The Hunger Games

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

Re: The Hunger Games

Post by Smoove_B »

Odin wrote:With all of that in mind, it's just fine (with me, anyway) if the movie version of Katniss Everdeen isn't an emaciated waif.
I'm sure the books and movie would have been terrific if a malnourished Katniss died within the first 30 pages because she was too weak to stand up.

Also - everyone focusing on how much she weighs is clearly missing the point of the entire series. More specifically, which boy is cuter and therefore a better match for her.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Smoove_B wrote:Also - everyone focusing on how much she weighs is clearly missing the point of the entire series. More specifically, which boy is cuter and therefore a better match for her.
This is the point of the book if you're a fan of Twilight. For everyone else it's a subplot at best.

I know you're kidding around but people are saying that with a straight face.

It's about which boy is cuter in the same way that Star Wars was about whether Leia was going to sexify her brother or the angry loner who plays by nobody's rules, not even his own.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Smoove_B wrote:Also - everyone focusing on how much she weighs is clearly missing the point of the entire series. More specifically, which boy is cuter and therefore a better match for her.
And the kissing! Don't forget the kissing!
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

Odin wrote:
Smutly wrote:That's all you got?
That's probably a sign that it's time to bow out gracefully, use the ignore feature, or just change topics. You're not having a discussion anymore, you're just pissing.
My point was that we weren't having a discussion. I was making points -- he wasn't. In any case, I'm done. It's not against the law to make snarky comments and is obviously within the guidelines here.
Black Lives Matter*

*Terms and Conditions Apply
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

GreenGoo wrote: I had forgotten that the winner brought in more rations for he's/her district. Weird. I think that idea even goes away in the books for the most part. When Katniss returns to her district I don't recall any talk about everyone being happy and expecting more food. Perhaps this is another idea that the author brought up and then dropped. Or perhaps my memory is failing me.
There is a bit mentioned in the second book where
Spoiler:
right after Gale gets whipped by the new Commander of Peacekeepers, their extra rations seem to get "delayed" or "spoiled" somehow, and it's not as regular as it's supposed to be. This, of course, further spurns the decision she makes near the beginning of the story on who to side with in the Peeta/Gale situation.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
raydude

Post by raydude »

Hyena wrote:
GreenGoo wrote: I had forgotten that the winner brought in more rations for he's/her district. Weird. I think that idea even goes away in the books for the most part. When Katniss returns to her district I don't recall any talk about everyone being happy and expecting more food. Perhaps this is another idea that the author brought up and then dropped. Or perhaps my memory is failing me.
Spoiler:
right after Gale gets whipped by the new Commander of Peacekeepers, their extra rations seem to get "delayed" or "spoiled" somehow, and it's not as regular as it's supposed to be. This, of course, further spurns the decision she makes near the beginning of the story on who to side with in the Peeta/Gale situation.
Yeah, there are several mentions of what the winning district gets in Book 2. For example:
Spoiler:
Parcel Day, once per month where food packages are delivered to every person in the district. Then later on a reference to how, even with Parcel Day, Gale's brother Vick talks about how they ration out a can of corn syrup from Parcel Day. Then finally, after the troubles begin, how the long awaited food for Parcel Day finally arrives, spoiled and defiled by rodents.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Smutly wrote:
Odin wrote:
Smutly wrote:That's all you got?
That's probably a sign that it's time to bow out gracefully, use the ignore feature, or just change topics. You're not having a discussion anymore, you're just pissing.
My point was that we weren't having a discussion. I was making points -- he wasn't. In any case, I'm done. It's not against the law to make snarky comments and is obviously within the guidelines here.
You were making points so outrageous that they were worthy of mockery. Hence, my responses.
Hodor.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

raydude wrote:
Hyena wrote:
Spoiler:
Yeah, there are several mentions of what the winning district gets in Book 2. For example:
Spoiler:
Parcel Day, once per month where food packages are delivered to every person in the district. Then later on a reference to how, even with Parcel Day, Gale's brother Vick talks about how they ration out a can of corn syrup from Parcel Day. Then finally, after the troubles begin, how the long awaited food for Parcel Day finally arrives, spoiled and defiled by rodents.
Thanks.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Oh, yeah, she's a fatty all right....

Hot dayum, girl.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

Did Roman slaves really look as well-fed as Kirk Douglas?
Popehat, a blog.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Mr. Fed wrote:Did Roman slaves really look as well-fed as Kirk Douglas?
I could never get into that movie. I mean, at that point in time, there was no ENGLISH for Christ's sake. They spoke LATIN in Rome, people! Dumbasses.
stessier

Post by stessier »

MHS wrote:Oh, yeah, she's a fatty all right....

Hot dayum, girl.
I'd bet serious money that image has been squeezed. I am in no way saying she's fat - she isn't - but she isn't a bean pole either.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Was Spartacus a reference to how hungry he was?

It's in the title of the freaking book.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Thracians were big boned.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Ænima

Post by Ænima »

Neither Peeta nor Gayle look like they've missed any sammiches. I wonder why no one has mentioned that?
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Actually Roman gladiators were generally well cared for. (Not that I disagree with your point however) :)
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

*emaciated gladiators slap feebly at each other while crowd looks on in apathy*
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

So, I'm surprised no one is talking about the following:
Spoiler:
The "hologram" dogs?! I mean, the fire stuff I can almost buy, but the arena was made out to be a wilderness with a bunch of cameras and a perimeter to keep the contestants within the game (fire). But, WTF were those mastiffs(?) supposed to be? Projections of lights...and,and force fields...and stuff?
If anything brought the movie down a notch, it was this scene.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Something about sufficiently advanced technology being indistinguishable from magic.
Spoiler:
They weren't holograms, they came up out of the ground. It was a hologram in the games masters room, but a real creature was released in the arena. It's not a wooded area with cameras. It's a massive sound stage. I thik the second movie will really drive that home. There's nothing natural about the arena.

With the dogs they did depart from the books. The dogs should have looked different. 8-)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
MHS

Post by MHS »

coopasonic wrote:Something about sufficiently advanced technology being indistinguishable from magic.
Spoiler:
They weren't holograms, they came up out of the ground. It was a hologram in the games masters room, but a real creature was released in the arena. It's not a wooded area with cameras. It's a massive sound stage. I thik the second movie will really drive that home. There's nothing natural about the arena.

With the dogs they did depart from the books. The dogs should have looked different. 8-)
I was glad they went a different direction from the books with that, too, as with their fx budget, I think sticking with the books would have looked SUPER cheesy.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Buatha wrote:So, I'm surprised no one is talking about the following:
Spoiler:
The "hologram" dogs?! I mean, the fire stuff I can almost buy, but the arena was made out to be a wilderness with a bunch of cameras and a perimeter to keep the contestants within the game (fire). But, WTF were those mastiffs(?) supposed to be? Projections of lights...and,and force fields...and stuff?
If anything brought the movie down a notch, it was this scene.
The dogs were genetically-engineered constructs, much like the mockingjay on Katniss's pin or the nest of tracker jackers she drops on the careers. In the books, they were actually made from the DNA of the fallen tributes, but that was removed in the film. Regardless, the Capitol has the capacity to alter the playing field more-or-less at will, from the tiny cameras hidden everywhere to the ability to generate explosive fireballs and aim them as needed. This may not have been explained to your satisfaction, but there you have it. My recollection is that it showed the dogs exploding up from the ground, so I believe we were to understand that they were being pushed up from holding areas underneath (the same way the tributes were delivered to their starting spots).
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Can we please focus on what is important here. Rawr.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ænima wrote:Neither Peeta nor Gayle look like they've missed any sammiches. I wonder why no one has mentioned that?
I mentioned that like 40 times. You can stop wondering.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

silverjon wrote:*emaciated gladiators slap feebly at each other while crowd looks on in apathy*
Katniss spent the weeks leading up to the games pigging out in an attempt to put on some weight so she wouldn't die of hunger in the first few days (if she couldn't find any food in game).

I'm NEVER letting this go. :lol:
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Odin wrote:This may not have been explained to your satisfaction, but there you have it. My recollection is that it showed the dogs exploding up from the ground, so I believe we were to understand that they were being pushed up from holding areas underneath (the same way the tributes were delivered to their starting spots).
Oh, okay, that makes sense. I can't exactly recall, but I thought he said something along the lines of "summon" me some dogs, they showed a holographic representation of the dog, then they were there. My colleague at work and my wife had the same impression, so it wasn't just me. :)
"Some people say never...I just say no"
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Remus West wrote: Can we please focus on what is important here. Rawr.
I could post a picture of her from X-Men: First Class, but that might be considered NSFW. :twisted:
Hodor.
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

GreenGoo wrote:
silverjon wrote:*emaciated gladiators slap feebly at each other while crowd looks on in apathy*
Katniss spent the weeks leading up to the games pigging out in an attempt to put on some weight so she wouldn't die of hunger in the first few days (if she couldn't find any food in game).

I'm NEVER letting this go. :lol:
It's strange. I can't find any photos of Katniss from the movie where I remember thinking she had too much meat on her bones. Plenty of her top, but very few from the movie of her legs.

:twisted:
Black Lives Matter*

*Terms and Conditions Apply
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Mockingjay director named:
Lionsgate announced on Thursday that The Hunger Games: Catching Fire director Francis Lawrence will remain with the franchise and direct parts 1 and 2 of The Hunger Games: Mockingjay.
The announcement means Lawrence, who’s been shooting Catching Fire since September, will have helmed three out of the four feature adaptations of Suzanne Collins’ best-selling YA novel series. The filmmaker, previously best known for 2007′s Will Smith thriller I Am Legend, stepped in to direct Catching Fire after The Hunger Games director Gary Ross left the franchise, citing concerns that the sequel’s production schedule was moving too quickly. (Catching Fire has been slated for a Nov. 22, 2013 release since Aug. 2011.)
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Are any of the books worthy of 2 films? That seems needlessly ambitious and self important. I mean, they just aren't that good, and as far as I know, have a smaller following than Harry Potter or Twilight.

Is there a big enough market for draw these stories out over multiple films?
MHS

Post by MHS »

GreenGoo wrote:Are any of the books worthy of 2 films? That seems needlessly ambitious and self important. I mean, they just aren't that good, and as far as I know, have a smaller following than Harry Potter or Twilight.

Considering how most people agree that the last book was the weakest of the three, I don't think it needed a two-part movie at all. Not sure whether there's a big enough market for it or not. I doubt I'll see the remaining movies in the theater either way.
Odin

Post by Odin »

MHS wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:Are any of the books worthy of 2 films? That seems needlessly ambitious and self important. I mean, they just aren't that good, and as far as I know, have a smaller following than Harry Potter or Twilight.

Considering how most people agree that the last book was the weakest of the three, I don't think it needed a two-part movie at all. Not sure whether there's a big enough market for it or not. I doubt I'll see the remaining movies in the theater either way.
Yeah, that was my thought as well. Turning the final movie into a two-parter just seems to be "the thing to do" these days, but it's emphatically not necessary in this case.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

MHS wrote:

Parts of Catching Fire are being shot with IMAX cameras. That's as good a reason as any to get my butt in a theatre for it.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Mrs Skinypupy finally talked me into watching Hunger Games with her on Monday. She loved it, I thought it was one of the least enjoyable movies I've seen in a long, long time. It alternated between boring and eye-rollingly stupid, with most of it being a combination of the two. The film's only redeeming factor was the change to ogle Jennifer Lawrence for a couple hours. Other than that, blech.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If you want to ogle Jennifer Lawrence for a couple more hours, I recommend Silver Linings Playbook. It'll get bonus points from the wife, as it's Oscar nominated. It also contains nontrivial amounts of football talk.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I started watching this today, about 10 minutes so far.

Question? Is this movie filmed entirely in shakeycam? Does it settle down and stop pretending to be a documentary? Because I am already starting to feel ill.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

The Onion Reviews 'The Hunger Games: Catching Fire'

:D Given the target audience he nails the key deficiency of this movie.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Moliere wrote:The Onion Reviews 'The Hunger Games: Catching Fire'

:D Given the target audience he nails the key deficiency of this movie.

Well, no reason for me to go see then.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

If they were being trained as gladiators, then probably yes. Or, to be more precise, they were given the nutrition required (just like the military). Romans were very good at physical training (fat-assed senators not withstanding) and did a good job meeting nutritional requirements to create pretty fearsome fighters. Gladiators were typically well cared-for until they were expected to die. If they were emaciated slaves, the gladiator revolt wouldn't have enjoyed the success it did and would not have posed a threat to the Roman government.
Black Lives Matter