Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Unagi

Re: Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

Post by Unagi »

Defiant wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:14 am
Octavious wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:58 am Why the heck do all these people toss into the primary when they have no shot? To make money? Christie is such a sack of shit. His own family probably wouldn't vote for him. :P

Some reasons:
1. People are deluded enough to think they have a chance.
2. Even unknowns can get 100,000+ votes, which I imagine feels pretty good to one's ego.
3. It gives them free press coverage and increases name recognition, which can translate to better prospects in the future (if they plan to run for something, or in terms of money, as in speaking engagements, books, etc)
4. A chance to get a job in the new administration
5. The opportunity of bringing up an issue in the primary that might otherwise be ignored, or potentially even getting the likely candidates to change their stances on an issue.
6. The opportunity to attack one of the other candidates you don't like and potentially drive support away from them (even if it doesn't get you support).
I think it's mostly #3 & a little #4 - where #2 is just an additional benefit.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Connor Roy, for a simple case study.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

A sign of how full of garbage the GOP is, and full of donors - yet another unqualified celebrity being talked into running (to be a tool of the donors, of course):
Former Los Angeles Dodgers MVP Steve Garvey is considering a bid for Sen. Dianne Feinstein’s (D-Calif.) Senate seat after she retires following the 2024 elections, The Los Angeles Times reported Thursday.

Several GOP state party insiders and operatives told the outlet that Garvey, who played first base for the Dodgers and San Diego Padres for nearly 20 years beginning in the late 1960s, would run as a Republican. They said he has been meeting with Republican donors and leaders throughout the state and will likely decide whether to run in about the next month.
And, as he was famous for having children with mistresses, he fits right in (the saying I remember is "Steve Garvey is not my Padre" ;)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Intersting news headlines the last couple days about the Republican debates that are planned for Aug - and I also read earlier that "Trump never agreed to any debates!" and it's now being said (obviously) that it's questionable if Trump would attend such debates.

It's remarkable (IMO) - mostly in that - the BY FAR leading candidate for a party is not interested in the debate format?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Before I'm educated, I will point out that someone this far ahead in the polls has no need or reason to expose themselves in a debate, but I don't think I've ever seen this manifest before.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Garvey has no chance. NO CHANCE.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Unagi wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:31 pm Before I'm educated, I will point out that someone this far ahead in the polls has no need or reason to expose themselves in a debate, but I don't think I've ever seen this manifest before.
If Trump continues his significant lead, joining the debates only serves to legitimize his rivals. If they decide to debate anyway, they immediately look like also-rans. A single Trump post about being "interested in the debate for Vice President" will cut everyone further down.

Of course DeSantis has no incentive to debate either, since every indication is that he would be prickly and weird and terrible in that format.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jaymann wrote:Garvey has no chance. NO CHANCE.
He'll get some of that sweet, sweet grift tho.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Holman wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:44 pm
Unagi wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:31 pm Before I'm educated, I will point out that someone this far ahead in the polls has no need or reason to expose themselves in a debate, but I don't think I've ever seen this manifest before.
If Trump continues his significant lead, joining the debates only serves to legitimize his rivals. If they decide to debate anyway, they immediately look like also-rans. A single Trump post about being "interested in the debate for Vice President" will cut everyone further down.

Of course DeSantis has no incentive to debate either, since every indication is that he would be prickly and weird and terrible in that format.
Maybe, but the Fox News viewership absolutely loved him roasting a heckler that called him a ‘fucking fascist’ while he was giving a speech here. Didn’t watch, but apparently it went viral in that sphere of the internet.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Since the debt ceiling became front and center it seems like there has been a large move to distance the GOP from the Freedom Caucasians and MAGAts a messaging on Republican "return to sanity" and while it feels nice, I can't help but think how many of these guys sat and cheered since the rise of Palin until 2022? Will the Supreme Court suddenly let go of the three Supreme Court justices sat during peak MAGA and the pre-sanity GOP legal structure they pushed right through? Where will be there spine be if GOP MAGAsm is achieved again?

I like to hear it but call me when the SC is fixed and not one day before.
malchior

Post by malchior »

This was stupid but also maybe just maybe Schiff's team will now stop sending me endless loops of fundraising texts about this event. :roll:

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

EDIT: Ugh, my bad
Last edited by Smoove_B on Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Clown Posse Brigade.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:02 pm Who are the 20 that voted "Yes" and the two that voted "present"? I hope they're pilloried for eternity. Absolute clowns. And the 5 Democrats that also voted "present"? WTF?
Other way around. The 20 were voting along with the Dems to kill it. 196 Republicans were voting to bring the motion to the floor for a vote. The resolution was to censure Schiff for investigating Trump and fining him $16M. And 196 were like, "I'd like to be able to cast a vote on that." Absolutely bonkers. Kind of puts the "moderate" Republicans idea into perspective. We can't even get into that because the only Republicans who are not pants on head crazy amounts to 20 of them.

Edit: The nutball Luna who introduced this nonsense has vowed to do this again next week. Guess we'll see if they can whittle the 20 down.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:22 am Since the debt ceiling became front and center it seems like there has been a large move to distance the GOP from the Freedom Caucasians and MAGAts a messaging on Republican "return to sanity" and while it feels nice, I can't help but think how many of these guys sat and cheered since the rise of Palin until 2022? Will the Supreme Court suddenly let go of the three Supreme Court justices sat during peak MAGA and the pre-sanity GOP legal structure they pushed right through? Where will be there spine be if GOP MAGAsm is achieved again?

By "Return to Sanity" you mean the hypocritical make the Ryan Tax Cuts permanent after the Debt Ceiling "we can't afford anything" hypocrisy, right?

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

malchior wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:10 pm Other way around. The 20 were voting along with the Dems to kill it. 196 Republicans were voting to bring the motion to the floor for a vote. The resolution was to censure Schiff for investigating Trump and fining him $16M. And 196 were like, "I'd like to be able to cast a vote on that." Absolutely bonkers. Kind of puts the "moderate" Republicans idea into perspective. We can't even get into that because the only Republicans who are not pants on head crazy amounts to 20 of them.
Good grief. Yeah, I misread that.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:42 pm
LordMortis wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:22 am Since the debt ceiling became front and center it seems like there has been a large move to distance the GOP from the Freedom Caucasians and MAGAts a messaging on Republican "return to sanity" and while it feels nice, I can't help but think how many of these guys sat and cheered since the rise of Palin until 2022? Will the Supreme Court suddenly let go of the three Supreme Court justices sat during peak MAGA and the pre-sanity GOP legal structure they pushed right through? Where will be there spine be if GOP MAGAsm is achieved again?

By "Return to Sanity" you mean the hypocritical make the Ryan Tax Cuts permanent after the Debt Ceiling "we can't afford anything" hypocrisy, right?
Yeah, I saw that this morning.
Zarathud

Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

Post by Zarathud »

The Republican Party is hopelessly compromised. The insanity and lack of principles has been apparent for decades.

At this point, they aren’t even trying to rule rationally. Only advance the narrow interests of the radical primary voters as framed by their propaganda of fear and outsiders.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

How very on brand.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So if convicted, Florida Man cannot vote, but can be elected President. :doh:
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh look, it's spreading - like cancer:
All state-funded colleges and universities in Texas will have to close their diversity, equity and inclusion offices under a measure signed into law by Texas Governor Greg Abbott.

The law, which one of its sponsors in the Texas state Senate called the most significant ban on diversity offices in higher education in the country, comes as the U.S. Supreme Court later this month is widely expected to ban colleges and universities from considering race as a factor in their admissions decisions.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I guess this goes here? A story about how a North Carolina politician was trading group sex for political favors?
A detailed lawsuit filed by a former Apex City Councilman claims that North Carolina House Speaker Tim Moore (R-Cleveland County) started an affair with his wife and engaged in group sex with other people seeking political favor.

Scott Riley Lassiter is suing Moore and an unnamed John Doe defendant for several claims, including alienation of affections and civil conspiracy.

Channel 9 obtained the court documents, which allege that Moore “used his position as Speaker of the North Carolina House of Representatives to initiate contact and develop a personal relationship with Mrs. Lassiter, despite knowing that she was married to Plaintiff.”

The lawsuit says Lassiter’s wife confessed she had been having an affair for three years, and that “she had engaged in sexual activity with Defendant Tim Moore (including group sex with other individuals seeking Tim Moore’s political favor), and that she feared ending the relationship with [Moore] would result in losing her job.”
Maybe Madison Cawthorn was telling the truth?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Maybe this helps explain all "the sexual deviancy" attack dogs in the GOP. I mean, they see sexual deviancy everywhere when they look in their own home.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Like I've said before, and I'll say again, NC GOP is one of the most corrupt group of Republicans in the entire country. They prove it constantly and I've seen nothing to convince me otherwise.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:14 pm Like I've said before, and I'll say again, NC GOP is one of the most corrupt group of Republicans in the entire country. They prove it constantly and I've seen nothing to convince me otherwise.
Ohio could give NC a run for their money. Plus Ohio has a super majority, with a Gop Gov and a Gop Supreme Court. They can do whatever they want as long as the feds don't get involved.
FTE
Holman

Post by Holman »

Scraper wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:40 am
YellowKing wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:14 pm Like I've said before, and I'll say again, NC GOP is one of the most corrupt group of Republicans in the entire country. They prove it constantly and I've seen nothing to convince me otherwise.
Ohio could give NC a run for their money. Plus Ohio has a super majority, with a Gop Gov and a Gop Supreme Court. They can do whatever they want as long as the feds don't get involved.
One of my good friends works as an organizer for the Ohio Democratic Party.

Every six months she calls me, pulling her hair out.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Ohio is not only Republican Red, it is Ohio State Red. Both religions demand sacrifices from their followers.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Zarathud wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:16 pm Ohio is not only Republican Red, it is Ohio State Red. Both religions demand sacrifices from their followers.
This is the way
FTE
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zarathud wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:16 pm Ohio is not only Republican Red, it is The Ohio State Red.
Also, everyone from Michigan knows Ohio is beneath us.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:29 am
Zarathud wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:16 pm Ohio is not only Republican Red, it is The Ohio State Red.
curiously enough, biden won Columbus ;)

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:49 am
So did the Wolverines.😜😊😃
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not really sure if this deserves its own thread (yet) but it's absolutely a result of the 21st Century GOP and what's happening on a local level in Indiana:
Wednesday’s St. Joseph County Board of Health meeting agenda lists some ordinary business matters, but it also contains a situation that might be unprecedented.

The health department is notifying the board that seven staff members are resigning.

Several of the individuals tell WVPE that they’re leaving because of harassment and a toxic work environment they say has been created by Republican county council members Amy Drake and Dan Schaetzle, who took office in January.

Especially troubling and bizarre has been Drake’s opposition to any grant opportunity or programming plans that include the word “equity,” says Cassy White, the director of health equity, epidemiology and data. She joined the health department in 2018.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Every time I start fuming about the backwards quagmire that is southern Indiana, northern Indiana comes along and makes me feel better.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Remus West wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:39 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:49 am
So did the Wolverines.😜😊😃
:obscene-drinkingcheers:
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:27 pm
I haven't seen much of Succession, but it took me this long to realize who's playing Connor Roy.
Spoiler:
Cameron from Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

:shock:
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Oh yeah. He was also great on Spin City as well, if you ever watched that.
Black Lives Matter.