[Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Pyperkub

Re: [Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

Post by Pyperkub »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:45 pm
Pyperkub wrote:Has it worked for games?
Well, considering I only bought 3 Steam games during the holiday sale......kinda? :D
LOL! e-books are the same way for me - I think it's a digital media buying habit, which makes the old "but it's on sale" purchase decision even more pervasive than it was in retail stores. I'd *like* to play this game/read this book => I can buy it on sale and get the flash endorphins of having gotten a deal on something I want as well as the fantasy fulfillment that I will play this game/read this book now that I own it, without realizing the time commitment backlog filling up like a steam backlog. in retail, you'd only get it if you actually went in a store, now it's always a click away, 24/7. It's a tough habit to break, but I think I'm getting better - I only bought 2 games on sale this holiday - no man's sky and xbox one x enhanced la noire - I've already got 5 hours into no man's sky, but LA Noire was definitely a case of "it's on sale, and I *want* to play it, so I'll buy it, which breaks my rule of only buying games I'm ready to play immediately. I really hope I do play it - I actually already own it for the 360 and on PC, but wanted to play it in 4k from the couch... along with a bunch of other games...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:42 pm I finally had to break myself of the habit of buying something just because it was free or heavily discounted. Once I start a book I feel compelled to finish it, which is how I wasted hours on a WW2 romance novel I got suckered into from these First Reads. Never again.
But did those crazy kids find a way to make it work amidst the horror of war?
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Amazon has Blood, Sweat, and Pixels: The Triumphant, Turbulent Stories Behind How Video Games Are Made by Jason Schreier (Kindle eBook) for $2.99.

https://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/448525
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:27 am Amazon has Blood, Sweat, and Pixels: The Triumphant, Turbulent Stories Behind How Video Games Are Made by Jason Schreier (Kindle eBook) for $2.99.

https://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/448525
Cool, that totally looks like something I would read! Then I followed the links...

"You purchased this item on December 14, 2017. "

I swear, it happens more often than not. I read the shit out of some kindle books and I still have no idea how many are in my backlog.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Z-Corn wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:19 pm "You purchased this item on December 14, 2017. "
Ha!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Wednesday Kindle Deal.
Rendezvous with Rama $1.99.
Required reading since the sighting of interstellar object Oumuamua.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't remember seeing this when it was released last October, but apparently Neil Gaiman wrote a book about Douglas Adams and the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Today, it's a $1.99 deal for Kindle.
In Don’t Panic, Gaiman celebrates everything Hitchhiker: the original radio play, the books, comics, video and computer games, films, television series, record albums, stage musicals, one-man shows, the Great One himself, and towels. And as Douglas Adams himself attested: “It’s all absolutely devastatingly true—except the bits that are lies.”
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Had this on my wishlist for a few years now...can't remember why or how I added it. However, today I noticed that Cthulhu Armageddon is down to $0.99 - maybe it's a month long deal.
“Under an alien sky where gods of eldritch matter rule, the only truth is revenge.”

CTHULHU ARMAGEDDON is the story of a world 100 years past the rise of the Old Ones which has been reduced to a giant monster-filled desert and pockets of human survivors (along with Deep Ones, ghouls, and other “talking” monsters).

John Henry Booth is a ranger of one of the largest remaining city-states when he’s exiled for his group’s massacre and suspicion he’s “tainted.” Escaping with a doctor who killed her husband, John travels across the Earth’s blasted alien ruins to seek the life of the man who killed his friends.

It’s the one thing he has left.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ok, here's another good one - The Ghost Map for $1.99, probably another monthly deal. It's a book close to my own interests, but if you want to read about the father of epidemiology and arguably one of the most important stories that ultimately led to the creation of modern public health, this is a fantastic book on the story of Dr. John Snow:
On August 28, 1854, working-class Londoner Sarah Lewis tossed a bucket of soiled water into the cesspool of her squalid apartment building and triggered the deadliest outbreak of cholera in the city's history. In this tightly written page-turner, Johnson (Everything Bad Is Good for You) uses his considerable skill to craft a story of suffering, perseverance and redemption that echoes to the present day. Describing a city and culture experiencing explosive growth, with its attendant promise and difficulty, Johnson builds the story around physician John Snow. In the face of a horrifying epidemic, Snow (pioneering developer of surgical anesthesia) posited the then radical theory that cholera was spread through contaminated water rather than through miasma, or smells in the air. Against considerable resistance from the medical and bureaucratic establishment, Snow persisted and, with hard work and groundbreaking research, helped to bring about a fundamental change in our understanding of disease and its spread. Johnson weaves in overlapping ideas about the growth of civilization, the organization of cities, and evolution to thrilling effect. From Snow's discovery of patient zero to Johnson's compelling argument for and celebration of cities, this makes for an illuminating and satisfying read.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:25 pm Dr. John Snow
What does he know?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

For (I guess) today only(?) there is a sale on Kindle non-fiction science books. I saw the notification over on KinjaDeals, Scratch Your Science Itch With Amazon's One-Day Kindle Sale. Quite a few books there that look good. I can personally recommend Bringing Columbia Home: The Untold Story of a Lost Space Shuttle and Her Crew by my old Launch Director Mike Leinbach.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:10 pm I can personally recommend Bringing Columbia Home: The Untold Story of a Lost Space Shuttle and Her Crew by my old Launch Director Mike Leinbach.
I got this the last time you recommended it. I found it informative in the beginning talking about the history of the shuttle and NASA, but less interesting as the search continued. It was one chapter after another of this person finding this scrap of metal on this farmer's field.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Moliere wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:54 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:10 pm I can personally recommend Bringing Columbia Home: The Untold Story of a Lost Space Shuttle and Her Crew by my old Launch Director Mike Leinbach.
I got this the last time you recommended it. I found it informative in the beginning talking about the history of the shuttle and NASA, but less interesting as the search continued. It was one chapter after another of this person finding this scrap of metal on this farmer's field.
To each his own. Anyway, lots of other science books stuff there.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Enlarge Image

$2.99

[edit to fix the link so it goes to the site]
Last edited by Moliere on Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Thanks for that! I read the physical copy of the book like 15 years ago - it's a beast! It was quite enjoyable, but the electronic version is one I've been waiting to get and I missed this.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Huh. I would have bet money I shared that information here, but apparently I didn't. Getting old is tough nutz. :D
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i was adding free ebooks to my account when the sale suddenly ended - the very next book i selected was back to normal price. two of the ebooks got through at no charge, but three more were charged to my account, even though the ebook price still said $0.00 when i had 'one-click' purchased them.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Joe Hill's Strange Weather is a $2.99 deal for today. It's a series of four short novels. I've been hit or miss with his stuff, though more hits than misses. I'll probably give this one a go based on the solid reviews.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Thanks for the head's up. I like his stuff, so I grabbed it.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Thanks, had that one on the wish list.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Also Trevor Noah's "Born a Crime" is $2.99 today. I was a little tempted to pick it up, but that's in the "I'm interested but it would be so far down on the reading list that I'm realistically probably not going to get to it" category.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

My wife listened to the audio book version and she said it was really, really good.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:38 pm My wife listened to the audio book version and she said it was really, really good.
That's too bad. I was hoping to avoid this book because I don't like supporting joke thieves.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Moliere wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:54 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:38 pm My wife listened to the audio book version and she said it was really, really good.
That's too bad. I was hoping to avoid this book because I don't like supporting joke thieves.
So, no bios of Milton Berle?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Paddle Your Own Canoe by Nick Offerman is $1.99 today.
Growing a perfect moustache, grilling red meat, wooing a woman—who better to deliver this tutelage than the always charming, always manly Nick Offerman, best known as Parks and Recreation’s Ron Swanson? Combining his trademark comic voice and very real expertise in woodworking—he runs his own woodshop—Paddle Your Own Canoe features tales from Offerman’s childhood in small-town Minooka, Illinois—“I grew up literally in the middle of a cornfield”—to his theater days in Chicago, beginnings as a carpenter/actor and the hilarious and magnificent seduction of his now-wife Megan Mullally. It also offers hard-bitten battle strategies in the arenas of manliness, love, style, religion, woodworking, and outdoor recreation, among many other savory entrees.

A mix of amusing anecdotes, opinionated lessons and rants, sprinkled with offbeat gaiety, Paddle Your Own Canoe will not only tickle readers pink but may also rouse them to put down their smart phones, study a few sycamore leaves, and maybe even hand craft (and paddle) their own canoes.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Four book bundle by Jack Vance, a $2.99 deal for today:
Jack Vance is one of the most remarkable talents to ever grace the world of science fiction. His unique, stylish voice has been beloved by generations of readers. One of his enduring classics is his 1964 novel, The Dying Earth, and its sequels--a fascinating, baroque tale set on a far-future Earth, under a giant red sun that is soon to go out forever.

This omnibus volume comprised all four books in the series, The Dying Earth, The Eyes of the Overworld, Cugel's Saga and Rialto the Magnificent. It is a must-read for every Science Fiction fan.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Thanks for seeing that. I'd heard the book was excellent, so now I can find out. To the backlog you go!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Today for $1.99 you can get a copy of Pale Blue Dot by Carl Sagan.
In Cosmos, the late astronomer Carl Sagan cast his gaze over the magnificent mystery of the Universe and made it accessible to millions of people around the world. Now in this stunning sequel, Carl Sagan completes his revolutionary journey through space and time.

Future generations will look back on our epoch as the time when the human race finally broke into a radically new frontier—space. In Pale Blue Dot, Sagan traces the spellbinding history of our launch into the cosmos and assesses the future that looms before us as we move out into our own solar system and on to distant galaxies beyond. The exploration and eventual settlement of other worlds is neither a fantasy nor luxury, insists Sagan, but rather a necessary condition for the survival of the human race.
It was written in 1994, one of the last things he wrote (I think) before he died.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I know there's been some additional debate since the book was originally released, but I rather enjoyed Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond. It's a $2.99 sale for an undetermined amount of time. Could be today only; could be the entire month of April. I have no idea. I do know that reading this on a Kindle is way easier than carrying around my 500+ page paper copy.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe is $2.99 for an indeterminate amount of time.
It is intimidating to realize that we live in a world overflowing with misinformation, bias, myths, deception, and flawed knowledge. There really are no ultimate authority figures-no one has the secret, and there is no place to look up the definitive answers to our questions (not even Google).

Luckily, THE SKEPTICS' GUIDE TO THE UNIVERSE is your map through this maze of modern life. Here Dr. Steven Novella-along with Bob Novella, Cara Santa Maria, Jay Novella, and Evan Bernstein-will explain the tenets of skeptical thinking and debunk some of the biggest scientific myths, fallacies, and conspiracy theories-from anti-vaccines to homeopathy, UFO sightings to N- rays. You'll learn the difference between science and pseudoscience, essential critical thinking skills, ways to discuss conspiracy theories with that crazy co- worker of yours, and how to combat sloppy reasoning, bad arguments, and superstitious thinking.
4 Star rating from the Illuminati, so it has to be good.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I didn't remember seeing these were on Kindle, but you can get the first book of the Thomas Covenant series (Lord Foul's Bane) for $1.99 today.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:49 am I didn't remember seeing these were on Kindle, but you can get the first book of the Thomas Covenant series (Lord Foul's Bane) for $1.99 today.
Ugh. I have all of them (I think). I only ever managed to complete the first one. I hated them. Maybe they got better. I don't know. What I saw was terrible. On the bright side, if anyone wants physical copies.... :lol:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
stessier

Post by stessier »

TheMix wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:40 am Ugh. I have all of them (I think). I only ever managed to complete the first one. I hated them.
+1
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles