Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Carpet_pissr

Re: Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Holman wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:37 pm What's hilarious is that they believe it's McDaniel who has cost them so many elections, as opposed to the Dobbs decision and the MAGA knuckleheads they keep nominating.
If that's true, let's pray they continue to chase and blame the wrong reasons. The more they actually figure things out, the worse it is for those of us not in the cult.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive seen this thread title a million times but this time i saw it as defying the republican party and I thought "You'll need a bazooka"
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Mitch McConnell, Republican Senate Leader, Announces Retirement as Minority Leader
itch McConnell, the Republican Senate Minority Leader, has been a prominent figure in American politics for decades. But at 81 years old, McConnell can’t remain in leadership forever – and today, he’s announced he will be stepping down as Republican Leader in November, opening the spot up to a replacement.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:38 pm Mitch McConnell, Republican Senate Leader, Announces Retirement as Minority Leader
itch McConnell, the Republican Senate Minority Leader, has been a prominent figure in American politics for decades. But at 81 years old, McConnell can’t remain in leadership forever – and today, he’s announced he will be stepping down as Republican Leader in November, opening the spot up to a replacement.
Now "Itch" will be able to scratch full time.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:38 pm Mitch McConnell, Republican Senate Leader, Announces Retirement as Minority Leader
Allow me to predict that nothing will change. According to a random ABC News article the top replacement contenders are:
John Thune
John Barrasso
John Cornyn

All three seem to come from existing party leadership with close ties to the turtle so I wouldn't expect any policy changes from this half of the uniparty.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Moliere wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:32 pm
Allow me to predict that nothing will change. According to a random ABC News article the top replacement contenders are:
John Thune
John Barrasso
John Cornyn

All three seem to come from existing party leadership with close ties to the turtle so I wouldn't expect any policy changes from this half of the uniparty.
Maybe.

but the bomb throwers have been infiltrating the Senate as well, and will definitely try to pull a McCarthy takedown.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

These days, all changes in the GOP are for the worse. I hope we won't be looking back wistfully at Itch a year from now.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kraken wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:07 pm These days, all changes in the GOP are for the worse. I hope we won't be looking back wistfully at Itch a year from now.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Itch was a major player, setting all of this motion. The idea that they aren't his monkeys, aren't his circus is totally isn't demonstrably not part of his tenure as shown by all of his "accomplishments". He was the arsonist that set fire to the house as he invited all the vagrants to move in with accelerant. Just because they may get worse after he leaves is no reason for me wish he'd come back.
Last edited by LordMortis on Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The Freedom Caucus put out a tweet or something calling him (D-Ukraine), in case you ever wondered how far off the rails the Freedom Caucus is.

Itch is directly responsible for the SCOTUS we have today and all the harm that flows from it, and that alone is unforgivable. But his successor is already thinking "hold my beer."
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Will never, ever forgive or forget what McConnell did when he refused to let Garland on the Supreme Court, followed up by the shameless hypocrisy of rushing Barrett through following RBG’s death. Never.

Also, it’s not like that was the only dirty deed with the Turtle’s fingerprints all over it. Countless others, not to mention the course of abject obstructionism he charted for the senate during the Obama administration.

If you could look up the phrase “party before country,” I believe a portrait of the Turtle would be right next to it.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kurth wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:08 am Will never, ever forgive or forget what McConnell did when he refused to let Garland on the Supreme Court, followed up by the shameless hypocrisy of rushing Barrett through following RBG’s death. Never.
Same here, it was the most bullshit Senate moments in my lifetime. Completely disenfranchised American voters.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:23 pm
Kraken wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:07 pm These days, all changes in the GOP are for the worse. I hope we won't be looking back wistfully at Itch a year from now.
Yeah, the sad truth here (which the cartoon isn't wrong about) is that Mitch McConnell is simultaneously one of the most despicable political leaders in modern American history, and at the same time has been holding back stuff which is even worse.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

McConnell Had the Power to Stop Trump and He Refused

Almost everything else in McConnell's career could be not exactly forgiven, but moved on from at least. But his refusal to do anything to stop Trump at any significance juncture is completely unforgivable.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, McConnell is one of the prime architects of the current fringe GOP that eventually ended up eating him. He has only himself to blame.
He won. Period.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

His face was the most delicious.
-Anonymous leopard
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

Kurth wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:08 am Will never, ever forgive or forget what McConnell did when he refused to let Garland on the Supreme Court, followed up by the shameless hypocrisy of rushing Barrett through following RBG’s death. Never.

Also, it’s not like that was the only dirty deed with the Turtle’s fingerprints all over it. Countless others, not to mention the course of abject obstructionism he charted for the senate during the Obama administration.

If you could look up the phrase “party before country,” I believe a portrait of the Turtle would be right next to it.
+1. Garland was a legitimate and good candidate. There was no good reason to refuse him not even for politics.

Of everyone who will be criticised in Weimar America he will be one of the most as he could have stopped trump but chose not to.
Last edited by waitingtoconnect on Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hepcat wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:25 pm Yeah, McConnell is one of the prime architects of the current fringe GOP that eventually ended up eating him. He has only himself to blame.
If that's true then that cartoon is bullshit.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:55 pm
hepcat wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:25 pm Yeah, McConnell is one of the prime architects of the current fringe GOP that eventually ended up eating him. He has only himself to blame.
I think it's more of a "Yes, but...."

He is absolutely responsible for getting us to the "whole bunch of crazy shit" to begin with.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

The cartoon needs to zoom out and show that the large pool of water is being filled by an open valve labeled Mitch McConnel.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

One of McConnell's main political insights that he deeply internalized is that people (and most of the media) don't really understand policy and so place a lot of emphasis on whether something is "partisan" or "bipartisan". So when McConnell wound up in charge of the Senate GOP under a democratic president (2009) he implemented an almost total blockade on working with the president.

But what I'm not sure he appreciated (or maybe didn't care) was the long-term impact of that kind of partisan blockade. Because a blockade like that can only really be justified through culture war type extremism. It can't just be that your policy ideas are better, or else the obvious response is to get in a room and negotiate a compromise or at least horse trade different things that each party wants. A total blockade or near total blockade can only be justified by ZOMG Communism!!!
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Brian wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:02 pm
I think it's more of a "Yes, but...."

He is absolutely responsible for getting us to the "whole bunch of crazy shit" to begin with.
You know at some point it's going to progress where Marjorie Taylor Greene is the one being ousted by the next group of even crazier lunatics ("Representative Green has not done nearly enough to stop the Jewish space lasers!").
Black Lives Matter.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Unagi wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:36 am
Same here, it was the most bullshit Senate moments in my lifetime. Completely disenfranchised American voters.
For that alone he deserves a miserable end.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I haven't seen any reporting on this, but can we assume that McConnell is stepping away not from any sort of principle (fresh leadership for the Party or whatever) but because his health and brain are fading to the point where he can no longer do the job?

He's said to be protected and controlled by long-time aides these days, but this hasn't seemed to come up.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

He's said his health isn't a factor. At least that's what the mindflayer embryo made him say.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:15 pm He's said his health isn't a factor. At least that's what the mindflayer embryo made him say.
He said "My health... [frozen 8-minute pause] ...isn't a factor."
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

:D
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Holman wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:27 pm
Alefroth wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:15 pm He's said his health isn't a factor. At least that's what the mindflayer embryo made him say.
He said "My health... [frozen 8-minute pause] ...isn't a factor."
:clap:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Unagi wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:07 pm The cartoon needs to zoom out and show that the large pool of water is being filled by an open valve labeled Mitch McConnel.
I think people need to remember that the dam is what causes the reservoir to come into existence in the first place. Mitch literally (the figurative meaning of literal) filled American politics with shit, then gets credit for not letting it flood the country all at once? Lol.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:20 pm
Unagi wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:07 pm The cartoon needs to zoom out and show that the large pool of water is being filled by an open valve labeled Mitch McConnel.
I think people need to remember that the dam is what causes the reservoir to come into existence in the first place. Mitch literally (the figurative meaning of literal) filled American politics with shit, then gets credit for not letting it flood the country all at once? Lol.
The dam is the cause, yes, but is now also the only protection. It's a fitting metaphor.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:58 pm The dam is the cause, yes, but is now also the only protection. It's a fitting metaphor.
:handgestures-salute:

Agreed.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I submit that we have already been flooded by the "whole bunch of crazy bullshit".

Thus the cartoon is bollocks.
Holman

Post by Holman »

The dam is laws and norms. McConnell was the Chief Engineer who cancelled any and all scheduled maintenance.
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

Personally I blame the GoP running down our public education system.

The number of people who can’t do basic maths, basic English, basic sciences, weren’t taught how to reason and are addicted to social media creates this problem.

Teachers all over the country observe that while the smart driven kids still succeed the gap between these students and the general student population grows year on year.

In other words we are creating an Idiocracy.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Back to Trump's GOP. His celebrity pick for Congress in Nevada is now wanted for murder.
Daniel Rodimer, the disgraced GOP congressional candidate who was endorsed by Donald Trump despite a previous arrest for a Waffle House assault, is being sought by Las Vegas police in connection to a murder.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:12 pm Teachers all over the country observe that while the smart driven kids still succeed the gap between these students and the general student population grows year on year.

I feel seen.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Remus West wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:12 pm
waitingtoconnect wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:12 pm Teachers all over the country observe that while the smart driven kids still succeed the gap between these students and the general student population grows year on year.

I feel seen.
I expect the Pandemic remote modalities was a huge driver here too, but is it rebounding? I have no idea.

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

The RNC and the Republican Party are no more:

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

That has been true for a long time, FWIW.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

What I'm super interested in is what happens to the RNC after 2028, assuming drumpf loses.

At a minimum, the coffers are going to be emptied into off shore accounts. Maybe the drumpfs will just remain installed as the RNC overlords for a generation, even after drumpf himself is long dead?