THANK YOU! 2024 Fundraising Completed - $2095 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Should real-time games have a pause button?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

lokiju

Should real-time games have a pause button?

Post by lokiju »

I have found that some of my favorite real-time games were more pleasureable simply because I could pause the action. Some recent ones I played that that, if no pause was available, I would probably dislike: Rome Total War, Freedom Force Third Reich, Neverwinter Nights + expansions, Baldur's Gate 2...and there's more obviously. So I have to wonder why some developers don't make both turn-based AND real-time fans happy by adding the pause option. Real-time affeciandos don't have to pause, so they can still be happy. And while pause is not exactly turn-based, it helps quite a bit. Is it harder to develop a game with a pause function?
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
Sepiche

Re: Should real-time games have a pause button?

Post by Sepiche »

lokiju wrote: Is it harder to develop a game with a pause function?
Nope. Just as easy as doing anything else. One of the main problems with pausing in games is that it doesn't always translate well to multiplayer. There are ways around that (elegant ones I might add such as in Rise of Nations) but some developers don't seem to pick up on those ideas.

I'm the same as you though. Sometimes I need to be able to stop the action, and reevaluate things. Maybe not as realistic, but it makes things a hell of a lot more fun when I can think about my orders and plan them out.

Rome is a great example. It would be nigh unplayable for me in large battles without the pause feature.

s
Beer Goggles

Post by Beer Goggles »

Just do not use the pause button. It is optional.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

The pause button is better than sliced bread.
yossar

Post by yossar »

I think 90% of RTS games should be pausable, but there are a few (Starcraft, maybe) where being able to think and react quickly is a big part of the challenge. You could still put in a pause button and make it optional, but using the button would make the game a lot easier. So you'd have to either rebalance the game for people who use the button and people who don't, or just accept that people who pause a lot will have a much easier time with the game.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im playing Nexus the Jupiter Incident and its real time but has a pause ability. In pause mode you can still look around and issue orders. Thats the kind of pause I like.
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

Every single-player game should have a pause button. I can understand why some games would go to a blank screen with the word "paused" on it, but I should be able to pause. Sometimes the real world requires immediate attention.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Yes, every game should have some way to pause it, and I also believe RTS games should have a way to pause and issue orders while paused. It's more difficult to implement, but useful to pull in more casual players who can't keep up with the faster RTS games.

People who don't like it can simply opt not to use it.

The same goes for save anywhere systems. It's useful to everyone, avoids player frustration, and you can still include a checkpoint system. Those who don't want to use it don't have to. You can even include a diffulty option that will force a player to not use it, just make it an option.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I won't stick with a single player RTS that doesn't have a pause. In games like Freedom Force it's 100% necessary as you have to scroll around the screen and change camera angles. If you can't pause your guys are running all around the screen and it's hard to even find them to select them. I know there are hot keys for selecting too, but it's much more fun to be able to see them in action.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
AttAdude

Post by AttAdude »

every game should have a pause button. That being said in an RTS you should not be able to interact with the game in anyway save the ability to unpause it. The hectic pase of real time is what defines the RTS group.
AttAdude
When confronted with offensive TV, the fundamental differences between the Conservative and liberal factions becomes blatantly obvious. Conservatives will piss and moan, then file a complaint with the FCC in an attempt to make sure the offending show is never seen by anyone. Liberals... well we just change the damn channel.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

AttAdude wrote:every game should have a pause button. That being said in an RTS you should not be able to interact with the game in anyway save the ability to unpause it. The hectic pase of real time is what defines the RTS group.
I agree for multiplayer but for single player I either need clock slowdown or the ability to pause and at least scroll. I don't want to be battling the interface along with whoever my enemies are.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Campy

Post by Campy »

Attadude and anyone that doesn't want a pause button, just don't use it. Also, if developers want/need to leave it out of multiplayer, that's OK with me.

However, I am 54 and my reflexes aren't what they once were. Also, I don't want to spend the time to become an expert on most games. So, being able to pause and issue commands while paused is critical to my enjoyment of games. It is so important to me that I frequently search reviews and internet comments to determine a game's pause capability before buying. I wish more reviews would comment on this aspect of games.

Again, if you don't want to use it don't! Another possibility would be having a setting to enable/disable pausing.

I may not be the in the mainstream gaming demographics, but I buy hundreds of games and developers that want my $ better let me pause.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Actually, what defines real time strategy games as RTS was that the action occurs in real time regardless of what pacing it has. ;)

Kohan 1 had intense moments, but its pacing certainly wasn't frantic.
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

I say a PAUSE button is essential for me and I would consider it as a factor in purchasing an RTS game.

Also, speed controls are a huge positive for me.

I am fairly capable in time pressure and do enjoy it, however what I also like to do is admire the action and graphics: why would developers/designers go to such great efforts and not allow one to contemplate their attention to detail?
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
naednek

Post by naednek »

Only if they don't call it a Real Time Strategy Game. Because once you pause the game to issue orders, it's no longer Real Time.
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

naednek wrote:Only if they don't call it a Real Time Strategy Game. Because once you pause the game to issue orders, it's no longer Real Time.
And while you actually play, it remains real time. Good god ken, way to take semantics to a whole other level of anal-ness (that cant be a real word).
Shkspr

Post by Shkspr »

naednek wrote:Only if they don't call it a Real Time Strategy Game. Because once you pause the game to issue orders, it's no longer Real Time.
I'll agree to do that if we can agree not to call any RTS without a pause button a Real Time Strategy Game. Because once you collect resources and it doesn't take hours or days to turn them into usable units, it's no longer Real Time. :)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've got to have a pause. I love managing the complex, multi-faceted situations RTS games provide. I love examining every detail and finding exactly the right response. I don't enjoy having to speed-twitch my way through the process - it takes all the fun out.

Besides, most of the time the AI has the equivalent of a pause. It can be aware of the whole situation in an instant, and never has to dig through sub-menus to find a certain command.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Pause is an essential feature -- especially when the phone/door rings, nature calls, the wife needs some deed done right now, etc.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Azhure

Post by Azhure »

I'm another for who pause in essential in a single player game. If I can't stop the game for a while when I need to deal with the distractions of real life I simply won't bother playing.

When I play MP I try to organise things in advance and fit it into a time when I shouldn't be disturbed, thats one of the reasons why I so rarely manage to play MP.
lokiju

Post by lokiju »

Holy hicky hoo hoo, I can't believe almost everyone agrees! I think developers (some already are) will get smarter in the future and give players what they want...and don't want, but with options to turn on and off features.

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
yossar

Post by yossar »

I don't think the original post was about just having a pause button. Of course every game should be pausable. When was the last single-player PC game you couldn't pause? I don't remember ever playing one but I might have back in the 80s.

The topic was being able to issue commands when paused. As I said before, I don't think it's a black and white issue. The closer a game gets to an action game, the less it needs a pause button. Being able to pause and aim/look around in Doom 3 would be ridiculous. Being able to pause and issue commands in Starcraft is debatable, but I find that game to be an action-RTS so I'd be against it. A game like Rise of Nations needs the feature, though.
lokiju

Post by lokiju »

yossar wrote:I don't think the original post was about just having a pause button. Of course every game should be pausable. When was the last single-player PC game you couldn't pause? I don't remember ever playing one but I might have back in the 80s.

The topic was being able to issue commands when paused. As I said before, I don't think it's a black and white issue. The closer a game gets to an action game, the less it needs a pause button. Being able to pause and aim/look around in Doom 3 would be ridiculous. Being able to pause and issue commands in Starcraft is debatable, but I find that game to be an action-RTS so I'd be against it. A game like Rise of Nations needs the feature, though.
But why not let gamers decide? Give options to pause or not pause. Give options to order commands or not while paused. Give options to save often, save sometimes, or ironman. Choices rule.

And my thread start post was specifically about pausing games, not simply about issuing commands. There have been plenty of real-time games that don't offer a pause.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I don't play games to test my reflexes or make the adrenaline flow or stress myself out. Hyperactivity is fine for the kiddies, but I game to relax. I won't play anything that doesn't let me adjust the speed, or at least pause the action.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

For tactical-type games, I definitely prefer a pause button and the ability to issue orders while paused so I can micromanage as needed.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Ridah

Post by Ridah »

I figure the ESC key is the pause button, cause usually it takes you into the options menu and freezes the game.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

ChrisGwinn wrote:Every single-player game should have a pause button. I can understand why some games would go to a blank screen with the word "paused" on it, but I should be able to pause. Sometimes the real world requires immediate attention.
I agree with you there. At the very least give me a chance to take a break, real world always comes over video games. Although with mp games, I can completely understand not allowing pausing. And then it just sucks if something distracts you from your gaming :) .
yossar

Post by yossar »

lokiju wrote:But why not let gamers decide? Give options to pause or not pause. Give options to order commands or not while paused. Give options to save often, save sometimes, or ironman. Choices rule.
For the same reason you can't pause and look around in Doom 3. Some games are designed to be fast-paced and adding the option to pause and issue orders changes the nature of the game. Then you have to balance the game for people who choose to use the feature and those who don't. And unless you do it well, people will complain that the game is too easy using pause, or too hard not using it. For 90% of RTS games, I agree that the option is good, but for some it just isn't worth it.

And can anyone name one single player game from the last five years that didn't have a pause button? Aside from maybe some small shareware games? I can't, but I don't play every game that comes out.