We Are ... Horrified

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Unagi

Re: We Are ... Horrified

Post by Unagi »

No, I mean, in contrast to Greengoo’s prioritizing other concerns before this - this being a more prominent priority for you two, I just wonder what actual things you guys do that effect it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Unagi wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:37 pm No, I mean, in contrast to Greengoo’s prioritizing other concerns before this - this being a more prominent priority for you two, I just wonder what actual things you guys do that effect it.
Why is that relevant to the argument? The idea that only front-lines fighters on any issue have a right to a say is bull.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

If you're being genuine, I haven't done much in honesty. It's more of a broader philosophical stance (but an ardent one) for me than it is a specific, active cause. I tend to support political parties and candidates that favour prison reform, but the state of prisons in Canada may not be exactly the same as far as I'm aware, and I admit I haven't specifically sought out the issue when analyzing platforms. But it is something I'm conscious of.

I'm not doing particularly well in life at the moment (though I'm grateful for my privileges), so I don't have or make a lot of time to devote to changing the world. In as far as that's in my control, I feel shame. But I don't think you have to directly work on something to be "part of the solution", so to speak. Awareness and discourse are part of change. E.g. if you told me you were against pelvic exams performed under anesthesia without consent I wouldn't find your opinion invalid just because you're not protesting every saturday outside teaching hospitals that perform them.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:45 pm
Unagi wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:37 pm No, I mean, in contrast to Greengoo’s prioritizing other concerns before this - this being a more prominent priority for you two, I just wonder what actual things you guys do that effect it.
Why is that relevant to the argument? The idea that only front-lines fighters on any issue have a right to a say is bull.
That isn't "the idea" that I am making - so you can relax.

I'm suggesting that perhaps you and Greengoo (and Sudy, and me) are all equally effective as one another in this crusade. I'm sure Greengoo is all for this stuff not happening, he just has said it's not really given a lot of his bandwidth. You have said some things like "shrugging implies Greengoo thinks it's OK" - when I think he simply implied that he can't make this a top concern of his when he has such a vast array of other serious things to also be concerned about.

Anyhow, I can see that I'm now on the trolly-tracks here, so I will step off.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Sudy wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:54 pm If you're being genuine, I haven't done much in honesty. It's more of a broader philosophical stance (but an ardent one) for me than it is a specific, active cause. I tend to support political parties and candidates that favour prison reform, but the state of prisons in Canada may not be exactly the same as far as I'm aware, and I admit I haven't specifically sought out the issue when analyzing platforms. But it is something I'm conscious of.
That would probably sum up my actual efforts as well... and yet I could also have characterized my position in very similar ways that GreeGoo did, so you can maybe see where I'm coming from here.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I don't think we're going to come to a real agreement here. I do feel that saying, "Oh, well - bad things happen to bad people" (and I'm paraphrasing rather than quoting individuals on purpose) communicates - intentionally or not - that bad things happening to bad people isn't a problem when it happens.

And I disagree that it isn't a problem. And I do think it is a problem when that sentiment is communicated.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

As an aside, speaking up when one sees something going on is a form of taking action. Admittedly, it isn't exactly 'activism', but it's more than 'thoughts and prayers.'
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bad things happening to anyone is a problem. I don't celebrate that Nasser got stabbed. but I'm not going to feel bad that he got stabbed. Nor am I going to feel bad that I don't feel bad.

Our prison system is shit. The fact that for-profit prison systems exist is a travesty. The involuntary servitude carve-out in the 13th amendment is a human rights violation.

But alas, my ability to impact these issues is as close to zero as to probably not be measurable. I have no skills to offer to those doing the work in this space, and can not lobby any of my fine governmental representatives to change their mind, as they are incentivized much more to accept and support those that I would oppose.

I have created an R&P Prison Issues and Reform thread where these things would probably be better discussed as they are a matter of public policy.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This is why the Football program at Penn State should have been vacated for 50 years:
Penn State trustees and high-ranking university representatives met privately twice in January to discuss whether to name the football field at Beaver Stadium after former coach Joe Paterno, according to three people with direct knowledge of the conversations.
The fact that they're still proud and want to name a field after him? Disgusting.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

May I propose "Show us on the doll where he touched you field"?
He won. Period.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Call it “TouchMe Field”
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

409 wins forgives alot of sins I guess.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:58 pm This is why the Football program at Penn State should have been vacated for 50 years:
Penn State trustees and high-ranking university representatives met privately twice in January to discuss whether to name the football field at Beaver Stadium after former coach Joe Paterno, according to three people with direct knowledge of the conversations.
The fact that they're still proud and want to name a field after him? Disgusting.
On the plus side, it's harder to forget the horrors when the stadium has a giant sign reminding everyone.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Moleste Valley?
18-1™ & 2-0
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Seamy Valley
It's almost as if people are the problem.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:58 pm This is why the Football program at Penn State should have been vacated for 50 years:
Seems like too much derision for somebody who I believe was just trying to mind his own fricking business. He was pretty old, maybe he had a bit of diminished capacity when dealing with modern world problems. If he'd fired Sandusky for being whatever Sandusky was I'm pretty sure Joe would have come under attack for that too. You're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't.
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

em2nought wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:25 pm for somebody who I believe was just trying to mind his own fricking business.
:shock:

A former FBI director disagrees, but you do you.

I will repeat - Penn State's football program shouldn't exist anymore, period.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Every time this thread re-surfaces, I'm pissed off all over again that Penn State's football program wasn't burned to the fucking ground.
em2nought wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:25 pm
Seems like too much derision for somebody who I believe was just trying to mind his own fricking business. He was pretty old, maybe he had a bit of diminished capacity when dealing with modern world problems. If he'd fired Sandusky for being whatever Sandusky was I'm pretty sure Joe would have come under attack for that too. You're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't.
Can always count on you to have the worst possible take on, well, anything.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Trent Steel wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:16 pm Moleste Valley?
Anally raping 10-year-olds in the showers Valley. No sugar coating what went on there.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:57 pm Every time this thread re-surfaces, I'm pissed off all over again that Penn State's football program wasn't burned to the fucking ground.
em2nought wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:25 pm
Can always count on you to have the worst possible take on, well, anything.
Further proof that “deplorable” was actually the correct word to use.
He won. Period.