Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Alefroth

Re: Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

Post by Alefroth »

The replacement for my state senator who died of Covid last month has been announced.

A 22 year old graduate of Patrick Henry university with an NRA scholarship who was an intern on the Trump transition team. My god, can it get any more tropey? I wonder if he has been to Russia.
Last edited by Alefroth on Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:36 pm The replacement for my state senator who died of Covid last year has been announced.

A 22 year old graduate of Patrick Henry university with an NRA scholarship who was an intern on the Trump transition team. My god, can it get any more tropey? I wonder if he has been to Russia.
Who cares. But does he have a domestic tourist attack visa?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Here's an idea -- if the red states won't attempt seceding again on their own accord, can they simply be expelled? I do expect they would be the ones to start a war then after they realize they are broke as hell without the blue state income. Let them realize the true suffering of their actions, and welcome back any whose voter base manages to rise above their suppression.
Black Lives Matter
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:33 pm Here's an idea -- if the red states won't attempt seceding again on their own accord, can they simply be expelled? I do expect they would be the ones to start a war then after they realize they are broke as hell without the blue state income. Let them realize the true suffering of their actions, and welcome back any whose voter base manages to rise above their suppression.
I had a thought about that this morning. If it does end in conflict we are in similar situation as the Civil War where the South did not have the economy or manufacturing to match the North. Except now there is manufacturing in the Red States. Also, the military is so much more powerful now than it was then any war would be quickly over based off which side the military swung towards. Their resources and weaponry would make a mockery of any real civilian rebellion.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:40 pm This hasn’t actually been about education for a looong time.
geezer

Post by geezer »

malchior wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:07 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:40 pm This hasn’t actually been about education for a looong time.
To be fair, Frederick Douglass is, “…an example of somebody who's done an amazing job and is being recognized more and more."

🤣
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Arguably the bill is proving the importance of teaching history in this area.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

A rider to the bill includes teaching about the famous match between Billie Jean King and her father, Martin Luther King.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:44 pm A rider to the bill includes teaching about the famous match between Billie Jean King and her father, Martin Luther King.
:lol:
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:44 pm A rider to the bill includes teaching about the famous match between Billie Jean King and her father, Martin Luther King.
I thought it was going to be a paternity law suit between her and Michael Jackson
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:52 pm
I thought it was going to be a paternity law suit between her and Michael Jackson
He's currently on the run in Canada to keep his kid from the Covid vaccine.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Now I'm really confused. I swear to pancake I just read in one of these threads he was going to performing at Trump rally in the next few days.

Edit here we go

Some of Protzman’s supporters have also spotted that Trump’s official announcement mentions “live entertainment” as part of the rally, and suggested that this will involve a band made up entirely of dead musicians and singers, including Michael Jackson, Prince, Whitney Houston, Janis Joplin, Tupac, and John Lennon.

This prediction follows Protzman’s own claim in November that at a Rolling Stones concert in Dallas that he forced his group to attend, the band members were replaced by Jackson, Prince, and JFK Jr., with Aaliyah providing backup vocals.
Also, I hear King day is really a pagan holiday and not based on any real date, so they are going to change it to coincide with Superbowl Sunday to appease the unwashed masses and reduce the cases of brown bag flu, for which it is known that vaccinations don't work but rather you should eat paste but not as a prophylactic because the use of prophylactics is an infringement on religious freedom.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This could go in so many different threads, but I guess I'll put it here:

Michigan state senate candidate Mike Detmer (@DetmerMike) tells a crowd that he wants citizens to bring guns to polling places: “…if we can’t change the tide, we need to be prepared to lock and load. So you ask, ‘What can we do?’ Show up armed.”
It's going to be a long, slow march to November and then for 2024, isn't' it?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

The other guy (whoever it is) also encouraged people to interfere with the voting process towards the beginning of the clip. I'm not surprised. We are seeing the usual progression when a political party has radicalized. This is the activist side recruiting for aggressive radical action while the more mainstream folks work to set conditions that make the radical action palatable.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya I'm seriously thinking that January 6th is going to look like a picnic. You have a huge bunch of well armed people that have totally bought into a false narrative. All because one dude was butthurt.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN (2020)
A Michigan Court of Claims judge on Tuesday struck down Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson's directive that sought to ban the open carry of firearms at polling places on Election Day.

Judge Christopher Murray granted the pro-gun-rights groups who filed the lawsuit a preliminary injunction, effectively reversing Benson's October 16 order and eliminating a universal ban on the open carry of firearms at or within 100 feet of polling locations or absentee counting boards on Election Day.
Murray wrote that he ruled against the directive because it was not issued in accordance with the Administrative Procedures Act, which governs how new rules are made.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Ok, I'm going to go out on a limb here with this shocking prediction: People are going to get shot at polling places in 2024.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kurth wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:18 pm Ok, I'm going to go out on a limb here with this shocking prediction: People are going to get shot at polling places in 2024.
It isn't like the rhetoric is cooling down. We saw threats and acts of violence all across the land in 2020. It also looks like Trump is going to run on a 'Save America' platform. We're in big fucking trouble.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Octavious wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:39 am Ya I'm seriously thinking that January 6th is going to look like a picnic. You have a huge bunch of well armed people that have totally bought into a false narrative. All because one dude was butthurt.
Not just one dude. That one dude’s cult followers were also butthurt as a result. And these are people who are used to getting what they want, and expect/demand the same.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Im particularly enjoying their “Quoting our words verbatim is baseless political propaganda…how DARE you!” defense.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:59 pm
Octavious wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:39 am Ya I'm seriously thinking that January 6th is going to look like a picnic. You have a huge bunch of well armed people that have totally bought into a false narrative. All because one dude was butthurt.
Not just one dude. That one dude’s cult followers were also butthurt as a result. And these are people who are used to getting what they want, and expect/demand the same.
Yeah, but here’s the thing: I think we should be careful about describing all of the MAGA crowd as people who are used to getting what they want. I feel like there’s a good portion of the MAGA crowd who are what they are today because they’re pretty much defined by not getting what they want for a significant number of years.

I don’t want to quibble here, but you’re making it sound like they’re all relatively well-off and entitled. I think that misses the mark. I don’t think the bulk of the people Joe Mancin bows down to necessarily fit that description.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Holman

Post by Holman »

Kurth wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:37 pm
Yeah, but here’s the thing: I think we should be careful about describing all of the MAGA crowd as people who are used to getting what they want. I feel like there’s a good portion of the MAGA crowd who are what they are today because they’re pretty much defined by not getting what they want for a significant number of years.

I don’t want to quibble here, but you’re making it sound like they’re all relatively well-off and entitled. I think that misses the mark. I don’t think the bulk of the people Joe Mancin bows down to necessarily fit that description.
Rich or poor, for most of them "what they want" is the white supremacist entitlement they feel was taken away from them a generation or two ago.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Yep, certainly some of it is material entitlement, but I think the real drive and power behind the movement is cultural/social entitlement.

In fact, that’s probably why it’s surprisingly successful - because MAGA appeals to both the 5%’ers who have always “won”, and want to make sure things stay that way, AND the other extreme of the socio-economic/education spectrum who are tired of ‘losing’.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Let's not forget that these people have been lied to for decades, being told that the reason they're poor and not getting what they want is that minorities, immigrants, and liberals have been taking it from them. Instead of the truth, which is they're being held down by the same rich white guys they vote for over and over.
Zarathud

Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

Post by Zarathud »

The Republican leadership painted liberals and Democrats as immoral and anti-social. Building on hate allowed the opportunity to fall under the sway of the known philanderer Trump.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Zarathud wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:57 am The Republican leadership painted liberals and Democrats as immoral and anti-social. Building on hate allowed the opportunity to fall under the sway of the known philanderer Trump.
Anti-social?
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I’m just gonna drop a link here to this morning’s piece in the NYT from Ross Douthat: I’ll Bet on Susan Collins Over the Resistance. Please don’t let your head explode if you read it!

I get his critiques of CNN and Zucker and “The Resistance,” but I find his faith in Susan Collins . . . disturbing.

Sure, I’m down with the notion that reforming the Electoral Count Act is of paramount importance, but I don’t know where he gets the notion that “that effort is being steered, with some success so far, by Collins.” :think:
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

IMHO, reforming the electoral count act is nice, but mostly worthless. It won't do much to stop the next attempt, just force them to find some other loophole or method. See seizing the voting machines, etc

It's like making sure you have a fire extinguisher in the house. Very important, but useless when people are chucking molotov cocktails at your house.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kurth wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:11 pm I’m just gonna drop a link here to this morning’s piece in the NYT from Ross Douthat: I’ll Bet on Susan Collins Over the Resistance. Please don’t let your head explode if you read it!
It's Ross Douhat so I went in expecting bad analysis. I got it in spades. The guy is smart, sometimes makes good points, but I find that his analyses are consistently bad in the balance.
I get his critiques of CNN and Zucker and “The Resistance,” but I find his faith in Susan Collins . . . disturbing.
Really? The Zucker stuff came off to me as half-unhinged. There is plenty of room to criticize Zucker but paragraphs like this?
Here are two anecdotes from the still-unspooling saga of Jeff Zucker, no longer the head of CNN. First, from the aftermath: According to The Los Angeles Times, in a meeting between some of the network’s staffers and its corporate leadership, the CNN correspondent Jamie Gangel shared that four members of the congressional committee investigating Jan. 6 had called to say that Zucker’s exit left them “devastated for our democracy.”

Second, from the background to Zucker’s departure: We already knew that he blessed the wild prime-time lovefest between the brothers Cuomo, the CNN anchor and the New York governor. But now it’s being reported by The New York Post that Zucker helped arrange the absurd interviews, sometimes through the influence of his paramour, a former Andrew Cuomo communications director, and even allegedly gave the New York governor advice on how to swat at Donald Trump during his famous Covid-19 briefings.

You can put these anecdotes together and get a decent understanding of what went wrong in important parts of American media during the Trump presidency. The powerful belief that only CNN — indeed, only Jeff Zucker — stood between democracy and authoritarianism encouraged the abandonment of normal journalistic standards, the sacrifice of sobriety and neutrality to what Armin Rosen, writing for UnHerd, dubs the “centrist-branded panic industry.”
That's a leap and then some. This is really, really shaky stuff IMO and he supports it with those anecdotes referring to "important parts"? It was CNN. Zucker ran CNN. Not the NY Times. Not WaPo. Not the LA Times. Not Fox. Just CNN. Exceptionally weak stuff here.
Sure, I’m down with the notion that reforming the Electoral Count Act is of paramount importance, but I don’t know where he gets the notion that “that effort is being steered, with some success so far, by Collins.” :think:
It is because he is the classic very serious person. He so badly looks for "moderate" thought that he collects anything that looks and sounds like it without measuring its value. No matter that Collins is to callback to earlier ... just exceptionally shitty. In any case, this piece is absurdly weak. He took the media story of the week (CNN) and unconvincingly and incoherently wove it into this Electoral Count thing. The guy even took time to navel gaze and pretty much showed us that he sort of has an inkling that he has lost the plot. And he hardly had any plot to begin with.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

So, what's with Mitch McConnell denouncing the RNC censure of Cheney and Kinzinger and calling the RNC on the carpet for their characterization of the Jan. 6 riot as “legitimate political discourse”?
Senator Mitch McConnell, the minority leader, pushed back hard on Tuesday against the Republican Party’s censure of Representatives Liz Cheney and Adam Kinzinger and its characterization of the Jan. 6 riot as “legitimate political discourse,” saying the riot was a “violent insurrection.”

The remarks from Mr. McConnell, the normally taciturn Kentucky Republican, added to a small but forceful chorus of G.O.P. lawmakers who have decried the action that the Republican National Committee took on Friday, when it officially rebuked Ms. Cheney and Mr. Kinzinger for participating in the House investigation of the Jan. 6 attack, accusing them of “persecution of ordinary citizens engaged in legitimate political discourse.”

Mr. McConnell repudiated that description, saying of the events of Jan. 6, 2021: “We saw it happen. It was a violent insurrection for the purpose of trying to prevent the peaceful transfer of power after a legitimately certified election, from one administration to the next. That’s what it was.”
I hate McConnell and am hard pressed to acknowledge that he ever does right - because it so rarely happens. But this seems like he's actually taking a stand against Trumpism, even if it is the bare minimum of stands. Is it possible that McConnell actually has a line he won't stoop beneath? Or is there a political calculation here that pays dividends for him? If there is, I don't really see it.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Probably Moscow Mitch is calculating Florida Man will die before he does. I would shed no tears if he gets primaried.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

McConnel is not a cartoon villain. He a ruthless power broker, but he has never been a Trumper. I suspect he views Trump as the biggest threat to the Republican Party Mitch wants at the moment, and he is absolutely correct to do so.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Kurth wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:12 pm I hate McConnell and am hard pressed to acknowledge that he ever does right - because it so rarely happens. But this seems like he's actually taking a stand against Trumpism, even if it is the bare minimum of stands. Is it possible that McConnell actually has a line he won't stoop beneath? Or is there a political calculation here that pays dividends for him? If there is, I don't really see it.
I have a hard time believing this is anything more than what he did in the immediate aftermath of 1/6/21: make a speech to sound like a very serious person (natch), then go with the GOP flow for the next year. Is there reason to believe otherwise?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:32 pm Is there reason to believe otherwise?
My only thought is that there was no need for him to say anything. He wouldn't make the statement for funsies. No idea why, but Mitch is not in the position he is in because he makes frivolous choices.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

FWIW I think McConnell is principled. He believes in little "r" republican constitutional government. He'll twist the levers of power availed by this system to "win". And this is a statement of those principles. Unfortunately, he lacks the vision to connect how his activities in GOP power building were in fact assembling the Frankenstein's monster he is commenting on. I think it's a blind spot in his political calculus. It just hasn't hurt him. In any case, maybe he didn't flip the lever and wake the monster but he definitely participated in gathering the body parts. Worse when the monster was out in the countryside drowning little girls in lakes, he decided he needed to double down and make sure the next version of the monster was even stronger and more powerful.

Edit: Changed all references to Frankenstein to the monster! :)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Also McConnell wants to rig the system to preserve GOP minority rule as much as possible, but his job gets harder if Trumpists push everyone out of the party who is not a Trumpist. That is, it's easier to rig a system where the GOP has power with 45% of the vote than it is to rig a system where the GOP has 40%, 35%, 30%, etc. So he does have an interest in not narrowing the GOP coalition too much unnecessarily.

Plus if right wing political violence gets out of hand, it's not crazy to worry about whether some lunatic will come for him.
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:55 pm Also McConnell wants to rig the system to preserve GOP minority rule as much as possible, but his job gets harder if Trumpists push everyone out of the party who is not a Trumpist. That is, it's easier to rig a system where the GOP has power with 45% of the vote than it is to rig a system where the GOP has 40%, 35%, 30%, etc. So he does have an interest in not narrowing the GOP coalition too much unnecessarily.
I vote for this theory.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It'll make things more interesting if the mangerine does get back into office.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)