Whatcha drinking?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Unagi

Re: Whatcha drinking?

Post by Unagi »

Kraken wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:40 pm For the past year or more, my emergency backup beer has been Long Trail Vermont IPA. I recently switched to Otter Creek Bonus Stage, because it's a little more Vermonty. Plus, Space Invaders.

Otter Creek really stepped up their game after Long Trail bought them some years ago.
I believe that’s more of a nod to Galaga.

Get it straight ya poser. :wink:
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Hazecraft IPA by Great Lakes Brewing Co., Cleveland, OH. Another decent beer from Great Lakes, very tropical fruity. 6.7% ABV is ok.
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I was excited to see a new Mountain Dew on the shelf, Major Melon. We only have three flavours in Canada currently: classic, Voltage, and Baja Blast. (Not counting three flavours of Kickstart and I presume diet, though I never see it anywhere.)

So... yeah, it's melon flavour. With the familiar MD citric acidity. Melon's not my favourite soda flavour, but it's less common so it's interesting enough. I'd really rather get to try Maui Burst or Sweet Lightning though.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Enough

Post by Enough »

I am more of a rum guy overall, but oh man am I loving this Redbreast 12 YR Cask Strength Irish Whiskey I picked up to celebrate my first vaccination shot, what a dram! I may be just naturally drawn to the single pot still whiskey style, this is yummy stuff. It has wonderful oily coating on the tongue,lots of complexity, bits of fruits, with even a few Scotch notes in there, with a pretty long tasty finish. Imo, this is a fine example of what any whiskey can be and while it's not cheap, at least it's not like some of the crazy expensive whiskies out there.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

What is a "scotch note"?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:37 pm What is a "scotch note"?
Fair enough considering the range hah, I was specifically thinking of Speyside style Scotch whiskey, maybe Glenlivetish.

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You're going to have to be more specific, as I was privy to a bevy of whisk(e)y tastings, and only got the burn.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:37 pm What is a "scotch note"?
He can play you one.

Enlarge Image
Black Lives Matter
Enough

Post by Enough »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:53 pm You're going to have to be more specific, as I was privy to a bevy of whisk(e)y tastings, and only got the burn.
I'm no expert by any means, I just know I really like it hah. Less burn than other similar proof spirits I've had, but if you drink it with a big ice cube or a few drops of ice it cuts it.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Enough wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:02 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:53 pm You're going to have to be more specific, as I was privy to a bevy of whisk(e)y tastings, and only got the burn.
I'm no expert by any means, I just know I really like it hah. Less burn than other similar proof spirits I've had, but if you drink it with a big ice cube or a few drops of ice it cuts it.
I'm going to guess that the quality you're describing is peat. That's unique to Scotch.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Peat is fairly uncommon in speyside whisky (though not unheard of). I don’t find Irish whiskey very different from Scotch. Both lack the sweetness that I find in most bourbons.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

On my last beer run, I was so thrilled to see Manhattan Project Beer available that I didn't read the labels closely enough and picked up Plutonium-239, their coconut porter.

As one that is not a fan of coconut in any form I've ever come across, I was glad to find that I couldn't taste the tiniest string of coconut flavor.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Hazy-O by Dogfishead Brewery, Rehoboth Beach, DE. It's been awhile since I tried a new Dogfishhead beer. The owner is someone I admire deeply...he invests a lot into beer archeology, but his replicants of beers brewed many thousands of years ago have been rather hit or miss. This time thougjh, they aren't going overboard...Hazy-O is brewed with oats and oatmilk. It has a very nice flavor, easy to drink, and not particularly flavor-forward in any sense. Probably I would say it has a slight citrus vibe. 7.1% ABV isn't bad, I bought a six for $11 at a Piggly Wiggly (might be the first time I ever bought beer from there!).
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I've been rotating through the same dozen or so IPAs for the past several months. They're all local so the details won't interest you. During the summer I favor lower-alcohol brews. I'm sticking with this stable partly because there hasn't been a beer tasting in a year and a half, but mostly because they are all delicious. My favorite beer bar now fills growlers, so there's that, too. I last filled up with Doobious from Bad Sons in CT, which makes it an import.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Circumstances are forcing me to be price-conscious, so not much variety. One supermarket has been regularly selling 15-packs of Goose Island IPA for $10 (must buy 2). That's only about 6%, I'll get 15-pack of Founder's Centennial IPA (7%) for $15 when the Goose Island isn't on sale. Oddly, some of the beers that have previously been dirt cheap over the summer (such as the Kona mixed 12 packs) aren't cheap this year.

The Dogfishhead I only got because my wife dispatched me to the grocery store to get some cake while at Illinois Beach State Park on Monday. Beer is technically not allowed on that beach, but fuck it, nobody was policing.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Lagunitas Maximus Colossal IPA, Lagunitas Brewing, Chicago, IL. I previously had this in bomber form, now it's a better deal in pounder+ cans -- 19.2 oz selling at 2/$5. 9% ABV could be a little more colossal, as it is, it's merely bigger than average. This is a nicely bitter IPA, if you're looking for hazy or fruity, look elsewhere. It's increasingly hard to find such beer, and the local supermarket does have trouble keeping it in stock.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Kraken wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:02 am I've been rotating through the same dozen or so IPAs for the past several months. They're all local so the details won't interest you. During the summer I favor lower-alcohol brews. I'm sticking with this stable partly because there hasn't been a beer tasting in a year and a half, but mostly because they are all delicious. My favorite beer bar now fills growlers, so there's that, too. I last filled up with Doobious from Bad Sons in CT, which makes it an import.
I haven't really had much new recently. One thing I did buy was what I thought was a regular IPA from Dust Bowl Brewery, but it turned out to be their session IPA, which is probably one of the worst beers I have had in a long time. Dust Bowl does make some great beer, so I am not ure what happened with this one.

Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Whenever a brewer specifically nerfs a beer, it's not good. "Session" is codename for beaver piss. I had to educate a friend who once brought a 15-pack of Founder's "All Day IPA"...a really dreadful beer, considering he could have got their very good Centennial IPA in a 15 pack for the same price. Now he's afraid to buy anything I haven't bought first.
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I used to really like sessionable beers, ones that had a lot of flavor and balance, but you could still drink several of and not be smashed. A lot of British pale ales met the criteria. But then as is typical, American brewers and marketing got a hold of it and it became a 'style' and was ruined.

The existence of imperial session beer shows how stupid it got.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Alefroth wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:51 pm I used to really like sessionable beers, ones that had a lot of flavor and balance, but you could still drink several of and not be smashed. A lot of British pale ales met the criteria. But then as is typical, American brewers and marketing got a hold of it and it became a 'style' and was ruined.
I remember when Amstel Light tried to make a campaign of light beers being flavorful. Except there's aren't, and aside from Guinness (which is NOT a summer beer for me), every single light beer (or session or whatever synonym you prefer) IMO is worthless from a flavor standpoint. And I drink beer for flavor, not to get fucked up. It seems the higher the ABV, the more care is put into crafting it (and high alcohol is a tricky thing) and the more flavor results. Double digit ABV isn't required for a tasty beer, but it does increase the likelihood that the beer will be tasty.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Lawson's Sip of Sunshine (8%) is available as Lawson's Little Sip (6.2%) without a noticeable sacrifice. Toppling Goliath's King Sue (7.8) tastes just fine as Pseudo Sue (5.8). 6% seems to be the magic ABV -- if you go much below that, you're going to lose flavor and/or body, but there are some very fine IPAs in the 6% zone.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The Toppling Goliath beers have a very objectionable flavor profile so I can't adequately judge one against the other. Going down to 6. something still can be a good beer, but light/session/whatever beers at 4.something or less are usually just dreadful. I'd love to find one that isn't...it would be nice to be able to pound a 12 pack without the wife getting on my case.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Cambridge brewer Lamplighter makes a good DIPA called Rabbit Rabbit at 8.5 and an excellent cut-down version called Bunnies at 6.2. I actually prefer Bunnies. Rabbit is too heavy and boozy for my taste.

In the past I've transitioned to sub-5.0 beers during the summer, but it takes a week or two for one's palate to adjust. If you drink that exclusively, it eventually becomes normal and satisfying. I didn't do that this year, which is the main reason I'm losing the weight loss thread.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:46 pm Hazy-O is brewed with oats and oatmilk. It has a very nice flavor, easy to drink, and not particularly flavor-forward in any sense.
And now you can get Hazy-O flavored vegan ice cream.

https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/d ... -ice-cream
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Alefroth wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:16 am
Jeff V wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:46 pm Hazy-O is brewed with oats and oatmilk. It has a very nice flavor, easy to drink, and not particularly flavor-forward in any sense.
And now you can get Hazy-O flavored vegan ice cream.

https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/d ... -ice-cream
I bet that's great sprinkled with Baco-bits.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Coconut IPA by Tangled Roots Brewery, Ottawa, IL. I actually could not find this beer on their website, they have a lot of undefined placeholder beers listed though so likely it is one of them (and how lazy is that?). Had it at a pizza place while waiting for the pizza, very coconutty, a little more so than a similar beer by Two Brothers. One was about all I could take of it (they gave me a sample first, so I wasn't sucking up an ill-advised purchase). Switched to Lagunitas Lil Sumpin' Sumpin' when I finished before the pizzas were done.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

This is the first time I have had this beer. I would recommend it as a strait forward, less citrusy IPA. Drake's flagship beer is their double IPA called Denogginizer, it is also very good.

Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Spearhead (Kingston, ON) - Hawaiian Style Pale Ale

Enlarge Image

It's been so long since I've had an ale.... I'm a sucker for pineapple and flavoured ales in general, but the added juice is very subdued here. This is not a raddler. In fact, it's so in the background that I'm left with a fairly ordinary pale ale. But it's nice enough in that regard, even though I don't relish the piney notes.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Bubble Stash IPA by Hop Valley Brewing Co., Eugene, OR. A Cyro-Mosaic hop blend gives this beer a rather creamy flavor, in that it lacks the bite I usually appreciate in an IPA. It almost tries to be fruity by mirroring no fruit known to man. 6.2% ABV means there's no reason to ever drink this again, alas, I got a mix-12 pack yesterday so I'll have to get through a couple of more. And that's fine, it's not undrinkable, just unremarkable.
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Jeff V wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:02 pm Bubble Stash IPA by Hop Valley Brewing Co., Eugene, OR. A Cyro-Mosaic hop blend gives this beer a rather creamy flavor, in that it lacks the bite I usually appreciate in an IPA. It almost tries to be fruity by mirroring no fruit known to man. 6.2% ABV means there's no reason to ever drink this again, alas, I got a mix-12 pack yesterday so I'll have to get through a couple of more. And that's fine, it's not undrinkable, just unremarkable.
Someone gifted me one of those 12 packs a couple of years ago, and I think the Bubble Stash was the best.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

From the Canadian Great Lakes Brewery (GLB) comes this American IPA. IBU of 88 with barley, oats, and wheat. Very tasty and invigorating on a heat wave kind of day. With a 6.2% abv, more than one is more nap-inducing than invigorating.

Enlarge Image
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Sudy wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:27 pm Spearhead (Kingston, ON) - Hawaiian Style Pale Ale

Enlarge Image

It's been so long since I've had an ale.... I'm a sucker for pineapple and flavoured ales in general, but the added juice is very subdued here. This is not a raddler. In fact, it's so in the background that I'm left with a fairly ordinary pale ale. But it's nice enough in that regard, even though I don't relish the piney notes.
A really good pint. Will need to add it back to the rotation, as long is it's in stock at the local LCBO.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I'm surprised Jeff hasn't cracked wise about a strong beer being 6%
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:07 pm I'm surprised Jeff hasn't cracked wise about a strong beer being 6%
Did someone suggest such a thing? I had 5 beers at Flight tonight ranging from 8-10% and nothing was particularly potent. All but one was delicious (the one that wasn't tasted like a tire fire).
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

The beer above my comment.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Stash Panda Hazy IPA by Hop Vallety Brewing Co., Eugene, OR. This might be my favorite one in the mix pack -- it's a bit grapefruity but also nicely bitter. 6.5% ABV is average for it's ilk.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Greylock Imperial NEIPA by Greater Good Brewing in Worcester, MA. I only bought it because we’re staying in the shadow of Mt. Greylock this week. “Quadruple dry hopped for a smooth citrusy finish. Greylock is the highest peak in MA, and biggest IPA!” It’s big, alright, and too boozy for me. At 12% ABV this blows me away.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:17 pm Greylock Imperial NEIPA by Greater Good Brewing in Worcester, MA. I only bought it because we’re staying in the shadow of Mt. Greylock this week. “Quadruple dry hopped for a smooth citrusy finish. Greylock is the highest peak in MA, and biggest IPA!” It’s big, alright, and too boozy for me. At 12% ABV this blows me away.
Sounds like it could be a good session beer. But quadruple dry hopped? Most of the DDH beers Ive had I've considered to be dirt beers because that's the flavor profile. How does QDH work out?
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:35 pm
Kraken wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:17 pm Greylock Imperial NEIPA by Greater Good Brewing in Worcester, MA. I only bought it because we’re staying in the shadow of Mt. Greylock this week. “Quadruple dry hopped for a smooth citrusy finish. Greylock is the highest peak in MA, and biggest IPA!” It’s big, alright, and too boozy for me. At 12% ABV this blows me away.
Sounds like it could be a good session beer. But quadruple dry hopped? Most of the DDH beers Ive had I've considered to be dirt beers because that's the flavor profile. How does QDH work out?
It tastes like vodka and grapefruit juice. Will not buy again.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yuengling is now available in Texas. I stopped drinking 5 years ago. I am kind of going back and forth on starting again just to support Yuengling.... of course the Black & Tan isn't here yet I think, so maybe I will wait.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter