'm not sure everybody knows about. I stumbled on it by accident a couple months ago - it wasn't in the original release. Anyway, be sure you're hitting up the "Sword Coast Adventures" section of the gateway for each character each day. Once a day, when you first visit, it will roll a d20 and give you a result. The lower results (1-3, or thereabouts) give you some coins, then you'll get "tomes of companion experience" at slightly higher results. The middle results yield blue-quality magic items appropriate to your level (I think), and the upper-range results (starting around 15, I believe) yield one or more of three different packs - a potions pack, a professions pack, and a refining pack. A natural 20 yields all three.

You won't get wealthy off any of this stuff, but it's free and it only takes a second, so it's worth doing.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

When the Adventures first came out, I played around with it on my phone/tablet. I was sick and in bed so it gave me something to do. It was during a CTA so it was giving out the CTA marks, which was about the only interesting part of it (aside from the concept, which is cool).

I will check out the d20 roll you mentioned. Thanks for the heads up!
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Odin wrote:Once a day, when you first visit, it will roll a d20 and give you a result

you'll get "tomes of companion experience" at slightly higher results.
I do this every day on all my characters.

Note that the Tome of Companion experience is BOE and generally sells for ~2500 AD on the auction house. Not bad for 5 seconds of "work".
Odin

Post by Odin »

Exodor wrote:Note that the Tome of Companion experience is BOE and generally sells for ~2500 AD on the auction house. Not bad for 5 seconds of "work".
Yeah, it's a nice little boost. I currently have about 150 of those tomes stacked up, which means either ~375k AD or a nice quick zip through the levels for my next serious companion (most likely the Angel from the Vault of Piety, that my original character can collect in a couple of weeks).
KDH

Post by KDH »

re: swordcoast adventures ..

you can also trigger the tutorial .. the tutorial is easy, naturally, and it gives you a companion, a Damaran Sheppard (natural buff: critical strike? benefits your other pets when active)

unfortunately using a new character with open pet slots doesn't seem to work, and the game will give a second one to a character that already has one ... (SOLD, to the gentleman in the hat for 8 copper) .. 'tis bound, yes
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Re: Black Ice gear and crafting
The empowered buff timer is supposed to only count down while you are in combat, so not while offline and not even while putzing around in town. Also, it's not like your armor is broken with the buffs worn off, just not uber-juiced-up.

(Edit: With regard to the farming and refining of black ice, *supposedly* what can be done by a regular player who stays out of PvP should be good enough to keep you supplied. They've increased the amount of black ice in the PvP zones in response to feedback indicating that what was dropping initially wasn't actually worth the risk involved in getting it.)

The crafting is levelled up through the campaign, so not likely all that easy to do if you're not actively playing through the campaign (unlike other set-and-forget professions).

Re: Sword Coast Adventures
Yeah, free stuff is nice. I buzz through my dice rolls in the morning after going through and setting all my tasks.
The items are green and level-appropriate for characters under 60. The refining and profession bags scale to the level of the character who generated them, whereas the potion pack scales to the level of the character that opens it.

The "my first adventure" that generates the Damaran shepherd should be completable on every character, as long as you have the tutorial turned on (individual setting). Characters that have not completed the tutorial cannot do special event SCA challenges (like CtA). The tutorial only shows up on the same character multiple times because it occasionally bugs out and forgets you've done it.
wot?

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Has anyone noticed that you can "buy" multiple frost mage companions from the last promo? Is this as designed or a bug? I thought it was 1 per character, but I have 3 on one character, and they don't appear to be account or character bound.
Odin

Post by Odin »

GreenGoo wrote:Has anyone noticed that you can "buy" multiple frost mage companions from the last promo? Is this as designed or a bug? I thought it was 1 per character, but I have 3 on one character, and they don't appear to be account or character bound.
I had noticed that my characters appeared to be able to buy more than one, though I didn't actually try it. Not sure if that's a bug or working as intended.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Are you sure they're not character-bound? (None on the AH right now.)

If they're not, they weren't like that when I picked up the ones I have, though I did notice I could take more than one. It's not working as intended... you should only be able to pick up one of any type of account unlock companion per character.

There was an illusionist promo companion that also has had the claim infinitely bug ever since it was first available for pickup, but they've been properly character-bound the whole time as far as I know, so it matters little. Even if you name more than one, you can't have multiples active at once.

Now, the whole thing around the promotional ioun stone of radiance was that after a patch one week, these became BoE rather than BoP. I'm not sure if you could only claim one at a time, but people exploiting it were loading up guild banks with them, which means that even when the stones were patched back to being BoP, all the exploiters have to do is invite a buyer to guild to pick up their purchase.
wot?

Odin

Post by Odin »

I just checked - the Mystagogue is definitely BoP, character-bound, unsellable, and you can't even have more than one of them active at a time. So while you can technically get as many as you want, more than one is useless.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ah, right. I remember one of the early promos (not the illusionist. The Frost Archer?) letting you pick up as many pets as you want, in case you delete it by accident or whatever. Not sure why I think it's not bound. Will double check and toss the extras tonight.

Sorry about that.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

All account-unlock companions should be possible to get again if you don't have one on you. You just shouldn't be able to take multiples at a time, for all the good it does you anyway as long as they are BoP.
wot?

Odin

Post by Odin »

I just want to reiterate that it's total bullshit losing Split Shot. There are only three at-will powers for the HR, which means if you ditch Split Shot, you're left with Electric Shot and Aimed Shot. ES is basically fine, but it does so little damage that you can't kill anything with it. AS actually does decent damage (comparable to or more than Split Shot, except it only hits one target), but it has a casting time and if you take ANY damage it's wrecked. So you can basically only get off one shot before whatever you're attacking is on top of you. Which means switching to your melee weapons a lot more. I'm actually spec'd for melee, but I still hardly ever use it (currently) because it takes so damn long to kill anything. Gah. Talk about nerfed into oblivion - I really, really liked this character, too.