Card Hunter: CCG combined with RPG Campaign

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Card Hunter: CCG combined with RPG Campaign

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:Timed out twice last night, wonder if they're hitting beta capacity.
Once I was told the beta only goes to 18, I figured I savor playing for the weekend. though I might try a ladder game or two just to see if they are any fun. The problem there is that I haven't actually studied the cards. :oops:
It takes a while. I'm only around 10 or so. I tend to keep replaying dungeons every day until they grey out.

Also, my Elf warrior started really getting roughed up so I dropped her and got a Human Warrior. Of course he was level 1. So I took twinked him and ran a bunch of dungeons 2-3 levels above him with my other characters. He levels once per dungeon so he's almost caught up. So that added some additional playtime. Plus I got the 20 of 20 roll for that epic item.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
LordMortis wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:Timed out twice last night, wonder if they're hitting beta capacity.
Once I was told the beta only goes to 18, I figured I savor playing for the weekend. though I might try a ladder game or two just to see if they are any fun. The problem there is that I haven't actually studied the cards. :oops:
It takes a while. I'm only around 10 or so. I tend to keep replaying dungeons every day until they grey out.

Also, my Elf warrior started really getting roughed up so I dropped her and got a Human Warrior. Of course he was level 1. So I took twinked him and ran a bunch of dungeons 2-3 levels above him with my other characters. He levels once per dungeon so he's almost caught up. So that added some additional playtime. Plus I got the 20 of 20 roll for that epic item.
Ah, I haven't replayed any dungeons. I think I have a human warrior, a dwarf wizard and a human cleric... I think. I know I have no elves.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

four in the morning? Whoops! Yeah. I guess I'm enjoying the game. And I gave it $10 so I could play the treasure dungeons. I'm at level 10 fighting level 9 dungeons and still not looking back. I'm to the point where I lose, have to retweak my guys and go back for seconds. I like it. I still haven't really played multiplayer yet.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Got up to level 14 yesterday and am playing the level 13 dungeons. Things really start to get difficult and take on some good strategy here. I've lost several dungeons that max times (4?) and I'm not going back to the treasure dungeon until I get tougher. I've also taken to retooling my characters mid adventure to beat guys certain dungeons. It's a good thing I haven't sold too much of equipment. Swapping equipment gets more and more important. Cant bash this, can't cut that, this explodes, the floor ucky there.

This is done really well.

I've also played a little MP yesterday and I enjoyed it. I'm not great at it but playing against people is making me better. Equipment swaps back and forth between MP and campaign, except for the starting equipment on your MP characters.
Malacheye

Post by Malacheye »

I've been waiting 8 months for a beta invite...you guys having all this fun is killing me :)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Malacheye wrote:I've been waiting 8 months for a beta invite...you guys having all this fun is killing me :)
You must have registered right after I did. I'm guessing you'll be invited on the next round which I'm guessing will be soon as I've been on for two weeks.

I really do enjoy the game so far. My "problem" is that I sit down at it too long. Each dungeon level takes about twenty minutes to play through but I end up wanting to play an entire dungeon which takes from an hour to an hour and a half if you don't die... And then I play one more... And then...

Multiplayer games are timed. The max time a side can take is 20 minutes, so the longest a multiplayer game could possibly be 40 minutes. I should start playing more of them. Only I'm not very good against people. :oops:

I've easily gotten my $10 worth of the game already.

______

And I got my first ever legendary item yesterday. It was treasure. Troll Cigars. So I sold it for 200 gold. :(
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Made it to level 15 last night while I was waiting for my BBQ to simmer down. If I get time tonight then I will playing with my first orange dotted equipment. I'm still on level 14 dungeons, so I have a little more play until I'm at the end of the beta campaign.

Assuming I finish the campaign this weekend, I'll still probably play some multiplayer, even if there is likely an EQ discrepancy. I also played against a custom party yesterday in MP. It was all elf wizards I think. That's another interesting excuse to spend money on the game. So far I still like the model and I'm happy I spent my $10.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

So I finished the beta campaign last week and started playing multiplayer.

I'm enjoying except I think Leadership is broken (and worse I don't any cards with leadership on them) and also the electronic dice in the game hate me. It seems my opponents always roll sixes and I always roll ones. It's to the point where I wonder if there are trainers that are being used to tell the dice what to roll.

Aside from that there are some quirks that surface in MP and piss me off, like when cards in you hand go away or you take between round damage from nothing. They're infrequent and it's a beta so it doesn't bother me.

Leadership bothers me. When I face two opponents with leadership in a row, I set the game down and walk away for a day or two.
Zarni

Post by Zarni »

I just signed up for beta. Looks like a fun game!
kganey

Post by kganey »

I received my beta invite on Friday. I'm not sure if I signed up last Fall when I first saw this thread, but I know I signed up (again?) last month when people started getting invites.

The game has dominated my weekend in a somewhat strange way. I keep thinking that the game is only so-so, but then I keep playing. The dialogue in single player is awful. And. it. keeps. going. But so do I. I bought both Scrolls and 7 Grand Steps last week and I think I've put more time into Card Hunter without paying a dime. There is a certain wonderful simplicity in whacking kobolds. I'm beginning to wish it wasn't in limited beta so I could convince my girlfriend to give it a try without giving up my account.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I know the feeling. I paid just so I could do treasure dungeons and I was happy to do so. It was sad finishing the last of the level 17 dungeons and I got my fill of Multiplayer a bit too quickly after the campaign but I'm sure when they release more campaign I'll be happy to drop more time.

The good news is that you can go back and redo the dungeons with greater challenges by gimping yourself when you finish the campaign but the fun isn't there this way. It's sort of a do it and be done with it kind of enjoyment.
kganey

Post by kganey »

LordMortis wrote:It's sort of a do it and be done with it kind of enjoyment.
You can always start a new party (and not twink it). This is what I did so my girlfriend could play. Rather than wait for another beta key, I started a new group for her. Her group is always lower level, so we don't compete for dungeons.

Now that my main party is around level 10, I'm running into some real challenges. In the final round of first arena challenge, the super powerful characters killed each other off leaving my priest against Gary's zombie. The first time, it went to 39 rounds before I won - then lost. The zombie released an acid spray when it died so it took my priest with it. Tie goes to the computer, apparently. The second time, I defeated the zombie in 48 rounds. Absurd. I've also had my share of wins with my last character having only 1 hit point left. Gets the blood moving a little.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

kganey wrote:
LordMortis wrote:It's sort of a do it and be done with it kind of enjoyment.
You can always start a new party (and not twink it). This is what I did so my girlfriend could play. Rather than wait for another beta key, I started a new group for her. Her group is always lower level, so we don't compete for dungeons.

Now that my main party is around level 10, I'm running into some real challenges. In the final round of first arena challenge, the super powerful characters killed each other off leaving my priest against Gary's zombie. The first time, it went to 39 rounds before I won - then lost. The zombie released an acid spray when it died so it took my priest with it. Tie goes to the computer, apparently. The second time, I defeated the zombie in 48 rounds. Absurd. I've also had my share of wins with my last character having only 1 hit point left. Gets the blood moving a little.
Totally been there and specifically with those damned zombies. I could have beaten them much easier if I just adapted my cleric to use items that remove enemy cards from any character but I'm too stubborn for that.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

I finally signed up for the beta queue. I want to try this and Scrolls, but I'll try this one first since it is free to check out.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Freezer-TPF- wrote:I finally signed up for the beta queue. I want to try this and Scrolls, but I'll try this one first since it is free to check out.
Scrolls could be out of beta before you get into this one. :D

I've applied too, but it's been awhile. No worries for me. Lots of other games to distract me in the meantime.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

If they're giving out beta invites chronologically, you should actually have one fairly soon. I signed up only a couple weeks ago (a month at the absolute max) and I just got my invite tonight.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zurai wrote:If they're giving out beta invites chronologically, you should actually have one fairly soon. I signed up only a couple weeks ago (a month at the absolute max) and I just got my invite tonight.
Hope you enjoy it as much I did. I keep checking back hoping they've expanded the content.
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

Zurai wrote:If they're giving out beta invites chronologically, you should actually have one fairly soon. I signed up only a couple weeks ago (a month at the absolute max) and I just got my invite tonight.
I signed up on May 17th and still don't have an invite.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Got my invite... very nice so far. I just keep playing one more battle.
Cixinsita

Post by Cixinsita »

spam
Last edited by LawBeefaroni on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

http://www.cardhunter.com/blog/" target="_blank
Woo! Double woo! We have exciting news – Card Hunter will be officially released on the 12th of September 2013! We used to call this “going gold” in the Jurassic era of video game development. How quaint! In this confusing age of never-ending betas, we thought we would strike a blow for clarity and just […]
Looking forward to seeing the finished product. I got my ten bucks worth of fun out of the middle of the beta.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Released. Will be closing the door and playing at lunch if at all possible. :D
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

LordMortis wrote:Released. Will be closing the door and playing at lunch if at all possible. :D
Ditto, except minus the door.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

LordMortis wrote:Released. Will be closing the door and playing at lunch if at all possible. :D

<please don't mean stall door, please don't mean stall door, pease don't.....>
He won. Period.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

What the?!? A 14 minute queue now?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

IceBear wrote:What the?!? A 14 minute queue now?
??? I think maybe he underestimated how many people would play again when it live.

15 minutes and 20 seconds.

I'd rather be queued by estimate than play with the lag I was playing with yesterday.

https://twitter.com/BlueManchuGames/sta ... 5500592128" target="_blank
Looks like we hit our server player limit... guess we underestimated how popular this game would be. We'll get to work to fix ASAP.
What a great use for Twitter, something I normally don't have a use for at all.
Last edited by LordMortis on Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I guess that's what happens when you don't get enough infrastructure together to accommodate the first day gold rush.

I agree though, the lag was pretty awful yesterday and today. I'm not entirely sure why they bother having the game communicate with the server for turns when you're in the middle of a battle in campaign mode. Seems like a waste of resources to me.

That being said, once you get past the queue, it's still a shitload of fun.
Black Lives Matter
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I played most of yesterday and this morning and never noticed any lag or queue. Guess I was lucky.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I enjoyed playing up through the Level six dungeons again last night. I think I chose my figures poorly though, so I think I might make several different groups and stagger their play throughs. I figure this will also allow me to play MP with more versatility.

I never realized in the beta that you could make multiple campaign characters and the play with them in the MP section. I thought you had to buy character packs with pizza. I'm kind stoked about collecting enough loot to try playing two elvish wizards and an elvish priest in MP, something that would be a horrible idea in the campaign world.

Anyone know how much more game there is now beyond the level 18 dragon?
Elbino

Post by Elbino »

This is a great game. I'm level 5 now and I've played it in fits and starts most of the day. Top notch stuff and the strategy of movement and timing is just starting to kick in.
OO, GWJ, QT3
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I get home to relax and the server is completely non responsive. :(
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

What all can you spend pizza slices on? I have 150 left after buying the treasure quests.

New figures, chests, a membership of course.... Am I missing anything?

I saw it stated if you spent money in the beta (I did), you got the 9 figures in the basic edition for free. I appear to have available to me one figure for each race/gender/class combination. The rest are 80 pizza each in the store. Seems like something is missing? What do you have for figures if you don't have the 9?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Debris

Post by Debris »

You can also buy chests with random loots for pizza slices.
Debris

Post by Debris »

You can also buy chests with random loots for pizza slices.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sudy Nym wrote:What all can you spend pizza slices on? I have 150 left after buying the treasure quests.

New figures, chests, a membership of course.... Am I missing anything?

I saw it stated if you spent money in the beta (I did), you got the 9 figures in the basic edition for free. I appear to have available to me one figure for each race/gender/class combination. The rest are 80 pizza each in the store. Seems like something is missing? What do you have for figures if you don't have the 9?
You can also buy chests for pizza and if you go to MP you can buy adventurer packs which I assume give you an assortment of items with the adventurers.

In short, nothing really. I bought pizza 1) to support the game. I've easily gotten my $10 out of the game and 2) to get the bonus dungeons. More content for my support was good enough for me.

I was under the impression you need to buy the adventurers packs to get variety in the MP duels but as it turns out, I don't think you need to use their adventurers. I think you can use your campaign characters.

So I'm just sitting on my pizza to see where the game goes. If they offer more content for pizza then I will have pizza waiting.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Okay, so this is pretty addicting.

One question, is there anyway to buy the little power bubbles that allow me to use better weapons or do I just need to level up more?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

As far as I know you only get them by leveling up
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Yep. More leveling.

The final game is way harder for me than the beta was. I am spending quite a bit of gold to replay failed dungeons. I'm currently at the level 13 dungeons and enjoying myself. I still haven't hit the orange skill dot level yet.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I'm actually having a much easier time leveling up. My party in the beta was the standard dwarf fighter/human cleric/elf mage, with the result that the dwarf could never get anywhere, while the elf would keep dying all the time. Now I have a racially pure party of all humans, and man these guys rock. First of all, "Run" as a default movement skill is awesome, because it allows you to overcome most of the slow-down effects at least partially. Second, the human skills almost always include things like "Team Shuffle", which improves my mobility even more. And really, mobility is key in this game. Better than any luck-based armor, if you can make your enemy discard a bunch of attacks because they couldn't reach you, that's solid gold.

Also, when fighting the AI, it's very important to exploit the fact that grouped creatures can only attack once per turn.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

NickAragua wrote:Also, when fighting the AI, it's very important to exploit the fact that grouped creatures can only attack once per turn.
Yeah. That wasn't in the beta.

I'm finding that the tweaked cards and tweaked AI is what it making things more difficult. It's also possible that I have chosen poorly and I'm also not getting the killer equipment like I did before. I also think some of my skills that I used before have been nerfed.