Cyberpunk 2077 from the makers of The Witcher

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Max Peck

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 from the makers of The Witcher

Post by Max Peck »

IIRC, the loading screens only change as you advance through the story line. You'll see the same one every time until you hit whichever story beat that triggers the next one.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Thinking about it, I'm actually moving this to the general thread.

I just hit the same point that I've always ended up walking away from this before - shortly after the prologue. I think I know why this time: Overload. Information overload and choice overload, giving birth to decision paralysis. You finish the prologue, and you're completely bombarded. Quests, sidequests, contacts (I can't drive five feet without someone calling me - I got a call to drive 1.2 kilometers, and got called four or five times before I arrived, each with offers for me to keep straight), the map is suddenly packed solid with icons, and any number of other things I'm losing track of. I want to play, I just don't want to spend an afternoon doing research to figure out what to actually do. And when I am in the mood to game, I'm overwhelmed with the urge to go play something else - something that I can actually sit down and play.

And, to be honest, I think I had the same problem with The Witcher 3, which is probably why I never finished it.
Last edited by Blackhawk on Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I know the overwhelmed feeling and as a completionist I kind of just embrace it, but there isn't really a need to research anything about those notifications you are getting. I basically just go from the easiest to hardest and sprinkle in a story mission every once in awhile and take care of any of the seemingly random events (don't remember what they are called, but helping the cops out by taking calls for them) that pop up along the way, which generally involve killing everyone and finding some specific evidence in the immediate area and then continue on my way.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:03 pm I just hit the same point that I've always ended up walking away from this before - shortly after the prologue. I think I know why this time: Overload. Information overload and choice overload, giving birth to decision paralysis. You finish the prologue, and you're completely bombarded. Quests, sidequests, contacts (I can't drive five feet without someone calling me - I got a call to drive 1.2 kilometers, and got called four or five times before I arrived, each with offers for me to keep straight), the map is suddenly packed solid with icons, and any number of other things I'm losing track of. I want to play, I just don't want to spend an afternoon doing research to figure out what to actually do. And when I am in the mood to game, I'm overwhelmed with the urge to go play something else - something that I can actually sit down and play.

And, to be honest, I think I had the same problem with The Witcher 3, which is probably why I never finished it.
I've run into this issue on some games in the past and my way of dealing with it was to just stick with the task I first started with, then after that is done go do whatever new task it sends me to. If it doesn't send me to a new task, then I pick out whatever job is nearest to my current location and do that. And so on, just go to the nearest task, until I get a feel for what would be the more interesting things to do.

The rule is (for me), it is better to do anything, even the wrong thing, then to do nothing at all. I also hate the idea of researching a game on the web. I'd rather just poke around and if I don't get to some tasks early on, I'll get back to them later.

My problem with The Witcher 3 is that I can't seem to get past the first few minutes because it's too slow. And fantasy isn't really my forte.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I've been trying to hold off getting this until the winter but you guys are making it difficult.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Madmarcus wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:56 pm I've been trying to hold off getting this until the winter but you guys are making it difficult.
I'd have to say I really enjoyed it. It's one of the few games where I played the campaign all the way through to completion. I like open world games but I have a desire in those games to keep being entertained with different gameplay and cyberpunk really did this.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I had hoped that AC:Odyssey would be the open world game to play but I am finding it too on rails with the fact that level difference is such a factor in combat.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:10 pm
Madmarcus wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:56 pm I've been trying to hold off getting this until the winter but you guys are making it difficult.
I'd have to say I really enjoyed it. It's one of the few games where I played the campaign all the way through to completion. I like open world games but I have a desire in those games to keep being entertained with different gameplay and cyberpunk really did this.
One of my favourite games of late. I was late to it so didn't hit the early adopter issues so found it extremely well-polished, almost bug-free, and thoroughly compelling. Really enjoyed the skill tree, too.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm well into my first playthrough and I'm regretting amping up my cyberdeck. Specifically Short Circuit. I can empty out a mission area before even stepping foot in it through that and remote cameras. I guess I could just NOT use Short Circuit, but dang it...it's fun to be god for a while.
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I won this here but could never get it to run right , at all, or good. that was on a 770 or so card .maybe it will run on a 970.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Anyone enjoying the Cyberpunk anime on netflix as much as I am? It brought me back to the game after two years. The anime breathed life into the world and lore so I am giving it another shot.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Yup, I binged through the 10 episodes over a couple of days. It has me itching to make time for another playthrough.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I quite liked this on PC, but the horrendous and constant bugs made me quit about halfway through.

Just downloaded the 5-hour trial for PS5, and may pick it back up if it clicks again (it's on sale for $25).
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I just picked it up on PS5 for the same reason Skinypupy. Bought it when it came out for PC and the freaking thing would never run right, even after a bunch of patches. Not sure if it was the game, my aging rig, or a combo of both.

Having a great time with it, and $25 was finally low enough to not make me regret a double dip.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

It was great on PC a number of months ago. Don't let the early launch issues stop you from making this a PC purchase today (if PC is your preference).
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Jolor wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:30 pm It was great on PC a number of months ago. Don't let the early launch issues stop you from making this a PC purchase today (if PC is your preference).
It was great on PC at launch if you had a decent rig. I finished it for the first time within the first month with no significant bugs.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Scoop20906 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:18 pm Anyone enjoying the Cyberpunk anime on netflix as much as I am? It brought me back to the game after two years. The anime breathed life into the world and lore so I am giving it another shot.
Not yet, but I'm going to. Although I really wish it wasn't anime. Not all non-comedy adult animation needs to be anime - there are other visual styles out there.

FWIW, I like anime. I just don't think every established IP with an established aesthetic needs to be re-imagined in that one, singular style.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I picked it up at $25 and haven't regretted it so far.

Love the style and most of the gameplay so far but a couple of things bug me. First off I keep expecting to be able to drive like in Sleeping Dogs (the last open world game with significant driving that I played) but the first person driving mode is horrible. Second, all of the in world icons (for loot mostly but also for who is talking when someone starts interacting with you on the street) are easy to miss in the visual clutter.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I'm being dense.

I'm roaming around in Act 1. Lots of NCPD and a few other people have the yellow icon on them that looks like they should have something to say but no matter what I can't seem to interact with them. In a couple of cases I'm been dancing around the cops trying to find a way to talk to them only to have them turn aggressive on me. What gives?
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Madmarcus wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:11 pm I'm being dense.

I'm roaming around in Act 1. Lots of NCPD and a few other people have the yellow icon on them that looks like they should have something to say but no matter what I can't seem to interact with them. In a couple of cases I'm been dancing around the cops trying to find a way to talk to them only to have them turn aggressive on me. What gives?
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1091500/ ... 327827452/
It's a type/class/role indicator. When you scan an enemy, they will also have a specific title that is related to their role too. Shotgun shells means they have a shotgun and will come after you, crosshairs are snipers, fists are blunt weapons, etc.

A skull means the enemy is much higher level than you and cannot be grappled and will most likely kill you in one or two shots, also. Orange type indicators means they are a bit above your level (but can be grappled for a short amount of time) and yellow means they're at or below your level.
Edit: I haven't played the game. But the post seemed to be asking the same questions. Apologies if the answer is wrong. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

The part you copied didn't help much but the rest of it did. What looks to me like little lines like a mini-text bubble seems to be bullets. These are combatants as opposed to random background city dwellers.

Thanks. That means I still don't know how to initiate the NCPD stuff but that is a different issue.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Following up myself - figured out that the NCPD stuff just automatically gets dealt with when you pick up the objective/deal with it.

So far I'm loving it even if I haven't even made it too far into Act 1. I loved Sleeping Dogs and I get a very similar vibe but there is more variety of things to do in combat. Money feels a little tight but then again I'm barely out of the prologue and simply wandering around running into gigs and police missions.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

After watching some of the anime on Netflix I decided to jump back in for my third playthrough as a street kid. Really enjoyed how different my Nomad and Corpo characters were so I'm looking forward to finally trying out a street gang character. Also there's a big update which adds some jobs and items based on the anime so that'll be exciting.

Playing this on the PS5 and it's definitely worth a purchase now that it's patched up for consoles.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

40 hours, 13 levels, 19 street cred, finally out of Tom's diner and free to roam around (yes, I know I could have roamed around prior to going to Tom's but I wanted to be able to go rent a different house).

Even on normal I flatline fairly easily if I get cocky and don't pull back to heal up in cover every once in a while. I went a shotgun/tech build even though I know most of the iconic weapons will simply gather dust in my storage.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m around 55 hours. But I’m further along because I pursued the main storyline more than I should have without doing side jobs and other stuff. I’m rectifying that now.

However, I did bump it up to hard as quickhacks are making fights too easy. I can eliminate an entire warehouse full of enemies with cyberpsychosis, system reset and remote camera control. I do get one shot killed in gun battles, but I wanted a “wizard” build so I’m not built for firefights.
Covfefe!
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

"Wizard" netrunner is for my second time through the game.

I need to really work on spending some of my perk points. I think I have 8 or so saved up. Most of the ones dealing with damage don't seem that impressive though.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Cyberpunk 2077 is getting a full sequel
CD Projekt has announced that alongside the upcoming expansion, Cyberpunk 2077 will also be getting a full sequel.

"Orion is a codename for our next Cyberpunk game, which will take the Cyberpunk franchise further and continue harnessing the potential of this dark future universe," the studio tweeted.

There are no details at this point except that it's happening, but multiplayer may be a factor: CD Projekt also said that its future plans include "introducing multiplayer to most of our new games to enrich the singleplayer experience."

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'll buy it eventually, but likely pass on the preorder/day one purchase. Has the lesson finally been learned? We shall see.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:19 am I'll buy it eventually, but likely pass on the preorder/day one purchase. Has the lesson finally been learned? We shall see.
I'll pick it up day 1. I had a blast with this one at release.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

gbasden wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:36 pm
coopasonic wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:19 am I'll buy it eventually, but likely pass on the preorder/day one purchase. Has the lesson finally been learned? We shall see.
I'll pick it up day 1. I had a blast with this one at release.
I'll pick it up for sure, but not until I've read some reviews on how it plays on my specific console (XBOX Series X). I bought Cyberpunk 2077 when it launched, and it ended up being one of my favorite games, but that was well over a year and many updates later. Let's see if they can put a game that's actually finished this time! :)
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I'm having a blast with Cyberpunk 2077 now but I doubt I'll have a system that can run the sequel when it comes out. So it will be a wait and see for me. Still, the state of CP 2077 now pushes this up to almost as highly anticipated as the next Bethesda game.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

I should have loved this game, but for the past decade I have been burning out on gaming, one genre at a time. It seems the only games I'm looking forward to anymore are KSP 2 and another XCOM sequel, provided it is like XCOM: WOTC and not the last game they released.

I REALLLLY wish I had never bought this game (or the Witcher 3, which also couldn't hold my attention more than a few days), but I don't think that there's anything wrong with the game itself, it's just me. :?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I need to install a alt game to play in my rest time from Days Gone as I finish it up. I have this Cyberpunk and The Outer Worlds on my list to choose from but cant make up my mind.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Things like this make me want to free up some time to do another run through the game.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

They actually make it look boring and easy.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

That's the joke...

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Cyberpunk: Edgerunners helped push CD Projekt to 'the best third quarter in our entire history'
Cyberpunk 2077 was an infamous disaster for CD Projekt, except that it really wasn't. It was a huge sales hit straight out of the gate, moving 13.7 million copies in 2020 (and remember, that covers just small chunk of the year—Cyberpunk 2077 was only released in December 2020), and despite its well-publicized troubles it continued to sell, surpassing 20 million copies sold in September 2022. And in its most recent financial report, CD Projekt revealed that the success of the Edgerunners anime helped drive sales even further, and pushed the studio to a new quarterly financial record.

"In terms of financials, this was the best third quarter in our entire history, with consolidated revenues at zł246 million ($54.3 million), mostly owing to strong sales of Cyberpunk," CD Projekt chief financial officer Piort Nielubowicz said. "The group posted zł99 million ($21.8 million) in net profit."

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I picked this up recently - just did the Corpo background intro. I assume that each of the three backgrounds leads to the essentially the same story point?

Anyway, looking forward to playing through this.
Black Lives Matter.