Whatcha drinking?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

telcta

Re: Whatcha drinking?

Post by telcta »

YellowKing wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:28 pm
telcta wrote:Any classic Old Fashion drinkers? I started to order them when I’m out trying different kinds and I’m making some at home. They really differ and I’m not sure exactly what would constitute a perfect Old Fashion at this point.
I did get a nice little set of bitters for Christmas that I've been experimenting with, so that's been fun. I'm also a fan of the Four Roses small batch for doing the job without breaking the bank.
I'm liking the Four Roses small batch... pretty good on its own too when I'm settled in for the evening.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:16 pm Anyone ever try Neige Apple Ice Wine from Canada? I hear its amazing. Also 13% APV

Haven't had that particular one, but I've had locally made maple apple wine. Thing to note about ice wine is that it's classed as a dessert wine. It's generally very sweet.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I'm a.memebr at a club that is BYOB but they have about 20 different bitters and 10 different kinds of cherries available for old fashioneds. To say I have a bit of experimentation to do is an understatement.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Rumpy wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:57 pm
Daehawk wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:16 pm Anyone ever try Neige Apple Ice Wine from Canada? I hear its amazing. Also 13% APV

Haven't had that particular one, but I've had locally made maple apple wine. Thing to note about ice wine is that it's classed as a dessert wine. It's generally very sweet.
We got an ice wine from a friend. It was like drinking corn syrup laced with sugar. The only thing I think it would be good for is flavoring coffee or putting on ice cream.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:24 am
Rumpy wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:57 pm

We got an ice wine from a friend. It was like drinking corn syrup laced with sugar. The only thing I think it would be good for is flavoring coffee or putting on ice cream.
Yeah, I'm not surprised. We had tried one once because someone in our family had gotten one for Christmas one year and we were actually taken aback by how sweet it was. It's a very concentrated sweetness. I think it's down to the process used to produce it, and from what I've heard, like the Champagne region in France, only wines produced from the Niagara region are allowed to call themselves ice wines. I've learned that because the producers of the Maple Apple wine were trying to get classified as an ice wine but was told they couldn't because they weren't from the Niagara region, even though they're technically the same thing in terms of product.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I haven't had ice wines, but we have a vineyard near us called the Duplin Winery that makes sweet wines. I can't freaking stand them, it's like drinking Kool-Aid, with the same slimy aftertaste. This place has wines so sweet they actually have a blueberry cotton candy flavored one. I just find them disgusting.

Not surprisingly, people who don't normally drink wine like my parents, absolutely love it. That's because it doesn't taste like wine, it tastes like fruit punch.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Last year my bourbon-loving neighbor brought out some HOWLER HEAD and told me I had to try it. I turned my nose up initially, as it was banana-flavored bourbon, which sounded disgusting. But I've never in my life turned down a free drink, so I tried a bit and have been searching for it ever since. Finally got my hands on a bottle tonight (note - it shouldn't be terribly hard to find nationwide, I've just been unlucky and missed it every time I've hit the liquor store).

I'll preface this by saying I do NOT enjoy artificial banana flavoring. I do like actual bananas on occasion, but I wouldn't say I was a massive fan or anything. But this stuff is great. Super smooth, and they use actual bananas - no fake flavors here. I find it far closer to a banana bread taste than something like a banana Laffy Taffy, but YMMV. Plus the price is nice at $27, so it won't break the bank to give it a try.

If you're not too snobby to try a flavored bourbon, I recommend it. I'm usually not one for the gimmick flavors either, but this one is really nicely balanced.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

There was a time that every winery made a sweet Reisling of some sort. It was the intro wine for the newcomers. Now if you find a reisling it is probably labeled as “dry”. But it is still sweet as all get out.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

YellowKing wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:01 pm Last year my bourbon-loving neighbor brought out some HOWLER HEAD and told me I had to try it. I turned my nose up initially, as it was banana-flavored bourbon, which sounded disgusting. But I've never in my life turned down a free drink, so I tried a bit and have been searching for it ever since. Finally got my hands on a bottle tonight (note - it shouldn't be terribly hard to find nationwide, I've just been unlucky and missed it every time I've hit the liquor store).

I'll preface this by saying I do NOT enjoy artificial banana flavoring. I do like actual bananas on occasion, but I wouldn't say I was a massive fan or anything. But this stuff is great. Super smooth, and they use actual bananas - no fake flavors here. I find it far closer to a banana bread taste than something like a banana Laffy Taffy, but YMMV. Plus the price is nice at $27, so it won't break the bank to give it a try.

If you're not too snobby to try a flavored bourbon, I recommend it. I'm usually not one for the gimmick flavors either, but this one is really nicely balanced.
Looks like I can get it from the store down the street.. Gonna have to try it now.
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im not sure what to make of this. It smells like tomato juice and taste like Alka-Seltzer. Its cloudy like off rust color. But seriously it smells like tomato juice and taste like Im drinking a fizz fizz Alka-Seltzer . I dont think I cant drink it.....yet I keep drinking it. WTF. Witchery.

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enjoy this convent and tasty mixture of beer, tomato, salt and lime.

Sic
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Are nuns responsible for this disgusting stuff Im still drinking?

I feel like I should mix it with something. Maybe Everclear.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Not unless they're Mexican.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I still need to get some of this locally. Does that version have clam juice in it? Really need to make sure it has that clam juice.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I feel that as a public service, all posts by Daehawk concerning food or drink should be accompanied by a warning that people shouldn’t try anything he mentions without adult supervision.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:29 pm I still need to get some of this locally. Does that version have clam juice in it? Really need to make sure it has that clam juice.
Nope.

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/bud- ... an/1729918

Edit.

Bamm!!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Clam juice? You dont know where that girls been man.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

July 31st, 2022. The day comedy suffered a devastating blow. It would take almost 2 years for it to fully recover.
Covfefe!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

This is 14% of the reason 99.85% of this board's members are male.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This is my ManForum.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

So go ahead and talk about men. No one's stopping you.
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:25 pm

Sic
Barf.

Years ago, I was working in a payroll department and a woman in Nebraska tried to convince me that tomato juice and beer mixed together was something less than the abomination it seems to be. I guess it's a common thing in the fly-over states of Nebraska and Kansas.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Sic
Barf.

Years ago, I was working in a payroll department and a woman in Nebraska tried to convince me that tomato juice and beer mixed together was something less than the abomination it seems to be. I guess it's a common thing in the fly-over states of Nebraska and Kansas.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Sic
Barf.

Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Geeez man way to get your point across :P
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jeff has to be dehydrated after throwing up that many times. Someone get him a chelada.

The chelada and the michelada are Mexican inventions, by the way.
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I'll still pass on that. Why the fuck would you pollute your beer with something like tomato juice? And if said beer is improved by it, then it's not drinkable beer in the first place.
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Tomato wine's a real thing in Hell.

Edit: Actually I looked it up and it's a very real thing here as well.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If it ferments, you can make it into wine.

My wife went, " I ... don't ... want .... a watered down ketchup."
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I love micheladas made with a regional American lager. I even go a step further and make it with ice. So refreshing.

Umm... yeah. Kansas and Nebraska are not where those are popular.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jeff V wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:37 pm I'll still pass on that. Why the fuck would you pollute your beer with something like tomato juice? And if said beer is improved by it, then it's not drinkable beer in the first place.
My uncle told me they used to do it in Vietnam. The beer was both terrible and warm, so they'd add tomato juice and that somehow made it more, instead of less, drinkable. He continued to occasionally do it back home.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:40 am
Jeff V wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:37 pm I'll still pass on that. Why the fuck would you pollute your beer with something like tomato juice? And if said beer is improved by it, then it's not drinkable beer in the first place.
My uncle told me they used to do it in Vietnam. The beer was both terrible and warm, so they'd add tomato juice and that somehow made it more, instead of less, drinkable. He continued to occasionally do it back home.
But I'm talking normal conditions. Hell, when I was a kid, we used to mix beer with the malted ice cream cups they sold at Wrigley just because the beer was damn close to boiling mid-game.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:43 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:40 am
But I'm talking normal conditions. Hell, when I was a kid, we used to mix beer with the malted ice cream cups they sold at Wrigley just because the beer was damn close to boiling mid-game.
So you're saying that being in Mexico is an abnormal condition for people?

:P

also, aren't you the guy that runs around with balut?
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Obviously you've never been to a border town. Hot? Check. Terrible? Double-check. Why do you think so many people are trying to flee the country? Sure, drug cartels might be one reason, but I bet piss-hot beer ranks right up there.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Wait...are you working for Fox News now?
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive narrowed down my rum interests to three names.

1. Don Q Coco
2. Kōloa Kauaʻi
3. Siesta Key

Of these three I am leaning at this time to Don Q Coco. Has anyone here had any tastes of these three rums? Don Q is a Puerto Rican rum. Koloa is a Hawaiian and Siesta Key is Florida if that matters. Not to me.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I sampled the Koloa at the distillery and really liked it. Enough to buy a bottle to bring home, and it was still good at home.

edit: It wasn't the coconut rum, just the gold.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I used to buy Kraken rum but want to try different.