Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Unagi

Re: Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

Post by Unagi »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:58 pm Yeah it's just incomprehensible to me how stupid people in this state are to continuously nominate these crooks and nutjobs. Hopefully the urban areas can resist and fight back. The big cities are literally the only things keeping this state from being the next Alabama.

I have a feeling a lot of my friends and relatives are going to be upset with me this campaign season but I'm not going to sit idly by and let this kind of thing go unnoticed. If you're my friend or my family member, and you still plan to vote Republican because pwning the Libs, then I need you to be perfectly aware of what you are voting for.
:wub:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:58 pm Yeah it's just incomprehensible to me how stupid people in this state are to continuously nominate these crooks and nutjobs. Hopefully the urban areas can resist and fight back. The big cities are literally the only things keeping this state from being the next Alabama.

I have a feeling a lot of my friends and relatives are going to be upset with me this campaign season but I'm not going to sit idly by and let this kind of thing go unnoticed. If you're my friend or my family member, and you still plan to vote Republican because pwning the Libs, then I need you to be perfectly aware of what you are voting for.
I've also become more like this over the last decade. I went from conversation, to shutting up, to walking away, to confrontation. I would still prefer conversation in my ideal world mind but that ship has sailed for nearly a decade now. If you want to hammer me with sophistry and willful ignorance, then I start with the Supreme Court every single time, then I move to "fuck your feelings" and "fuck Joe Biden" people getting shot and killed in personal local disputes and how that's what the suburb I live in now has become. This is what getting what you want has done to my small world and to the nation. Period. End of line. The world I live in. Not some dream of "tax is theft" and dictator for a day Trump with presidential immunity seizing control of the RNC in your incongruent patriotic Constitutional Republic dream world.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

The band members change but the song remains the same:

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

They roll the ACA back much more and we'll have to get prior authorization for leeches.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Grifman wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:58 pm The band members change but the song remains the same:

RSC budget endorses "modest adjustments to the retirement age for future retirees to account for increases in life expectancy."
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/nchs ... 220831.htm
Life expectancy at birth in the United States declined nearly a year from 2020 to 2021, according to new provisional data from the CDC’s National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS). That decline – 77.0 to 76.1 years – took U.S. life expectancy at birth to its lowest level since 1996. The 0.9 year drop in life expectancy in 2021, along with a 1.8 year drop in 2020, was the biggest two-year decline in life expectancy since 1921-1923.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I assume that drop is from the initial Covid outbreak?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:38 am I assume that drop is from the initial Covid outbreak?
And associated responses. People did some crazy shit during Covid. I still don't think some people have learned to drive safely again after bombing about like madmen when the freeways were empty.

Bonus points for deciding that because they didn't like Covid, they weren't going to get vaccinated for anything.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Chemtrails FTW:

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

No harm in outlawing things that don't exist. Now, if they go after contrails, they're into old-man-yelling-at-clouds territory.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So does Tennessee have a fleet of fighter jets on standby to shoot down offenders?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Grifman wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:18 pm Chemtrails FTW:

I'm pretty sure this is an Infowars thing. So yeah 100% bullshit. The problem is the true believer wackos have taken over. No longer are politicians just giving lip service to their nutty base, now they actually are the nutty base.
FTE
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Wait, we are writing laws about Chemtrails !?
Ahh, just Tenn state.

That makes perfect sense, actually.

Stick a fork in it.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

MtG is filing to remove Johnson from his speakership as he works to avoid gov't shutdown. I remember this dance. :pop: Not sure where I stand on this. I really don't like Johnson but he is trying to avoid a national implosion even as he wants to mold this nation into something horrible. I have no use for MtG but we also can't have any monolithic political force. So.. :think:

Edit

Here we go

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congre ... rcna134385

Source in full unless they update it
Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) on Friday introduced a motion to vacate against House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.), threatening a vote to remove him.

Why it matters: Greene isn't yet forcing the vote to remove Johnson as speaker — but the move lays the groundwork for another historic showdown on the House floor.

Johnson's predecessor, Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), became the first House speaker to be ousted after hardline Republicans triggered a motion to vacate against him last year.
Greene's move came after she voiced "extreme opposition" to a $1.2 trillion spending bill the House passed Friday in order to avert a government shutdown.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

I think Democrats need to help save Johnson. Next speaker can be worse or they can take too long to select one to avoid shutdown.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Voting to save him will also ruin him, as accepting help will forever taint Johnson to MAGA Republicans.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Victoria Raverna

Which is why it is a good idea for Democrats to save the speaker. It'll help avoid shutdown and also ruin the speaker's future as a Republican.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:24 pm Which is why it is a good idea for Democrats to save the speaker. It'll help avoid shutdown and also ruin the speaker's future as a Republican.
The spending bill already passed the House, so I don't think saving him or not matters to avoiding this shutdown.

I also suspect that he won't be ousted, but we'll see. But more importantly (in the short term) apparently it's not yet a done deal that the Senate will pass the bill in time to avoid a shutdown.
Black Lives Matter.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:06 pm I think Democrats need to help save Johnson. Next speaker can be worse or they can take too long to select one to avoid shutdown.
You said the same thing about McCarthy. Are you always just going to say the Dems need to help save the Speaker?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:36 pm
Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:06 pm I think Democrats need to help save Johnson. Next speaker can be worse or they can take too long to select one to avoid shutdown.
You said the same thing about McCarthy. Are you always just going to say the Dems need to help save the Speaker?
Johnson is a reprehensible character who makes Kevin McCarthy look good in comparison. I would not miss him, but the next speaker, if Republicans can even seat one, will be even worse. Unless it's Hakeem Jeffries. The Dems are short of the majority now by what, 2-3 seats?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

At this point we're just managing varying levels of crazy in the Republican party. Do you want the MAGA Jewish Space Laser contingent, the Christo-fascists Handmaid's Tale contingent, the sexual predator contingent, etc. etc.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Trump-RNC pact puts Trump legal bills ahead of GOP
Former President Donald Trump has reached an "unorthodox" joint fundraising deal with the Republican National Committee that directs donations to Trump's campaign and his Save America PAC, the political action committee paying his hefty legal bills, before the RNC gets a cut, The Associated Press said Thursday.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

MTG may help get Ukraine funding if the Dems agree to help Johnson in exchange for a vote on Ukraine. Provided she goes through with it. I have a hunch she won't.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kraken wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:30 pm No harm in outlawing things that don't exist. Now, if they go after contrails, they're into old-man-yelling-at-clouds territory.
What happens when they take FAA resources to enforce banning something that doesn't exist? Or implement unmanageable standards for commercial air travel? At the very least, seems like some sort of grift/bribe scheme is possible for them here.
Scraper wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:27 am

I'm pretty sure this is an Infowars thing. So yeah 100% bullshit. The problem is the true believer wackos have taken over. No longer are politicians just giving lip service to their nutty base, now they actually are the nutty base.
It predates Infowars. Goes back into the days of Art Bell's Coast To Coast AM. But definitely far out conspiracy stuff.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Trump’s invite to major donors prioritizes the committee paying his legal bills over the RNC
Trump has invited high-dollar donors to Palm Beach, Florida, for an April 6 fundraiser that comes as his fundraising is well behind President Joe Biden and national Democrats. The invitation’s fine print says donations to the Trump 47 Committee will first be used to give the maximum amount allowed under federal law to Trump’s campaign. Anything left over from the donation next goes toward a maximum contribution to Save America, and then anything left from there goes to the RNC and then to state political parties.
Legal spending made up 85% of Save America’s total operating expenses during the first two months of this year, roughly the same as 2023, when such expenses were about 89%. It has spent $8.5 million on legal fees so far this year.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I’d vote to save Johnson, conditioned on him putting the Senate Ukraine aid bill up to a vote. You’re not going to get anyone better, they keep getting worse. At least get something out of this clown show.
Victoria Raverna

If the MAGAs want to remove someone, most of the time you want to stop them from doing it. :)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:05 am
If the MAGAs want to remove someone, most of the time you want to stop them from doing it. :)
Good point. They are in a race to the bottom.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I don't think this ends until they hit bottom. Honestly.

I'm not sure the planet has the time to let them 'drag it out' - so it may actually be most wise to help them get there.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Unagi wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:12 am I don't think this ends until they hit bottom. Honestly.

I'm not sure the planet has the time to let them 'drag it out' - so it may actually be most wise to help them get there.
I've actually wondered about that...it's a pretty radical take, but I really don't see a realistic alternative. The obvious danger is it could backfire, but we are already in dire straits IMO. Doing what we can to hasten their demise might be healthier in the long run.

Big assumption is that there IS a bottom to race to - infinitely getting worse is a thing I suppose. But again, we are already in grave danger IMO, grave danger often requires risky moves in order to escape.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Yeah, defining bottom is tough here.

Jan6 should have been bottom, but the GOP doubled down on the grifting stupidity and didn't vote to impeach/convict.

They chose Party over Country, and have only gotten worse since.

I don't know if there is a road back.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Pyperkub wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:38 am Yeah, defining bottom is tough here.

Jan6 should have been bottom, but the GOP doubled down on the grifting stupidity and didn't vote to impeach/convict.

They chose Party over Country, and have only gotten worse since.

I don't know if there is a road back.
Yep, not only was there no fallout, except for a few rioters. Politically, it's like it never happened. The denial is total but the underlying symptoms behind the criminal and treasonous actions have only gotten stronger. It's no small reasoning in my refusal to vote GOP, though even if it weren't the Supreme Court shennaningans would have democrats covered, short of them competing to boil the nation (and cutting edge toward boiling the world).
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kraken wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:02 am
Victoria Raverna wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:05 am
Good point. They are in a race to the bottom.
Don't we want them to hit bottom?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Alefroth wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:54 pm Don't we want them to hit bottom?
This is just more of "the dems need to do everyone's job because the Reps won't do theirs, and if the dems don't, they're the problem because they aren't doing what's best for the country" crap.

Reps will hit bottom whether the Dems act or not. It's just a question of whether the Reps take the Dems with them.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

GreenGoo wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:01 pm
This is just more of "the dems need to do everyone's job because the Reps won't do theirs, and if the dems don't, they're the problem because they aren't doing what's best for the country" crap.

Reps will hit bottom whether the Dems act or not. It's just a question of whether the Reps take the Dems with them.
The question is should we hasten that considering we might not have all the time in the world to just let things play out naturally.

I'm not even convinced we CAN hasten it TBH. Not enough to matter at least.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:07 pm

The question is should we hasten that considering we might not have all the time in the world to just let things play out naturally.

I'm not even convinced we CAN hasten it TBH. Not enough to matter at least.
Dems do sometimes play with that fire. During the Senate primary in Ohio, Dems backed the same guy that trump backed because they think he's the least viable opponent. He won, btw, so in November we'll see how that worked out for them. OH's is a must-win seat for Dems, since they're surely going to lose WV.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Bingo.
GreenGoo wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:01 pmReps will hit bottom whether the Dems act or not. It's just a question of whether the Reps take the Dems with them.
And how quickly it happens.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Reports say that LIsa Murkowski is done with trump and contemplating leaving the R Party. One of the few remaining old-line conservatives, she needed McConnell's leadership to cover her opposition to trump, and that shield is gone now that McC is relinquishing his gavel.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I wonder who she'd caucus with.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Honestly I thought she already had become an independent during a prior election. Didn't people need to write her in after she lost a primary or something?

Anyway, potentially good news, though of course talk is cheap.
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Alefroth wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:19 pm I wonder who she'd caucus with.
I suspect that she'd be Joe Manchin II. In a tossup Senate the swing member has the power.