Age of Wonders 3

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

RMC

Re: Age of Wonders 3

Post by RMC »

Scraper wrote:
Scraper wrote:Can someone tell me how the adhoc mode works? Can I start a game where I play against another human, I take a turn, save the game, then the other person can fire it up at will take their turn, and so on? Or is the adhoc player vs CPU only?
Can anyone answer this?
Hmm... Not sure on this. I have played Multiplayer, and we saved it, but have not come back to play anymore.

I'll see if we can start the game back up if my friends are online. I think the Play by email option is planned for the future, or I think I read that.

I think you might have to have everyone online at the same time to play, so until the play by email option is added, I don't think you can do what you outline.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
RMC

Post by RMC »

Zaxxon wrote:It's a good point, though. Maybe mention it over on the official forums and see if the formula can be tweaked in a patch?
Good idea, when I get home from work, I'll do a search and see if anyone already suggest it, and if not I'll suggest it. :)
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Scraper wrote:
Scraper wrote:Can someone tell me how the adhoc mode works? Can I start a game where I play against another human, I take a turn, save the game, then the other person can fire it up at will take their turn, and so on? Or is the adhoc player vs CPU only?
Can anyone answer this?
What exactly do you mean by "adhoc mode"? Are you talking about the Random Map Generator (RMG)? If so, then yes, you can play the RMG maps multiplayer. The game currently only supports two multiplayer modes as far as I know. You can play it as hotseat on the same computer against your human opponent or you can play against them using the on-line Triumph matchmaking server. The second option requires that you have registered an account with Triumph and entered your game key. The game does NOT currently support play by email because they ran out of time to implement it before release (although the developer has said they will look at adding that later).
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

On the steam forums, there is a quite lengthy thread about poor AA and graphics optimization. Has anyone here been experiencing that?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Freyland wrote:On the steam forums, there is a quite lengthy thread about poor AA and graphics optimization. Has anyone here been experiencing that?
I'm able to run at the highest detail levels and 1680x1050 resolution (22" display) with very little jitter. I'm running an i5-2400 CPU, 16 GB RAM (AoW3 maxes out using around 1.5 GB), a run-of-the-mill HD, and a Radeon HD 7700 1GB GPU. There was a little bit on the initial release, but v1.09 addressed a few issues: one with water being a hog, another with the game slowing down after a long period of time, and a third where selecting armies could cause a momentary delay. Since v1.09, I have noticed very few hiccups.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

ColdSteel wrote:
Scraper wrote:
Can anyone answer this?
What exactly do you mean by "adhoc mode"? Are you talking about the Random Map Generator (RMG)? If so, then yes, you can play the RMG maps multiplayer. The game currently only supports two multiplayer modes as far as I know. You can play it as hotseat on the same computer against your human opponent or you can play against them using the on-line Triumph matchmaking server. The second option requires that you have registered an account with Triumph and entered your game key. The game does NOT currently support play by email because they ran out of time to implement it before release (although the developer has said they will look at adding that later).
I think the hotseat mode is what I'm looking for. I want to be able to use one computer to play against my son. I take my turn, save the game, then he takes his turn and saves the game, this way we can get to our turn whenever we have a chance.
FTE
tgb

Post by tgb »

I'm running the same resolution as Zaxxon with everything maxed. My CPU is a little weaker (I3 3.2Gb with 8GB RAM) but my video card is a superclocked Geforce 650 TI.

Runs smooth as silk.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Man, I had a pretty epic city siege today with nearly the max army count. I had nearly won, then my hero bit the bullet in the last round. Curses! Lesson learned: pull the heroes back once the outcome is determined!
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I'm still on the fence with this one. Does anyone know if the game uses Steam Cloud Saves? That may push me over the edge and get me to buy it. I know it's a silly reason, but I game on two different PCs and the cloud saves are really nice.
FTE
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Scraper wrote:I'm still on the fence with this one. Does anyone know if the game uses Steam Cloud Saves? That may push me over the edge and get me to buy it. I know it's a silly reason, but I game on two different PCs and the cloud saves are really nice.
It doesn't use Steam Cloud for saves, but the saves are linked to your Triumph account (see the KB here). I haven't tested to see if they actually migrate to a 2nd installation, though. It does make it simple for multiple people to use the same PC without stepping on each others' saves, and to set up matches with non-Steam players.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Zaxxon wrote:
Scraper wrote:I'm still on the fence with this one. Does anyone know if the game uses Steam Cloud Saves? That may push me over the edge and get me to buy it. I know it's a silly reason, but I game on two different PCs and the cloud saves are really nice.
It doesn't use Steam Cloud for saves, but the saves are linked to your Triumph account (see the KB here). I haven't tested to see if they actually migrate to a 2nd installation, though. It does make it simple for multiple people to use the same PC without stepping on each others' saves, and to set up matches with non-Steam players.
So it sounds like I could buy it on GOG and not lose out on anything. Gotta support the small publisher.
FTE
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Aside from achievements and auto-patching, yes.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I took a break from the elf campaign (I'm on map 4) and played a medium RMG game in 'Adventure' mode with no city founding to try out the Warlord class. I played as elves and just now finished it on turn 76. Warlords are quite fun and the tier 4 manticore riders are :shock:

I ended up allied with an elf Sorcerer and ended the game with an allied victory. The other 2 opponents were orcs and I wiped out the first one (a sorcerer) pretty quickly when he kept doing incursions into my territory which caused a -100 relations hit each time. After 4 or 5 turns of that he declared war on me which was pretty stupid because he had two stacks with about 4 heroes in them right by one of my cities loaded with units and a good hero. I basically wiped him out on that same turn and easily took his throne city a few turns later. They really need to tweak that part of the diplomacy AI.

The second orc was a Dreadnaught and he and his throne city were nowhere to be found. After me and my little elf buddy explored the entire surface map without finding him I knew he was hiding somewhere on the underground level. Sure enough I finally found his throne city down there and took it after a tough fight. Unfortunately the leader was nowhere to be seen so I started looking for him down there with my 3 best heroes. Then suddenly he pops out of the underground near the first orc's old throne city that I'd captured early on. He had 2 stacks and they were all heroes. I guess he didn't have enough left to pay the maintenance costs on his units since he had no cities and they disbanded. He actually had a good chance to take a very good and lightly defended city of mine but fortunately my second best hero was underground near an exit that popped up very close by. That hero was loaded with stone giants and a manticore rider so after a short chase I slaughtered him in the game's final battle.

It was pretty fun but I can see some areas with the strategic AI they'll want to address in a patch. The AIs in my game didn't do a very good job of expanding and taking neutral cities. With city founding turned off, I was able to easily outpace them all as I ended up with about 10 cities by the end of the game. They all had one each. It also doesn't seem like the AI concentrates on leveling its heroes enough. Still it was very fun and my Warlord was a melee beast at level 12 by the end. Absolutely no regrets at all on buying this.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Huge new beta patch is up on Steam. The patch list is enormous so I've hidden it within a spoiler tag. Very interested in seeing the reaction to the beta balance changes.
Spoiler:
Hi! Today’s massive Beta Patch is all about improving mid and late game balance, which is especially noticeable on the larger random scenarios. A typical scenario should now have a more gradual build up. Other goals include finalizing VPN support and tackling the bugs reported by the community and of course many more little fixes and additions as listed below.

Please let us know what you think of these changes. If all goes to plan this beta patch will be applied officially next week. Our following focus will move to resolving additional multiplayer connection issues, improvements to localized text, and adding features requested by the community. We’ve are also working on some big new features for you, which enhance empire building and diplomacy.

- The Team @ Triumph Studios.

How to switch to the beta patch:
1. Right Click ‘Age of Wonders 3′ in your Steam Library and select ‘Properties’ from the menu that appears.
2. Select the ‘BETAS’ tab in the ‘Properties’ window.
3. Set the top most combobox to ‘patch_v1.092_beta’.
4. Close the ‘Properties’ window.

Or – thanks to iHunterKiller – see:

If a beta patch is not your thing, no worries. As soon as we are happy with the beta patch we’ll make this available to everyone as an automatic update in Steam.

Change Log:

To prevent Players from rushing to and mass producing T4 units:
Add an additional city upgrades that act as prerequisites for class T3 and T4 unit production.
Also added additional city upgrades for classes without class specific T3 and T4 units that can be build in cities, to maintain cross class balance.
• Added new Arch Druid city upgrade “Henge”. This city upgrade gives an additional +5 production. This upgrade requires the Arch Druid’s Dolmen.
• Added new Arch Druid city upgrade “Megalith”. This city upgrade increases Mana Capacity by +100, allowing you to store more mana. This upgrade requires the Henge.
• Added new Dreadnought city upgrade “Blast Furnace” which is needed to produce the Cannon unit. This city upgrade also gives an additional +5 production. This upgrade requires the Dreadnought’s Foundry.
• Added new Dreadnought city upgrade “Juggernaut Factory” which is needed to produce the Juggernaut unit. This city upgrade also heals garrisoned machine units. This upgrade requires the Blast Furnace.
• Added new Rogue city upgrade “Planar Gate” which is needed to produce the Shadow Stalker unit. This city upgrade generates an additional +5 mana. This upgrade requires the Rogue’s Palace.
• Added new Rogue city upgrade “Shrouded Altar”. Monster units produced at this city gain an additional medal Rank. This upgrade requires the Planar Gate.
• Added new Sorcerer city upgrade “Mana Vault”. This city upgrade increases Mana Capacity by +100, allowing you to store more mana. This upgrade requires the Sorcerer’s Conflux.
• Added new Sorcerer city upgrade “Wizard’s Academy”. This city upgrade gives an additional +5 Research. This upgrade requires the Mana Vault.
• Added new Theocrat city upgrade “Celestial Chamber” which is needed to produce the Exalted units. This city upgrads also gives an additional +100 happiness. This upgrade requires the Theocrat’s Conclave.
• Added new Theocrat city upgrade “Holy of Holies” which is needed to produce the Shrine of Smiting. Also increases Mana Capacity by +100, allowing you to store more mana. This upgrade requires the Celestial Chamber.
• Added new Warlord city upgrade “Gladiator Pit” which is needed to produce the Blood Phalanx and Warbreed units. This city upgrade also gives an additional +100 happiness. This upgrade requires the Warlord’s Command.
• Added new Warlord city upgrade “Manticore Lair” which is needed to produce the Manticore Rider unit. This city upgrade also gives an additional +5 Reasearch. This upgrade requires the Gladiator Pit.

Reduce the need to rush for T4.
Reduce AoE bust damage for T4 units and reduce protective abilities to make them easier to counter when used without support.
• The Shrine of Smiting now has 20% Fire Weakness.
• The Juggernaut’s Fire Mortar ability now starts on cool down, Fire Broadside now does 25 physical – was 30 – and Fire Mortar now does 18 physical, 18 fire – was 20 physical, 20 fire.
• The Eldridge Horror now has Mind Control Immunity and 60% Spirit Protection, instead of Strong Will.
• The Horned God now has 20% Blight Weakness and it’s Call Lightning ability starts on cool down, now has cool down of 1 – was 2 – is a Full action – was single action. The damage amount not being displayed in game was also fixed.

To prevent the AI Player from rushing to T4 units:
• Changed research priorities to reduce AI rushing up the unit tech-tree.

To extend the duration of the mid game. I.e. the period focused on T2-3 unit production.
Reduce the city growth speed.
• Changed population growth for cities to 250 – was 300.
• Changed required population for a City to 12000 – was 10000.
• Changed starting population for a City to 14000 – was 11000.
• Changed rebel spawn population loss for a City to 3500 – was 2750.
• Changed rebel spawn population requirement for a City to 7000 – was 5500.
• Changed required population for a Metropolis to 22000 – was 18000.
• Changed starting population for a Metropolis to 24000 – was 20000.
• Changed rebel spawn population loss for a Metropolis to 6000 – was 5000.
• Changed rebel spawn population requirement for a Metropolis to 11000 – was 10000.
• Changed rebel spawn population requirement for a Metropolis to 11000 – was 10000.
Reduce city production.
• Changed the production value of the Siege Workshop to 10 – was 20.
• Changed the production value of the Master Guild to 15 – was 20.

Lower income where needed – focusing on Mana – to prevent surplus mana.
• Reduce frequency of occurrence of mana generating structures on RMG maps as a factor of distance from Player’s starting positions.

Reduce mass City Founding.
Producing settlers now stagnates city growth, making it more of a choice in the early game.
• Changed cost for the Pioneer: Gold cost 200 – was 150 – Population cost 2000 – was 750 – Recruit cost 400 – was 300.

Reduce surplus mana.
Tests in the office showed that play style was a large factor in the reported mana surplus issue. To prevent issues with superfluous mana, while not impacting players with a more exploration, expansion or magic based play style.
• Players can now hold a limited amount of mana at once. A player can hold 500 mana, researching a casting point skill or building a great temple will increase mana cap by 100.

To increase the mana spend on spells we’ve reduced the casting cost of maintained spells – to make them more worthwhile to cast – while increasing the maintenance cost – to make which spells to maintain a more deliberate decision.
• Changed the cost of the Arch Druid’s ‘One with the Elements’ to maintenance 10 – was maintenance 6.
• Changed the cost of the Arch Druid’s ‘Fertile Domain’ to cast 40, maintenance 20 – was cast 60, maintenance 9.
• Changed the cost of the Arch Druid’s ‘Insect Plague’ to cast 60, maintenance 20 – was cast 80, maintenance 9.
• Changed the cost of the Arch Druid’s ‘Poison Domain’ to cast 100, maintenance 30 – was cast 140, maintenance 16.
• Changed the cost of the Arch Druid’s ‘Thorn Hedge Walls’ to cast 120, maintenance 30 – was cast 180, maintenance 18.
• Changed the cost of the Arch Druid’s ‘Nature’s Eyes’ to cast 80, maintenance 40 – was cast 120, maintenance 12.
• Changed the cost of the Dreadnought’s ‘Suppress Nature’ to cast 100, maintenance 40 – was cast 140, maintenance 16.
• Changed the cost of the Dreadnought’s ‘Dragon Oil’ to cast 120, maintenance 30 – was cast 180, maintenance 20.
• Changed the cost of the Dreadnought’s ‘Great Mobilization’ to maintenance 80 – was maintenance 64.
• Changed the cost of the Rogue’s ‘Poison Mastery’ to cast 50, maintenance 20 – was cast 60, maintenance 8.
• Changed the cost of the Rogue’s ‘Iron Grip’ to cast 40, maintenance 20 – was cast 70, maintenance 9.
• Changed the cost of the Rogue’s Treasure Raiding to cast 60 – was cast 80.
• Changed the cost of the Rogue’s ‘Incite Revolt’ to cast 60, maintenance 40 – was cast 100, maintenance 15.
• Changed the cost of the Rogue’s ‘Corpse Looting’ to cast 60, maintenance 15 – was cast 100, maintenance 12.
• Changed the cost of the Rogue’s ‘Network of Scrying Eyes’ to cast 60, maintenance 20 – was cast 100, maintenance 12.
• Changed the cost of the Rogue’s ‘Spy Network’ to cast 150, maintenance 50 – was cast 300, maintenance 36.
• Changed the cost of the Rogue’s ‘Night Wish’ to cast 100, maintenance 20 – was cast 180, maintenance 18.
• Changed the cost of the Rogue’s ‘Age of Deception’ to maintenance 80 – was maintenance 64.
• Changed the cost of the Sorcerer’s ‘Glyphs of Warding’ to cast 40, maintenance 15 – was cast 60, maintenance 5.
• Changed the cost of the Sorcerer’s ‘Dread Omen’ to cast 60, maintenance 40 – was cast 90, maintenance 9.
• Changed the cost of the Sorcerer’s ‘Dome of Protection’ to cast 100, maintenance 20 – was cast 120, maintenance 12.
• Changed the cost of the Sorcerer’s ‘Enchanted Walls’ to cast 120, maintenance 30 – was cast 180, maintenance 18.
• Changed the cost of the Sorcerer’s ‘Summoner’s Aura’ to cast 100, maintenance 20 – was cast 120, maintenance 12.
• Changed the cost of the Sorcerer’s ‘Age of magic’ to maintenance 80 – was maintenance 64.
• Changed the cost of the Theocrat’s ‘Beacon of Faith’ to cast 50, maintenance 10 – was cast 90, maintenance 9.
• Changed the cost of the Theocrat’s ‘Paid Absolution’ to cast 80, maintenance 20 – was cast 100, maintenance 9.
• Changed the cost of the Theocrat’s ‘Prayer for the Hurt’ to cast 100, maintenance 30 – was cast 150, maintenance 15.
• Changed the cost of the Theocrat’s ‘Sanctified Sites’ to cast 100, maintenance 30 – was cast 160, maintenance 12.
• Changed the cost of the Theocrat’s ‘Denounce City’ to maintenance 20 – was maintenance 16.
• Changed the cost of the Theocrat’s ‘Hallowed Domain’ to cast 100, maintenance 20 – was cast 120, maintenance 12.
• Changed the cost of the Theocrat’s ‘Great Purge’ to cast 100, maintenance 40 – was cast 300, maintenance 32.
• Changed the cost of the Theocrat’s ‘Armageddon’ maintenance 64 – was maintenance 80.
• Changed the cost of the Warlord’s ‘Authority of the Sword’ to maintenance 5 – was maintenance 6.
• Changed the cost of the Warlord’s ‘Dread Siege’ to cast 60, maintenance 30 – was cast 80, maintenance 9.
• Changed the cost of the Warlord’s ‘Inspire Loyalty’ to maintenance 20 – was maintenance 15.
• Changed the cost of the Warlord’s ‘The Draft’ to cast 120, maintenance 30 – was cast 160, maintenance 18.
• Changed the cost of the Warlord’s ‘Conqueror’s Feast’ to cast 120, maintenance 40 – was cast 240, maintenance 24.
• Changed the cost of the Warlord’s ‘Hero Slaying’ to maintenance 30 – was maintenance 24.
• Changed the cost of the Warlord’s ‘Global Assault’ to maintenance 80 – was maintenance 64.
• Changed the cost of the Air Adept’s ‘Domain of Winter’ to cast 60, maintenance 20 – was cast 80, maintenance 12.
• Changed the cost of the Air Master’s ‘Arctic Empire’ to cast 80, maintenance 40 – was cast 100, maintenance 12.
• Changed the cost of the Earth Adept’s ‘Domain of Earth’ to cast 60, maintenance 20 – was cast 80, maintenance 12.
• Changed the cost of the Fire Adept’s ‘Domain of the Sun’ to cast 60, maintenance 20 – was cast 80, maintenance 12.
• Changed the cost of the Fire Master’s ‘Tropical Empire’ to cast 80, maintenance 40 – was cast 100, maintenance 12.
• Changed the cost of the Creation Adept’s ‘Domain of Life’ to cast 60, maintenance 20 – was cast 80, maintenance 12.
• Changed the cost of the Creation Master’s ‘Temperate Empire’ to cast 80, maintenance 40 – was cast 100, maintenance 12.
• Changed the cost of the Destruction Adept’s ‘Scorched Earth’ to cast 40, maintenance 15 – was cast 60, maintenance 9.
• Changed the cost of the Destruction Adept’s ‘Domain of Corruption’ to cast 60, maintenance 20 – was cast 80, maintenance 12.
• Changed the cost of the Destruction Master’s ‘Blight Empire’ to cast 80, maintenance 40 – was cast 100, maintenance 12.

Reduce the period of unhindered early game expansion in Random Maps
• The distance between player start positions now take into account the amount of players with regards to map size. Few players on a large map will result in a significant nearer distance. Likewise, many players on a smaller map will result in a slightly larger distance.

Made Random XL maps more closely follow the setup of other maps
• XL map feature distribution now more closely resembles the smaller maps.

Other Balance Fixes
• Berserkers: Removed Martial Arts as a level up reward, they now get the Tireless ability
• Rogue Infiltration squad Hero Upgrade now filters on Machines
• Rust Strike can’t be used twice on same unit anymore.
• Order of Healing now gives correct Healing Ability
• Suppress nature negates the effects of Domain of … spells
• Units can now attack an enemy after using Sprint.
• Dwarf Hunter base hp 35 – was 40
• Yeti now has Regeneration
• Befriend Animal Ability now has Primary Effect Link Resist
• The Explorer’s Skill Trail Running move bonus was changed to +8 – was +12
• Theocrat Exalted hp set to 50 – was 55 – and no heal ability on levelling.
• Sabotage is now a type ‘Touch’ ability – was Melee
• Dwarf first born now has Mind Control Immunity – was Strong Will
• Heal Ability now has a Cooldown of 2 – was 1
• Throw Curse now has a Cooldown of 1 turn – was 0
• Sorcerer Chaos rift now costs 70 – was 50
• Shrine of Smiting now has Ram (was Melee Strike)
• ArchDruid Summon Beast Horde now summons Blight Tusk Boars, Bleak Wargs, Dread Spider Babies, Hunter Spider Babies, Vampire Spider Babies and Dire Penguins.
• Sprint now has a cooldown of 3. Units may now attack after using sprint.
• Trebuchet and Giant Hurl Boulder ability now requires 3 action points to use
• Graphics
• Fixed an issue where the Node Serpent’s death animation glitched when hit by ‘Huge’ attacks, such as the Hellfire spell.
• Fixed an issue where some structures – e.g. hasteberries – showed an incorrect state after loading a save game.

New Features
• Improved VPN support to local multiplayer.
• Added a new advanced game option to give all leaders and heroes Resurgence, this is disabled by default
• Campaign: All heroes and leaders will have Resurgence, allowing them to return from the dead if their side wins the battle. This is disabled in “Hard” mode.
• Campaign: Implemented named saves when a campaign scenario is won
• Added tier level to unit info, allowing preview of the tier level in the city production panel in both the popup and the unit panel.
• Added an overlay image for items being couriered
• Added keyboard shortcuts for next/previous city. Defaults bindings are “;” and “,”.

Interface Fixes
• Fixed an interface dead state for the item forge by closing the interface when the city is deselected.
• Fixed an interface dead state in the Tome of Wonders after combat was completed.
• Fixed a glitch so spell icons now no longer go beyond the bounds of the overview panel.
• Fixed a bug where the vision fog area on the mini-map did not match the actual vision fog area on the world map.
• Fixed a bug where dwelling icons in the Tome of Wonders were not refreshing.
• Added a ‘Save Game’ and an ‘Exit Game’ button in the player disconnect window.
• Fixed an issue where the damage values in the abilities list would disappear after changing tabs.
• Fixed a bug where the icons in the dragon dwelling text in the Tome of Wonders were clipped in-correctly.
• Fixed the French tool-tip for “order of sacred support”.
• Localized the report feedback button.
• Fixed an issue where tooltips would remain visible in Tactical Combat
• Improved the scrollbar: holding the mouse down on the buttons now keeps scrolling and the scrollbar in the tome of wonders now also support scrolling by clicking on the scrollbar background.
• Enabled word cutoff for tabs, fixes an issue in polish where the custom leader tab would have text overflowing
• Fixed an issue in the key binding screen where the entire row would receive input.
• Fixed an issue that caused problems with the vertical alignment of the text on combo-boxes
• Fixed a bug where multiline quest headers would be unreadable due to wrong vertical alignment
• Enabled double clicking to confirm in the Lobby screens
• Fixed an issue where the icons in the overview panel weren’t clipped correctly when opening the overview directly from diplomacy
• Fixed the leader death glow – star night sky – in diplomacy
• Fixed an issue where the small quest dialogs would use the large dialog hit boxes
• Fixed an issue where the events would slide in again after a resize of the screen
• Fixed an issue where the decorations on the hero join panel weren’t clipped correctly
• Added a close button to the “item has arrived” event panel
• Translated the close button on the refugee camp event panel
• Fixed an issue where replacing selected text was impossible if the text was already at max length
• Fixed an issue where the dwelling icon wouldn’t render in the Tome of Wonders
• Enlarged the textfield of the target text to fix a bug in Russian where the text would be cut off.
• Enlarge the textfield of the “Search local” text to fix a bug in Russian where the text would be cut off.
• The save and load menu cannot be opened anymore when the new turn panel is opened. This fixed unresponsiveness of the game in this instance.
• When the reward from a dwelling opened up and a battle interrupted this screen, the reward was lost. The reward screen now re-opens after the battle has finished.
• Fixed an issue with the courier items screen: the hero icons would not show up when sending a second item right after sending the first.

Audio Fixes
• Added multichannel (i.e. 5.1) audio support.
• Fixed an issue preventing ambient sound from being enabled when leaving the diplomacy screen
• Fixed an issue with event sounds being audible for all players.
• Changed new turn sound trigger to new turn instead of end turn, allows players to hear when it’s their turn in hot seat.

Random Map Fixes
• Fixed an issue where water structures were able to be generated on river hexes, thereby blocking ships
• Fixed a bug in the ‘Land’ type maps where the map edges were temperate fertile instead of the intended terrain
• Mini-expansion player site which is generated for each player starting position has been moved from ~6 hex to ~8 hex distance from starting location.
• Fixed a bug in underground where cave exits were only being generated near player spawn area, and never on a more global level.
• Fixed a bug in the ‘Land’ type random map where Monster Dens and Haunted Boneyards were never being generated.
• Fixed a bug in the Underground where too many unit spawning structures were being generated.
• Increased chances of Haunted Boneyards being created instead of Brigand Hideouts and Monster Dens
• Fixed a clustering issue with unit spawning structures; they should be spaced out more now.
• Slightly increased chances of Flow Rock Quarry and Trading Posts being generated at expansion sites, instead of tier 1 structures like gold mines and mana nodes.

Map Specific Fixes
• Campaign: Fixed various issues with ‘capture’ quests.
• Campaign: Fixed a crash when retreating heroes and leaders from campaign battles.
• Campaign: Fixed the level cap in the campaign maps.
• 4th Elven Court map: Fixed an issue where Bormac was set loose by AI.
• 4th Commonwealth map: Prevented a situation where you could kill Carishar without it triggering your victory.
• One of the last Commonwealth map: Fixed the ‘Help the Dwarves’ and ‘Slay the Frost Dragon’ quests, they did not always trigger correctly.
• The last Elven Court maps: Made sure fairies spawned correctly in one of the final Elven Court maps, provided you had done the necessary quest in an earlier scenario.
• Taming of the Great Khan: Quests now give the intended rewards.
• Elven Resurgence: Removed the defenders from player 2′s heart of blight.
• Elven Resurgence: Reduced Player 1′s starting units, to match the strength of the other players.
• Elven Resurgence: Increased the gold income for players 3, 5 and 6, , to match the income the other players.

General Fixes
• The game doesn’t crash anymore when a hatched egg of a dead hero is selected.
• The game doesn’t crash anymore when a game is loaded which was saved before patch v1.09 in which an egg had just hatched.
• The game doesn’t crash anymore when an item is sent to a hero who just died.
• Changed allied victory so only human players need an alliance to all other players
• “Research Not Set” event is now also shown when research pickup is used or when vault of knowledge is cleared
• Fixed issue where empire morale would not be used in TC
• Fixed issue with throne tooltip showing incorrect owning player
• Fixed a bug where seasoned achievement was not properly applied when a unit would gain a level in TC
• Fixed treasure raider achievement
• Fixed issue where structure’s random defender strength was not resolved during activation resulted in out of syncs on user made maps
• Fixed issue where quest would not correctly have their rewards set
• Fixed hot seat issue where an AI player would not correctly end turn when it had won/lost
• Fixed auto combat crash
• Fixed bug in AI trade analyzer code
• Made cities way more valuable in trades
• AI will no longer trade its throne city
• AI will not trade accept cities from the other player when at war, because these are to easy to recapture
• Fixed issue bug where quests were given when a player was at war with the city
• Fixed players being able to build cities and fortress on top of map hazards, such as briar patches and cobwebs
• Strategic AI will no longer build a settler if doing so would cause a city to become underpopulated.
• Fixed issues where the the AI would wait behind city walls while player killed it with spells and long range weapons
• Tactical AI will no longer spam dispel on abilities bestowed by structures on the world map
• Fixed issue in classic turns which caused turn order to be handled incorrectly in some cases, when a player is defeated.
• The AI will no longer target concealed stacks with damage spells on the strategic map
• Fixed camera controls being affected by tactical battle speed up
• Fixed certain structures still giving income to cities when occupied by enemy armies
• Fixed a crash occurring when an item is traded and the item owner died before the trade was resolved.
• Fixed an input control issue to allow 3rd party software to map gamepad button.
• Fixed an issue where second player of classic turn MP game would get a new hero every time you load a save file.
• Fixed an out of sync issue with the Freeze Water spell.
• Fixed a bug where disabling the ‘Remember Password’ check-box didn’t have any effect the next time the launcher was started.
• Play as guest check-box is now remembered for the next time that the launcher is started. This also ensures initial settings – e.g. graphics settings – are taken from the Guest profile, preventing players that only played as ‘Guest’ from having their settings be reverted to default settings..
• Fixed minor issue for players with a ‘.’ (dot) character as the final character of their account name.
• When the profile data is corrupted then the user will be notified when launching the game.
• Fixed a crash for players that are loading corrupted save games.
• Player now gets a notification when the connection to the server is lost.
• Fixed a mouse clipping issue that sometimes occurs when having multiple monitors.
• Fixed issues with camera clipping through floor in tactical maps
• Fixed issues with camera bounding area being to small or to large for tactical maps
• Fixed various graphical issues in tactical maps
• Fixed an issue where units could stand on hexes surrounded by blocking obstacles in tactical battles
• Adjusted Line of Sight settings for various objects on tactical maps
• Fixed an issue with auto-move which could cause the game to crash on pressing the end turn button.
• Fixed an issue with custom hero names not showing up properly in the event that shows up when an egg hatches.
• Fixed an exploit where concealed units in a visible stack could be found through the morale tooltip.
• The statistic screen now shows data of the last turn – the one that’s selected – correctly.
• Fixed an issue with the select next hero shortcut: the hero now gets selected instead of the city when the hero is standing on a city.
• Fixed a bug with the cycling through the heroes when the player first selects a hero stack with the mouse.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Fantastic. I especially like the changes to reduce T4 rushing.
Jag

Post by Jag »

I don't like alot of the changes. It sounds like the game will take substantially longer and it already becomes a slog by midgame.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I'm hoping that they will add some additional victory conditions. After slogging my way through most of the end game on a medium map, I finally just declared myself the winner since I was allied with everyone.

Sort of a do-it-yourself diplomatic victory.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

tgb wrote:I'm hoping that they will add some additional victory conditions. After slogging my way through most of the end game on a medium map, I finally just declared myself the winner since I was allied with everyone.

It sounds like maybe you hadn't enabled the "Allied Victory" condition on your map? I just won an allied victory on a medium map once my ally and I destroyed our last opponent. So it is in there and it works.
Jag wrote:I don't like alot of the changes. It sounds like the game will take substantially longer and it already becomes a slog by midgame.
The idea is to make the early and midgame last longer by delaying the onset of the T4 units which make T1 and T2 troops much less useful. And also to keep the AI from spamming T4 troops to the exclusion of all else. It should not make the games longer, just stretch out the middle part of it and shorten the end game. And that's a good thing. However, whether this patch actually does that or not remains to be seen. I have my doubts. I don't understand why they didn't beef up the T1 and T2 units some so they'd compete better rather than just nerfing the T4 units, which were quite fun, I thought. I hate that kind of balancing. I generally prefer buffing to balance rather than nerfing to balance.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Yeah, I am not at all sure that these changes are really good or not. I do think it is too easy to get to T4 units, as I usually only used T1 and T2 units to scout and protect my better units.

I would have liked to see T1 and 2 units go up a little, maybe with some different buffs, or other things rather then just add milestones to get to T3 and T4 units. But I will give them the benefit of the doubt on these changes..
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

FWIW, it's a beta patch for a reason. I'm sure they will tweak the changes based on feedback.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Zaxxon wrote:FWIW, it's a beta patch for a reason. I'm sure they will tweak the changes based on feedback.
Very good point. :)
tgb

Post by tgb »

ColdSteel wrote:
tgb wrote:I'm hoping that they will add some additional victory conditions. After slogging my way through most of the end game on a medium map, I finally just declared myself the winner since I was allied with everyone.

It sounds like maybe you hadn't enabled the "Allied Victory" condition on your map? I just won an allied victory on a medium map once my ally and I destroyed our last opponent. So it is in there and it works.
Actually I made it a point to enable it because I was already aware of how bogged down you can become on even a medium sized map. But I think I broke it because I never actually eliminated any of the A.I. factions. I just wore all 3 of them down until they were begging for peace, and at that point I could press for an alliance. I did it with the last guy to see if a victory screen would trigger, but it never did.
Jag

Post by Jag »

RMC wrote:I would have liked to see T1 and 2 units go up a little, maybe with some different buffs, or other things rather then just add milestones to get to T3 and T4 units. But I will give them the benefit of the doubt on these changes..
Yeah. I think that is what also bugged me about these changes.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

tgb wrote:I'm hoping that they will add some additional victory conditions
Looks like you are going to get your wish.
Tombles wrote:We’re looking into adding more victory conditions, we just haven’t announced anything because we’re not sure how it will work yet. It’s a very big change to be made, since we need to make sure the AI has some idea how the victory conditions work as well.

Another thing we are looking into is having the AI surrender when things look hopeless for it, so you don’t need to completely destroy each AI player to win. I believe the idea is that the player will have the option to refuse the surrender as well. This is all very much in the air still though, so things might change.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I find these ideas intriguing and wish to subscribe to their newsletter.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

ColdSteel wrote:
Tombles wrote:Another thing we are looking into is having the AI surrender when things look hopeless for it, so you don’t need to completely destroy each AI player to win. I believe the idea is that the player will have the option to refuse the surrender as well. This is all very much in the air still though, so things might change.
Yes, please!

I hate the late game slog (especially on big maps) when you know that you've won. But you have to "prove" it.

There was one game I remember playing (maybe Civ 2?) that would give you credit for the victory once you reached a certain point. Obviously it wouldn't let you get a high score or anything, but at least it would track as a win.... I think it tracked wins and loses.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
tgb

Post by tgb »

ColdSteel wrote:
tgb wrote:I'm hoping that they will add some additional victory conditions
Looks like you are going to get your wish.
Tombles wrote:We’re looking into adding more victory conditions, we just haven’t announced anything because we’re not sure how it will work yet. It’s a very big change to be made, since we need to make sure the AI has some idea how the victory conditions work as well.

Another thing we are looking into is having the AI surrender when things look hopeless for it, so you don’t need to completely destroy each AI player to win. I believe the idea is that the player will have the option to refuse the surrender as well. This is all very much in the air still though, so things might change.
I like. That will get me to pick it up again.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

1.1 is out.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Has anyone gotten the update to enable on Steam? I've exited it twice, re-launched and my version still says 1.00
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yeah, I had it before I posted this am. Even without this patch you shouldn't be on 1.00.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Zaxxon wrote:Yeah, I had it before I posted this am. Even without this patch you shouldn't be on 1.00.
What happened was that I was logged in as 'guest' because I haven't bothered to register the key. Once I logged on as myself, then even though I still don't have a registered key, it showed 1.1
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Cool.
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

tgb wrote:
ColdSteel wrote:

Actually I made it a point to enable it because I was already aware of how bogged down you can become on even a medium sized map. But I think I broke it because I never actually eliminated any of the A.I. factions. I just wore all 3 of them down until they were begging for peace, and at that point I could press for an alliance. I did it with the last guy to see if a victory screen would trigger, but it never did.
The AI players were allied with you, but the screen didn't trigger because they weren't allied with each other. I had this same issue in one of my games, and I had to declare war on one of my allies to beat the game. Fortunately this was listed as being fixed in the patch notes, so we shouldn't have this problem again.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Butterknife wrote:
tgb wrote:
ColdSteel wrote:

The AI players were allied with you, but the screen didn't trigger because they weren't allied with each other. I had this same issue in one of my games, and I had to declare war on one of my allies to beat the game. Fortunately this was listed as being fixed in the patch notes, so we shouldn't have this problem again.
Good to know. I applied the patch but haven't gone back to the game. Perhaps I should.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Butterknife wrote:
tgb wrote:
ColdSteel wrote:

I had this same problem and figured it out too. Kind of dumb, but not a huge deal.
tgb

Post by tgb »

With the new patch I got a victory screen as soon as I loaded my last saved game - so I guess you can call it a diplomatic victory - sort of.
RMC

Post by RMC »

So I am still having a blast with this game, and while I know I am feeding the beast, I am ready for some DLC for the game. A new playable race, or some extra buildings, spells and units would be welcome.

Not that I have even come close to really 'finishing' the game, but I like new shiny stuff.

I guess I am also fine with the changes with the last big patch, but I would have liked to see some of the changes done differently.

How is everyone else liking the changes from the patch?
tgb

Post by tgb »

I installed the patch but am still waiting for some new victory conditions before going back.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I've been light on AoW3 time the past couple of weeks. Looking forward to getting back into it, though.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Likewise. The last couple of weeks have been non-stop not stopping. The next week doesn't look much different.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)