Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Carpet_pissr

Re: Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Remus West wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:40 pm Seems like that is a result of the majority of the rational ones leaving the party because the national party is already insane and they want no part of it.
Yep. The purge appears to be waning because it's almost complete.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's awesome how people like Ted Cruz say this nonsense and his constituents presumably lap it all up.

Senator Ted Cruz
The impact of President Biden being beholden to the Green New Deal radicals in his party has electricity costs through the roof in Texas.
As noted:
The Texas grid is entirely cut off from the rest of the country’s electrical system, and Texas officials control the prices.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Because I like finding articles that cross topics, please enjoy the deep thoughts of a potential future AZ GOP representative, Blake Masters:
Tech investor and Arizona Republican Senate hopeful Blake Masters acknowledges that the United States has a gun violence problem. But he also has a theory about why there’s a problem—it’s “Black people, frankly.”

Masters boiled the issue down in an April 11 interview on the Jeff Oravits Show podcast, telling the host that “we do have a gun violence problem in this country, and it’s gang violence.”

“It’s people in Chicago, St. Louis shooting each other. Very often, you know, Black people, frankly,” Masters clarified. “And the Democrats don’t want to do anything about that.”
Hadn't actually seen this floated in a while, so it's good to see the GOP is keeping it alive.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

It's a faulty premise, but the fuel is still purchased on the global market and subject to national policy.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
malchior

Post by malchior »

noxiousdog wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:39 pm It's a faulty premise, but the fuel is still purchased on the global market and subject to national policy.
Right the biggest inputs are but I'd like to see any credible linkage between Biden's policies and actual oil/lng prices. It's almost certainly next to zilch. He is dumping oil into the market and it didn't even perturb prices (as predicted).
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Apparently we're going to be hearing quite a bit more about Blake Masters

73 year old man who showed up at a Republican event in a BLM shirt is physically attacked and assaulted by AZ US Senate candidate Blake Masters.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Instant endorsement from Trump. Might as well pencil him in for the spot now.

Edit... checks notes. Already endorced. Because of course.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

A great Thread on 21st Century GOP messaging and, generally, their entire platform:

Here is the Republican message on everything of importance:
1. They can tell people what to do.
2. You cannot tell them what to do.

This often gets mistaken for hypocrisy, there’s an additional layer of complexity to this (later in the thread), but this is the basic formula...

...You've watched the Republican Party champion the idea of "freedom" while you have also watched the same party openly assault various freedoms, like the freedom to vote, freedom to choose, freedom to marry who you want and so on...

...If this has been a source of confusion, then your assessments of what Republicans mean by “freedom” were likely too generous. Here’s what they mean:

1. The freedom to tell people what to do.
2. Freedom from being told what to do.
Examples from later in the thread:
As you can see, this is a very stunning commitment to refusing to be told what to do. So much so that it is not in fact “pro-life.” But Republicans will nevertheless claim to be the “pro-life” party. That is because they recognize “pro-life” can be used to tell people what to do...

...The reason they say they are “pro-life” when they are trying to tell women what to do with their bodies is not out of genuine concern for human life, but because they recognize that in this position, they can tell women what to do with their bodies...

...That’s why when you use that same appeal—“pro-life”—when you ask Republicans to do something about gun violence in schools, it doesn’t work. Because you are now in the position of telling Republicans what to do. That’s precisely why they don’t want to do anything about it...

...Anyway, gun violence in schools is not a problem, but their children having to wear masks in schools is. Because somebody is telling their children what to do. Dead children don’t bother them, but telling their children what to do? Only *they* should do that...

...They claim to be for “small government”, but that really means a government that tells them what to do should be as small as possible. But when the Republican Party recognizes it has an opportunity to tell people what to do, the government required for that tends to be large.
And the conclusion:
Now here’s where things get interesting: when you explain to Republicans you want them to do something and explain it’s on the basis of benefitting other people. Now you have really crossed a line. Not only did you tell them what to do, you told them to consider others...

...The whole point of an arrangement where you can tell people what to do, but you can’t be told what to do, is precisely to avoid having to consider others. This is why this is their ideal arrangement: so they don’t have to do that.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:35 pm Apparently we're going to be hearing quite a bit more about Blake Masters
73 year old man who showed up at a Republican event in a BLM shirt is physically attacked and assaulted by AZ US Senate candidate Blake Masters.
Ashley: "You're up 39 points!"
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:35 pm Apparently we're going to be hearing quite a bit more about Blake Masters

You mean this guy?

Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ugh. I was referring to the post I'd made on Monday about him, but that's also...something.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

20 minutes to order food? Sir you need to use your finger and not your gun to tap on the screen.

I saw one comment online yesterday saying that the average person uses 40 gallons of gas a week. And based off that someone making minimum wage is making no money now. Apparently everyone on average drives between 800 to 1,200 miles a week. I feel like such a slacker. :P
Last edited by Octavious on Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
malchior

Post by malchior »

I suspect that population of "average people" would include folks who drive 40 hours a week or more for a living to meet that target.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

40 gal / week - 300 million people... So 12 billion gals of gas. / week ... or 624 billion gals gas/year.

However, in 2021, I've read America consumed about 134 billion gals gas/year.

So if we force that consumption on 'the average American' it would be more likely about 8 gal/week. But of course, it's not right to spread that 134 billion gal of gas around to everyone.

edit: I suppose I'm wrong to use our full population in these numbers.
Last edited by Unagi on Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Remember, his base drive Hummers.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'm pretty sure I now have DeSantis in my top 5 most dangerous Republicans in the land right now.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think he sees a niche that even Trump won’t fill or hasn’t filled yet. Extreme intolerance from the evangelicals and their hateful world view. I’m curious to see what the Eye of Sauron that is Trump will do when he finally recognizes the threat he poses to his re-election plans.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

A group should stage a drag show outside of his kids' school(s).
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I’ve spent the past week visiting my brother in Tennessee. We’ve spent time in Nashville, Gatlinburg, and Chattanooga.

I’m realizing just how severely I underestimated the Southern fixation on Jesus, guns, and Donald Trump. It’s everywhere here, and this is coming from someone who lives in what I thought was the capital of Jesus and guns, if not quite as Trumpy (Salt Lake). It’s all just SO in your face down here and these people are just so very angry. So many “Let’s Go Brandon” stickers, Trump flags, MAGa hats, “Fuck Joe Biden” (at theme parks and water parks…classy) and “Trump is my President” shirts, etc. And they’re all on (and apologies for the generalization here) nearly the exact same person: white, fat, middle aged, and loud.

I get the strong sense that few of them know what they’re actually mad about other than “DEMS BAD!!”, but I can absolutely see how and why the messaging works. If this is the background noise every day and you are primed to lean that way to begin with, it’s a very easy nudge over to MAGA-land.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Welcome to Stupidville. Im surrounded by these morons every day. I keep my shields up.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Holman

Post by Holman »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:46 pm I’ve spent the past week visiting my brother in Tennessee. We’ve spent time in Nashville, Gatlinburg, and Chattanooga.
I've been assuming that Nashville was one of the more decent places to live in the South. I haven't been there in 25 years, but the latest I've heard is that it (like Atlanta and some college towns) is one of the few Deep-South cities where you can be gay without being miserable.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I wouldn't call Nashville "Deep South" but semantics and all that.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:00 pm I wouldn't call Nashville "Deep South" but semantics and all that.
Technically it's not. But I feel like TN joined the neo-CSA somewhere in the 1970s or 80s.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

At some point we are going to have to realign or reconsider the typical, easy "The South" as MAGA-land, or far right land even. MAGAts now infest most parts of the country, and have some very serious strongholds in states that are definitely not "Southern" geographically.

Yes, I'm a bit defensive about this, but I think we can all agree that far-rightism has spread far outside the typical core Southern states that it was once relatively contained in.

Maybe consider "red states"? Hell, I like MAGA-Land (as a name!). Someone either in this thread or another, not too long ago, made a comment about deep sixing The South or something like that, and while I was not able to respond at the moment, I was thinking "OK, fine, now what about ALL those other Trump-loving, non-Southern red states?" Whoever made that comment needs to look at a CURRENT political map I think. Might be surprised.

Proceed. :D
Holman

Post by Holman »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:24 pm At some point we are going to have to realign or reconsider the typical, easy "The South" as MAGA-land, or far right land even. MAGAts now infest most parts of the country, and have some very serious strongholds in states that are definitely not "Southern" geographically.

Yes, I'm a bit defensive about this, but I think we can all agree that far-rightism has spread far outside the typical core Southern states that it was once relatively contained in.

I think Red/Blue is a better indicator than regions. And that goes within regions as well: the good people of Atlanta and Nashville and Austin and the Research Triangle don't deserve to be lumped in with the Deplorable South, and Pennsylbama deserves none of the glory shed by Philly and Pittsburgh.

Don't get me started on the collapse of civilization in the Midwest.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Holman wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:00 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:46 pm I’ve spent the past week visiting my brother in Tennessee. We’ve spent time in Nashville, Gatlinburg, and Chattanooga.
I've been assuming that Nashville was one of the more decent places to live in the South. I haven't been there in 25 years, but the latest I've heard is that it (like Atlanta and some college towns) is one of the few Deep-South cities where you can be gay without being miserable.
Nashville proper isn’t terrible. It gets far more pervasive the further you get outside Nashville.

Gatlinburg was MAGA central, complete with multiple Trump stores located in strip malls.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:48 pm Gatlinburg was MAGA central, complete with multiple Trump stores located in strip malls.
That's what I'd expect.

I visited Gatlinburg as a kid when it was a fun town-sized tourist trap. A decade or more ago I heard that it all burned to the ground in a wildfire. Has it recovered?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:24 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:48 pm Gatlinburg was MAGA central, complete with multiple Trump stores located in strip malls.
That's what I'd expect.

I visited Gatlinburg as a kid when it was a fun town-sized tourist trap. A decade or more ago I heard that it all burned to the ground in a wildfire. Has it recovered?
Enlarge Image

Enlarge to read the date on the sign. That's me and my dad when I was 13.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Must have been interesting coming down the mountain without skis.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:29 am Must have been interesting coming down the mountain without skis.
I assume they rode the chairlift down as well.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

During the summer, you can ride up many of the lifts at the Utah resorts then hike back down. It’s fun.

Gatlinburg was definitely a huge tourist trap. It was packed too, I was shocked how many people were up there. Pigeon Forge is the one that makes me laugh though. It’s like a wanna-be Vegas, complete with gaudy neon light all down the main strip. It’s hilarious.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Unagi wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:18 am
Jaymann wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:29 am Must have been interesting coming down the mountain without skis.
Doesn't mean it wouldn't have been interesting.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

If that’s not a pic of a ‘Weekend at Bernie’s’ situation I don’t know what is.

Hilarity ensued when young Kraken and ‘companion’ tried to get down the mountain (whether on skis or not, for the literalists around here :p)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The Gatlinburg Sky Lift isn't a ski lift. It's just a scenic ride.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:29 am The Gatlinburg Sky Lift isn't a ski lift. It's just a scenic ride.
Doesn't mean you couldn't wear skis.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:39 am
Sure.

It must have been interesting coming down the mountain without a hang-glider.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:57 am During the summer, you can ride up many of the lifts at the Utah resorts then hike back down. It’s fun.
Totally. It’s a great way to fish some killer remote mountain lakes.

Of course, Kraken and his father didn’t look like they were dressed for that and the time of day, and all that. Also, one can see people riding the chairs down in the picture.

Post by Default »

Holman wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:31 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:24 pm At some point we are going to have to realign or reconsider the typical, easy "The South" as MAGA-land, or far right land even. MAGAts now infest most parts of the country, and have some very serious strongholds in states that are definitely not "Southern" geographically.

I think Red/Blue is a better indicator than regions. And that goes within regions as well: the good people of Atlanta and Nashville and Austin and the Research Triangle don't deserve to be lumped in with the Deplorable South, and Pennsylbama deserves none of the glory shed by Philly and Pittsburgh.

Don't get me started on the collapse of civilization in the Midwest.
Don't dis Pennsytucky!
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:39 am
IIRC we just tucked our knees under our chins and rolled downhill. The roundtrip lift ticket was too expensive.

Gatlinburg in 1970 was gaudy and tacky and great fun for a 13-year-old. Politics were divisive then, what with Vietnam and the race riots and all, but they didn't cleave as sharply along party lines and I only really began paying attention to them when Watergate broke a few years later. Democrats and Republicans at least inhabited the same reality, got their news from the same sources and watched the same entertainments. Gatlinburg wasn't hostile territory, anyway.

All I remember of Nashville was what a disappointment the Grand Ole Opry was. My parents thought being there was the bee's knees; I just saw a big empty auditorium.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Maybe consider "red states"? Hell, I like MAGA-Land (as a name!). Someone either in this thread or another, not too long ago, made a comment about deep sixing The South or something like that, and while I was not able to respond at the moment, I was thinking "OK, fine, now what about ALL those other Trump-loving, non-Southern red states?" Whoever made that comment needs to look at a CURRENT political map I think. Might be surprised.

Replying to myself: