The Hunger Games

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: The Hunger Games

Post by hepcat »

Moliere wrote:The Onion Reviews 'The Hunger Games: Catching Fire'

:D Given the target audience he nails the key deficiency of this movie.
that was hilarious. :lol:
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Dang, just finished reading the trilogy (spurred by the desire to watch the films), and now, as usual, I am 3 years behind everyone else.

Anyone want to discuss the books belatedly? I have some axes to grind. :D

I thought they were very good, but not great. As mentioned previously, first best, second very good, last was still pretty good, but not as tight as first two.

Lots of holes in the writing (IMO), lots of cases where I was drawn out of the world due to thinking "that's just not believable" (from a character behavior standpoint, not from synergistic, organic Death Bows + 12, perspective)

But again, overall, I would say 7.5/10 maybe? I can't ignore the fact that I couldn't stop reading, so kudos for that.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Dang, just finished reading the trilogy (spurred by the desire to watch the films), and now, as usual, I am 3 years behind everyone else.

I thought they were very good, but not great. As mentioned previously, first best, second very good, last was still pretty good, but not as tight as first two.

Lots of holes in the writing (IMO), lots of cases where I was drawn out of the world due to thinking "that's just not believable" (from a character behavior standpoint, not from synergistic, organic Death Bows + 12, perspective)

But again, overall, I would say 7.5/10 maybe? I can't ignore the fact that I couldn't stop reading, so kudos for that.
The important question (and I feel like it's been discussed recently, so forgive me if my memory is crappy) is are you going to read the Divergent trilogy now?
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

MHS wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:Dang, just finished reading the trilogy (spurred by the desire to watch the films), and now, as usual, I am 3 years behind everyone else.

The important question (and I feel like it's been discussed recently, so forgive me if my memory is crappy) is are you going to read the Divergent trilogy now?
Had not planned to - never heard of it. But reading about it on Amazon, probably not. I'm on a bit of dystopia overload ATM, and it also appears to be a teen-ish book? (like Hunger Games maybe, but was not aware of that fact before delving in for some reason).

Currently reading "The Cthulu Mythos MegaPack" on Kindle.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

The Divergent series is really good. It's in the Young Adult genre, yes, but it has the same universal appeal as other YA books like Hunger Games and Harry Potter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Paid IMAX prices to see the finale (my choosing). It was ... semi-competent. The ending was kind of a letdown. There's no picture of the aftermath of the climax, no exploration of whether it was all worth it. Just a change of scenery, a jump to the future, and roll credits.

I had toyed with the idea of renting them on streaming to go through again, but now I doubt I'll return to the series.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We rented the first two and thought they were OK. Didn't see the last one because part 1 of 2 and lousy reviews. Are the last two movies worth four hours of my lifespan?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'd say that there are better ways to spend that time.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

We started to watch the first of the last two movies last weekend (it's streaming on Amazon Prime) and we were so confused in the first five minutes that it looks like we'll have to watch the second movie again. Not sure I care enough to do so...

Loved the books though, read all three during a week vacation in Jamaica. Set and setting maybe?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm a big fan of dystopian fiction, so maybe it's not a surprise, but I enjoyed all of the Hunger Games movies (haven't read the books). And I enjoyed the Mockingjay movies the most - I liked how they focused on the propaganda aspect of the civil war, and didn't have a pollyanna-ish view of revolution against a brutal dictator (whereas most action-ish movies tend to have a "woo! The rebellion won, everything is great!").

Of course, you do have to swallow some leaps of logic, such as Katniss' bow and arrow being shockingly effective in modern combat. But then, I can ultimately get over Ewoks beating Stormtroopers, so...
Black Lives Matter.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Z-Corn wrote:We started to watch the first of the last two movies last weekend (it's streaming on Amazon Prime) and we were so confused in the first five minutes that it looks like we'll have to watch the second movie again. Not sure I care enough to do so...

Loved the books though, read all three during a week vacation in Jamaica. Set and setting maybe?
Book 3 was a bit of a mess as well. A long slog to an ending which didn't quite live up to the first two books. I'm not surprised it didn't translate well to the screen, though part 2 should be better.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image

PRE-PRODUCTION
Expected 2023
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

sigh
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Saw the trailer for this yesterday on YouTube. It looks horrible.
Black Lives Matter