Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Skinypupy

Re: Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

Post by Skinypupy »

malchior wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:22 pm Beyond the security questions which are moot IMO I'm confused why other outlets are keeping silent while they are excluded. They are simply covering the story. It is strange that they aren't at least demanding equal access. I haven't even heard any real discussion about why they wouldn't have equal access.
I can't help but wonder if that because there's more eyeballs and clicks to be had from standing back and covering the controversy of the move, than actually being responsible journalists and working to get a copy of it for themselves.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

There are some good reasons not to do it also. It's a *LOT* of video. You're committing to a lot of work if you do argue for access. Still I figured there'd be a taker or two outside Fox who'd argue for access.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I would guess that the major networks are making requests to Fox right now.

When the latter refuses, that becomes the story.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

What are the chances this was giving Fox a chance to get ahead of the horrible stories that will come down on them when it all gets exposed eventually?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Unagi wrote:What are the chances this was giving Fox a chance to get ahead of the horrible stories that will come down on them when it all gets exposed eventually?
Fox doesn't need real footage to do that.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Took a while, but...

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

One of the revelations that came out in the Dominion lawsuit beyond the fact that Fox knew they were promoting the big lie was Murdoch admitted that he provided Jared Kushner with information about Biden ads before they were aired. Super cool.

Fox News
Dominion details the close relationship that Fox hosts and executives enjoyed with senior Republican Party officials and members of the Trump inner circle, revealing how at times Fox was shaping the very story it was covering. It describes how Mr. Murdoch placed a call to the Republican leader of the Senate, Mitch McConnell, immediately after the election. In his deposition, Mr. Murdoch testified that during that call he likely urged Mr. McConnell to “ask other senior Republicans to refuse to endorse Mr. Trump’s conspiracy theories and baseless claims of fraud.”

Dominion also describes how Mr. Murdoch provided Mr. Trump’s son-in-law and senior adviser, Jared Kushner, with confidential information about ads that the Biden campaign would be running on Fox.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

"Dominion News" has a nice ring to it, eh?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

malchior wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:11 pm One of the revelations that came out in the Dominion lawsuit beyond the fact that Fox knew they were promoting the big lie was Murdoch admitted that he provided Jared Kushner with information about Biden ads before they were aired. Super cool.

Fox News
Dominion details the close relationship that Fox hosts and executives enjoyed with senior Republican Party officials and members of the Trump inner circle, revealing how at times Fox was shaping the very story it was covering. It describes how Mr. Murdoch placed a call to the Republican leader of the Senate, Mitch McConnell, immediately after the election. In his deposition, Mr. Murdoch testified that during that call he likely urged Mr. McConnell to “ask other senior Republicans to refuse to endorse Mr. Trump’s conspiracy theories and baseless claims of fraud.”

Dominion also describes how Mr. Murdoch provided Mr. Trump’s son-in-law and senior adviser, Jared Kushner, with confidential information about ads that the Biden campaign would be running on Fox.
While we all know the FEC has been gimped for decades by the GOP, I could see the FCC having words with Fox about this.

Also, the Biden Campaign could well file a Civil lawsuit against Fox, Rupert and Kushner here as well.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

If you can’t win elections . . .

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
malchior

Post by malchior »

It's weird. It's almost like if you pass a few fascist laws then surprise you start to get some hard line fascist law proposals.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Sen. Blaise Ingoglia is sponsoring the “Ultimate Cancel Act,” which would eliminate all political parties that once used slavery as part of its platform.
...which would also include the Republican party. Thus making all of Florida independent.

Why not?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

MYG is such an idiot.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Plot Twist: That is how the mother of George Santos died on 9/11.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Now, what is that you were saying about math and reading levels???

OMG that's so hilarious.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Can we please change the thread title to Banana Republican?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

This is where we are.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Exactly - it's clear with what's happened with Santos. He said all the things he did because he knew the media wouldn't fact check and even if they did, it wouldn't have mattered. She's absolutely right.
malchior

Post by malchior »

On another note, I have bothered to watch the Garland hearings today and the Republicans are frankly all crazy people now. Every single one of them with maybe the exception of Grassley (edit: and Graham!). They are collectively arguing with a straight face that they've never seen the DOJ more politicized than it is now. Cruz, Hawley, and Lee were pretty much screaming at Garland at some point in their questioning. They levied distorted or conspiracy theory adjacent accusations against Garland. I don't know what is going to happen but it is looking darker by the day.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I guess this is part of their values now too (at least in TX)? Have more children, pay fewer local taxes.

Supporting Texas means supporting Texas families. Families are the building blocks of society. We must support families by making it easier for them to have and raise kids

With HB 2889, Texas will start saying: "Get married, stay married, and be fruitful and multiply."
Maybe I don't understand what happens with property taxes collected in TX but starving local services of support while you increase said use of the same feels like...well, maybe someone needs to go over the math.
geezer

Post by geezer »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:17 pm I guess this is part of their values now too (at least in TX)? Have more children, pay fewer local taxes.

Supporting Texas means supporting Texas families. Families are the building blocks of society. We must support families by making it easier for them to have and raise kids

With HB 2889, Texas will start saying: "Get married, stay married, and be fruitful and multiply."
Maybe I don't understand what happens with property taxes collected in TX but starving local services of support while you increase said use of the same feels like...well, maybe someone needs to go over the math.
No, you pretty much get it. What you may not realize is a significant part of property taxes paid are levied by - wait for it - the public school district. So what these fuckwits want, basically, is to starve the public schools, THEN get state funds (that other people are paying) back to send their kids to private schools. They're real dicks.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:17 pm I guess this is part of their values now too (at least in TX)? Have more children, pay fewer local taxes.

Nah, the value spectrum is a bit more ominous than that...
Eastman(R) was unimpressed, and questioned whether fatal child abuse could be economically beneficial to wider society, an argument he claimed to have heard.

Eastman said: "It can be argued, periodically, that it's actually a cost savings because that child is not going to need any of those government services that they might otherwise be entitled to receive and need based on growing up in this type of environment."

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

geezer wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:49 pm No, you pretty much get it. What you may not realize is a significant part of property taxes paid are levied by - wait for it - the public school district. So what these fuckwits want, basically, is to starve the public schools, THEN get state funds (that other people are paying) back to send their kids to private schools. They're real dicks.
That's what I read but then I thought maybe Texas property taxes are different than Michigan's. The vast majority of property taxes here are for Public Schools and public works that mostly benefit families.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Exposing the core belief of modern conservatives — it’s better to kill children than pay taxes or provide governmental assistance.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Remember when the Democrats demanded Franken resign because there was a video of him making a honking motion towards a woman's breasts?

Remember that? Good times.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:25 am Remember when the Democrats demanded Franken resign because there was a video of him making a honking motion towards a woman's breasts?

Franken is actually a little miffed at all that.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

He can always run again. He's got Cancelled cred.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:25 am Remember when the Democrats demanded Franken resign because there was a video of him making a honking motion towards a woman's breasts?

You can grab them there, too? :shock:
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Mother of the year:

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I may judge her for what she does, and I may not be overly fond of that particular organization, but I'm not going to judge her for her teenage son having sex. That's not a parental failing.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

The mother is only 16?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Presumably the son having a kid would increase her influence as a mother.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Denver Post
Boebert verified her son and his girlfriend are not married and declined to reveal the age of the girlfriend, other than to say she’s over 14. (Colorado’s age of consent is 17, with exceptions allowing unmarried consensual sex when partners are within four years of the same age.)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:14 pm Denver Post
Boebert verified her son and his girlfriend are not married and declined to reveal the age of the girlfriend, other than to say she’s over 14. (Colorado’s age of consent is 17, with exceptions allowing unmarried consensual sex when partners are within four years of the same age.)
So....she's 15?
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

>=15
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:16 pm>=15
Right, I get the math. But if the age of consent is 17, then presumably they would say "older than 16" if they could say that accurately. Which means 15 or 16, and between the two I think 15 is more likely since if it was 16 you imagine that they would say "older than 15".
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Probably 15.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That could be a Sophomore dating a Junior. That's not exactly extreme.

That's not to say that people getting pregnant at 15 is a good thing, just that I don't see it as extreme as some people seem to be making it out to be (nor a sign of poor parenting.)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:16 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:14 pm Denver Post
So....she's 15?
The real question is did her husband show her his penis?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The day after your 14th birthday you could be considered "over 14."

Please don't argue with me, I'm just amusing myself here. :D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter