Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

disarm

Re: Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

Post by disarm »

Unagi wrote:
disarm wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:46 am Toast, fries, bread, onion soup...the list goes on (or not)...
And of course, we can also consider Boeuf Bourguignon, Coq Au Vin, Confit de Canard, Filet Mignon, untold numbers of cheeses and wines, hell their entire culinary contribution - oh - and the Statue of Liberty, and also help with that whole freedom from Britain thing...

Also, I would be inclined in that list to give Japan a huge shout-out for Sushi.
Or maybe I was just naming things that actually have the word "French" in the name Image
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

disarm wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:40 pm
Unagi wrote:
disarm wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:46 am Toast, fries, bread, onion soup...the list goes on (or not)...
And of course, we can also consider Boeuf Bourguignon, Coq Au Vin, Confit de Canard, Filet Mignon, untold numbers of cheeses and wines, hell their entire culinary contribution - oh - and the Statue of Liberty, and also help with that whole freedom from Britain thing...

Also, I would be inclined in that list to give Japan a huge shout-out for Sushi.
Or maybe I was just naming things that actually have the word "French" in the name Image
Then you forgot French Dip!!

:D
Yeah, I totally got that- I wasn't really replying to you but to Jaymann.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

disarm wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:40 pm
Unagi wrote:

You must be Lane Meyers' Mom!

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

The French kiss must be called out here.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kurth wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:59 am Uh . . . wine? Hello???
I'm pretty sure wine was a thing well before France was a thing. Back when it was Gaul, say, or perhaps even before.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:07 pm The French kiss must be called out here.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He won. Period.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

At least the French surrendered at gunpoint to Nazi tanks overrunning their country.

Republicans surrendered America to COVID. And Russia. Trump. The NRA. And the list goes on….to include Nazis in America who stormed the capital on 1/6 after being invited in by Trump. Without firing a shot.

MAGA Republican have out-surrendered their phantom French scapegoats.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The French also built a border wall that didn't work so well, but at least their heart was in the right place.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:50 pm The French also built a border wall that didn't work so well, but at least their heart was in the right place.
The Maginot Line was designed to make the Germans go through the Low Countries. And it would have gone to the Channel if the Belgians hadn't complained.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And then there was Rommel and his ghost border caravan.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:18 pm
I'm pretty sure wine was a thing well before France was a thing. Back when it was Gaul, say, or perhaps even before.
Sure, but there's a thing being a thing and then there's a thing being a THING.

France sure isn't the only game in town when it comes to wine, but I'm gonna stack that one up there pretty high on the list of their world cultural contributions.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Zarathud wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:21 pm At least the French surrendered at gunpoint to Nazi tanks overrunning their country.

Republicans surrendered America to COVID. And Russia. Trump. The NRA. And the list goes on….to include Nazis in America who stormed the capital on 1/6 after being invited in by Trump. Without firing a shot.

MAGA Republican have out-surrendered their phantom French scapegoats.
Umm, that's also a bit of a miss. The GOP is one party. The MAGAts are a subset of that one party. They don't represent America or Americans as a whole.

If we want to get down to brass tacks, there were some pretty tenacious (downright vicious by many accounts) French partisans who also did not surrender to the Nazis back in the day.

I know you're just poking fun, but it kind of highlights how silly these broad brush attacks on any country are.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Unfortunately whether or not MAGA is a subset gets a bit irrelevant when they're driving policy, candidates, etc. Republicans poll 70% that the election was stolen. That's not a subset, that's an overwhelming majority.

If your non-MAGA friend votes for MAGA candidates because they can't bear to pull the level for a Democrat, then it doesn't really matter what label they apply to themselves. The end result is the same.

It's time to come to grips with the fact that the classic conservative Republican is dead. The party IS the fringe.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:07 am It's time to come to grips with the fact that the classic conservative Republican is dead. The party IS the fringe.
I agree with the conclusion but I don't agree with the premise. I think "classic conservative Republican" is willing to look the other way and still listen to the party that IS the fringe which empowers the party in all its insanity. Sadly, I've since given up on trying to communicate with those looking the other way and absorbing the message of the fringe. I've long since lost my ability to talk to even my father. Politics have been removed from the table and he was the last one I made it a point to talk to. He's not MAGA but he listens to them and absorbs what he hears and will vote that way. So pragmatically, he is MAGA even if philosophically he is not. I have old co workers who get along voting to destroy their own votes because they see democratic party as economically the problem with the nation. They don't buy in to the other dogma at all, but no matter, if they vote for MAGA candidates, pragmatically, they are MAGA. How wide spread the enablers, are? I don't know. But they are widespread enough to grant power.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Those conservatives who get along with MAGA for personal gain aren’t courageous French partisans fighting Nazis. They’re soldiers fighting for the regime.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kurth wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:53 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:18 pm
Sure, but there's a thing being a thing and then there's a thing being a THING.

France sure isn't the only game in town when it comes to wine, but I'm gonna stack that one up there pretty high on the list of their world cultural contributions.
Wine was pretty much universal, as soon as people figured out that eating old fruit made you feel pretty darned good.

Champagne, then?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:22 am They don't buy in to the other dogma at all, but no matter, if they vote for MAGA candidates, pragmatically, they are MAGA.
That's the way I look at it. If you are presented the choices between Arson, Murder, Other, or None, and you choose to vote for Arson you're still supporting arson, and when arson wins, you're partly responsible. And yeah, your view is that not voting for Arson means that Murder wins, I get it. But if Arson really is a fringe option, then Other could win, too.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

SEE ALSO the Cinemax theory of racism via Scalzi (2016).
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

There is no MAGA In Name Only (MAGAINO). The GOP let the extremists drive out the moderates, and negotiated with terrorists.
Holman

Post by Holman »

The 21st Century Republican Party has one goal: to make sure Republicans win Congress and state-level control in 2022 so that there is no risk that the party will ever lose an election again.

Insofar as there still exist "moderate" Republicans, they are the ones who want to put this off until 2024.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Kudlow and McCarthy love the Trussterfuck!

Larry Kudlow on Fox Business 9/23/22: "The new British prime minister, Liz Truss, has laid out a terrific supply-side economic growth plan which looks a lot like the basic thrust of Kevin McCarthy's Commitment to America plan.”
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

*Chef kiss*. He isn't just a shitty economist. He is a Trumpist propagandist and a liar.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

How does anyone listen to that asshat? His WIKI page is a hilarious collection of how he was wrong about every single thing. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
malchior

Post by malchior »

He is the epitome of failing upward. He has done it his whole entire career.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:45 pm He is the epitome of failing upward. He has done it his whole entire career.
It makes sense once you factor in that Trumpworld doesn't want a good economist. What they want is someone who can convincingly pretend to be an economist while spouting the party line.
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:14 pm
malchior wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:45 pm He is the epitome of failing upward. He has done it his whole entire career.
It makes sense once you factor in that Trumpworld doesn't want a good economist. What they want is someone who can convincingly pretend to be an economist while spouting the party line.
Sooo much this.

That quote from him is amazing, and should be repeated loudly and widely right now.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:39 pm Sooo much this.

That quote from him is amazing, and should be repeated loudly and widely right now.
Unless he is trying to throw his clout around now, I'd rather not think of him. However, it should be a soundbite every single time he projects, defends, or attacks. Though it looks like he has long track record of prognosticating the opposite of what is going to happen to bolster "conservative" positions.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Nobody cares.

If a Trumpian figure declares that the moon is made of green cheese, three things will happen:

1) Right-wing media will declare that the green cheese theory is correct and has always been correct.
2) Democrats will insist that the green cheese theory is wrong, sure, but that it's not worth fighting about.
3) MSM will both-sides the debate and ask if Democrats are dividing America when cheese matters more than anything.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/27/politics ... index.html
The Republican gubernatorial nominee in Michigan invoked a conspiracy that the Covid-19 pandemic and protests in the summer of 2020 after the killing of George Floyd were part of a decades-long plan by the Democratic Party to “topple” the United States as retaliation for losing the US Civil War, adding that the party wanted to enslave people “again.”
Well that is quite the take on things.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

And it really feels like there is no way to put it out.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Well, at least this is a crazy conspiracy theory that casts the Confederacy as the bad guys.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Is this guy Mr. Burns? I don't know how you even connect those dots after the 1960s.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

malchior wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:29 pm Is this guy Mr. Burns? I don't know how you even connect those dots after the 1960s.
She... And she is the daughter of steel foundry owner who became a conservative (conspiracy) Internet broadcaster when she got bored making money from her daddy.

She buttered her bread by being an election denier who was funded by the DeVos' and then endorsed by Trump.

Here's the skin deep summary

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tudor_Dixon
malchior

Post by malchior »

Doh. Confused the Michigan race with the Wisconsin race. (Hits head) Other side of the lake, dummy. Anyway, I didn't even realize she was running! It makes more sense to me now. This is the sort of dumb that can only come out the 3rd or 4th tier of GOP political commentators.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Well, I thought anything in the current political arena could not surprise me anymore, but that did it.

Wow. Well done...whoever came up with that one.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

And I thought Youngkin was supposed to be part of the more moderate GOP . . .
[CNN] Just hours removed from the news that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s husband had been attacked at the couple’s San Francisco home, Gov. Glenn Youngkin was on the stump for fellow Virginia Republican Yesli Vega, who is running for a House seat.

And Youngkin said this: “Speaker Pelosi’s husband had a break-in last night in their house, and he was assaulted. There’s no room for violence anywhere, but we’re gonna send her back to be with him in California. That’s what we’re going to go do.”
What a shitty thing to say.
malchior

Post by malchior »

It's shitty as hell but frankly this is not surprising. It is increasingly hard to remain a true moderate in this party and stay relevant unfortunately. Or maybe more accurately the party has drifted so far out of the old center that even a moderate is becoming an extremist.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

As much as I loved to hate John McCain, at least he leaned into the civility that should be present in politics.