Thinking of ditching cable tv, thoughts

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Carpet_pissr

Re: Thinking of ditching cable tv, thoughts

Post by Carpet_pissr »

mori wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:04 pm Finally ditched Dish TV. The roofers disturbed the antenna so it no longer worked (very convenient reason for me) and Dish TV wanted to charge me a $90 service fee to fix it so I told them to stuff it. The only streaming services I have now is Amazon Prime and Peacock. I can get an antenna for local stations so that is taken care off. The only thing I am concerned about is how to get the USA Network or some other way to watch the Premier League live. Any suggestions? Or I can just watch everything later on Peacock.
Unrelated kinda: I realized the other day that my current Sling (BOOOO!!!) TV sub didn't include the local network channels, and wife wanted to watch the no good, horrible Carolina Panthers "play" the other day for some reason, so I put a paperclip into the antenna "hole" on the TV, and picked up about 32 stations of OTA HD, pristine goodness. When I didn't see Fox showing up, I added a bit of aluminum foil to the paperclip, and voila, 20 more stations picked up, including the Fox channel. 52 pristine, not (or very low) compressed HD channels, OTA, for free.

The NFL games OTA make the same games on YoutubeTV (and the other cable replacements) look like absolute garbage, in terms of PQ.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Did you take a victory lap after performing this miracle and demand that the household build a shrine to you?
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hepcat wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:55 pm Did you take a victory lap after performing this miracle and demand that the household build a shrine to you?
I'll admit to being pretty puffed up about it, and demanded that my son sit and count out loud as the auto-scan found every new channel, like the Count from Sesame Street.
I might have also possibly mocked up and printed out a certificate proclaiming my awesome technical prowess with simple metal objects.

So yes, I get what you're saying. I could have, and should have received more recognition, but I live amongst thankless, entitled ne'er-do-wells, so what are you gonna do?
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:D
He won. Period.
mori

Post by mori »

My $25 Amazon indoor antenna for OTA was a bust. I thought I was close enough to pick up the stations but the couple the TV detects are simply unwatchable in the quality. I don't think I am going to go further down this path. Maybe what I really need is a paperclip and some aluminum foil.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Spectrum is now pushing its new Xumo Streaming box around here for tv. No more cable boxes. Its live streaming tv these days with voice activation and such. Its the future. Which is really cool if I still watched tv at all or could afford it.

The link talks about Ohio but they have been sending me stuff in the mail about it here in TN.

https://www.wvxu.org/media/2023-10-10/s ... st-tvkiese
Xumo, launched Thursday, Oct. 5, in Greater Cincinnati, has the ability to access hundreds of subscription-based and ad-supported streaming apps, including Apple TV+, Disney+, ESPN+, Hulu, Max, Netflix, Peacock, Pluto, Prime Video, Tubi, Xumo Play and many more.
The Xumo Stream Box is about four square inches.
Courtesy Spectrum
The Xumo Stream Box is about four square inches.

The Xumo Stream Box is a joint venture by the nation's two biggest cable TV companies, No. 1 Comcast (owners of NBC Universal, Peacock, Xfinity, Telemundo and Universal theme parks) and No. 2 Charter, operator of Spectrum cable in 41 states.

Customers can watch TV while they browse with the "Live Tile" on the home screen and picture-in-picture window in the grid guide, says Michael Pedelty, Spectrum's Southern Ohio region senior director of communications.
Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

$5/mo to rent the box and no DVR.
Does watching Xumo Play count against my Xfinity Internet data usage?
Yes, Xumo Play programming is delivered over your Xfinity Internet service; therefore, Xumo Play will be subject to the same rules, terms, and conditions that govern Xfinity Internet service, including any data usage plans that may apply.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Jesus a data limit on watching tv? Ridiculous that a data limit even exists. Somehow Optimum hasn't done that yet, but I'm sure it will come at some point.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Dont have a data limit here with Spectrum. Never sub'd to a place that did.

Its been so long since I had cable....with no dvr and only streaming theres no need to record or save shows right?..just stream which ep you want?... Weird world.

To think, when I was a kid we had 3 channels that went off at midnight with a salute and rolling picture you adjusted.

Jesus thats how old I am. Half a century ago I was 4 years old.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:42 pm Dont have a data limit here with Spectrum. Never sub'd to a place that did.

Its been so long since I had cable....with no dvr and only streaming theres no need to record or save shows right?..just stream which ep you want?... Weird world.

To think, when I was a kid we had 3 channels that went off at midnight with a salute and rolling picture you adjusted.

Jesus thats how old I am. Half a century ago I was 4 years old.
Dude, you make it sound like you're 75...you're 54?! That's not that old, and probably barely above the age average around these parts.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:42 pm To think, when I was a kid we had 3 channels that went off at midnight with a salute and rolling picture you adjusted.
Ahh. The good old roll to static... it was a useful alarm if you accidentally fell asleep watching tv on the couch.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Punisher wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:08 pm
Daehawk wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:42 pm To think, when I was a kid we had 3 channels that went off at midnight with a salute and rolling picture you adjusted.
Ahh. The good old roll to static... it was a useful alarm if you accidentally fell asleep watching tv on the couch.
So I'm rewatching Babylon 5, and (to keep it vague) there's a plot line where rebel forces establish their own alternative galactic TV station. Before it goes live, it shows...an old-fashioned test pattern. :lol:
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Octavious wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:20 pm Jesus a data limit on watching tv? Ridiculous that a data limit even exists. Somehow Optimum hasn't done that yet, but I'm sure it will come at some point.
Xfinity is happy to sell you a data plan with no cap...for $30/month extra. Might actually be an improvement over before, I remember it being $50. I just deal with the data cap. Also, they don't count TV viewing through their streaming app.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Does Xfinity still remove the data cap if you use their home networking stuff though? I remember you could avoid the cap by just getting one of their cable modem/routers at one point. It was the cheaper way to get around their "no cap tier".
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:33 pm Does Xfinity still remove the data cap if you use their home networking stuff though? I remember you could avoid the cap by just getting one of their cable modem/routers at one point. It was the cheaper way to get around their "no cap tier".
Yes, and it is still cheaper (it's the "Xfi Complete" plan.) Instead of paying $30 for the unlimited data, you pay $25 for perpetual equipment rental, and you have to deal with Xfinity's equipment.

The last bit there was why I ended up going for the extra $30 - their equipment is designed for grandma. It makes it really simple to connect to the internet - but if you ever need to forward a port for a game so that you can host your friends, or adjust any advanced setting - well, good luck. I spent something like ten hours on the phone just trying to figure out how to access an option to configure my ports to solve a problem before figuring out that they really, really don't want you messing with any settings - after all, if you can't mess up the settings, they don't have to provide as much support.

I ordered a new modem and router that same day (and I figure that I had probably paid $1500 in rental fees on their old one by that point.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Why would they? To them you're just a wallet. They want you sitting there not fiddling with anything and watching their streams. If they have to deal with you or help you then thats on their dime.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'd say that it's more that they're like Microsoft or Apple: They much prefer that you do things the way that they designed them, as they designed them to bring the maximum benefit to themselves. When you start changing things, you are not serving their interests as well. And thus options are slowly removed, and the viability of alternatives is slowly eroded.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:48 pm Today was finally the day. There was no flexibility coming off a $140 a month bill, so now I'm Internet only for $40.99 a month plus all the extra fees. We'll see what that means in a month. Time to get the antenna working, I guess, for news. My TiVo is now useless.
Either there is an outage or they finally cut my cable. It was a good run. Now I'll have to figure out what will keep me company. Some network station or another.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:48 pm
LordMortis wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:48 pm Today was finally the day. There was no flexibility coming off a $140 a month bill, so now I'm Internet only for $40.99 a month plus all the extra fees. We'll see what that means in a month. Time to get the antenna working, I guess, for news. My TiVo is now useless.
Either there is an outage or they finally cut my cable. It was a good run. Now I'll have to figure out what will keep me company. Some network station or another.
interesting about the timing, as the 'cable shutoff delay' was exactly six months (to the day).
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

And it's back on this morning. *shrug* I wasn't complaining. I was getting ready to disconnect TiVo and shut it down and CNBC comes right up. I am happy that I feel like the day was ruined without cable. I just shrugged and started streaming from a PC to keep me company.