Whatcha Watchin'?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by Isgrimnur »

The current tempest over tennis is Naomi Osaka.

She missed media day, was fined, and threatened with a forfeit. She stated that it was for mental health reasons. And yet she was attacked by many and varied people. Including threats of bans from the other Majors.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Racists gonna racist I suppose.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:42 pm The current tempest over tennis is Naomi Osaka.

She missed media day, was fined, and threatened with a forfeit. She stated that it was for mental health reasons. And yet she was attacked by many and varied people. Including threats of bans from the other Majors.
i heard she is the richest woman in the history of woman's sports. If that's the case, I hope she flips them the bird and enjoy life the way she wants to live it. She's apparently a rather severe introvert who has a big problem public speaking, and if she's already fabulously wealthy, why tolerate something that gives her such grief?
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Sudy wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:51 am Men in Black: International was a good idea. Unfortunately, it's a poorly written executed that doesn't expand upon its predecessors or even play to its strengths. I like most of the actors involved, but they're just not written very well. Not all of the beats and tropes are bad, there's just uninspired and over-telegraphed (the main "twist" in particular if you can even call it that). Such a wasted opportunity.
I agree. I saw it a few weeks ago and was underwhelmed. Still rather fun, but nowhere near as good as the others. I think my favourites were 1 and 3. The highlight of this movie was easily Liam Neeson. Chris Helmsworth was underutilized and Tessa Thompson looks completely bored.

On another subject, is anyone watching Mare of Easttown on HBO? It's a police drama starring Kate Winslet, set in a small Pennsylvania town. Feels like it could be a True Detective season.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

MiB 2 felt like the shortest film I'd ever seen. I thought 3 was really great with Josh Brolin.

Boss Level is an enjoyable but occasionally frustrating 90 minutes. It's literally Groundhog Day with guns. The mechanics of the movie are fine, and the last act actually surprised me up to the finale. But it flounders under the weight of its attempt at various genre conventions such as a quirky rogue's gallery, sassy narration, and the confusing/underdeveloped video game metaphor. The plot is all fiction and no science... the mythology sounds like something out of a Saturday-morning cartoon. While the actors shine, few members of the impressive cast are given much to do. (Michelle Yeoh is the best example, in a glorified but relevant cameo.) I like Frank Grillo, but the production team seems to have confused him for Ryan Reynolds. I just wish the film took itself more seriously.

It's once again a total delight to watch old Mel Gibson chew the scenery however. He may be a confused if not despicable human being, but I've always found it impossible not to enjoy his work.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:13 pm
On another subject, is anyone watching Mare of Easttown on HBO? It's a police drama starring Kate Winslet, set in a small Pennsylvania town. Feels like it could be a True Detective season.
I watched the first episode because of the strong reviews. I fully expected to drop it after that because it didn’t seem like my kind of show. Next thing I know, I’d binged watched all available episodes at the time. It’s a very good show.

However, Infinite on Paramount + is not a good show. Your first clue is that it’s Mark Wahlberg trying to be an action star again. The second clue is that it’s Mark Wahlberg trying to be an action star again. And the third clue is that it’s Mark Wahlberg trying to be an action star again.

Mark Wahlberg: Making Steven Seagal look like Sir Lawrence Olivier for over two decades.
Covfefe!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

The only good thing I ever saw Mark Wahlberg in was his obituary.

(Doesn't work yet; too dark and cruel.)

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:04 pm
Rumpy wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:13 pm
I watched the first episode because of the strong reviews. I fully expected to drop it after that because it didn’t seem like my kind of show. Next thing I know, I’d binged watched all available episodes at the time. It’s a very good show.

However, Infinite on Paramount + is not a good show. Your first clue is that it’s Mark Wahlberg trying to be an action star again. The second clue is that it’s Mark Wahlberg trying to be an action star again. And the third clue is that it’s Mark Wahlberg trying to be an action star again.

Mark Wahlberg: Making Steven Seagal look like Sir Lawrence Olivier for over two decades.
I'd somehow expect Mark Wahlberg to be a natural deterrent at this point.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You know how people slow down to gawk at accidents on the highway?

update: Made it to the one hour mark before I bailed. I may go back and finish it later though because as I hinted at earlier, I sometimes enjoy watching a cinematic disaster unfold before my eyes.

For aspiring screenwriters, one bit of advice. Don't explain the plot of your movie over the opening credits. If you have even a modicum of talent, you can reveal that plot within the story itself...like anyone with even a community college screenwriting class under their belt would do.
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:04 pm Mark Wahlberg: Making Steven Seagal look like Sir Lawrence Olivier for over two decades.
Three awesome names in the same sentence! Huzzah!

Because of how cable presents movie options to me, I wind up watching a lot of Wahlburg and Segal, not as much Sir Larry as I'd prefer though. You can add Bruce Willis and Nicolas Cage to the list. While they might never make movies that are enduring classics; I'm generally not bored by them. And why else would I be watching movies if not to be not bored?
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Your priorities often don’t match those of humans. When is your mothership returning?
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

What TV feeds me is not to be mistaken by "priorities." For most movies, I have to suck at the Prime Video teat and they adore those guys.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

There are far, far more movies on prime without Willis or Seagal than with. You just seek them out. I believe.
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:33 pm There are far, far more movies on prime without Willis or Seagal than with. You just seek them out. I believe.
Oh, there are, but they tend to be worse. Prime does have, I believe, the world's largest B-movie archive. It's just that only about 1 out of 5 such movies are so bad they are good.

This does not apply to Amazon-developed movies, which tend to not suck. I was disappointed though with Coming to America 2. I like Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall, but this movie just didn't bring it like the first movie did. If you haven't seen it, imagine Mark Wahlburg and Bea Arthur doing a steamy sex scene. No matter how much you like the actors, it doesn't always work.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Just finished all 8 seasons of Scrubs (season 9 doesn’t exist).

That might be my favorite series finale of all time. His walk down the hallway followed by Peter Gabriel’s “Book of Love” is just perfect.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:49 pm
hepcat wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:33 pm There are far, far more movies on prime without Willis or Seagal than with. You just seek them out. I believe.
Oh, there are, but they tend to be worse. Prime does have, I believe, the world's largest B-movie archive. It's just that only about 1 out of 5 such movies are so bad they are good.
I should add that it annoys me to no end that movies I've aborted partway through keep appearing on the suggestions lists. Can't they all be consigned to a "finish watching..." group? I keep getting suckered in by the same attractive blurbs then almost immediately realize that it's a steaming piece of suck. Sometimes it takes me so long to find a move that I can sit through that I no longer have time to sit through it. :(
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Green Book's criticisms are worth considering, but it's a superbly acted and produced, if predictable, drama.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Did anyone watch the premier of "Kevin Can F**k Himself"? (It's on AMC in "Fear the Walking Dead"'s time slot.)

The show stars Annie Murphy (Alexis from "Schitt's Creek") as Allison, a very not-Alexis character who's married to Kevin, a schlub man-child with some loser friends/family. The group scenes are a brightly lit multi-camera sitcom with offensively cliche characters, moronic jokes, and a relentless laugh track. In these scenes Allison is usually the butt of the jokes, her weak attempts to join in the "fun" are rebuffed, and her attempts to improve her life are foiled.

Whenever Allison leaves the house or is alone, we change to single-camera scenes in muted tones, and her life is a drama with some dark comedy thrown in. She realizes that Kevin is the reason she's been unhappy for 10 years, and she resolves to kill him.

It's creative and it mostly works, although the sitcom segments are so cringeworthy that you won't find much to laugh at, and Allison's inner life isn't funny, either. I think you'll be disappointed if you approach the show as a comedy.

I wasn't blown away by the two-part pilot, but definitely drawn in by the clever structure and will keep watching to see where it goes. It'll be a pretty short show if she actually kills Kevin, and I don't think they can draw out her trying indefinitely, so it has to grow beyond the initial setup.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Watching Beartown on HBO. It''s a miniseries based on the Frederik Backman novel of the same name. But I have to say that while I absolutely loved the novel, the miniseries is proving to be a disappointing mess. With 5 episodes, it's condensed far too much leaving out key character moments, and seeing as this is a social issue drama, getting a feel for the character is key. But it doesn't handle the characters very well other than the ones that are directly focal to the story, which lessens the impact of what happens in general. This is an issue because it's all in subtitles with only passing mentions of characters. It also inexplicably makes reference to things that are in the novel but are never shown on the show leaving them be teasers of the characters they are.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

The Sisters Brothers is worth watching. I found the first hour only moderately interesting, but it's carried by Phoenix whom I love, and Reilly and Gyllenhaal whom I often enjoy. It really makes its mark in the second half though. This lies somewhere between traditional western and deconstruction. The world works in a familiar way, but expectations are still occasionally subverted. Violence and greed often perpetuate desperate cycles, but are sometimes escapable if only by dumb luck.

I dislike this trailer though. I don't mind the use of music, but it misrepresents the tone of the film and overemphasizes certain plot points. Rather, this is a fairly introspective film more about the journey. There are quirky elements, but its more subdued.

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

This may seem weird, but a couple of nights a week I catch the first 15 minutes or so of the Late Late Show with James Corden. I never had much use for Corden in the pre-COVID times, but they're currently doing the show in studio with just cast and crew in attendance - and it's often really funny. Without an audience to pander to, the show often degenerates into people trying to make fun of one another or just being strange, and it works. I don't know that I'll bother to watch it when the audience comes back.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Holman

Post by Holman »

My wife persuaded me to start watching Call My Agent on Netflix, and it's really good.

It's a French comedy-drama set in an agency representing actors in Paris. Episodes feature the four main agents (all different Parisian types) and their younger generation of assistants, but there are also frequent cameos from actors you might recognize (e.g. Juliette Binoche, Jean Reno, Sigourney Weaver, plus many Euros I don't know but who are surely famous in France).

The tone is more elevated than The Office, but it's still a fun and fresh workplace comedy. The writing and situations are very good even if I get them mostly through subtitles. I'm very fond of the main agent protagonist, the kind of overburdened everyman who could (were he not French) be played by Martin Freeman. (He's played by Gregory Montel.)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Geez Amazon Prime....you have tons of crap I dont care about yet when I want to watch Drunken Master its not covered and Id need to rent it..bah on you.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Do you blame the grocery store when someone changes a product you like?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

All movie streams are the same...nothing I want. I checked 4 or 5 other movies...all not available.. Canceling prime.
Last edited by Daehawk on Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

30 years ago, no streaming services whatsoever, three major channels only and cable TV constantly playing the same small stable of movies over and over again: "There's nothing to watch!"

Today, dozens of streaming services, the major channels have on demand viewing option quite often, with cable providers also allowing you to watch what you want when you want: "There's nothing to watch!"

This hit home the other night when I was listlessly roaming through streaming catalogs lamenting to myself that nothing was catching my eye, when I suddenly realized that in the last 30 seconds of said roaming, I'd already surpassed in quantity AND quality what was available to me at any given time in high school about 10 times over.

As humans, the more you give us, the more we want. We are a sorry lot.
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh I realize that each time I find nothing. I can hear Pink Floyd in my head singing "13 channels of shit on the tv to choose from"
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Yes and also no, in my own experience.

When I was a teen in the late 90s and early 2000s, I developed an interest in classic, foreign, and indie film. I wouldn't say I was a film snob, but I was young and wanted to absorb as much "good" cinema as I could (in addition to the better Hollywood stuff). This often meant staying up into the wee hours of the morning to catch what was on Bravo, Showcase, and The History Channel. I often juggled video tapes, abusing the VCR's timer function. It was a pain in the ass, but I also often find myself nostalgic for that time. I'd set an alarm to get me up at 02:05 in the morning and sleep in until 02:15, and have to decide whether I wanted to start watching late. This is a movie I might not know if I'd ever see on TV again, or when. Eventually I got my own membership at local video rental stores and I had a lot more options. Finally, a Netflix (DVD by mail) competitor arrived in Canada (Zip.ca), and things really changed, at least until they banned me because too many discs went missing in transit. (Despite my offering to pay for them.) But there was still stuff you couldn't get.

Now, I have active subscriptions to Netflix, Prime, and Crave (a Canadian service). We also mooch my sister's Disney+ sometimes. That's actually more than I subscribe to at once actually and I need to cut a couple of them. But it can be earnestly difficult to find something good in the genre I want to watch. I don't dabble in VPNs these days. Most films are available on demand for $3-$5 across a few different services (unless they're new release), and that's really not a bad deal compared to going to Blockbuster back in the day. But the catalogues and availability is so fragmented that I spend as much time searching for and researching content as I do watching it. It's true that streaming/on-demand has given us a dilemma of choice. But still not the level of choice we want, or that would really simplify our lives. I've never subscribed to cable... I do miss some elements of it, and occasionally took advantage of shared family cable up until several years ago. But I don't miss live TV other than the "companionship" and discovery element of it. And of course, if you don't get advertised/malwared to death, you can find decent pirate streams of all but the most obscure films and series if you have a stomach for that.

What's better? The latter, but it has its own frustrations. And of course, these accounts would sound bizarre to anyone before the VHS/VCR revolution. What a different world it was to be unable to re-watch your favourite film at the click of a button or access clips on Youtube. Back before motion pictures I hear they read books.

I think the potentially great thing is that streaming has saved us from being "forced" to watch mediocre/bad content (if we don't wish to). Like, I'm not going to watch a Seagal direct-to-video flick that I know nothing about. 20+ years ago, that might have happened.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

If you cancel Netflix for a few months and then rejoin with the same account info, does the app remember your history and watch lists, or is it like being born again?

I've been spending all my viewing time on HBO, Prime, and YTTV lately, and I'm beginning to begrudge their 17 bucks a month.

As for shows I'm watching, just saw the season finale of Kevin Can Fuck Himself. It's not the greatest show ever, but I still admire their creative production and am enjoying the story. Plus I'd be happy just watching Annie Murphy brush her teeth for an hour. Hope it gets a second season, but I won't be surprised if it doesn't. The sitcom interludes are as unfunny as they're meant to be, and I can't imagine America is in on the meta humor.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-and- ... s-to-know/

This suggests it's retained for 10 months. I'm surprised they delete it at all.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I've spent the last month or so clearing the decks on all the Netflix Marvel shows I fell behind in back in 2018/19. I think the last thing I'd watched was the Defenders and needed to get through S2 of Luke Cage, S2+S3 of Jessica Jones, Iron Fist and S3 of Daredevil.

I had to bail about halfway through S2 of Luke Cage. The episodes meandered and were slow. Many were 60+ minutes and could have used editing. I also hate to say it, but I really stopped caring about Luke Cage as a character and the associated story just wasn't interesting. I think some of it has to do with his super power. At times, he seems like he's bored when fighting - because nothing hurts him. Yes, they change that up with a plot twist in S2, but overall I just couldn't connect with the story.

I completely skipped Iron Fist based on the overwhelming opinion of the masses.

I really enjoyed S2 and S3 of Jessica Jones. In comparison to Luke Cage, the editing and pacing was much better. The stories and characters were more interesting.

S3 of Daredevil was fantastic. Not just because of Vincent D'Onofrio, but overall - a great story and character arc.

I also just blasted through BONDiNG, a show that had a 2 season run on Netflix. The episodes are all short 15-20 minutes (which was a draw) and enjoyable. It's a dark show and assuming you can get over the premise (it's not graphic, but it's definitely adult in nature), I actually liked the characters. It was cancelled earlier this year, but there's a definite ending to the show and an end to their stories. Maybe it wasn't THE end, but it worked. The second season was actually much deeper and had some turns I didn't expect. I'd recommend it for something different.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I haven't finished any of the final Marvel seasons other than Punisher. I guess there just didn't seem to be as big of a point staying current after they were cancelled, and I was too bummed out. But recently Mrs. Nym was watching them, so I want to go back to them soon. S1 of Jessica Jones and S2 of Daredevil remain my favourites. IMO S1 if Iron Fist wasn't that bad, it was just unimaginative in places and tended to drag. I wonder if the Disney+ format of 6-8 episodes would really have worked better for all of them, though I know those shows are being written differently and have to accommodate their film stars.

I'm rewatching Archer for some reason. I think I only got up to season 4 or 5 years ago. I recently tried to pick up where I left off but I couldn't remember what was going on. I forgot how incredibly crude this show can be, especially in the first season. It makes me physically repulsed at times. But something magical happens in the second half of season 2 and the characters just really gel. Right around the breast cancer episode.

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:49 am I've spent the last month or so clearing the decks on all the Netflix Marvel shows I fell behind in back in 2018/19. I think the last thing I'd watched was the Defenders and needed to get through S2 of Luke Cage, S2+S3 of Jessica Jones, Iron Fist and S3 of Daredevil.

I had to bail about halfway through S2 of Luke Cage. The episodes meandered and were slow. Many were 60+ minutes and could have used editing. I also hate to say it, but I really stopped caring about Luke Cage as a character and the associated story just wasn't interesting. I think some of it has to do with his super power. At times, he seems like he's bored when fighting - because nothing hurts him. Yes, they change that up with a plot twist in S2, but overall I just couldn't connect with the story.

I completely skipped Iron Fist based on the overwhelming opinion of the masses.

I really enjoyed S2 and S3 of Jessica Jones. In comparison to Luke Cage, the editing and pacing was much better. The stories and characters were more interesting.

S3 of Daredevil was fantastic. Not just because of Vincent D'Onofrio, but overall - a great story and character arc.

I also just blasted through BONDiNG, a show that had a 2 season run on Netflix. The episodes are all short 15-20 minutes (which was a draw) and enjoyable. It's a dark show and assuming you can get over the premise (it's not graphic, but it's definitely adult in nature), I actually liked the characters. It was cancelled earlier this year, but there's a definite ending to the show and an end to their stories. Maybe it wasn't THE end, but it worked. The second season was actually much deeper and had some turns I didn't expect. I'd recommend it for something different.
I thought S1 of Iron Fist was horrible. But I really liked S2. Night and day.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We finished Westworld last night. I didn’t like the last season, and especially the last few episodes — it felt too much like a drawn-out superhero movie, with unkillable characters fighting to the death and being resurrected to do it again. Plus it was hard to keep track of the characters who were masquerading as other characters and double-crossing so that I was often not sure who was working for what or whom. They did wrap up their big themes of free will, and they made good use of some sf tropes like living in a simulation, so it wasn't a wasted season. I just didn't enjoy it much after they left Westworld.

I think I'm going to dive into some Star Trek next. Turns out we accidentally signed up for Paramount+ thru Amazon quite awhile ago. I'd been thinking about getting it anyway, so rather than cancel I'm going to catch up on Picard, Discovery, and Lower Decks.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Tonight we finished Veep -- unexpectedly, because the last season was only 8 episodes and I expected 10. I can see why it won so many Emmys. It was often brilliant, with a cast of reprehensible characters you love to hate. The last couple of seasons dialed crude offensiveness up to 11, but that wasn’t inconsistent with the horrible people being portrayed. If you haven’t seen it, imagine the exact opposite of The West Wing. Even though I couldn’t stand her, I’m going to miss Selina Meyer.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Watched a half-dozen episodes of Master Chef Legends today. Pretty well done, except this season they seem to focus on judging only the current dish and not giving consideration to prior success. A few have been cut after being excellent but then having a misstep.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Finished Jupiter's Legacy on Netfilx and really enjoyed it. Damn shame it's a one and done. It might have been a bit better with another two episodes, or maybe not. Definitely would have watched a second season.

I just started Toast of London (thanks hepcat!), but I wanted to share that it's leaving Netflix on 8/31. It's only like ~21 episodes that are around 20 minutes, so it shouldn't be a problem, but I did want to say it warned me when I started that it was leaving.

EDIT: Need more coffee
Last edited by Smoove_B on Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:39 pm Toast of the Town (thanks hepcat!),
* Toast of London