Whatcha drinking?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: Whatcha drinking?

Post by Jeff V »

You don't have Guinness and any sort of lager or ale available? Because that's all a black and tan is.
Black Lives Matter
disarm

Post by disarm »

Jeff V wrote:You don't have Guinness and any sort of lager or ale available? Because that's all a black and tan is.
While that is true, Yeungling makes a pretty solid Black & Tan in a can that is way easier than keeping both parts that go together well on hand.
Last edited by disarm on Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

disarm wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:46 pm
Jeff V wrote:You don't have Guinness and any sort of lager or ale available? Because that's all a black and tan is.
While that is true, Yeungling makes me a pretty solid Black & Tan in a can that is way easier than keeping both parts that go together well on hand.
How does that even work? The whole gimmick is for the two to be separate in the glass, so you have both colors present. My brother told me when he was in Ireland they considered it to be an abomination.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jam'd Juicy Ale by Brickstone Brewery, Bourbonnais, IL. This a very fruity mango/pineapple beer, almost like mango nectar. If you like those fruits, you might like this beer (I do). It's only 6% ABV though, and when I offered some to my 4-year old, she scolded me, "daddy, I'm NOT a toddler anymore!"
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Jeff V wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:46 pm
disarm wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:46 pm
While that is true, Yeungling makes me a pretty solid Black & Tan in a can that is way easier than keeping both parts that go together well on hand.
How does that even work? The whole gimmick is for the two to be separate in the glass, so you have both colors present. My brother told me when he was in Ireland they considered it to be an abomination.
Yeah, the Irish aren't too fond of the name since the Black and Tans were a paramilitary that fought against the Irish during the war of independence.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Chaos Monger DIPA by Warpigs Brewing Co., Munster, IN, 3 Floyds Brewing Co., Munster, IN, and Mikkeller Brewing Co., Copenhagen, Denmark. Naturally, with so many cooks in the kitchen, this beer is actually produced in St. Paul, MN.

Let's start with the can, how can you not buy it?

Enlarge Image

Flavor-wise, it has the rich, smooth flavor I look for in a DIPA. It has a good bitterness but also a hit of mango, so I'll consider the couple of cans I just had as all of the recommended number of fruit servings for the day.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Real Mexican restaurants are usually weak on their draft beer selection because Mexico isn't very good at beer, and historically didn't have much refrigeration. They put that lime in the neck of a Corona so that you won't taste the skunk. The only IPA this place had on tap was a new Sam Adams hazy -- the server's English could only tell me that much -- which probably would've tasted just fine but I'm boycotting Sam for political reasons. So I got a margarita. I'm starting to like margaritas more than beer with Mexican food anyway, even though the price of drinking them is eternal damnation.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Kraken wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:54 am Real Mexican restaurants are usually weak on their draft beer selection because Mexico isn't very good at beer, and historically didn't have much refrigeration. They put that lime in the neck of a Corona so that you won't taste the skunk. The only IPA this place had on tap was a new Sam Adams hazy -- the server's English could only tell me that much -- which probably would've tasted just fine but I'm boycotting Sam for political reasons. So I got a margarita. I'm starting to like margaritas more than beer with Mexican food anyway, even though the price of drinking them is eternal damnation.
Just have one good margarita instead of 2 bad beers.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:54 am Real Mexican restaurants are usually weak on their draft beer selection because Mexico isn't very good at beer, and historically didn't have much refrigeration.
This (and that they are fond of poisoning everything with toxic cilantro) are the main reasons I avoid Mexican restaurants. There is some excellent Mexican craft beer, I can get it at Binny's and do on occasion. Rick Bayless, former Obama White House chef and owner of several high-end Mexican restaurants in Chicago, carries a nice selection of craft beer, and I do enjoy going to his places when I have the opportunity.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Tropical Beer Hug DIPA Dirt Beer by Goose Island Beer Co., Chicago. This is an interesting flavor combination...you have a mango-fruit forward flavor, and then a back-of-the-palate bitterness and dirt flavoring from the DDH. At 9.9% ABV, it's one tick of the odometer short of awesome, and I paid $2.50 for a 19.2 oz can so the price is right. I wish they weren't sold out of the Lagunitas Maximus, but this will certainly serve in its stead.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:00 pm
Kraken wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:54 am Real Mexican restaurants are usually weak on their draft beer selection because Mexico isn't very good at beer, and historically didn't have much refrigeration.
This (and that they are fond of poisoning everything with toxic cilantro) are the main reasons I avoid Mexican restaurants. There is some excellent Mexican craft beer, I can get it at Binny's and do on occasion. Rick Bayless, former Obama White House chef and owner of several high-end Mexican restaurants in Chicago, carries a nice selection of craft beer, and I do enjoy going to his places when I have the opportunity.
I have seen his cooking show. That is the good kind of Mexican food.

I have been drinking from a Belching Beaver mixed 12 pack.

I have had the Mosaic DIPA and the Hazey. While both are drinkable neither is exceptional. The DIPA wasn't as smooth as most DIPA so I was a little disappointed with it.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Made chicken nachos for dinner today, with garden tomatoes, garden jalapenos, garden parsley, guac, sour cream, black beans, corn (sprinkle a handful of frozen kernels), rotisserie chicken, and El Paso taco-flavored cheese blend. They were outstanding. Washed it down with a couple cans of Goose Island IPA, not so outstanding but hey, it's on sale and it goes pretty well with nachos.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

It's October 1. Oktoberfests ought to be winding down (my town has thier's tomorrow). We should be moving into dopplebock, brown ale, and other late-fall beers now. Celebration Ale will be making an appearance soon.

It is 86 degrees out now. Still drinking summer IPAs. And the weather patterns this year not only brought drought to my state, but also to the hop fields of Oregon and California, meaning that it could be difficult to get hoppy summer beers during extended summer seasons.

The coldest day projected in the next 15 is still a high of 71. Next weekend is supposed to be in the low-mid 80's. Yesterday was the homecoming parade at the local high school. When I was a tadpole, homecoming was the middle of October, but one year it was only 10 degrees (I remember vividly, being a trumpet player in the marching band. Ever put your lips to cold brass in those temps?) At this rate, I'm going to be wearing a Speedo for my Halloween costume, and still be drinking IPA.
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Since WA produces 75% of the hops and CA produces practically none, I don't think you'll need to worry.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:23 pm Since WA produces 75% of the hops and CA produces practically none, I don't think you'll need to worry.
The Oregon drought affecting hop crops was enough to get a mention on the news here. And I know California grows some -- I watched a documentary once on Fritz Maytag and Anchor Brewing, and every year they bus their corporate employees to the hop fields (somewhere in California) ostensibly to connect them with foundations of the product.

We grow hops here in Illinois too and a fairly local brewery (Tangled Roots from Ottawa) use only locally grown hops. I know you know a lot about beer production, Alefroth, but how much of Washington's crop goes to majors? It's not the amount, as much as the variety, that counts.
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

That's a good question about the majors. If they buy domestically, they more than likely buy from WA. At least they don't need to buy very many :)

I'm pretty sure we also grow the most varieties of anywhere in the U.S.

edit: Looks like Budweiser has a hop town in Idaho where they get theirs.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Oh, no doubt about that. But there's a lot of local being done on the micro scale. There's one place I've not yet been to...I don't think they can or bottle product, that has their own hop field behind their very small location. This would be the epitome of small-batch, local sourced.

My nephew's brewery is coming along, still waiting for him to have canned product so I can hook him up with a local retailer. I guess his wedding is scheduled for one year from today, and he's planning to have kegs of their product served at the wedding. I didn't make his brother's wedding, I'll go out of my way for his.
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

One of my neighborhood breweries made a fresh hop beer with local hops. Mine! (and other backyard growers).
Holman

Post by Holman »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:22 pm Yuengling is now available in Texas. I stopped drinking 5 years ago. I am kind of going back and forth on starting again just to support Yuengling.... of course the Black & Tan isn't here yet I think, so maybe I will wait.
I live in Philadelphia, where Yuengling grows on trees, but I never buy it because the owner's politics are bad.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Holman wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:27 pm
coopasonic wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:22 pm Yuengling is now available in Texas. I stopped drinking 5 years ago. I am kind of going back and forth on starting again just to support Yuengling.... of course the Black & Tan isn't here yet I think, so maybe I will wait.
I live in Philadelphia, where Yuengling grows on trees, but I never buy it because the owner's politics are bad.
I wasn't aware of that in 1994 when I was introduced to it, while living outside Philly (West Chester).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

And now for something completely different:

No-sugar Dr. Pepper w/ Cream Soda. I loved cream soda when I was a kid, but a few years ago I tried the diet Shasta version and it was sickingly sweet. Wound up tossing most of it.

This, however, is really good. Dr. Pepper is my favorite pop, and the cream soda complements it perfectly, more reminiscent to what I remember as a kid. I need to visit the produce store again and stock up, they had it for $1.50/12 pk.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The Whale Tickler Mango Imperial IPA, Spiteful Brewing, Chicago, IL. The local Buffett bar had this on tap today, a delicious, flavorful DIPA that clocks in at a respectable 9.2% ABV. I had 2 pints during the 45 minute wait for my son's dance class next door, tomorrow will be more of challenge since my daughter has only 30 minute class.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

We spent last week in Northern California and visited the Sierra Nevada Brewery in Chico. No tours yet but the restaurant and tap room were open. I had a pint of Celebration Ale with my salad.

Sierra Nevada grows there own hops, and I know hops are being grown here in the Fresno area even with the drought.

We also stopped at Cedar Crest Brewery in Redding. Really good beer and a great tap room. Worth the stop if you are in the area.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Scuzz wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:17 pm Sierra Nevada grows there own hops, and I know hops are being grown here in the Fresno area even with the drought.
Anchor grows their own too. Fritz Maytag used to bring all of the corporate employees to the hop fields once a year so they felt a connection the where the beer comes from. As does a local brewery, Tangled Roots, that exclusively uses Illinois-grown hops. I rather like it when a brewery has that sort of mission.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Back in 2007 we drove east to west across Oregon, along the Columbia River and you could see huge fields of hops being grown. That was the first time I ever saw them.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I saw Goose Island Xmas Ale at a supermarket yesterday. I'm midway between that supermarket, and another of the same chain (Jewel). I remember it selling out in nanoseconds last year, and apparently has already done so at the supermarket actually located in my town (the only reason I prefer it). Now I'm kicking myself for not buying it yesterday.

No sign of Celebration Ale yet.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Drippy Drop Fresh Hop IPA by Outer Range Brewing Co., Frisco, CO. Very citrusy, bright and light urine-colored. Sierra sort of sets the bar for fresh-hopped beers with Celebration Ale, but I've not seen it yet, so I gave this one a shot. 6.9% is middling, if it were a little stronger it might beat out Lagunitas Lil Sumpin Extra in flavor profile.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Casual Experimentation by 2nd Shift Brewing Co., St. Louis, MO. A commendable effort, not really juicy, and 7.6% ABV. It's hazy, so ILB has no use for it, but it's very easy to drink.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Black Hole in the Sky by Hidden Hand Brewing Co., Naperville, IL. First I heard of this brewery, which has to be almost next door to Solemn Oath as they are on the same not-that-big street. Urine colored, cloudy and fruity, guava is claimed and I can buy that, guava is a subtle flavor in the first place and goes pretty well in beer. 6.5% ABV is middling, but the product is tasty.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Castle Island Hi-Def, from Boston. I bought this because I went to a beer tasting last week for the first time since the pandemic started. It was just one table with four beers, and I've had all of Castle Island's IPAs (Keeper, Fiver, and this one) before, but I couldn't pass up a chance to try them side-by-side. Since I was the only one at the table I actually dropped my mask for the 5 minutes it took to try three samples.

Even though 8.4% ABV is higher than I usually buy, this one goes down deceptively smooth thanks to a strong malt backbone, and now I'm likely to get drunk, dammit. That "honey malt" intrudes on the fruity hops for more sweetness than i like so I probably won't buy it again, but I do like the creamy mouthfeel. Keeper is their better IPA.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I like ginger, I think cider's OK, and The Dirty Mayor is pretty clever name, so I'm drinking this:

It's quite good.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Would that be the late mayor of Lyons? It was a mob-infested town that used to have the highest concentration of strip clubs in the state. But for the most part, these were not "bring your bachelor party" strip clubs, they were "come alone, bring cash, pick what you like and retire to a room upstairs" type.

Every last one of them was shutdown after a sting caught the mayor and the police chief indulging...
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Hello Astro DIPA by Obscurity Brewing, Elburn, IL. Ruh-roh, I have a second reason now to not just drive through Elburn, but actually stop there. The other reason is a meat market that allegedly has hot buchta (veal loaf) on Saturday mornings, like every deli in my old 'hood had when I was growing up (I had it at the deli I ran in the late 80's). Elburn is about 15 miles straight up IL-47 from where I live.

This is a very nice beer, limited only by the choice of El Dorado and Bravo hops, neither which is particularly interesting. But it's nicely bitter, at 8% ABV it's a little on the timid side for a DIPA, but a pounder was about $3, so I'm not displeased.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Goose Island Xmas IPA by Goose Island Brewery, Chicago, IL and Ft. Collins, CO. I don't generally buy Xmas-anything until after Football and Turkey Day, but this sold out so fast last year that I didn't want to miss out. And it was on sale for $13/15 pk. And I was out of everyday beer. And at 7.5% ABV, this makes for a good everyday beer.

It's more malty than bitter, but the hops blend lingers on my tongue after every sip. It's a natural follow-up for the seasonal retirement of Marzen beers. My only disappointment is that tis the season for wet/fresh hop beers and this is a dry hopped beer. It won't replace Celebration Ale as my go-to holiday beer, but it's more affordable in quantity...as long as it remains available.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not a big beer fan but Im so bored with everything I have here. Tomorrow think Ill pick up some Amberbock.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Sumac Gose from Back Home Beer. I love a good gose, and this is a good gose.

Back Home is a new local brewery, so here's hoping they stick around. They may also be the only brewery in the country owned and operated by a Persian woman, which is nifty.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wasn't able to get my bock. Had to buy gas. Maybe next month.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

AWS260 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:28 pm Sumac Gose from Back Home Beer. I love a good gose, and this is a good gose.

Back Home is a new local brewery, so here's hoping they stick around. They may also be the only brewery in the country owned and operated by a Persian woman, which is nifty.
That sounds like a perfect spice for a gose.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I was at Target today and had the first sighting of Celebration Ale. It was $9/6 in can form (I've only ever had in bottles), which is a bit high, but I was almost out of the Goose Island Xmas IPA and needed something to carry me over a day or two.
Black Lives Matter