Age of Wonders 3

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Jag

Re: Age of Wonders 3

Post by Jag »

I took a break and have been playing the hell out of Warlock 2. I'll be back on AOW3 soon though.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I tried to use the map editor the other day because I have a great idea for a custom map. However, my GPU goes nuts when running the editor, even when it's just the blank default new map. I fixed this with the game by turning off SSAO and turning on vsynch. However, the game settings are not carried over to the editor and there's apparently no way to change any settings for that.

I tried using NVidia control panel to create a new profile for the editor and turn vsynch on but the editor just ignores any changes like that I make to the profile. It still shows my FPS in the editor at 180. Plus there is no SSAO setting in the profile to adjust. So right now the editor is unusable for me, which is a real bummer. I posted something about this on the official forums but no response from Triumph. I sure hope they fix this.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
tgb

Post by tgb »

Checking in with GOG this evening, I notice there's now a new patch to bring it to 1.20. Does anyone know if this is the release version of the mega-patch put on Steam last week?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Steam updated today too, so I think it's something else
Jag

Post by Jag »

IceBear wrote:Steam updated today too, so I think it's something else
Here is the changelog
• Hell Hound is now called Hello Hound. Is pink, and dedicated to good.
They removed this one. Awww.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Jag wrote:
IceBear wrote:Steam updated today too, so I think it's something else
Here is the changelog
• Hell Hound is now called Hello Hound. Is pink, and dedicated to good.
They removed this one. Awww.
Man I wanted a few summoned animals that were good. I was really hoping for the Pink Hello Hound.. :(
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

With the new patch I decided to try the XL sized "Dragon's Throne" scenario. Man, what a difference playing a hand crafted map makes. Loving it so far. This is going to take a while though, that map is huge. One thing I've noticed with the recent patches, I'm always mana starved now. It's much harder to hard to come by. Of course, I am playing sorcerer and they do burn through it. I like the latest unit changes.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Jag

Post by Jag »

ColdSteel wrote:With the new patch I decided to try the XL sized "Dragon's Throne" scenario. Man, what a difference playing a hand crafted map makes. Loving it so far. This is going to take a while though, that map is huge. One thing I've noticed with the recent patches, I'm always mana starved now. It's much harder to hard to come by. Of course, I am playing sorcerer and they do burn through it. I like the latest unit changes.
I'm also playing a scenario with the new patch, forgot the name but it's me against 4-5 AI. My biggest issue is the AI seems so dumb. They are not aggressive at all. I can leave my cities practically undefended.When I find their cities, they have 1 or 2 units just sitting there, even if I park a unit right outside and I can take my time to take it over. Just bad behavior. Not sure I'm going to play again after this one. There really is no challenge.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Jag wrote:My biggest issue is the AI seems so dumb. They are not aggressive at all. I can leave my cities practically undefended.When I find their cities, they have 1 or 2 units just sitting there, even if I park a unit right outside and I can take my time to take it over. Just bad behavior.
Agreed. The tactical combat AI is competent. No complaints there. The strategic AI on the other hand is pretty meh. They were written by two different people and that seems to be the issue. Tombles wrote the combat AI and he knows what he's doing. Best I can tell, the programmer that wrote the strategic AI was an intern. If not, they should fire him and find someone that can do strategic AI. It should not be that hard to make the AI defend its cities better and to be more aggressive. In fact, a whole host of other AI sins can be covered up just by making the AI hyper aggressive.

Ironically, this puts AoW3 in a somewhat analogous position to HoMM4, which had good tactical AI but brain dead strategic AI on release. It mas made somewhat better in a few later patches before NWC went away completely (much sadness). That whole thing didn't end well. Triumph seems to understand there's an issue there and have said they plan to continue to improves the AI. I just hope they realize how important it is to the long term life of the game that they do so.
RMC

Post by RMC »

ColdSteel wrote:
Jag wrote:My biggest issue is the AI seems so dumb. They are not aggressive at all. I can leave my cities practically undefended.When I find their cities, they have 1 or 2 units just sitting there, even if I park a unit right outside and I can take my time to take it over. Just bad behavior.
Agreed. The tactical combat AI is competent. No complaints there. The strategic AI on the other hand is pretty meh. They were written by two different people and that seems to be the issue. Tombles wrote the combat AI and he knows what he's doing. Best I can tell, the programmer that wrote the strategic AI was an intern. If not, they should fire him and find someone that can do strategic AI. It should not be that hard to make the AI defend its cities better and to be more aggressive. In fact, a whole host of other AI sins can be covered up just by making the AI hyper aggressive.

Ironically, this puts AoW3 in a somewhat analogous position to HoMM4, which had good tactical AI but brain dead strategic AI on release. It mas made somewhat better in a few later patches before NWC went away completely (much sadness). That whole thing didn't end well. Triumph seems to understand there's an issue there and have said they plan to continue to improves the AI. I just hope they realize how important it is to the long term life of the game that they do so.
Yeah, it ends up being a slog way to early, and the 'enhancements' to slow down the game, have not really made the game more enjoyable for me at all.

The Mana restrictions, and the higher cost of the buildings to get to the higher tier units have lessened my enjoyment of the game. And basically, I can rally my units on the border to the AI's city, and they rarely attack me until I build up my super stack.

<shrug> I still am having fun, and I think they are trying to do some things with this game, I am just not sure I will be there when they get it fixed. There are so many other great games coming out... <sigh>
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Jag

Post by Jag »

Coldsteel you are totally correct. The tactical AI is great and really gives a fun challenge. The strategic AI is just brain dead.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Jag wrote:The strategic AI is just brain dead.
The good news is that there was just a quote from Tombles over on the SA site saying that they are finally just now turning their attention to the strategic AI. So there's still hope.
Jag

Post by Jag »

ColdSteel wrote:
Jag wrote:The strategic AI is just brain dead.
The good news is that there was just a quote from Tombles over on the SA site saying that they are finally just now turning their attention to the strategic AI. So there's still hope.
Guess I'll mop up this scenario and shelve it again. I'd love another campaign though. I like carrying my heroes over.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Development Update and Return of Journals

Posted on June 14, 2014 by Lennart Sas in news

Hi guys, just a quick post that we’re making great progress on lots of new Age of Wonders goodies for you. The upcoming update should include Steam Workshop support and Cloud Saves. This should make it easier for you to exchange user made scenarios and manage save games across multiple computers.

The tech team is working hard on porting the game to Mac (and likely: Linux). Already did most of the graphical side of things; the release will likely coincide with an expansion.

Then we’ve got lots new features and content in the works. The first new race (one with –ling in the name) is nearly complete with others in development. New races are a lot of work: core units, class unit variants, leader and hero assets, City and TC graphics, new abilities, balance, etc). We also have an exotic new dwelling, new monsters, music, classes and a new campaign in the works. We’re also testing some exciting new mechanics that include new victory conditions and a new type of quest.

Stay tuned, as the Development Journals will return in the near future!
Based on past posts, I would guess that the new race is Frostlings and not Halflings and that one of the new classes has got to be necromancer.

And for tgb, new victory conditions.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

$20 in today's Steam sale. How would you rate it, at this price? Would you consider Warlock 2 or Eador better games at this stage, or too different to compare?

My background is that I'm a titanic fan of Civ5, but have never been able to get into other 4x games too deeply. I tried the first Warlock, but I think the interface differences from Civ5 killed it for me.

I love tactical battles (e.g. the new XCOM). Is this a 4x-tactics marriage made in heaven?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I haven't played the others on your list, but if you like 4x and the tactical battle portion in particular, this game is a steal at $40 much less $20. Buy!
RMC

Post by RMC »

Sudy Nym wrote:$20 in today's Steam sale. How would you rate it, at this price? Would you consider Warlock 2 or Eador better games at this stage, or too different to compare?

My background is that I'm a titanic fan of Civ5, but have never been able to get into other 4x games too deeply. I tried the first Warlock, but I think the interface differences from Civ5 killed it for me.

I love tactical battles (e.g. the new XCOM). Is this a 4x-tactics marriage made in heaven?
The tactical battles are over the top awesome. The 4x aspect of the game is meh, and the AI at that level is not that hard of an opponent. But the tactical AI is very good.

For 20 bucks, I would say go for it, as the 4x elements are very light for this game, and the battles are the main focus.

There is a DLC coming out with I think Frostlings(a new Race), and most likely new buildings and spells.

I paid full price, and have enjoyed it and spent a lot of time playing the game. And the developer is trying to make the game better, so I think it will only get better in the future as well.

So thumbs up for 20 bucks, from me.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I'd rate it an excellent buy at $20. A lot of the issues it had at release have been addressed in subsequent patches and I expect them to continue to improve it. I've played it a ton and still enjoy it and am looking forward to the improvements and additional content they are planning. The tactical gameplay is very strong. If you like these kinds of games it's kind of a no-brainer at $20.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Probably my own fault for not looking into this more or paying attention, but I don't recall it being blatantly advertised that signing up for a 3rd party account would be necessary to play this. I fell for it with Tropico and now I guess I have to do it with this game? Ugh.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Smoove_B wrote:Probably my own fault for not looking into this more or paying attention, but I don't recall it being blatantly advertised that signing up for a 3rd party account would be necessary to play this. I fell for it with Tropico and now I guess I have to do it with this game? Ugh.
You don't need a third party account at all to play it. I don't have one. Just check the "Guest" box on the launcher and play away. The only time you need an account is if you want multiplayer matches. Then you'll need an account for Triumph's MP server.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's what I did (click guest) and yes, it did load up no problem. I didn't think I could set up profiles or that it would keep account settings - that my play time was slapped into a temporary "Guest" profile each time I logged back in. If that's not the case, it's certainly better. However, as someone that just paid them money, I would debate the "Guest" status of my game. :D
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

Just like in real life, can't expect to be treated as a VIP without them knowing who you are ;)
I loved DP too! :P - ChesspieceFace
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

New development blog talking about a new upcoming victory condition called "Seals of Power".
http://ageofwonders.com/expansion-dev-j ... condition/
When cleared, these legendary Seals of Power allow you to accumulate Seal Charges. The first player to be fully charged wins the game!

They can be pre-placed on maps, and in the Random Map Generator settings you will get the option to either play with or without Seals of Power. Since this represents a whole new way of winning the game it will add a whole new element to the gameplay experience and it can spice up the end-game...

... Seals need to be discovered and are usually placed quite some hexes away from your starting position. Seals are usually heavily defended by elemental guardians. We have expanded on the concept of the original 4 elementals to include more variants (so yes, there will be new units associated with this feature!). Once a player defeats these guardians on a new TC map, he will own the Seal and begin to accumulate charges. Other players are notified that someone is beginning to break the Seal, and its location will be revealed.

Players will need at least one unit on the Seal at all times to keep ownership of it, as the Seal’s magic actively resists anyone leeching charges from it. The Seals of Power, even after being conquered and owned, are still dangerous however! Periodically a Seal will spawn a new army of elemental guardians to attack the player occupying it. So players will need to keep strong armies on the Seals in order to keep control over them.

Usually there are multiple Seals on the map, and we’ve found that contesting over seals is most interesting when there are less Seals than there are players. If you manage to grab two Seals you will accumulate charges twice as fast, but the other players are likely to try and take them from you. You can track everyone’s progress in a new Overview, which appears on any map that has the Seals of Power victory condition enabled. There are more things in the works, like new, unique rewards for taking a Seal for the first time, and empire-wide bonuses for occupying them. Seals become highly contested areas, with alliances likely to form to stop players from winning. Of course the current victory condition of killing a leader and taking the throne city are still in place, so watch your back!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I like.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Sounds good to me.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
RMC

Post by RMC »

tgb wrote:Image

Sounds good to me.
Dire Seals to fight the Dire penguins?
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I hear they had baby seals of power in there at one time but the Orcs kept clubbing them so they had to take them out.
tgb

Post by tgb »

ColdSteel wrote:I hear they had baby seals of power in there at one time but the Orcs kept clubbing them so they had to take them out.
Totally o.t., but you just happened to hit one of my hot buttons, which is that most people wouldn't give a shit about baby seals being clubbed if they didn't look like that.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just played through the first scenario (Rogue Elf?) and lost in turn 42 or something. I didn't realize I wasn't isolated completely (I thought I was) and the enemy came at me from behind and took my capital city with little resistance. I don't quite have the combat strategy figured out yet, but so far it seems mostly intuitive. This is my first "Age of..." title, so the learning curve is on me completely.

I also sense this is the game Fallen Enchantress was trying to be, right?

Regardless I like it. It's a bit meatier than King's Bounty and Warlock so I'll need to learn the system, but it definitely feels like a solid game in the ~5 hours I've sat with it.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Question regarding difficulty levels and the Strategic AI - does upping the Difficulty make the AI better (Especially on the Strategic maps and in regards to aggressiveness), or does it just give them statistical boosts?

I pretty much stopped playing on the 2nd/3rd Elven campaign scenario as it didn't seem like the AI was doing anything on the Strategic map.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jag

Post by Jag »

In!
RMC

Post by RMC »

Jag wrote:
In!
At work, so can't look. What is in the expansion?

I am hoping more playable races..
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Here are the details in text form. Yes, new races, city upgrades, victory conditions, etc.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Zaxxon wrote:Here are the details in text form. Yes, new races, city upgrades, victory conditions, etc.
That is blocked from work as well. But new races, upgrades, and victory conditions are all good.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Lennart Sas wrote:Set sail for a new world, where exotic monstrosities, lost treasures and new empire building opportunities await!

Golden Realms greatly expands Age of Wonders III’s empire building mechanics and introduces bucket loads of new content. These new features are used in random maps, new scenarios and a new story campaign, where Halfling survivors settle in a distant land filled with danger and treasures never seen before.

New Content Includes:

The Halfling Race: The little folk are back, with new units, heroes and leaders. The jesters shoots fireworks which dazzle the enemy and the cleaver flinging brew brothers keep the Halfling armies fed while on the road. Halflings can be used with all classes and introduce the new Luck mechanic which allows them to dodge incoming attack while they’re in good spirits.Features-Allie
Golden Realms Campaign. In this three scenario campaign, you help the Halfling survivors of the Heartwood Massacre rebuild an empire in an exotic land and confront an ancient evil.
Exotic Map Locations: Capture the Naga Dwelling, home to serpentine queens and giant man-snakes, and discover new treasure sites such as the fabled Lost City to benefit your empire.
Over twenty new units: Encounter new exotic units such as the filth throwing Dread Monkeys, alluring Mermaids and the fearsome Glutton who can swallow whole regiments in one bite.
New Hero Items: The Golden Realms contain 50 new magical artifacts to discover and use. Wield the enigmatic Crystal Skull, or wear a stylish Witch Doctor’s Headdress to mix in with the locals.
Wild Magic Specialization: Unleash wild magic. Cause spontaneous mutations, warp equipment and turn orderly battles into a pandemonium where the lines of battle are violently warped.
Partisan Specialization: Use new skills for guerrilla warfare. Create concealed hide-outs and develop ambushing skills.
Two hand crafted scenarios: Playable single and multi-player these new stand-alone scenarios are built around the new features of the Golden Realms expansion.
Features-Banner

New Golden Realms Features:

Mystical City Upgrades: Arcane treasure sites located in your domain unlock new unique upgrades for your cities, making the location and specialization of your cities more important than ever. Building a city near a Crystal Tree unlocks the Enchanted Armory which reinforces your armored units.Features-Glutton
Empire Quests: Achieve empire building goals before your rivals to unlock unique rewards for your realm. This introduces a new type of indirect competition between players. Examples are the Eternal City: be the first to build a metropolis and get an awe-inspiring Monument of Prime Good and Evil, where the first player to achieve full good or full evil alignment has a party of champions the respective alignment join at no cost.
Seals of Power: A new King of the Hill style victory condition where players must capture and hold the dangerous Seals of Power structures in order to achieve victory. Don’t sit and hold back as broken seals attract extra-dimensional beings wanting to take the Seal back.
Defensive City Upgrades: Each race has a unique city defense to build. The Draconian’s Firestorm Pillar sets ablaze those who dare attack their city. Or the Bell Tower for the Humans which rallies the citizenry to shoot volleys at oncoming enemies.
Features-Banner2The new content and features mentioned above are integrated into the updated Random Map Generator.

Age of Wonders III: Golden Realms is the first premium expansion (prices TBD) and incorporates feedback from the community. It will coincide with a patch adding updated AI, balance, a new Spell Disjunction System, Steam Workshop and Cloud Saves for Steam Users. Golden Realms is set for a September 18th 2014 release and available as DLC via online stores such as Steam and GoG.

Stay Tuned for more information!
tgb

Post by tgb »

Jag wrote:
In!
Day one purchase for me.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

tgb wrote:
ColdSteel wrote:I hear they had baby seals of power in there at one time but the Orcs kept clubbing them so they had to take them out.
Totally o.t., but you just happened to hit one of my hot buttons, which is that most people wouldn't give a shit about baby seals being clubbed if they didn't look like that.
Most people don't give a shit about baby seals being clubbed.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Do we have to buy this expansion to get an AI improvement on the strategic map? Or is that even in this expansion?
Black Lives Matter
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Lorini wrote:Do we have to buy this expansion to get an AI improvement on the strategic map? Or is that even in this expansion?
No, they said they'll also be releasing a patch for everyone at the same time that includes the AI improvements.