Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Carpet_pissr

Re: Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Octavious wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:52 am Jesus. And people wonder why all the cable companies dropped their channel. :P
If the content weren't so disgusting, Barbie struggling to read there would be funny. At first I thought the sheer volume of that hooker eye makeup was probably clouding her sight, but then I realized she's just probably close to illiterate, like her "non-elite" God, DJT. In 30 years, this clan will just be grunting and using hand signals to communicate. Readin' and learnin' is a liberal elite trait!
malchior

Post by malchior »

It really feels like Germany 1932 here sometimes. What we've continued to see isn't so different from the 'stabbed in the back' rhetoric of that time.

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Grifman wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:49 am This so saddens me:

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... epublicans
It’s surreal. And awful.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳

Post by Default »

It saddens me that he thought the Dems would embrace fascism before the Republicans would.

No, it actually doesn't. He would be a Republican with a need to be afraid of something, anything, so he can shoot his constituents in the foot.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

The obvious Sleaze Ball and quite possibly sex trafficker wins primary in Florida.

Helping define the 21st Century Republican Party.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:57 pm It really feels like Germany 1932 here sometimes. What we've continued to see isn't so different from the 'stabbed in the back' rhetoric of that time.

He's promoting voting over violence, nominally at least. it's not elegant and there is an undertone of race-baiting but hey, just another mischaracterization in 144 characters or less meant to whip up outrage. No big deal.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Meanwhile, in Texas, the GOP accepted "book banning" craze has reached the "this ain't funny anymore" level

A school just banned the book written by the person the school was named after.

George Dawson Middle School in Southlake Texas has just banned "Life is So Good" written by George Dawson. Yes, same one.

George Dawson was the grandson of a slave, learned to read at 98, and co-wrote a book about his life when he was 103.

Apparently the school's journalism class has "tabled" the book "until we can talk to the principal". But then, Texas's educational guidance on the Holocaust was "balance it with alternative views".
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:44 pm
malchior wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:57 pm It really feels like Germany 1932 here sometimes. What we've continued to see isn't so different from the 'stabbed in the back' rhetoric of that time.

He's promoting voting over violence, nominally at least. it's not elegant and there is an undertone of race-baiting but hey, just another mischaracterization in 144 characters or less meant to whip up outrage. No big deal.
I'm a little confused here. How can a word for word quote be a mischaracterization of what he said? This is not some 6-second cut out of context. This is a fairly long snippet of the speech. Enough to see at least that he used the violent imagery and race-baiting often used to delegitimize opposition. The word nominally is accurate.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I normally agree that tweets can be misleading, but this one seems on the money.
Covfefe!
stessier

Post by stessier »

It's really scary how close the Loomer race was.

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
malchior

Post by malchior »

It's sad that it's a relief that a far-right election denier won over a far, far right election denier.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Straight from Momma’s basement:

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

An interesting look at what the transition to Fox News Republicans had truly meant:

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... m-00053991
despite all that Fox’s detractors said about the network being a mouthpiece for the Republican Party, the two organizations had fundamentally different aims.
Good politics is often bad TV. As much as we rightly lament the decline of the American electorate’s aspirations and expectations, at least a plurality of voters still clearly prefer competency, cooperation and decency. And what could be more boring than that?
As a journalist, I believe that what is wrong with my vocation and the industry in which I work is harming Americans left, right and center. Major players in the news business are abusing their privileges and shirking their duties, and we all pay the price

And
news that is bad for your audience’s ideological in-groups is clickbait kryptonite. In such a competitive marketplace, riling people up against the other side isn’t enough. You’ve also got to create a safe space for consumers to plop down and contentedly contemplate ads for beet-based nutrient powders, reverse mortgages and copper underpants. If you challenge their assumptions or suggest that their avatars in the culture war are wrong or losing, they may leave for competitors who offer more complete protection from harsh realities.

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I swear by my copper underpants!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Pyperkub wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:57 pm An interesting look at what the transition to Fox News Republicans had truly meant:

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... m-00053991
That's pure Deathwatch material. Fox's news division was a relatively staid information gathering and reporting function tied to a misinformation cult. It was only a matter of time before it'd come to a head.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Good lord.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Trump's doing great.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It gets even weirder. He's also reposting fake quotes from his own daughter.

Covfefe!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

It is almost entirely thanks to trump that Republicans are not only going to be denied their red wave, but Democrats actually have a narrow path to keep their majorities. Keep spouting that lunacy!
Holman

Post by Holman »

I guess the real question is whether, if he actually gets indicted, Trump will keep his calls for violence implicit or just declare for armed MAGA resistance.

I don't think there's any doubt that he's willing to burn America down in order to keep himself on top.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

IN some ways, it is very hard to argue that it isn't.
Is Sedition Now A Policy of the GOP?
On the other hand, if Trump is not serious—by which I mean that he does not actually believe that either of these remedies are even theoretically possible—then he is advocating the overthrow of the legitimately-elected government of the United States and rejecting the Constitution.

Maybe this rejection is an expression of authoritarian aspiration. Maybe it’s nihilism. Or maybe it’s performance art.

But no matter what the motivation, the result is the same. It’s sedition. So anyone who wants to throw in with Trump on the “oh he doesn’t really mean it” tip is signing up for sedition and rejects the Constitution.

That’s it. Those are the only options.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Signs of anger against the GOP are showing up everywhere. Alaska's special election has voted in a newbie Democrat, Mary Peltola, for the house seat, that had been red since the 1970s, and her opponent was Sarah Palin, one of the more famous GOPers around who had a history WITH Alaska. Even reporters try to reason that "people are just tired of Palin". They can't contemplate that it's a ground swell that'll capsize the GOP except in some true red states that actually think these increasingly Christian-Taliban policies are actually going to SAVE them instead of SINK them.

The sucky part is this special election was only for 4 months, since the seat will be up for election AGAIN in November.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
malchior

Post by malchior »

Let's be clear Cotton knows what happened. A good chunk of folks voted for Bergin and their second choice was Not Palin. The result was more democratic but the message he intentionally chose is any election that the Democrats win is illegitimate.

Last edited by malchior on Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah I can't imagine getting a politician you don't want even though a higher percentage of people voted for the other person. That's rough. :violin:
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Signs that GOP had gone off the rails:

Enlarge Image

We don't have to label them. They have labeled themselves.

Didn't help when Louie Gohmert (R-TX) flew to Miami to present a US flag that flew over the Capitol to Simone Gold, who just got out of Fed Jail for her role in Jan 6th.

Yes, we have Texas Republican congressman openly honoring rioters and insurrectionists who tried to storm Congress. F- that.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:00 pm https://www.conservative.org/video/cpac ... 022-day-3/

5h31m mark

I have not watched it.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:11 am Yeah I can't imagine getting a politician you don't want even though a higher percentage of people voted for the other person. That's rough. :violin:
That's just mental gymnastics and equivocation. Cotton was IMPLYING that if you vote R the winner should be R. But he's trying to obfuscate / neglect-to-mention that there were TWO R candidates vs. 1 D candidate on the ballot. The fact that R failed to force one candidate to drop out as not to dilute the votes was simply not mentioned. Blame the constituents, not their own strategy. It's NEVER GOP's fault that they lost.

Didn't Kemp accused Dem's of cheating when he described exactly what Reps did in the previous election, and now Dem's returning the favor?

Entitled losers.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:42 am
YellowKing wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:11 am Yeah I can't imagine getting a politician you don't want even though a higher percentage of people voted for the other person. That's rough. :violin:
That's just mental gymnastics and equivocation. Cotton was IMPLYING that if you vote R the winner should be R. But he's trying to obfuscate / neglect-to-mention that there were TWO R candidates vs. 1 D candidate on the ballot. The fact that R failed to force one candidate to drop out as not to dilute the votes was simply not mentioned. Blame the constituents, not their own strategy. It's NEVER GOP's fault that they lost.

Didn't Kemp accused Dem's of cheating when he described exactly what Reps did in the previous election, and now Dem's returning the favor?

Entitled losers.
The thing is that the Democrats didn't win because Republicans split their vote, which is what Cotton is kind of trying to make it sound like. Because of ranked choice voting, voters were asked to rank their preferences in terms of which candidate that they wanted 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. So the Democrat won not because Republicans split their votes among Republicans, but because enough Republicans who voted for the losing Republican picked the Democratic candidate as their second choice, instead of Sarah Palin.

But anytime a Republican loses, they want to revise the electorate so that they have to choose a Republican next time.
Black Lives Matter.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

El Guapo wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:37 pm
Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:42 am That's just mental gymnastics and equivocation. Cotton was IMPLYING that if you vote R the winner should be R. But he's trying to obfuscate / neglect-to-mention that there were TWO R candidates vs. 1 D candidate on the ballot. The fact that R failed to force one candidate to drop out as not to dilute the votes was simply not mentioned. Blame the constituents, not their own strategy. It's NEVER GOP's fault that they lost.
The thing is that the Democrats didn't win because Republicans split their vote, which is what Cotton is kind of trying to make it sound like. Because of ranked choice voting, voters were asked to rank their preferences in terms of which candidate that they wanted 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. So the Democrat won not because Republicans split their votes among Republicans, but because enough Republicans who voted for the losing Republican picked the Democratic candidate as their second choice, instead of Sarah Palin.

But anytime a Republican loses, they want to revise the electorate so that they have to choose a Republican next time.
And depending on how you read the vote, that PROVES the point: enough Republican voters felt "if my guy doesn't win then my vote goes to the Dems". They are NOT voting party line. And whose fault is that? The Republican party, of course. The loser should have dropped out and endorsed the other candidate to ensure their win. They didn't. They lost. And they're blaming the system instead of themselves.
malchior

Post by malchior »

It's cool that now DeSantis is joining Abbott laughing it up by shipping human beings to own the libs.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

DeSantis and Abbot are all about the political theater these days. They know they need to outdo Trump if they want to continue down the path they’ve chosen (extremism). They’d sell their own families into slavery to keep skin in the game.
Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

hepcat wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:30 pm DeSantis and Abbot are all about the political theater these days. They know they need to outdo Trump if they want to continue down the path they’ve chosen (extremism). They’d sell their own families into slavery to keep skin color in the game.
Mortoned.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

malchior wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:21 pm It's cool that now DeSantis is joining Abbott laughing it up by shipping human beings to own the libs.

Do these migrants go willingly? Are they forced onto the plane and then just abandoned at the airport?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:55 pm Do these migrants go willingly? Are they forced onto the plane and then just abandoned at the airport?
I'd take a free ride to the Vineyard. But MV is quite tony and there's no work in the off-season, so I reckon they'll be on a ferry to the mainland pretty soon. The Cape would have loved more laborers before the season ended, if they could have figured out where to house them.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:33 pm
Alefroth wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:55 pm Do these migrants go willingly? Are they forced onto the plane and then just abandoned at the airport?
I'd take a free ride to the Vineyard. But MV is quite tony and there's no work in the off-season, so I reckon they'll be on a ferry to the mainland pretty soon. The Cape would have loved more laborers before the season ended, if they could have figured out where to house them.
I kind of assume that the migrants are re-arrested fairly promptly? I can't imagine that the arrival of the planes was a complete surprise to anyone. And all DeSantis cares about is the "own the libs" headline, so I don't think he's exactly inclined to help the migrants evade arrest after arrival.
Black Lives Matter.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The way to handle this bullshit is to run targeted ads in Florida and Texas accusing their Governors of using government funds to assist illegal aliens seeking asylum in the US. Giving a free ride and assisting illegal immigration — with you tax dollars. Why does DeSantis help the traffickers, and not you?

They do it to own the libs and boost their standing with the conservative base. So turn it against them.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:47 am
I kind of assume that the migrants are re-arrested fairly promptly? I can't imagine that the arrival of the planes was a complete surprise to anyone. And all DeSantis cares about is the "own the libs" headline, so I don't think he's exactly inclined to help the migrants evade arrest after arrival.
Boston is a sanctuary city, so I don't think arrest is in the cards. If I understand it correctly we don't arrest people who are waiting for a hearing anyway. And unless DeSatan is sending us the lowest dregs, these folks will have no trouble finding jobs, if we can house them.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

It was a surprise. Desantis notified Fox News for an exclusive story but no one else. And as noted, the whole reason he sends to sanctuary cities/states is because he knows it's a huge disruption. They don't have the same federally funded resources that Texas and Florida do to deal with sudden bus/plane loads of migrants.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kraken wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:42 am
unless DeSatan is sending us the lowest dregs.
Not sending his best and brightest. Mostly rapists and murderers.