I need a backup solution!

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kasey Chang

Re: I need a backup solution!

Post by Kasey Chang »

Got a different battery in. This one worked.

Took apart my old "WD My Book Essentials 1.5 TB", which had a WD Caviar Green inside. However, the PCB's fried.

Enlarge Image

I checked the online places. A replacement PCB is $30, but the labor to transplant the chips and whatnot will be well over $100. Well, into the trash this goes.

Hope I have better luck with my other dead external HD... But it's just media, no big deal.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Kasey Chang wrote:Got a different battery in. This one worked.

Took apart my old "WD My Book Essentials 1.5 TB", which had a WD Caviar Green inside. However, the PCB's fried.

Enlarge Image

I checked the online places. A replacement PCB is $30, but the labor to transplant the chips and whatnot will be well over $100. Well, into the trash this goes.

Hope I have better luck with my other dead external HD... But it's just media, no big deal.
Hold off on tossing it.
IIRC, It is not that hard to replace the PCB. Biggest issue is having the correct screwdrivers. If you are going to toss it anyway, practice on the broken one. take it apart and see if it is easy for you.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

stessier wrote:I'm good with that - thanks. Has anyone used Carbonite? That looks like the premium version will do it as well.
I use the basic one on my main PC. No need to backup the external drives since the external drives are backing up the same things I backup on my PC to carbonite.
Takes a while to upload if you have a lot of data and you do need to go through and set things up to be backed up (the automated one doesn't do so well in my situation. I have too many internal drives and multiple folders in each, but don't need to backup everything.)
My only complaint is that if a drive dies and Carbonite can't back it up, Carbonite only gives you 30 days to do a restore before they delete the data. no way around this, but for the price, I can't complain.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I also think that both Carbonite and CrashPlan will send you your data on a hard drive in the event of a disaster (for a fee). Which is good as it would take forever to reclaim the data otherwise.

I have a few backup sets on three different PCs that backup to a 4TB external drive on one of my desktops. Then the critical data gets sent up to the cloud. All of my non-essential media (mp3s, movie rips, etc) is backed up to my Amazon cloud drive, since that never changes.

Home movies and family pictures get sent to both. The Mrs is overly paranoid about losing that stuff.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Punisher wrote:
Kasey Chang wrote: Took apart my old "WD My Book Essentials 1.5 TB", which had a WD Caviar Green inside. However, the PCB's fried.

Enlarge Image

It is not that hard to replace the PCB. Biggest issue is having the correct screwdrivers.
It's not just the PCB. I also need to transfer the EEPROM chip on the board which is surface mounted and difficult to remove cleanly. Just replacing the PCB means I lose all the bad sectors and whatnot and no telling how the HD would react.

I have a set of the screwdrivers but I can only get one of the screws out. These hex screws are PITA.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Welp, I'm off to search for a replacement to Crashplan since they just announced they are discontinuing the home/personal backup option. &%$@^#@$#! :grund:

Considering Carbonite or Backblaze. Anyone tried both of those to compare? I might give precedent to whichever company seems more stable, and "likely to be around" in a year or five. Though these days, that is difficult to do.

This would be a perfect time and fit for Amazon to offer a Crashplan like service to Prime members. They already have the infrastructure and the resources in place, and I would bet a year's salary they will be around in 5 years. I considered using Amazon Cloud as a backup solution at one point, but to get it to work even somewhat like a dedicated backup solution, you had to add in 3rd party apps, which I was not crazy about.

An angry Wirecutter author's recommendation (which was up until yesterday, Crashplan):

"For easy online backups, switch to Backblaze. I like Backblaze, and everyone I know who has used it likes it too. It was the runner-up in my Wirecutter article, but now it will move into first place. Backblaze is fast, reliable, and secure, and it costs $5 per month per computer. It wasn’t my first choice because, unlike CrashPlan, it doesn’t offer peer-to-peer backups (that is, you back up to my computer while I back up to yours), local backups (where you keep an extra copy of your data on a nearby hard drive or RAID), or a multi-user discount for families; and because the process of restoring files requires more steps than with CrashPlan and most other competitors. In addition, Backblaze stores deleted files and older versions of files for only 30 days, whereas CrashPlan lets you keep them indefinitely. However, Backblaze has the killer feature of still being available, in light of which those shortcomings seem comparatively minor. I will be moving my family’s online backups to Backblaze."
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

This is the second time that my cloud-based backup service has forsaken me (first Mozy and now CrashPlan). Carbonite has been around a long time, although I don't know that it has the configuration capabilities that CrashPlan has (defining different backup sets and sending them off to different backup destinations). I'm annoyed.
Make up bags of change
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Count me among the annoyed.

I didn't read the fine print in Crashplan's recommendation of Carbonite -- did they say they'd handle transferring the data over on our behalf? I didn't have an ISP with a monthly data cap when I did my initial Crashplan upload, but now I do. Even using Crashplan's option of mailing in a seed drive, I still had a ton to upload, and I'm not looking forward to doing that again.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

wonderpug wrote:Count me among the annoyed.

I didn't read the fine print in Crashplan's recommendation of Carbonite -- did they say they'd handle transferring the data over on our behalf? I didn't have an ISP with a monthly data cap when I did my initial Crashplan upload, but now I do. Even using Crashplan's option of mailing in a seed drive, I still had a ton to upload, and I'm not looking forward to doing that again.
Yes, if you choose Carbonite then CrashPlan handles sending your data over; you don't have to re-upload.

I am likely going with BackBlaze. I liked them back when I was testing alternatives to JungleDisk and eventually wound up with CrashPlan. Carbonite's good, but BackBlaze is cheaper with fewer restrictions and they've earned some goodwill with me via their storage pod / disk data write-ups over the years. It's a bummer that I have to re-upload, but I think I can manage that by being careful how much I allow to go up in a particular month. I have until March to finish (when my CrashPlan sub will expire) and it won't take nearly that long.

It's a big mindset change moving from CrashPlan to BackBlaze--CrashPlan focused on backup sets where you'd set options and file selections for various backup sets. BackBlaze takes the opposite philosophy--it backs up everything except the OS and folder names/file types you specifically exclude. There's no file browser anywhere in the app. I do like that you can get a drive sent to you for restores at no charge (well, they charge you and then refund it when you return the drive). And they do allow use of a private encryption key so your data is inaccessible to them.

I started the 15-day trial of BackBlaze yesterday and will see whether I'm still happy with it in 14 more days.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Another Crashplan user looking for a new solution.

The wrinkle with my setup is most of my data is on a Synology NAS. My current setup has Crashplan installed on my MacMini backing up the mounted volumes from the NAS. I suppose I should just use the backup app on the NAS itself - I think I was worried about the overhead on my DS413j.

I'll probably go with Carbonite as they have an app for Synology and also seem to support backing up network drives in Windows (when I went with Crashplan they only supported backing up network drives on Mac).
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Exodor wrote:I'll probably go with Carbonite as they have an app for Synology and also seem to support backing up network drives in Windows (when I went with Crashplan they only supported backing up network drives on Mac).
If Carbonite can back up to a network drive in Windows, that would be huge. It enraged me that CrashPlan couldn't figure that out.
Make up bags of change
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Between Carbonite and Backblaze, does anyone know if both have apps where you can view or open backed up files?

One thing I appreciated about Crashplan was their mobile app was quite good, and I could pick an individual file via a simple file viewer, and view it, or download it. VERY nice feature.

Edit: Yes, to for both, but no idea how well implemented they are. Gah, both have terrible reviews ONE and half stars for one, and two and half for the other.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I haven't tried Carbonite's, but Backblaze's is OK. Seems at least on par with CrashPlan's. It is a little slow to browse, but I'm not sure if that's normal or due to the fact that my initial backup is still in progress.

It also lets you search your backup, which CrashPlan did not do.
naednek

Post by naednek »

GRRRR

I have the free option of Crashplan. I have all 3 computers backing up to a 3 TB drive. My media center, my wife's laptop which is low on data usage, and mine. I don't use their cloud and I don't understand why I can't just use their engine to continue backing up my data. I really don't want to have to pay for backing up. Is there anything out there that offers a free option that doesn't have to use the cloud?
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

You can probably use Windows' built-in File History to back up to an external drive, at least for the PC the drive is attached to.

And here is my obligatory IT-guy mention that if you're backing up only to a location that primarily resides in your home, you're not really backing up.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

RunningMn9 wrote:This is the second time that my cloud-based backup service has forsaken me (first Mozy and now CrashPlan).
Have you considered you're bankrupting cloud-based backup services with your needs? :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Smoove_B wrote:Have you considered you're bankrupting cloud-based backup services with your needs? :D
Yes. :)
Make up bags of change
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Do any of these alternatives let me choose what files I want to back up, while also allowing me to back up TO a network drive? Crashplan would never let me do that (the networked drive part) and that was displeasing to me.
Make up bags of change
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

RunningMn9 wrote:Do any of these alternatives let me choose what files I want to back up, while also allowing me to back up TO a network drive? Crashplan would never let me do that (the networked drive part) and that was displeasing to me.
Backblaze does not. It's strictly a your-computer-to-their-cloud thing.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

It's amazing how much it matters how you name your product. This thread is the first I've heard of Backblaze, and I keep thinking of how it evokes an image of taking my stored data out back and setting it on fire. Crashplan and Carbonite sound like safe products from the get-go, and Mozy is abstract enough to be fine.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

What I want is the ability to define different sets of data, and to back each of those data sets to one or more destinations (cloud, local, network). It shouldn't be this hard. :)
Make up bags of change
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

RunningMn9 wrote:What I want is the ability to define different sets of data, and to back each of those data sets to one or more destinations (cloud, local, network). It shouldn't be this hard. :)
What you want is CrashPlan for Business. :)
wonderpug wrote:It's amazing how much it matters how you name your product. This thread is the first I've heard of Backblaze, and I keep thinking of how it evokes an image of taking my stored data out back and setting it on fire. Crashplan and Carbonite sound like safe products from the get-go, and Mozy is abstract enough to be fine.
Agreed. It's a terrible name.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

RunningMn9 wrote:What I want is the ability to define different sets of data, and to back each of those data sets to one or more destinations (cloud, local, network). It shouldn't be this hard. :)
You may want to investigate Lifehacker's suggested alternative:
Lifehacker.com wrote:Choose Your Own Backup Service

Users who want to exercise a bit more control over their backup service can build their own with a combination of the right cloud backup software and cloud storage service. Cloud backup software like Arq operates in the same manner as CrashPlan and Backblaze, storing your files securely in an offsite location.

Arq can backup your entire computer or just select folders. It backs up network drives, external drives, files of any size, and stores your data in whichever cloud storage service you choose, whether it be from Google, Amazon, Microsoft, or whomever. You can even store the data on your own server or NAS, though keeping a backup of your data in another location (like an offsite server) is recommended. You’ll have to pay for the cloud storage on whichever platform you choose, but Arq’s $50 one-time purchase price and the ability to only pay for as much data you need could save you money in the long-term.
You can get a basic idea of pricing with various cloud storage services on the Arq features page.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Zaxxon wrote:What you want is CrashPlan for Business.
I'm starting to draw the same conclusion. :)

AB - thanks for the link, will check that out.
Make up bags of change
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

I've been using Acronis for a number of years, switched briefly to CrashPlan but didn't really like it. With Acronis, I like that I can backup files or a disk image and they can be local, cloud, NAS, etc. It's called True Image 2018 if you want to check it out.
-mf
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Zaxxon wrote:What you want is CrashPlan for Business. :)
I made the decision this morning to just switch to CrashPlan Pro. I was already paying them for the Home service so that I could access features like backup sets and cloud storage - and that was $14 per month. For the next year, that will drop to $5 per month. The only feature that I seem to have lost is that my wife's computer can't back up to my computer anymore. But all 809GB of her data is already backed up to their cloud service, and an external drive on her PC, so that wasn't a particularly critical feature.

I'll figure out if I need to do something different by Nov 1 of 2018, when this jumps to $20/month.
Make up bags of change
stessier

Post by stessier »

So did we reach a consensus on the best method for today? The Pro plan RM9 is using seems a bit much for my needs.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:38 pm So did we reach a consensus on the best method for today? The Pro plan RM9 is using seems a bit much for my needs.
I've been happy with BackBlaze since I made the switch from CP. Doesn't give the same flexibility for local backups, but its cloud backup is rock-solid. Easy to do it in batches as well (if your bandwidth cap requires), by excluding certain folders, then removing the exclusion when you enter a new month.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I’m moving to Backblaze.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

stessier wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:38 pm So did we reach a consensus on the best method for today? The Pro plan RM9 is using seems a bit much for my needs.
I've narrowed my choice down to BackBlaze or IDrive. Both seem to get top marks a lot. I think I like BackBlaze more overall -- small footprint on CPU/memory, lower cost, no storage cap -- but I'll probably go with IDrive. BackBlaze doesn't have an option to load things onto a physical drive for the initial data transfer, but IDrive does. I've got nearly 2TB of data to back up, and a 300GB monthly data cap from my ISP. Even if I could dedicate my entire monthly allowance to uploading my files, it'd take 6 months to transfer everything to BackBlaze.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I've signed up for Backblaze. It says the backup will take 397 days. That's a long time, but I do have almost a TB to back up (kids pictures take a lost of space). Wish there was a faster way.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

Hmm, I have to poke around a bit more - I don't think I really have that much to back up - I'm thinking it's closer to 100-200 GB - but Backblaze is finding 750 GB (after I figured out how to exclude Blizzard and Steam folders).
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

The length of time involved to back things up again was a big part of my decision. Moving to CP for Business was instant. And the $8 per month discount for a year didn’t hurt things. We’ll see how I feel when it jumps to $20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Make up bags of change
stessier

Post by stessier »

My time is down to 31 days and I didn't exclude anything else. This weekend I plan to go through and see if there is more I can exclude. It's only got 12k files left out of an original 69k.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Is Backblaze that much slower than Crashplan re upload speeds?

Are your crazy upload estimates over WiFi, or Ethernet, Stessier?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

It's inherently no slower than CrashPlan, in my experience. Aside from not being able to send in your files on disk to seed the backup.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:03 pm Is Backblaze that much slower than Crashplan re upload speeds?

Are your crazy upload estimates over WiFi, or Ethernet, Stessier?
Wired ethernet. We didn't even use the computer yesterday - it had all the processing power it needed. I have the settings maxed to "prioritize upload even if it slows down the connection for others" and have it working with 4 threads. We only have a 4Mb upload connection but it was only using 1 Mb from what I could tell.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Hmm, that is something I need to consider before picking one. I think the Wirecutter review (or maybe Reviewd) compared upload speeds between the offerings. Should go back and look at that.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Backblaze seems to prioritize smaller files on initial backup, so that it can use the time most efficiently (eg like you saw, you got the vast majority of your files done in the first day). When it does that, your upload bandwidth will naturally be less saturated since it's spending more time processing and packaging those files.

For me, when it's actually trying its hardest to send large files, my upstream bandwidth is as pegged as I've configured it to be (eg 10 or 11 Mbps in use by Backblaze out of an available 11).
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:52 pm Backblaze seems to prioritize smaller files on initial backup, so that it can use the time most efficiently (eg like you saw, you got the vast majority of your files done in the first day). When it does that, your upload bandwidth will naturally be less saturated since it's spending more time processing and packaging those files.

For me, when it's actually trying its hardest to send large files, my upstream bandwidth is as pegged as I've configured it to be (eg 10 or 11 Mbps in use by Backblaze out of an available 11).
That would make sense. I'll check back tonight and report back on how it's doing. I also have to check what those first 40k files were...it doesn't backup the operating system or temp internet files so I'm really curious.