Tapatalk question

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

Odin

Tapatalk question

Post by Odin »

I think I get the gist that Tapatalk is an app to let you post to the forums from a mobile phone or somesuch, but I have to ask - is the "Sent from Tapatalk" sig a mandatory part of the app, or can it be turned off? Because holy hell it's annoying as fuck to think I'm reading the last line in a post only to find out that it's actually just this app informing me of something I couldn't possibly want or need to know.

If it's possible to turn it off, consider this a heartfelt plea to do so. If it cannot be turned off.... gah.
godhugh
Forum Admin

Tapatalk question

Post by godhugh »

Odin wrote:I think I get the gist that Tapatalk is an app to let you post to the forums from a mobile phone or somesuch, but I have to ask - is the "Sent from Tapatalk" sig a mandatory part of the app, or can it be turned off? Because holy hell it's annoying as fuck to think I'm reading the last line in a post only to find out that it's actually just this app informing me of something I couldn't possibly want or need to know.

If it's possible to turn it off, consider this a heartfelt plea to do so. If it cannot be turned off.... gah.
It can be turned off. This post is actually being made from Tapatalk but you'd never know it.
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Re: Tapatalk question

Post by $iljanus »

I'll turn it off just for you sweetums! :D

-This is the last time you'll know this is sent through that Tapatalk thing.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Odin

Post by Odin »

$iljanus wrote:I'll turn it off just for you sweetums! :D

-This is the last time you'll know this is sent through that Tapatalk thing.
You're a prince among men! Seriously! Thanks!
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

It bothers you that much? I got used to ignoring them and liked the distinction between my computer and phone posts, but I'm not that attached.

silverjon now disabling tapatalk signature
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Odin

Post by Odin »

silverjon wrote:It bothers you that much? I got used to ignoring them and liked the distinction between my computer and phone posts, but I'm not that attached.

silverjon now disabling tapatalk signature
Yeah, they catch me every damn time. I'm always like, "Hmm, and what else do they have to say here? Wha?? Tapatalk again? Dammittt!!!"

Anyway, thank you very much!
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Count me in as one who isn't a fan of the tapatalk sig that's not a sig. Thanks to those disabling it.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Thanks to the adjusting users, and thanks especially to Odin for taking point on taking the heat on this one. He's not the only user who holds this opinion.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
WPD

Post by WPD »

Odin is a true god among men for bringing this issue to the forefront.
Later ya'll.
Canuck

Tapatalk question

Post by Canuck »

I don't like it either. It bothers me as much as if someone ended each of their posts as, 'written while I wear my Rolex Submariner watch'
Oh and this was also sent from tapatalk.
WarPig

Post by WarPig »

Bowing to peer pressure and the desire to not provoke the ire of a Norse god, no longer will my mobile posts end in a Tapatalk signature. Including this one.
"Your test assignment will vary depending on the manner in which you have bent the world to your will." - Cave Johnson
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

OCCUPY TAPATALK!
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Tapatalk is prone to double posting (aka double tap) if you have a bad connection. I use it to check in while waiting for calls/meetings at work now.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Ha! I never down loaded Taptalk cause I didn't want that sig to show up with my posts.
I leave the sig on the iPhone so people can make the distinction but added some spaces so it's lower down and not the next line making it confusing while reading. Going to see if I can make the sig smaller using brackets because I understand how it could be unliked.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Odin

Post by Odin »

Wow - nice response! HUGE thanks to everybody who took my request to heart and disabled the sig. I truly appreciate it.

And thanks also to those who confirmed I wasn't alone.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

An interesting observation about leaving your tapatalk signature enabled. When I did a forum search on "iPhone" it pulled up every single post with a tapatalk signature (from an iPhone). None of the results were related to a discussion about the actual iPhone (at least not for a while). If that isn't reason enough to disable it, I don't know what is.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote:An interesting observation about leaving your tapatalk signature enabled. When I did a forum search on "iPhone" it pulled up every single post with a tapatalk signature (from an iPhone). None of the results were related to a discussion about the actual iPhone (at least not for a while). If that isn't reason enough to disable it, I don't know what is.
That is reason enough for me to finish every one of my posts with the word iPhone.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Odin

Post by Odin »

Any reason's a good reason as far as I'm concerned! :D
deadzone

Post by deadzone »

I am so offended by your request that I edited my tapatalk signature to make it more annoying by capitalizing everything and adding several exclamations!!! ;)
Odin

Post by Odin »

deadzone wrote:I am so offended by your request that I edited my tapatalk signature to make it more annoying by capitalizing everything and adding several exclamations!!! ;)
I can see that you're joking from the lack of a tapatalk sig in this very message, but I swear there's somebody who has modified their tapatalk disclaimer so that it appears even more prominently in their posts. I'm baffled why anybody would think it was necessary to brag about their fancy computing device in every single post, as if anyone cares.

It is very cool, though, of all those folks who took the time to disable it. I, for one, can't think of a single instance where I thought "holy hell, the grammar and spelling in this post is abysmal. I wonder if they're using tapatalk or something like that!?" except of course for posts by Lordmortis, who doesn't use tapatalk anyway. :D
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Odin wrote:It is very cool, though, of all those folks who took the time to disable it. I, for one, can't think of a single instance where I thought "holy hell, the grammar and spelling in this post is abysmal. I wonder if they're using tapatalk or something like that!?" except of course for posts by Lordmortis, who doesn't use tapatalk anyway. :D
I have on at least one occassion seen some weirdness in a post and attributed to autocorrect. More people may be getting a pass due to the possibility of tapatalk.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Odin

Post by Odin »

coopasonic wrote:
Odin wrote:It is very cool, though, of all those folks who took the time to disable it. I, for one, can't think of a single instance where I thought "holy hell, the grammar and spelling in this post is abysmal. I wonder if they're using tapatalk or something like that!?" except of course for posts by Lordmortis, who doesn't use tapatalk anyway. :D
I have on at least one occassion seen some weirdness in a post and attributed to autocorrect. More people may be getting a pass due to the possibility of tapatalk.
That's probably so, but really, what's the difference? Do we really react to the posts any differently when we know tapatalk's involved or when we suspect tapatalk's involved or when we know tapatalk definitely is not involved? People make typos. It happens. No big deal. If autocorrect actually does bollux something up completely, people would get that same pass if they had to come back later and say, "oops, damn autocorrect." Which they'd likely need to do anyway even if everybody knew they were using Tapatalk. Ergo, the constant nag-sig just isn't necessary or particularly helpful, IMO.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'm on your side on this. I hate seeing the tapatalk line, I just couldn't be bothered to initiate a complaint about it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Odin

Post by Odin »

coopasonic wrote:I'm on your side on this. I hate seeing the tapatalk line, I just couldn't be bothered to initiate a complaint about it.
Thanks. I wasn't so much responding to you, as to the (mistaken, IMO) notion that there's a genuine need to notify people when one's using this software.
deadzone

Post by deadzone »

Heh, yep definitely kidding with you Odin! ;) It's good info IMHO as I was not aware of the signature thing until you guys mentioned it. Regardless, I'm happy to turn it off as I don't want an auto signature anyway. Sorry for the annoyance in any case. :)
deadzone

Post by deadzone »

I'm not bragging about my awesome original iPad that crashes to the home screen every hour or so no matter what program I am in buuutttt, it's the only way I can still keep up with my oo peeps as I can't wrestle the laptop from my wife's hands these days! Heck I was so thrilled to find an app I could use that's serviceable with my terrible eyesight that I pretty much set up the oo forums and neglected to check settings for the app itself. Hence the stupid signature oversight on my part. ;)
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Thanks guys for the heads up. I got my wife an iPad 4 for xmas And I took over the iPad 1. Wow this is great. I will be getting into some iOS gaming that totally makes sense on the iPad instead of my tiny iPhone. And after getting more familiar with this toy I can see iris vastly archaic compared to the iPad 4.

But back to topic - when I went to this forum it prompted me to tapatalk. I check it out on line and found this is so much better than the browser. Plus now I can see all my forum notifications - a function I lost on my computer. I have 15 messages in my inbox. Sorry Detroit folks

So the only thing left is to figure out how to disable the tapatalk sig ... Or should I?????
AKA: Dajjer
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Update:

Ran over to my rig and I see no tapatalk sig. Must be some kind of update that disabled it by default.

Oth, I'm gonna miss my google spellchecker.
AKA: Dajjer
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Forgive me this wasted post. I wanted to test Tapatalk 2 and check for a sig line.
I have but one advocate.
Odin

Post by Odin »

JetFred wrote:Forgive me this wasted post. I wanted to test Tapatalk 2 and check for a sig line.
I don't consider it wasted in the least. :wink:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Sent from my communicator from the Alpha Centauri System.

:ninja:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm getting a message that our API has expired.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Isgrimnur wrote:I'm getting a message that our API has expired.
Well you know expiration dates are just guidelines.

:ninja:
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Isgrimnur wrote:I'm getting a message that our API has expired.
Is that with the tapatalk 4 beta?

tapatalkin'
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

No. It's the main app store version. Tapatalk - Community Reader v 1.17.1
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Isgrimnur wrote:No. It's the main app store version. Tapatalk - Community Reader v 1.17.1
Was thinking I had seen that whist trying 4b. Ah well.

tapatalk4in'
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

So I'm using standard Tapatalk version 1.7.1, and today I spotted a what appears to be an ad, it's listed as a "Latest" under Everything But Gaming, and it's from Phoenix Age Inc, screaming "Underworld Empire: THE BEST ONLINE CRIME SYNDICATE". If you click on the forum link, it instead routes you to the app store, where I can feel free to download the app.

Anyone else seeing this?

Edit: Found this explanation on another forum...wonder if the expired API is triggering this?
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Started seeing that last night as well. Irritates me no end.
UPDATE: it appears that there is an opt-out feature for forum owners to prevent ads from showing up in their forums, but Tapatalk is set to opt-in by default. XDA administrator js1999 recently posted that the issue has been resolved on XDA's end. This still is a rather sneaky ploy by Tapatalk, especially due to the ads being shown by default and Tapatalk's failure to communicate this to forum administrators BEFORE implementing this feature. Furthermore, js1999 still maintains that XDA has received no compensation for these supplemental ads (which is not surprising to me, since these ads only recently began appearing - the advertiser would still have to receive the clicks and pay Tapatalk, who would then in turn pay the forum owners).
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

D.A.Lewis wrote:So the only thing left is to figure out how to disable the tapatalk sig ... Or should I?????
Of course not! Make it bigger, then bold it, and use red letters just to piss Odin off. :twisted:

I actually thought we used the sigs to make sure Tapatalk-hating Rip knows how many of us rely on it to get our OO fixes, lest he try to pull a fast one on the server end. We are LEGION, Rip! :D