How about a new Baldur's Gate game?...possibly.....

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: How about a new Baldur's Gate game?...possibly.....

Post by Blackhawk »

Paingod wrote:The Shadowy Figure failed his saving throw and the "Resurrection" spell backfired into "Summon Pissed IT Guy"
Not Nerdmodius! No!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Maybe the music is all we get.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

GameBanshee is mentioning finding a logo for "Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition" on the dev's site, which is now also crashed.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I love when sites do these timer things, sometimes day, weeks or hours in advance. You have to think that somewhere up the managerial chain, some marketing director said to someone in IT: "OK, now are we SURE that we can handle the traffic when the countdown hits zero? Please triple check this. In fact, pretend that hundreds, maybe THOUSANDS of people will be jabbing the F5 key repeatedly on our site when this thing hits zero...CAN WE HANDLE THAT?"

:grund:
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

This site is claiming enhanced edition for PC.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Snipped from their site source:
We are Overhaul Games. since we got our start at Bioware we've made a few games, met a few friends, and now we're back working on the games we love. For years we've wanted to continue our journey on Baldur's Gate, and now after months negotiations we get to do just that.

We're located in Edmonton along fashionable Whyte Avenue, down the street from the original Bioware office. Right now we're hip deep in code and pixels making awesome, if you got something to say or would like to join the fun drop us a line at
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

That would thrill me beyond belief, as long as "enhanced edition" doesn't mean "FPS" and/or "streamlined" to be more palatable for the console crowd.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Given that their last project was the MDK2 EE, I'm guessing it is just a tech upgrade, which would be fantastic.

Oh, and:

silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Hrm.

How much more "enhanced" can they make it than what the modding communities have been doing for all these years, I wonder.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

silverjon wrote:Hrm.

How much more "enhanced" can they make it than what the modding communities have been doing for all these years, I wonder.
32 bit graphics would be a nice start. Possibly replace the low res 2d sprites with either detailed 3d models or modern sprites from 3d models.
DD*

Post by DD* »

I hear it's a first-person shooter with RPG elements! Win!!
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Jag

Post by Jag »

Meh. I wouldn't mind a sequel even if done in the old engine. Not a huge fan of replaying content.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Jag wrote:Meh. I wouldn't mind a sequel even if done in the old engine. Not a huge fan of replaying content.
Well for me personally, it's been so long since I played it, and with my feeble, almost senile-like mind, it will seem new to me!

Wait, what are we talking about?
WPD

Post by WPD »

DD* wrote:I hear it's a first-person shooter with RPG elements! Win!!
Specifically it is a cover-based shooter and reimagines the Forgotten Realms as a near future earth.
Later ya'll.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

According to Trent Oster's Twitter feed:
Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition is going to have new content for the game you love, made by some of the original team members
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jag

Post by Jag »

Smoove_B wrote:According to Trent Oster's Twitter feed:
Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition is going to have new content for the game you love, made by some of the original team members
Interest rising....

I'm just glad I saved all my characters from when BG1&2 were released. I'm sure most people did.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote:According to Trent Oster's Twitter feed:
It's going to have new content for Freespace 2?
Black Lives Matter.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Was about to make a joke about them re-imagining BG as a Freespace-style space shooter.

Then I realized that I would absolutely buy the shit out of that. Minsc in space? Oh my, yes.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Why Boo is flying?!?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well I was hoping for a part 3 so it would be a trilogy but if they update it to make it look great and have new content so i can play it without hassle on my modern system im happy. Well as long as it's cheap since I own them both and all addons already. Maybe they'll sell it on GoG for $10 a game with all addons included.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Probably not. Beamdog did the same type of upgrade for MDK back in 2010 and it was released through their own digital distribution platform. In terms of sales, it would make more sense for them to release it on their own as a way to maximize the profits. FWIW, MDK HD was retailing for $15 on their site. And MDK ain't no Baldur's Gate.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

All things considered, this is one of the better possible outcomes. I wonder just how enhanced this enhanced edition will be. Better sprites and smoother animations would go a long way, along with obvious and pretty much guaranteed stuff like supporting modern monitor resolutions.

I wonder if the new content will include some of the half-finished quests that got cut due to time constraints?
silvaril

Post by silvaril »

Heya

Given that there was Fan effort to make the entire series work in a single engine, I am hoping that one of the end results of this is the ability to play the entire existing series ( 1 && 2 && add-ons et al ) through from scratch.

And if the engine update is sufficient, then I figure it might possibly be a lead in to a part 3 or something...

Although, it is also likely that the updated "engine" is merely the end result of porting the game to Tablets et al, and that backporting from that to PC's is just icing. ;)
Last edited by silvaril on Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

Enhanced Edition of BG and BG2?

That was underwhelming...
"I am in a very peculiar business...I travel all over the world telling people what they should already know." - James "The Amazing" Randi
silvaril

Post by silvaril »

Heya
silvaril wrote:Given that there was Fan effort to make the entire series work in a single engine, I am hoping that one of the end results of this is the ability to play the entire existing series ( 1 && 2 && add-ons et al ) through from scratch.
Whelp, scratch that as they have confirmed that each of 1 & 2 is undergoing separate treatment, making it in my mind far more likely that these are tablet ports, with PC icing.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Perhaps its going to be a full conversion using Skyrim engine. Good luck getting all 5 companions down the hallway.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

It'd be awesome if it was a total conversion to the IWD2 engine. There's actually a mod that more-or-less converts BG2 to the IWD2 engine (Icewind Gate), but it's on hiatus and is still only about half implemented. It's playable, but very hack-y. You have to use cheat commands for some things, like starting at a level other than 1.

EDIT: Chance of that happening is 0%, of course. It'll still be 2nd edition rules. Which is kind of amusing considering how close we are to 5th edition.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Well they are re-releasing the 1st edition books in April or May (can't remember now) so maybe they're on a retro kick :)
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Zurai wrote:It'd be awesome if it was a total conversion to the IWD2 engine. There's actually a mod that more-or-less converts BG2 to the IWD2 engine (Icewind Gate), but it's on hiatus and is still only about half implemented. It's playable, but very hack-y. You have to use cheat commands for some things, like starting at a level other than 1.

EDIT: Chance of that happening is 0%, of course. It'll still be 2nd edition rules. Which is kind of amusing considering how close we are to 5th edition.
I wish they'd update the damn ruleset. I hate AD&D with a passion, and it's the main reason why I haven't replayed these games already. Even the imperfection of plain 3rd Edition would be a considerable improvement.
Insert witty comment here.
Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

TiLT wrote:
Zurai wrote:It'd be awesome if it was a total conversion to the IWD2 engine. There's actually a mod that more-or-less converts BG2 to the IWD2 engine (Icewind Gate), but it's on hiatus and is still only about half implemented. It's playable, but very hack-y. You have to use cheat commands for some things, like starting at a level other than 1.

I wish they'd update the damn ruleset. I hate AD&D with a passion, and it's the main reason why I haven't replayed these games already. Even the imperfection of plain 3rd Edition would be a considerable improvement.
This +1.

AD&D was terrible from a game design standpoint. D&D itself is an awful game design but we tend to forgive it because it was the first attempt at a RPG.
"I am in a very peculiar business...I travel all over the world telling people what they should already know." - James "The Amazing" Randi
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

D&D's design is fine when you consider that it was originally intended to provide intra-campaign story to a wargame. In that sense, it's actually pretty good design. Feature creep isn't a design problem in this case (it's a problem, but not one with the basic game design).

If you want mechanics that focus as much or more on non-combat rules as on combat rules, you'll want to try other systems like Burning Wheel.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Zurai wrote:D&D's design is fine when you consider that it was originally intended to provide intra-campaign story to a wargame. In that sense, it's actually pretty good design. Feature creep isn't a design problem in this case (it's a problem, but not one with the basic game design).

If you want mechanics that focus as much or more on non-combat rules as on combat rules, you'll want to try other systems like Burning Wheel.
I don't want to turn this into an edition war, but it's got to be said:

My problem with AD&D isn't that it's combat focused. That has always been (and still is) the focus of D&D. The problem with AD&D is that it's bloated beyond recognition, is anything but internally consistent, and can make anyone's brain hurt when trying to understand concepts like dual classing, exceptional strength scores and THAC0. Turns out that most people who fondly remember that system seem to recall only rules that were patched in much later or their own houserules. 3rd Edition is far, far from perfect, but it took a giant leap towards providing a consistent system with rules that actually seem to make some sense, archaic and convoluted though they may be.
Insert witty comment here.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

I wasn't commenting on AD&D in specific. I was responding to Skeptic's comment that D&D in general is badly designed.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I love AD&D, especially second edition, but I have no delusions about its design. The non-combat aspects were tacked on, and just barely, and I still shudder at the memory of trying to teach all those people how the internal logic worked:

Me: "Saving throws you roll over, so you need a low score. A 17 sucks. You have to roll under an ability score to make a test based on that. A 17 is great. THAC0 is your attack ability. You want it low to get a good attack. A 17 sucks. Armor class is your defensive ability. You want it low, because low AC means high armor. A -10 is much, much more than a 7, obviously. To attack you subtract your target's AC from your THAC0 and try to roll over it. Now, do you have all that straight?"

New player: "Which side is up on the triangle one?"

Now, Pathfinder/D&D 3x:

Me: "High is good. Roll a 20 and add whatever the + next to the score is."

New player: "Oh, that's easy. Which side is up on the triangle one?"
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Incidentally, I really recommend barrel-style d4s rather than caltrop/pyramid-style ones. Not only will you avoid taking hit point damage if you accidentally step on them, they also roll much better.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Zurai wrote:Incidentally, I really recommend barrel-style d4s rather than caltrop/pyramid-style ones. Not only will you avoid taking hit point damage if you accidentally step on them, they also roll much better.
You'll pry my awkward pyramids from my cold, dead fingers. There are traditions to maintain.
Sarkus

Post by Sarkus »

You geezers and your jokes about dice! :lol: Nowdays we just use our Iphone apps to generate the numbers . . . .
Foggy: You have my word as a corporal and a gentleman.
Clegg: Hitler was a corporal!
Foggy: Not in my regiment.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Chaz wrote:Was about to make a joke about them re-imagining BG as a Freespace-style space shooter. Then I realized that I would absolutely buy the shit out of that. Minsc in space? Oh my, yes.
"Go for the rear deflectors, Boo!"
Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

Zurai wrote:I wasn't commenting on AD&D in specific. I was responding to Skeptic's comment that D&D in general is badly designed.
And no amount of rationalizations about it being tacked onto a wargaming system changes this. There is no way one can successfully argue that D&D's design was "good" by any stretch of the imagination. Logically inconsistent is logically inconsistent and bloated is bloated. The THAC0/A.C. system(where lower/negative values are better than positive higher values...thankfully changed in 3rd ed., but which also = 'harder to be hit' rather than 'resists damage better', etc.), the way thieves abilities used percentile/D100 system but combat used d20, dwarves detecting traps underground used d6 and some other abilities used D8 or D4 or what have you. Then there is the infamous and retarded 'Fire and forget' magic system, hit points being nonsensically and inconsistently defined and increasing with level-ups, the whole 'save throw' system(I mean the whole thing is just a travesty of design!).

D&D is just a mess. 3.0 and 3.5 were a major improvement and corrected some of these problems but still...
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Well, hitpoints is an abstraction to how resistant you are to the damage when you're hit and since D&D is an *heroic* fantasy game, having a character able to shrug off ridiculous amounts of damage is sort of what they were going for. There are lots of systems that handle combat more realistically if that's what you want; Ilike those every now and then, but when I'm playing an rpg for fun I'd rather be a badass rather than terrified of dying every time I try to do something. That's more due to the fact that my play time is soooo limited now that I don't want to spend most of it rolling up new characters than anythi

I do agree that the D&D ruleset shouldn't be used for a real time CRPG...there are much better uses of the CPU's processing power than handling a ruleset meant for turn based table top play.