Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

pr0ner

Re: Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

Post by pr0ner »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:06 am
malchior wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:22 pm
Because they’re rugged individualists who don’t need no help from the evil gubmint? Or because they personally didn’t need any relief therefore no one does? Or because they figure it’ll pass anyways so this will give them some anti-government cred with the MAGA mouthbreathers?

I’m honestly baffled by that.
You shouldn't be baffled. The money was part of the short term appropriations bill that was just passed.

I bet if it was in a separate bill they would have voted for it. But it wasn't, so of course they voted against it.

Also, Tristan Snell got dragged HARD on my timeline last week for accusing Maggie Haberman of misprision of a felony, so LOL at that guy.
Hodor.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Acting!

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Dixon in relying on others to run ads for her. There are plenty anti abortion ads around here that imply you will be voting for Dixon and they spotlight Whitmer. "Fix the damned roads" will bite Whitmer badly as one assumed it would. Dem ads are out that tie Dixon to DeVos, which is good and bad. It ought energize the vote on both sides. Whitmer is not running ads about her accomplishments that I've seen.

I'm not seen any lawn signs for Whitmer but only a few for Dixon. I see more Trump 2024 than thing else. I'm not nearly as confident as everyone else that my state maintains cabin pressure. I hope I'm just too close to see things clearly. I think we need Mr T as a choice down the line. :character-mrt:
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Diehl signs have sprouted all over my neighborhood and I've seen exactly one Healey sign. Diehl is a trump surrogate. Healey has a 28-point lead, but I worry that her voters won't turn out because she's been a shoo-in for months. I've always known that we live in a conservative town, but seeing so many neighbors declare themselves fascists is depressing.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:08 am Diehl signs have sprouted all over my neighborhood and I've seen exactly one Healey sign. Diehl is a trump surrogate. Healey has a 28-point lead, but I worry that her voters won't turn out because she's been a shoo-in for months. I've always known that we live in a conservative town, but seeing so many neighbors declare themselves fascists is depressing.
I wouldn't be shocked if Diehl outperforms polling for reasons like this, but the odds that he outperforms by 28+ points are essentially zero.
Black Lives Matter.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:24 am I think we need Mr T as a choice down the line. :character-mrt:
Would that honestly be worse? No, don't answer that. I probably don't want to know how much worse that might be.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Kraken wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:08 am Diehl signs have sprouted all over my neighborhood and I've seen exactly one Healey sign. Diehl is a trump surrogate. Healey has a 28-point lead, but I worry that her voters won't turn out because she's been a shoo-in for months. I've always known that we live in a conservative town, but seeing so many neighbors declare themselves fascists is depressing.
Where do you live Kraken? I thought you were in the Boston burbs.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kurth wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:22 pm
Head scratcher…

He’s describing the race for Massachusetts governor, so the idea of his living in the Boston suburbs shouldn’t be challenged by his post.

Perhaps I misread your inquiry, and I should shut my mouth and mind my own bees wax.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Unagi wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:42 pm
Head scratcher…

He’s describing the race for Massachusetts governor, so the idea of his living in the Boston suburbs shouldn’t be challenged by his post.

Perhaps I misread your inquiry, and I should shut my mounts and mind my own bees wax.
I'm assuming that he's confused by the existence of Republican pockets in the Boston area.
Black Lives Matter.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I imagine you will be right about that.

I don’t know enough about Boston suburbs to know what to expect, be shocked about, or give a big sigh to.

I will say that I bet there isn’t a ‘liberal community’ out there right now that isn’t being shocked to see just how many sleeping fascists were living in the shadows of their community, apparently stewing.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I don't think we can make any definitive evaluations of Kraken angst until Daehawk finds some reaction videos.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Unagi wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:42 pm
Head scratcher…

Perhaps I misread your inquiry, and I should shut my mouth and mind my own bees wax.
Yes. Shut your damned mouth and mind your own damned bees wax. :D

Lawbeef hit it: Before I moved out to Portland, OR, I spent ~20 years in Boston, and my wife is from Lexington. Not challenging Kraken at all. I just had assumed for some reason that he lived in the Boston suburbs, which are largely liberal bastions. I know there are more or less conservative towns in the Boston-metro area (more depending on how largely you draw the greater metro area), but I'd be surprised to see huge numbers of Diehl signs in most of them.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

OK, I follow that...
And I too picture Kraken in the suburbs of Boston. I sorta expect Kraken to confirm he's just as shocked as you. /shrug

And... Just need to say - I know El Guapo is too much of a gentleman to correct you, but it was he that hit it, not Lawbeef. :D

Heh, but perhaps I misread what you were referring to about Lawbeef, and I should shut my mouth and mind my own beeswax.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Unagi wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:16 pm OK, I follow that...
And I too picture Kraken in the suburbs of Boston. I sorta expect Kraken to confirm he's just as shocked as you. /shrug

And... Just need to say - I know El Guapo is too much of a gentleman to correct you, but it was he that hit it, not Lawbeef. :D

Heh, but perhaps I misread what you were referring to about Lawbeef, and I should shut my mouth and mind my own beeswax.
:oops:
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Republicans live everywhere. Except for maybe Takoma Park, Maryland.
Hodor.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:46 pm Republicans live everywhere. Except for maybe Takoma Park, Maryland.
I will say that I don't think of the Republican areas of Massachusetts starting until you really hit the exurbs.
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:29 am I wouldn't be shocked if Diehl outperforms polling for reasons like this, but the odds that he outperforms by 28+ points are essentially zero.
I have not seen any campaigning by Healey and hope she isn't going to pull a Coakley. If Diehl weren't so trumpy he'd have a shot.
Braintree, a mostly working class exurb 12 miles south of Boston. It breaks nearly 50/50 R vs. D in most elections. Our seemingly lifelong State House rep is a D, but a very conservative D. Small business owners hate the libs for their pandemic restrictions.

Mass. is very liberal in the big cities (Cambridge, Boston, and their inner burbs) and in the lightly populated Berkshires, which are heavy on the arts and tourism. The suburbs generally lean more conservative the farther out one gets. The middle of the state (beyond Worcester to Springfield and environs, where Kelric lives) is trump country with a few civilized enclaves, such as Amherst. Roughly 61% of us are independent, 30% D, and 9% R.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm going to need this discussion in Fallout 4 terms.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:09 pm
El Guapo wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:29 am I wouldn't be shocked if Diehl outperforms polling for reasons like this, but the odds that he outperforms by 28+ points are essentially zero.
I have not seen any campaigning by Healey and hope she isn't going to pull a Coakley. If Diehl weren't so trumpy he'd have a shot.
I dunno. I think Healey would be favored even against a traditional New England Republican. I know that MA traditionally loves balancing the legislature with an R governor, but this is the GOP seeking its third straight gubernatorial term. That pulls against any GOP nominee. Plus 2010 was a *really* pro-GOP year. Plus you have Dobbs and Trump casting a pall over the GOP. I'd be surprised if Healey wins by less than 20, and I think she'd beat any GOP candidate other than Baker himself by 10+.
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:48 pm
Kraken wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:09 pm
I dunno. I think Healey would be favored even against a traditional New England Republican. I know that MA traditionally loves balancing the legislature with an R governor, but this is the GOP seeking its third straight gubernatorial term. That pulls against any GOP nominee. Plus 2010 was a *really* pro-GOP year. Plus you have Dobbs and Trump casting a pall over the GOP. I'd be surprised if Healey wins by less than 20, and I think she'd beat any GOP candidate other than Baker himself by 10+.
Diehl is overperforming if she only wins by 20 points. I'm not really worried about him at this point.

Jeff Jacoby made a good argument for electing the R candidate for auditor. Amore is well-qualified and has no trump taint, and would be well-positioned as a check on one-party government -- which is what we're going to have. I'm going to consider him, at least.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I guess they just slowly transformed into having full-on Klan rallies now?

Greene: Biden’s 5 million illegal aliens are on the verge of replacing you, your jobs, and your kids in school. Coming from all over the world, they’re also replacing your culture
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

But MAGA culture is objectively terrible and bad. What did MAGA offer to America?

Just in food alone — Mexican immigrants brought burritos and tacos. Italian immigrants brought pizza, lasagna and spaghetti. Chinese immigrants created Chop Suey, Egg rolls and fortune cookies.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Polish culture brought sausages.
Irish culture brought St. Patrick's Day.
German culture brought October Fest.
English culture brought scones and tea.
Japanese culture brought transistors and ninjas.
French culture brought...uh, mimes?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:34 pm Polish culture brought sausages.
MAGA culture brought Putin-loving seditionists and the near destruction of our government. See?! They contributed too!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

As I understand it, MAGA cuisine consists of Big Macs and burnt steaks with ketchup.
Formix

Post by Formix »

Kraken wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:38 pm As I understand it, MAGA cuisine consists of Big Macs and burnt steaks with ketchup.
. . . and the most beautiful chocolate cake.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

5 million illegal aliens are on the verge of replacing you, your job
I thought the biggest threat to the US right now was under employment, causing inflation, supply chain problems, increased interest rates, crashing stock and bond prices, and running us in to a recession.
Last edited by LordMortis on Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Well. You are obviously not a foodie.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:52 am
5 million illegal aliens are on the verge of replacing you, your job
I thought the biggest threat to the US right now was under employment, causing inflation, supply chain problems, increased interests, and crashing stuck and bond prices, and running us in to a recession.
The number, 5 million, is interesting— that’s pretty much the exact number of votes Trump was short in the popular vote against Biden’s total.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Unagi wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:38 am
Should I have said French toast?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
disarm

Post by disarm »

Jaymann wrote:
Toast, fries, bread, onion soup...the list goes on (or not)...
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

disarm wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:46 am
Jaymann wrote:
Toast, fries, bread, onion soup...the list goes on (or not)...
Uh . . . wine? Hello???
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Crepes!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Surrendering!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:28 pmSurrendering!
I cannot stand this sentiment.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:14 pm
Jaymann wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:28 pmSurrendering!
I cannot stand this sentiment.
Yeah, it's a huge misconception but it annoyingly persists.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Good thing for us they didn't surrender during the Revolutionary War.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

disarm wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:46 am Toast, fries, bread, onion soup...the list goes on (or not)...
And of course, we can also consider Boeuf Bourguignon, Coq Au Vin, Confit de Canard, Filet Mignon, untold numbers of cheeses and wines, hell their entire culinary contribution - oh - and the Statue of Liberty, and also help with that whole freedom from Britain thing...

Also, I would be inclined in that list to give Japan a huge shout-out for Sushi.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

We could all learn something about graciousness from the French. I remember when they did it and it was something that really stood out as both humbling and maybe even a bit magnanimous given how we've portrayed/described them. It's been almost a decade and I still think about it from time to time - like today.
Maybe next year, maybe no go