[Miniatures] Painting tips and progress reports (with pics!)

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

baelthazar

Re: [Miniatures] Painting tips and progress reports (with pics!)

Post by baelthazar »

These look amazing! I would love to know more about your technique for making that look like real stone!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Seriously, that's some great stuff. You need to set up a few shots and post them on the Pulp Alley Facebook page (if you haven't already.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

baelthazar wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:00 am These look amazing! I would love to know more about your technique for making that look like real stone!
It's actually pretty simple. I give them a spray in a reddish-brown tone to start. In my case I use Liquitex Raw Sienna spray or acrylic paint in a tube (I started off with the tube until I discovered they had a matching color in a rattle can. After the spray, an all-over wash in a dark brown, I used Vallejo Sepia game wash. After thoroughly dry, I then to a medium level dry brush in Liquitex Yellow Oxide, but any yellowish ochre color will work. Then finally a dry brush with Liquitex Titanium White, being sure to concentrate more on the upper surfaces and the edges.

I really would like to go back and re-do my Abu Simbel model, I was still trying to get my process down and didn't have enough of the yellow on it to really give it that look I was going for. But I'll back burner that until all of my buildings are done. Oh, and the pyramid. Oh, and the sphinx. Oh, and all of the marketplace stuff and the terrace pool set...
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hentzau wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:37 pm an all-over wash in a dark brown, I used Vallejo Sepia game wash.
Wow, you must go through a crap-ton of that!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote:
hentzau wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:37 pm an all-over wash in a dark brown, I used Vallejo Sepia game wash.
Wow, you must go through a crap-ton of that!
It comes in a pint container for dipping. I don’t dip, I brush. I’ve used about half of it so far.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ah, those I've seen, but that's less than half of a pint.

I have a one-ounce bottle of the stuff that's lasted me about seven years. That would be different if I actually had the space to store terrain (which would be a dream!) As it is, though, I just don't pain things big enough to justify that.

If I needed a bunch at this point for a specific project, I'd likely just make a batch, as I have all of the ingredients already. If I were actively producing terrain, though, I'd get that (or an alternative company's equivalent.)
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Not exactly painting, but: the miniature stone wall building contest. This kind of makes me want to build a miniature stone wall.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote:Ah, those I've seen, but that's less than half of a pint.

I have a one-ounce bottle of the stuff that's lasted me about seven years. That would be different if I actually had the space to store terrain (which would be a dream!) As it is, though, I just don't pain things big enough to justify that.

If I needed a bunch at this point for a specific project, I'd likely just make a batch, as I have all of the ingredients already. If I were actively producing terrain, though, I'd get that (or an alternative company's equivalent.)
I went out and bought the stuff to make my own washes but have never had nearly the success that I do with the commercial washes.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Minis from Descent: Legends of the Dark. These are fantastic fun minis.

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Looks great!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

These look awesome! Also, nice photography!

Here are some voidseeders in progress that I used reserve Zenithal shading (nadir?) and sprayed them with TurboDork turboshift paints. They turned out pretty well for the effect I wanted, after I used different colors of Army Painter shading on them and did a light dry brush.

One pic is with flash, the other without.

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Tonight’s work…

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Really happy with this one, especially since it was a 30 minute paint job.

I got about another 7 figures painted up but I’ll post pictures of them when I get back home from my folks.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Something to go with your figurines.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Army Painter finally releasing something to compete with the GW Contrast Paints. I really like Army Painter and had been using them pretty much exclusively. And while I like Contrast Paints, I do agree with his observation in this video that there are definitely inconsistencies in the paints - some work really great, others I've questioned the paint (did I mix it enough?) or the mini (is it primed correctly? Is it not textured enough?) enough to consider these:

While I doubt it's the "death of contrast paints", it would be nice to have more competition and choices.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I’ll definitely be ordering a set of them. And everything you said about Contrast paints I agree with yet they’re about all I use anymore.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I'm the same - I keep using them because on the whole they're better, but the inconsistency is driving me nuts. I have learned that even if the contrast paint job isn't what I was expecting, going back with some basic acrylics to do edge highlights or random detailing not only makes them look better but its also still much shorter overall in terms of time spent in comparison to not using the contrast paints.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

When I can get these results in 25 minutes with contrast, I’ll keep doing that all damn day long.

(Wish I had confidence to do the actual clapper, but I can’t freehand well enough.)
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:31 pm And while I like Contrast Paints, I do agree with his observation in this video that there are definitely inconsistencies in the paints - some work really great, others I've questioned the paint (did I mix it enough?) or the mini (is it primed correctly? Is it not textured enough?) enough to consider these:
I had a thing happen with my contrast paints on my Altar Quest minis. I primed them fully with the rattle can grey seer. Then, when I was painting the contrast paints on them, it beaded up and rolled off, almost like it was a waterproof "seal" on the mini. I had to basically flood the area to get it to stick, which basically make the contrast effect look terrible. I ended up stripping the entire thing (contrast and primer) to work on them again.

Since moving to regular primer through an airbrush, I haven't had that issue. But it was SUPER weird. The only things I could think of were either a bad rattle can (not enough "texture" in the primer) or a reaction with chemicals on the mini (which should have been washed first).
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I literally just had that happen with some nemesis minis I painted. I primed with with a rattle-can primer and the contrast paint was beading off the mini, like it was waxed. Was it the contrast paints? Was it the primer (never had a problem with it before)? It's just so random.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:19 pm I literally just had that happen with some nemesis minis I painted. I primed with with a rattle-can primer and the contrast paint was beading off the mini, like it was waxed. Was it the contrast paints? Was it the primer (never had a problem with it before)? It's just so random.
When it happened, I thought I was crazy. I tested the contrast paint on other minis and it seemed to work better on them (and it was multiple colors). I believe it was the rattlecan primer, perhaps reacting with traces of de-molding chemicals on the minis.

I will get some of these speed paints too. I just put the line of Army Painter airbrush paint on my Christmas wishlist, because they also look awesome.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think I might try a quick and light paint-on primer over the nemesis minis to see if that helps. I'd primed them all last month with the same rattle can so if I just screwed up my fall/winter project I'm going to be super irritated.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Even with priming I do a soak and wash on all figures from a manufacturer. The release agents are horrific at times. I’ve even seen primer just peel off of resin minis at times. First generation Fallout minis I’m looking at you.

Minis I print I don’t bother because I know they’re already cleaned and cured.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I've never had an issue with paint not sticking to a primed mini. I've absolutely had issues getting primers to stick, particularly with resins. But I can't think of a single time other than what I just saw where a primed rattle-can miniature was beading off - especially a rattle can primer that as designed to bond to plastic surfaces.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Could the paint itself be going bad/getting old?

And remember, I'm not a professional miniature painter. Hell, I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Covfefe!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:33 pm I think I might try a quick and light paint-on primer over the nemesis minis to see if that helps. I'd primed them all last month with the same rattle can so if I just screwed up my fall/winter project I'm going to be super irritated.
I had a little more luck after I did the paint on primer on top of the primer that was causing the beading. But, to be honest, I think I would use 90% Alcohol to strip the paint and re-primer with something else.

I don't think it was paint getting old, because I have used these colors since to paint on other primers and they worked fine.
Last edited by baelthazar on Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hentzau wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:42 pm Even with priming I do a soak and wash on all figures from a manufacturer. The release agents are horrific at times. I’ve even seen primer just peel off of resin minis at times. First generation Fallout minis I’m looking at you.
Absolutely. Soak and wash in hot soapy water with a soft toothbrush. Every time. Prime after that.

The other advice I'd give is to wash your hands before handling them until after you get the final varnish on. Rubbing your nose and then picking up the mini with your oily fingers can be enough to cause water-based paints to bead, even over priming.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

baelthazar wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:03 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:33 pm I think I might try a quick and light paint-on primer over the nemesis minis to see if that helps. I'd primed them all last month with the same rattle can so if I just screwed up my fall/winter project I'm going to be super irritated.
I had a little more luck after I did the paint on primer on top of the primer that was causing the beading. But, to be honest, I think I would use 90% Alcohol to strip the paint and re-primer with something else.

I don't think it was paint getting old, because I have used these colors since to paint on other primers and they worked fine.
I'd try a gentle wipe-down with alcohol first to see if it got oils on it.

For stripping, I use La's Totally Awesome (a cleaner available in dollar stores) and just soak them overnight, then gently brush the paint off with a toothbrush. Other people have had good results with Purple Power and/or Simple Green, but I've found La's works better than any of them.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

For my PA game I had to set up a carnival for the first chapter. I have game booths I made but no prizes. I printed off this small boy as a test. I think I’ll scale him up a bit

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Another positive review of the Army Painter Speed Paints

Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I'll post some pictured when I can, but I've been trying out contrast paints for my most recent project, Street Masters. I was able to get some of the Kickstarter exclusives off eBay for reasonable prices so I've more than doubled the content of the core set. That was a lot more stuff than I really wanted to paint, but I'd wanted to try out contrast so I figured this would be a good experiment.

Short version, it's certainly fast but I'm not a fan of how they look. I say this knowing I'm a clumsy amateur who simply prefers the way my painting style looks. It's just a basecoat, brown wash, maybe a little dry brushing but I like it, especially how the dark wash sort of outlines the colors and specific areas of the miniature. Having said all that, I didn't mind the brighter colors so much for Street Masters as I wanted the villain figures to be painted to go along with their matching colors. I thought about painting the figure bases red, green, blue, etc. but decided instead to give the figures red, green blue, etc. shirts or pants, depending on the sculpt and what I thought looked right. The colors really pop, there's certainly no mistaking who is the red guy with a gun vs. the blue guy with a gun, and it reminds me a lot of those arcade fighters where guys on the screen would all look alike but just have different colors.

I feel better knowing some of you have had the same issues I've had. I can't stand the "Shyish Purple" I used for the purple figures as it just didn't flow like any of the other paints and is much too dark. More specifically, I've had an issue where the figures I paint (and I really slather the paint on at times) will dry, but reveal a few almost microscopic white spots. Sometimes in the crevices, sometimes in the middle of flat open areas. I know this paint is supposed to move around but it's as though it's choosing to move out of these small spots. Fixing it can be a pain since if you use too much paint it darkens the surrounding area.

I'm using the spray Wraithbone, bottled Wraithbone for touchups. At first I thought maybe I'm not priming enough but that hasn't made a difference.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

The consistent thing about contrast paints is their inconsistency. Some paints are brilliant, and never seem to fail. Other ones…well, they suck (aethermatic blue and terradon turquoise, I’m looking at you. )

You really have to learn their foibles and quirks by repeated use, and yes, they do pull back from spots with no rhyme or reason. All said, still used on 95% of my minis.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hentzau wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:31 pm aethermatic blue
This is what I was painting my Nemesis minis with and I want to cry (beading off like they're waxed).

What I did (and I'm not sure if I'll ultimately settle on this) is one coat of the contrast, then a dry brush of gunmetal, then another coat of the contrast.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I am beginning to think a whole bunch of demo sets went out last week. Here's a direct comparison - he paints half a mini with one, then the other half with the other.

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I swear, Smoove, you are the death of my wallet… :doh:

:P
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I AM THE ENABLER!

(but seriously, I'm going to buy them all too, so it's all good)

I think it's interesting that they're not 100% replacements either. I think having options is always better and if this are able to fill gaps or reliably deliver better coverage in specific shades, even better.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

The weather has been nice up here in MA but there has been a bit of humidity. Next week though the weather is going to be cooler and drier so I’m going to go on a priming binge so I can have a bunch of minis to paint when outdoor priming season is over. Some Army Painter Speed Paints will sure come in handy! :D
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

$iljanus wrote:The weather has been nice up here in MA but there has been a bit of humidity. Next week though the weather is going to be cooler and drier so I’m going to go on a priming binge so I can have a bunch of minis to paint when outdoor priming season is over. Some Army Painter Speed Paints will sure come in handy! :D
I’ll prime in all kinds of weather, as long as the mini has been cleaned and I’m using a quality primer. I won’t clearcoat when it’s humid though. Not that I’ve used spray clear coat in a few years.