[Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Smoove_B

Re: [Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

Post by Smoove_B »

If you're looking to add an excellent Stephen King book to your collection, On Writing: A Memoir Of The Craft is a $2.99 deal for today:
“Long live the King” hailed Entertainment Weekly upon publication of Stephen King’s On Writing. Part memoir, part master class by one of the bestselling authors of all time, this superb volume is a revealing and practical view of the writer’s craft, comprising the basic tools of the trade every writer must have. King’s advice is grounded in his vivid memories from childhood through his emergence as a writer, from his struggling early career to his widely reported, near-fatal accident in 1999—and how the inextricable link between writing and living spurred his recovery. Brilliantly structured, friendly and inspiring, On Writing will empower and entertain everyone who reads it—fans, writers, and anyone who loves a great story well told.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I believe recommended by our very own hepcat, The Ballad of Black Tom is a $1.99 deal for today:
One of NPR's Best Books of 2016, winner of the Shirley Jackson Award, the British Fantasy Award, the This is Horror Award for Novella of the Year, and a finalist for the Hugo, Nebula, Locus, World Fantasy, and Bram Stoker Awards

People move to New York looking for magic and nothing will convince them it isn't there.

Charles Thomas Tester hustles to put food on the table, keep the roof over his father's head, from Harlem to Flushing Meadows to Red Hook. He knows what magic a suit can cast, the invisibility a guitar case can provide, and the curse written on his skin that attracts the eye of wealthy white folks and their cops. But when he delivers an occult tome to a reclusive sorceress in the heart of Queens, Tom opens a door to a deeper realm of magic, and earns the attention of things best left sleeping.

A storm that might swallow the world is building in Brooklyn. Will Black Tom live to see it break?
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Not sure if this promotion is for everyone, but check out the "Kindle Challenge" https://www.amazon.com/kindlechallenge

Earn four of the diamond shaped achievements to get $5 in ebook credit.

- read 7 days in January
- set a reading goal
- follow an author
- buy a book that costs at least 1 cent after promotions
- borrow a title from prime reading
- borrow a title from Kindle Unlimited
- start reading a series title

Takes 3 days for an achievement to show as completed.

Still can't figure out how to create a reading goal, though, despite the instructions given.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Defiant wrote:Not sure if this promotion is for everyone, but check out the "Kindle Challenge" https://www.amazon.com/kindlechallenge

Earn four of the diamond shaped achievements to get $5 in ebook credit.

- read 7 days in January
- set a reading goal
- follow an author
- buy a book that costs at least 1 cent after promotions
- borrow a title from prime reading
- borrow a title from Kindle Unlimited
- start reading a series title

Takes 3 days for an achievement to show as completed.

Still can't figure out how to create a reading goal, though, despite the instructions given.
So, you have to be paying for unlimited to do this?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I don't think so. You need Unlimited for one of the achievements and Prime for another one. I don't think you need either for the others (although some obviously require that you borrow or own a book).
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

The Best American Noir of the Century, edited by James Ellroy and Otto Penzler, is available for $2.99.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Haruki Murakami Killing Commendatore is also $2.99 right now - published in 2018, so this is a good deal
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:23 pm The Best American Noir of the Century, edited by James Ellroy and Otto Penzler, is available for $2.99.
Sold.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Did you watch the show on AMC? Read the book, The Terror as a $3.99 daily deal.
The men on board HMS Terror have every expectation of triumph. As part of the 1845 Franklin Expedition, the first steam-powered vessels ever to search for the legendary Northwest Passage, they are as scientifically supported an enterprise as has ever set forth. As they enter a second summer in the Arctic Circle without a thaw, though, they are stranded in a nightmarish landscape of encroaching ice and darkness. Endlessly cold, with diminishing rations, 126 men fight to survive with poisonous food, a dwindling supply of coal, and ships buckling in the grip of crushing ice. But their real enemy is far more terrifying. There is something out there in the frigid darkness: an unseen predator stalking their ship, a monstrous terror constantly clawing to get in.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Random book deal today on Ramp Hollow: The Ordeal of Appalachia for $2.99:
Appalachia—among the most storied and yet least understood regions in America—has long been associated with poverty and backwardness. But how did this image arise and what exactly does it mean? In Ramp Hollow, Steven Stoll launches an original investigation into the history of Appalachia and its place in U.S. history, with a special emphasis on how generations of its inhabitants lived, worked, survived, and depended on natural resources held in common.

Ramp Hollow traces the rise of the Appalachian homestead and how its self-sufficiency resisted dependence on money and the industrial society arising elsewhere in the United States—until, beginning in the nineteenth century, extractive industries kicked off a “scramble for Appalachia” that left struggling homesteaders dispossessed of their land. As the men disappeared into coal mines and timber camps, and their families moved into shantytowns or deeper into the mountains, the commons of Appalachia were, in effect, enclosed, and the fate of the region was sealed.

Ramp Hollow takes a provocative look at Appalachia, and the workings of dispossession around the world, by upending our notions about progress and development. Stoll ranges widely from literature to history to economics in order to expose a devastating process whose repercussions we still feel today.
Perhaps more relevant, On Immunity: An Inoculation for $1.99:
Why do we fear vaccines? A provocative examination by Eula Biss, the author of Notes from No Man's Land, winner of the National Book Critics Circle Award

Upon becoming a new mother, Eula Biss addresses a chronic condition of fear-fear of the government, the medical establishment, and what is in your child's air, food, mattress, medicine, and vaccines. She finds that you cannot immunize your child, or yourself, from the world.
In this bold, fascinating book, Biss investigates the metaphors and myths surrounding our conception of immunity and its implications for the individual and the social body. As she hears more and more fears about vaccines, Biss researches what they mean for her own child, her immediate community, America, and the world, both historically and in the present moment. She extends a conversation with other mothers to meditations on Voltaire's Candide, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Rachel Carson's Silent Spring, Susan Sontag's AIDS and Its Metaphors, and beyond. On Immunity is a moving account of how we are all interconnected-our bodies and our fates.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Don't know how long it will last, but you can get four Joe Hill novels for $3.99. It has Heart Shaped Box, 20th Century Ghosts, Horns, and NOS4A2. I've read three of them (the exception being 20th Century Ghosts) and enjoyed them all. If you're unaware, Joe Hill is the son of novelist Tabitha King and her husband Stephen King, who I think has also written some books.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:28 am Don't know how long it will last, but you can get four Joe Hill novels for $3.99. It has Heart Shaped Box, 20th Century Ghosts, Horns, and NOS4A2. I've read three of them (the exception being 20th Century Ghosts) and enjoyed them all. If you're unaware, Joe Hill is the son of novelist Tabitha King and her husband Stephen King, who I think has also written some books.
I've read the same 3 and can recommend this package as well if you like Stephen King. NOS4A2 has some fun play with King's Shining/Doctor Sleep books, as well as a couple of others in that realm. I *think* I have 20th Century Ghosts somewhere as well, but can't recall if I actually read it.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I'm tempted to pick it up for Ghosts since this package deal is cheaper than buying it stand-alone, but it also seems weird to re-purchase the other three books with it. If it were a hard copy set I'd buy it and stick the extras in a Little Free Library.
JCC

Post by JCC »

I didn't unconditionally love it, but I enjoyed the Locke and Key show enough to spend $1 each for four Joe Hill novels. Thanks for the heads up!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I had a $1 digital credit expiring so now I have 4 more books I will never get around to reading, thanks OO!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

For those interested, Into the Silence: The Great War, Mallory, and the Conquest of Everest is on sale. I read the hardcover years ago and was very impressed. You don't have to be interested in mountain climbing to enjoy it, a good part of the book sets the background of the post WW1 British adventurers and the exoticness of Tibet.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It took forever, but Dragons of Winter Night (book 2 of the original trilogy that was ultimately given a 4th book) *finally* made it to a $1.99 deal. Hopefully you grabbed the other two!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The Wrecking Crew: The Inside Story of Rock and Roll's Best-Kept Secret is on sale today. I read it years ago, it was very good.
"A fascinating look into the West Coast recording studio scene of the '60s and the inside story of the music you heard on the radio. If you always assumed the musicians you listened to were the same people you saw onstage, you are in for a big surprise!"-Dusty Street, host of Classic Vinyl on Sirius XM Satellite Radio

If you were a fan of popular music in the 1960s and early '70s, you were a fan of the Wrecking Crew-whether you knew it or not.

On hit record after hit record by everyone from the Byrds, the Beach Boys, and the Monkees to the Grass Roots, the 5th Dimension, Sonny & Cher, and Simon & Garfunkel, this collection of West Coast studio musicians from diverse backgrounds established themselves in Los Angeles, California as the driving sound of pop music-sometimes over the objection of actual band members forced to make way for Wrecking Crew members. Industry insider Kent Hartman tells the dramatic, definitive story of the musicians who forged a reputation throughout the business as the secret weapons behind the top recording stars.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
disarm

Post by disarm »

jztemple2 wrote:The Wrecking Crew: The Inside Story of Rock and Roll's Best-Kept Secret is on sale today. I read it years ago, it was very good.
"A fascinating look into the West Coast recording studio scene of the '60s and the inside story of the music you heard on the radio. If you always assumed the musicians you listened to were the same people you saw onstage, you are in for a big surprise!"-Dusty Street, host of Classic Vinyl on Sirius XM Satellite Radio

If you were a fan of popular music in the 1960s and early '70s, you were a fan of the Wrecking Crew-whether you knew it or not.

On hit record after hit record by everyone from the Byrds, the Beach Boys, and the Monkees to the Grass Roots, the 5th Dimension, Sonny & Cher, and Simon & Garfunkel, this collection of West Coast studio musicians from diverse backgrounds established themselves in Los Angeles, California as the driving sound of pop music-sometimes over the objection of actual band members forced to make way for Wrecking Crew members. Industry insider Kent Hartman tells the dramatic, definitive story of the musicians who forged a reputation throughout the business as the secret weapons behind the top recording stars.
In a similar vein, if you've never seen the documentary Hired Gun (available on Amazon Prime), you should definitely check it out. It deals more with the rock musician community of the last 20-30 years, but it's pretty fascinating and very we'll done.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

In case anyone wants to read about NJ's legendary Action Park, Action Park: Fast Times, Wild Rides, and the Untold Story of America's Most Dangerous Amusement Park is a $1.99 deal for some unknown amount of time.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:59 am In case anyone wants to read about NJ's legendary Action Park, Action Park: Fast Times, Wild Rides, and the Untold Story of America's Most Dangerous Amusement Park is a $1.99 deal for some unknown amount of time.
someone should send this to Bill Harris!

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

First time I think it's ever been this cheap - Stephen King's It is available for 2.99 as of this post. No idea if it's a secret daily deal or it will be this price for a few days or the whole month.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer is a $1.99 deal for today:
A bank of clouds was assembling on the not-so-distant horizon, but journalist-mountaineer Jon Krakauer, standing on the summit of Mt. Everest, saw nothing that "suggested that a murderous storm was bearing down." He was wrong. The storm, which claimed five lives and left countless more--including Krakauer's--in guilt-ridden disarray, would also provide the impetus for Into Thin Air, Krakauer's epic account of the May 1996 disaster.
I read this book when it was first published and remembered enjoying it. However, in reading some of the recent reviews, apparently his account of what happened is not universally accepted. I'm in no position to judge, but I was rather surprised at the comment vitriol.

The other book that's a $1.99 deal today is American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America by Colin Woodard. I've had it in my wishlist forever and I'm actually kind of curious to see how it meshes with what's been happening here in America since 2015, certainly during the pandemic. This book was originally written in 2011 so just before everything really went nutty.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Mindhunter - the book that inspired the excellent (cancelled) Netflix series is a $2.99 deal for some unknown period of time.
Discover the classic, behind-the-scenes chronicle of John E. Douglas’ twenty-five-year career in the FBI Investigative Support Unit, where he used psychological profiling to delve into the minds of the country’s most notorious serial killers and criminals.

In chilling detail, the legendary Mindhunter takes us behind the scenes of some of his most gruesome, fascinating, and challenging cases—and into the darkest recesses of our worst nightmares.

During his twenty-five year career with the Investigative Support Unit, Special Agent John Douglas became a legendary figure in law enforcement, pursuing some of the most notorious and sadistic serial killers of our time: the man who hunted prostitutes for sport in the woods of Alaska, the Atlanta child murderer, and Seattle's Green River killer, the case that nearly cost Douglas his life.

As the model for Jack Crawford in The Silence of the Lambs, Douglas has confronted, interviewed, and studied scores of serial killers and assassins, including Charles Manson, Ted Bundy, and Ed Gein, who dressed himself in his victims' peeled skin. Using his uncanny ability to become both predator and prey, Douglas examines each crime scene, reliving both the killer's and the victim's actions in his mind, creating their profiles, describing their habits, and predicting their next moves.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

A New Spring by Robert Jordan is a prequel to some story called "The Wheel of Time" is a $3.99 deal for today (60% off).

I've been told to advise that this book should not be read until the other 37 books in the series have been completed, for reasons.
samuels

Post by samuels »

Spam
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Greetings Mr. Spam!
samuels

Post by samuels »

Spam
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Zenn7 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:25 am Greetings Mr. Spam!
More effective than greeting the spambots is to report their posts, because then the staff gets a nice red notification on the top of our screens that there's been a reported post.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:03 am
Zenn7 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:25 am Greetings Mr. Spam!
More effective than greeting the spambots is to report their posts, because then the staff gets a nice red notification on the top of our screens that there's been a reported post.
Thanks, figured I there was something better I should have done. Will try to remember that int he future.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Audible's having a sale on Tolkien titles as well, for those interested in audiobooks.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Read the book that influenced the creation of the most excellent HBO series, Station Eleven as a $1.99 Kindle deal. Not sure how long this will last.
Kirsten Raymonde will never forget the night Arthur Leander, the famous Hollywood actor, had a heart attack on stage during a production of King Lear. That was the night when a devastating flu pandemic arrived in the city, and within weeks, civilization as we know it came to an end.

Twenty years later, Kirsten moves between the settlements of the altered world with a small troupe of actors and musicians. They call themselves The Traveling Symphony, and they have dedicated themselves to keeping the remnants of art and humanity alive. But when they arrive in St. Deborah by the Water, they encounter a violent prophet who will threaten the tiny band’s existence. And as the story takes off, moving back and forth in time, and vividly depicting life before and after the pandemic, the strange twist of fate that connects them all will be revealed.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Neuromancer $1.99
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

coopasonic wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:11 pm Just finished a 4 player game of Escape from Colditz. It was the first time I played with more than 2 and with anyone other than Isgrimnur. It took 4 hours (I was the only one that had played before, playing the security officers) but it was a pretty tense affair. The polish managed to get their second POW out through a tunnel and over a wall with support from the english and americans with 6 turns left.
Prisoners of the Castle: An Epic Story of Survival and Escape from Colditz, the Nazis' Fortress Prison $6.99
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Free until June 16 to promote its upcoming sequel:

The Way of Edan: Book One of The Edan Trilogy, by Philip Chase, a fantasy BookTuber I watch now and then. I haven't read the book yet but it's gotten good buzz, and if it's free it must be good.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

fyi, George Orwell's _1984_ is currently free on Kindle
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Free till tomorrow: The Keeper Origins: The Complete Trilogy by J.A. Andrews. I hear it's good.

gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Today is a Stuff Your Kindle day with a large number of free ebooks available in the Kindle store.
stessier

Post by stessier »

gilraen wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:38 pm Today is a Stuff Your Kindle day with a large number of free ebooks available in the Kindle store.
Thanks for the heads up!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles