Netflix Original Series

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Netflix Original Series

Post by Isgrimnur »

Season 2 of House of Cards drops on 2/14.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

I guess I should start watching S1 soon then. So many backlogs... Every device I own has its own queue. The stuff I own, pwns me.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Couldn't find a House of Cards season 2 thread so I guess this one will suffice. Saw the first episode of Season 2 late last night and all i got to say :shock:

Not gonna spoiler yet let people find out on their own.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Indeed.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Yeah... so that happened.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Full House reboot
John Stamos revealed on Monday's "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" that Netflix has officially ordered 13 episodes of the "Full House" revival series, which will kick off with a one-hour special reuniting the Tanner family. "Literally five minutes ago they called and they sealed the deal," Stamos said on the ABC late-night program.

Debuting in 2016, the new incarnation of "Full House" -- titled "Fuller House" -- will center on the recently-widowed D.J. Tanner-Fuller (Candace Cameron Bure), now a veterinarian and expecting her third child. To help care for her two young sons, 12-year-old J.D. and 7-year-old Max, her younger sister/aspiring musician Stephanie Tanner (Jodie Sweetin) and their former neighbor/single Kimmy Gibbler (Andrea Barber) move in to her San Francisco home to help.
Discussions with other original members of the "Full House" cast, such as Bob Saget, Lori Loughlin, Mary-Kate Olsen, Ashley Olsen and Dave Coulier, are ongoing. Stamos will reprise his role as Uncle Jesse and will also serve as a producer.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Have mercy.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Does anyone really look back on that show favorably? Even at the time, I thought it was the most artificially sentimental trash on television.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Lordnine wrote:Does anyone really look back on that show favorably? Even at the time, I thought it was the most artificially sentimental trash on television.
What's you're age demo?

There are plenty of late Gen X and early Gen Y people that grew up with the show. It's also the reason that Girl Meets World got made to bring Boy Meets World into the next generation. Also, it offers those people that are now parents of millennials a way to share something of their past with their new children.

I watched Full House as a young teen through HS (I was 16 during Sr. Year). If I had spawned several years after college, I'd have a young teen kid that would be right in that wheelhouse.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Lordnine wrote:Does anyone really look back on that show favorably? Even at the time, I thought it was the most artificially sentimental trash on television.
What's you're age demo?

There are plenty of late Gen X and early Gen Y people that grew up with the show. It's also the reason that Girl Meets World got made to bring Boy Meets World into the next generation. Also, it offers those people that are now parents of millennials a way to share something of their past with their new children.

I watched Full House as a young teen through HS (I was 16 during Sr. Year). If I had spawned several years after college, I'd have a young teen kid that would be right in that wheelhouse.
I’m 29. I was in early grade school when that was on TV.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Are you Benjamin Button? :shock:
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Mmm, pretty sure I’m getting older, not younger. May actually have only been in Kindergarten when we watched it. Loong time ago at this point.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Loved Full House and had a crush on Candace Cameron, so will be interested in checking it out.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I also have this reaction to the show, and had it at the time as well. I'm 42, so maybe I'm a LITTLE bit old for the target at the time, but I don't think so. By far, the cheesiest, corniest pablum I have ever watched on television. And this is coming from someone who watched and loved Three's Company! Hell, I even liked Silver Spoons, so it's not like I was above cheese and corn, but FH took it to an extreme that was too much for even my 80's minded sensibilities.

shrug. And now, as if to punish me for my evil thoughts, I see my 10 year old daughter watching reruns of the abomination every now and again.

Let's break this down:
1. Was the popularity of the show due to its "sweetness" or "so cute they're scary" kid actresses? Or maybe the hunkiness of that one Dad? At least this I could understand.
2. Was it for teh funny? This I can not abide. The jokes were deplorable, even for the times (which is saying a lot), and the acting so poor it makes Seinfeld look like Hugh Laurie or Bryan Cranston.
3. Opportunistic time slot?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Three's Company may have been cornball, but it had some risque themes and humor, and was no where near as saccharine as Full House (and was loads funnier).
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Or maybe the hunkiness of that one Dad?
Dave Coulier... Hubba hubba. ;)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Full House is Family Matters without the "comedic brilliance" of an Urkel character. :roll:

I remember even as a kid rolling my eyes every time they showed the little girl saying something "cute."

Also, this show ran for 8 years. Think about that. No wonder they say we're living in the golden age of television. Look at the utter crap we used to watch!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Not only did it run for 8 years, but it was the anchor of that night's comedy.

Cut. It. Out.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Dave used that line when he was host of Out of Control in the Nickelodeon days.
nasai

Post by nasai »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:Or maybe the hunkiness of that one Dad?
Dave Coulier... Hubba hubba. ;)
Did he go down on you in a theater?
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

...Alanis?
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

That shit can get off the ground but Twin Peaks can't?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

...Alanis?
Ya, Christine?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

YellowKing wrote:
...Alanis?
Ya, Christine?
What did the three-legged dog say?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I don't know........

(and yes, I actually went through the trouble of finding a picture of Alanis herself getting slimed. You're welcome, OO.)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:D

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

A Very Murray Christmas
"A Very Murray Christmas" reunites the actor with Sofia Coppola, who last directed him in "Lost in Translation," which earned Murray the first Oscar nomination of his career.

This first teaser doesn't show much. All that can be seen is Murray, wearing a pair of reindeer antlers, staring gloomily out a window at a vast cityscape.
The special sells itself on Murray alone, despite the fact it will apparently include appearances from the likes of George Clooney, Miley Cyrus, Amy Poehler, and Maya Rudolph as well.
Teaser at the link or your favorite massive video tube delivery system.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote:A Very Murray Christmas
"A Very Murray Christmas" reunites the actor with Sofia Coppola, who last directed him in "Lost in Translation," which earned Murray the first Oscar nomination of his career.

This first teaser doesn't show much. All that can be seen is Murray, wearing a pair of reindeer antlers, staring gloomily out a window at a vast cityscape.
The special sells itself on Murray alone, despite the fact it will apparently include appearances from the likes of George Clooney, Miley Cyrus, Amy Poehler, and Maya Rudolph as well.

It's Bill fucking Mar-ray!

On topic, The Killer hit Netflix on May 16. John Woo/Chow Yun Fat classic.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:A Very Murray Christmas

It's Bill fucking Mar-ray!

On topic, The Killer hit Netflix on May 16. John Woo/Chow Yun Fat classic.
The Killer? My God, it's full of win.
Hodor.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Brad Pitt And Netflix Might Change The Future Of Film With 'War Machine'
On Monday, Netflix announced plans to produce Brad Pitt's new satirical comedy, "War Machine," which is loosely based on Michael Hasting's bestseller The Operators: The Wild and Terrifying Inside Story of America’s War in Afghanistan. Written and directed by David Michôd ("Animal Kingdom"), the film will follow Pitt's "four-star 'rock star' general" -- sounds a bit like a modern-day Lt. Aldo Raine -- as he commands American troops in Afghanistan. With a radical new approach, Pitt's character is determined to win the war with the help of his "motley staff." Netflix plans to release "War Machine" in theaters and exclusively to its streaming members in 2016.

This news is significant, as it marks Netflix's venture into original filmmaking with one of Hollywood's biggest stars at the helm. The theatrical release also reveals the possibility of Netflix's first Oscar nomination, which could break the company into the filmmaking world in the same way the Emmy wins "House of Cards" garnered helped usher Netflix into original television. Deadline estimates that this roughly $30 million deal would be the company's largest investment in a feature film so far.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Just reading about that made me want to track down and read the book it's loosely based on. Interesting! (and tragic life of that journalist....sheesh!)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Not-Top-Gear. Maybe.
Jeremy Clarkson has confirmed to the Sunday Times that he will return to TV with a new car show.

Joining the bombastic Brit on the new show will be his former "Top Gear" cohosts Richard Hammond and James May.
Sources told the Daily Mirror's Nigel Pauley, however, that the ex-"Top Gear" trio — along with former showrunner Andy Wilman — were "very close" to a deal with Netflix.
According to the Sunday Times, the new Clarkson-fronted car show will probably debut sometime after next March.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Excellent! I look forward to Jeremy's Fists of Fury on a channel that won't censor out the best punches! I wonder if they'll devote more than a few minutes to the cars each week though? :?
He won. Period.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Welcome to Camp Firewood
Narrated by everyone's favorite spy.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote:Not-Top-Gear. Maybe.
I guess they lost out to Amazon.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Narcos is out today. Started it over lunch and it seems promising.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I've binge watched 7 episodes this weekend...and I suspect I'll watch the last three tonight. What an addictive show. The actor playing Escobar is fantastic, as is the supporting actor playing the star's partner in the DEA.
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

5 eps in, and I concur.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I will say that the amount of gay slurs that fly out of the mouths of just about everyone is a little jarring though.
He won. Period.